Wix is the most popular cloud website builder in the modern web design niche. Launched in 2006, the system has gained worldwide popularity due to its amazing simplicity, convenience, intuitive web design approach and flexibility.
The website builder has one of the most versatile and rich template collections, diversity of website editing options to come up to any requirements, high end design customization settings and powerful website promotion options. It seems like the website builder has everything a user needs to start a full-featured project. However, users occasionally face the need to switch to another system, being driven by their own goals and intentions.
Actually, reasons to look for a worthy Wix alternative may be numerous. Some people may be looking for a specialized website builder to start a certain type of project. Others may search for a more complicated and feature-laden system, but there are also users, who hope to find a simpler solution.
Whatever intentions and reasons to switch from Wix to another web design platform you have, it is crucial to be aware of different types of web design platforms you may go for.
[Spoiler] Here’s a List of the Best Wix Alternatives:
- Squarespace – the best Wix alternative
- uKit – the best alternative for small business websites
- Shopify – the best alternative for ecommerce
- WordPress – best CMS alternative to Wix
- SITE123 – absolutely free alternative to Wix
- Webflow – offline website builder software
- Dreamweaver CC – powerful offline software alternative
- Weebly – most full-featured Wix alternative
- IM Creator – another SaaS website builder like Wix
- OpenCart – open source ecommerce alternative
How to Choose the Best Wix Alternative for You
The decision to transfer from Wix to another website builder is a responsible one and, thus, it’s a must to understand the issues to be considered when making the choice. With so many web design platforms available out there, it is crucial to find the one that will absolutely come up to your web design requirements and skills.
When exploring the available niche alternatives, pay attention to special parameters and specifications of the services you come across there. Just focus on the type of project you run and pick the system, which is geared towards the completion of suchlike projects.
Secondly, mind the skills you have to complete the task. Some web design platforms are meant for experienced web developers, being more complicated and feature-laden. Others, on the contrary, are extremely easy-to-use, targeting non-techies. Prior to making your final choice, think about your web design expertise and proceed to the platform selection then.
Another issue to keep in mind is the pricing policy. Each web design system offers diverse pricing options and provides different services. Calculate the approximate budget of your web project and decide how much money you are ready to invest.
Listed above are the most essential aspects to be considered, when picking a worthy Wix alternative. As far as it’s not easy to make the best choice right from the start, it is highly recommended to explore and test several systems to eventually come up with the most suitable solution.
The Different Types of Wix Alternatives
Wix is a multi-faceted website builder that lets you complete various types of projects. This means that the choice of the best alternative should mainly depend upon the type of website you run and your web design expertise. The most popular types of Wix alternatives currently include:
- Simple website builders, which are very similar to Wix in their web design approach and make it possible to start different types of web projects;
- eCommerce website builders, which focus exclusively on web store creation, management and promotion;
- Offline web building software, which requires download and installation, offering a broad range of tools/services for effective design customization;
- CMS or Content Management Systems, which mainly work great for more complex projects like big portals and blogs.
Let’s review the most popular and feature-rich systems now that belong to different groups and may be used as quality Wix alternatives.
1. Squarespace – The Best Wix Alternative
Squarespace – is the best Wix alternative, especially for those users, who aim at expressing their creative ideas, while building professional projects. The system is a nice pick to design portfolios, small digital web stores, business websites and blogs, but it can also be used to create other types of projects.
Squarespace has a collection of responsive templates, but their number is not that extensive as compared to Wix. The quality of themes, however, is high enough to give your project professional look. It takes time to master Squarespace as its interface and dashboard are somewhat oversaturated with tools, options and web design elements. The result, however, is definitely worth the time/effort investment.
The list of the most impressive Squarespace highlights is as follows:
- eCommerce Platform. The website builder allows launching and managing small-to-mid online stores, where you can sell physical and digital products.
- Portfolio Creation. As a portfolio creation tool, Squarespace grants access to multiple image editing options, such as a convenient Image Editor, integrated Getty Images collection, Focal Point Control tool, Adobe Image Editor etc.
- Blogging. The system lets you connect a blog to your website to publish and update niche-specific posts.
- Logo and Title Editing Tools. Squarespace lets you design your own brand logo and create/customize your project title to enhance your business reputation.
Squarespace pricing policy is moderate. The system has a free 14-day trial to let users test its integrated functionality. There are also 4 paid subscriptions here, the cost of which starts from 18/mo.
2. uKit – The Best Alternative for Small Business Websites
uKit – is the best alternative for small business websites, which works well for designing landing pages and promo websites, but it is initially created with the needs of entrepreneurs in mind. The website builder stands out from the crowd due to its amazing ease-of-use, convenience and intuitive web design approach.
The website builder is one of the cheapest systems in the modern web design niche. It is also one of the most feature-laden platforms, when it comes to the development of business websites. The system comes with a drag-and-drop editor and makes it possible to control each step of the web design process in the WYSIWYG mode.These are the features that make the platform the best pick for non-techies.
Among the most remarkable highlights of the website builder, it makes sense to mention the following:
- Responsive Designs. The website builder comes with a great collection of fully responsive, customizable, niche-specific and free templates.
- No Coding Required. The entire process of building a business website with uKit does not take it longer than a few hours as no special coding awareness is required to launch a project with the platform.
- eCommerce Options. uKit lets you start a web store in one of two possible ways – either by Ecwid plugin integration or via eCommerce module/widget connection.
- External Integrations. Apart from the built-in functionality, you can additionally integrate external services to your website (CRM, LiveChat, Mailchimp widgets etc.).
uKit pricing policy stands out from the crowd as the system is one of the cheapest contemporary web building solutions. There is no free plan here, yet the system allows testing its features by using a free14-day trial period. When you are ready to get started with your own website, the system will offer you to upgrade to one of its paid subscriptions. Their cost starts from $4/mo.
3. Shopify – The Best Alternative for eCommerce
Shopify – is the best alternative for eCommerce. Its entire spectrum of features is focused on launching small-to-large professional and profitable online stores. The system works well for all user categories, but it definitely takes effort and time to master its eCommerce functionality.
Shopify is a more complicated platform as compared to Wix, but if you need a large feature-laden online store, you won’t find a better Wix substitute. The software is packed with eCommerce tools and features you need to get started with any eCommerce project. For users, who have got used to managing their web stores on the go, Shopify offers a convenient app for iOS and Android.
If you are interested in working with Shopify, consider the following advantages of the platform listed below:
- Powerful eCommerce Functionality. As a professional eCommerce software, Shopify allows exploring customer profiles, connecting to fulfillment solutions and getting automatic order refunds.
- Point of Sale (POS) Software. The system boasts the advanced Point of Sale (POS) terminal, which lets you launch and manage local storefronts, adding and selling multiple products, using the available external card terminal and performing other actions.
- Third-Party Integrations. Shopify easily integrates with multiple external services that boost web store performance (Xero, Quickbooks, PayPal, social networks, Amazon Marketplace etc.).
- Advanced Marketing Options. Shopify excels at web store promotion features, granting access to high end marketing tools (creation of online receipts, analysis of web store stats, App Store, Shopify Ping, Shopify Tap & Chip Reader, BOGO discounts etc.).
Shopify doesn’t have a free plan yet it lets everyone, who wants to test the features of the system, try its 14-day trial version. To build and publish a ready-made project, you’ll have to choose from several premium subscriptions. The cost starts from $9/mo. The website builder doesn’t charge any transaction fees. However, there are extra expenses needed to perform credit card payments.
4. WordPress – Best CMS Alternative to Wix
WordPress – is the best CMS alternative to Wix, which is used to create any type of website. It allows for a broad range of design customization options and lets you build different types of quality projects. When it comes to blog creation, the system is among the leaders in the list of the most functional web building services. Mastering WordPress is somewhat complicated for newbies as the system implies the awareness of coding basics and corresponding experience.
Other WordPress advantages encompass the following points:
- Blogging Options. The CMS has a strong blog creation focus, letting you design blogs belonging to different niches and meeting versatile objectives.
- Design Customization Options. The system provides a wide spectrum of design customization tools to make websites not only visually appealing, but also functional.
- Gutenberg Editor. The system has recently introduced a new generation Gutenberg Editor, which is similar to standard website builders due to its block-based structure, which makes its application much simpler than before.
- Hosting Provider. WordPress does not offer integrated hosting options, which implies the necessity to pick a feature-rich provider and a domain name to go live with your website.
WordPress is a free CMS. It allows users building any number of websites at no cost at all. Mind that as soon as you are done with your website creation, you’ll need to host it safely. The choice of reliable hosting may pose a problem for a novice, but the system initially recommends picking Bluehost for this purpose. The cheapest Bluehost plan will cost you $3.95/mo only. Additionally, get ready to invest into plugins and templates to boost your project performance.
5. SITE123 – Absolutely Free Alternative to Wix
SITE123 – is an absolutely free alternative to Wix, which especially works great for beginners. The website builder can be used to launch any type of website, including portfolios, blogs, landing pages, web stores and small business websites. It features impressive flexibility and convenience that do not compromise with functionality.
The website builder is amazingly easy-to-use and this is what makes it a worthy substitute to Wix. You don’t have to be a coding pro to launch and run a project with the system – just follow the guidelines the system generates to get started with ease. SITE123 comes with a rich collection of responsive customizable designs, integrable widgets and high end tools.
The website bilder impresses its users by its high end features, the most remarkable of them include:
- App Market. SITE123 stands out from the crowd due to its impressive and powerful App Market, which grants access to multiple apps, widgets and add-ons available for integration (Live Chat, Galleries, social widgets, Analytic Tools etc.).
- Online Form Builder. The platform provides an opportunity to integrate the Online Form Builder to let you create different types of online forms, namely polls, questionnaires, registration forms, online enquiry forms, callback forms and more.
- Multilingual Support. With SITE123, you can create several language versions of your project based on your requirements and needs.
- Logo Maker. The website builder makes it possible to integrate an advanced Logo Maker, which lets you design, customize a professional logo for your brand.
SITE123 is very affordable for everyone. The system has a completely free plan, which never ends. To go live with your web project, the website builder lets you choose one of the premium plans. Their cost starts from $10.80/mo.
6. Webflow – Offline Website Builder Software
Webflow – is a professional offline website builder software developed with the needs and requirements of web design experts in mind. The system is quite complicated, especially for beginners with little or zero coding awareness. It lets you start complex projects with powerful integrated functionality. Webflow works best for high end portfolios, business websites, web stores, landing pages and other types of web projects.
When it comes to functionality, Webflow has more complex features and design customization tools to offer as compared to Wix. At the same time, mastering the system and its features is more time-taking, complicated and this also implies coding proficiency. In this respect, Webflow is similar to modern CMS or Adobe products.
The software has a number of specific features that make it stand out from the crowd, namely:
- Dynamic Content. With Webflow, you can start and customize web projects (forums, blogs, video/image galleries, business sections, online forms etc.), adding versatile dynamic content and using the available structures in field combinations.
- Powerful Template Editor. The software comes with an advanced template editor, which provides multiple features, such as integrable modules, dashboard elements, widgetsk, folders etc.
- Website Editing Modes. Webflow makes it possible to pick one of two website editing modes – Designer or Editor – based on your project requirements.
- Advanced Design Customization. The system is rich in advanced design customization options and tools, which don’t imply coding awareness yet allow for effective application of styles/classes management options.
Webflow is moderately-priced. The software has a free plan, which lasts for the unlimited period of time and two large packs of premium subscriptions. Each of them encompasses more detailed plans, the cost of which starts from $12/mo.
7. Dreamweaver CC – Powerful Offline Software Alternative
Adobe Dreamweaver CC – is a powerful offline software alternative to Wix, which is mainly used to set up offline applications and websites. The platform was launched and is now provided by the Creative Cloud service. Due to the complexity of design customization settings and abundance of tools to be mastered, the system is not quite easy to use for beginners. Web design pros, however, frequently give preference to it, when it comes to the creation of complex project, which imply code editing skills.
As a WYSIWYG website builder software, Dreamweaver allows controlling the result of your project creation process in the visual editor mode. Additionally, users get access to the code editor, where they can modify the web page codes to get the required website design. Wix does not provide such flexibility and deep code editing options, but it is also simpler as compared to Dreamweaver.
The software boasts an amazing abundance of integrated features, such as:
- Automated Code Completion Tool. It finishes the codes you start writing and helps simplify or speed up the website design procedure.
- Powerful Integration Options. As the Adobe product, it seamlessly integrates and synchronizes with other services available in the Adobe Stock Marketplace and Creative Cloud Library (Illustrator CC, Dimension CC and Animate CC, InDesign CC, Premiere Pro CC, Photoshop CC, After Effects CC and more).
- Third-Party Integrations. Additionally, the software integrates with third-party services, namely Bitbucket, Business Catalyst, GitHub and what not.
- Adobe Stock Marketplace. This is the best destination to look for a quality collection of illustrations and images to be downloaded to your web project from Creative Cloud.
- Multi Language Support. The software comes with multi language support (Polish, Dutch, English, Swedish, Turkish etc.), which lets you start projects in the languages provided.
There is no completely free plan in Adobe Dreamweaver yet the software comes with a free 7-day trial needed to test its feature set. There are also paid offers for individuals and enterprises here. These are Individuals Plan $29.99/mo ($239.88/year with the annual subscription) and Business Plan ($29.99/mo or $359.88/year). The system additionally provides paid subscriptions for educational institutions.
8. Weebly – Most Full-Featured Wix Alternative
Weebly – is the most full-featured Wix alternative, which allows building different types of websites, including promo pages, business websites, portfolios, blogs, landing pages and even online stores. It’s in-browser editor is also based on the WYSIWYG and drag-and-drop principles. It’s intuitive, fast and modern.
One of the most remarkable advantages of Weebly over Wix is its strong eCommerce potential (see the details in our comparison). The system, which was initially created with blogging goals in mind, has gained a powerful eCommerce focus in April 2018m being acquired by Square. What’s more, the system offers deep design customization options that do not compromise with simplicity and convenience.
Other Weebly benefits are also worth user attention and include the following points:
- Blogging. The service allows publishing and scheduling posts, selecting social media sharing options, specifying meta tags, choosing the most suitable commenting system for blog users, adding custom headers and footers for posts etc.
- Distinctive eCommerce Functionality. The platform makes it possible to create functional web stores almost in no time, making use of a broad range of built-in eCommerce features and tools.
- Advanced Membership Feature. Weebly allows creating new users and assigning roles to them to ensure effective cooperation with clients and safe website development process.
- Powerful Email Marketing Tools. The website builder grants access to high end email marketing tools (including Weebly Promote tool) to ensure proper development and promotion of your business.
Speaking about the cost aspect, Weebly has a free never-ending version, which doesn’t have any ad banners. Instead, there is a small Weebly link in the footer, which is not attention-grabbing at all. Additionally, the system has several premium subscriptions for Standard and eCommerce websites. Their cost starts from $4/mo.
9. IM Creator – Another SaaS Website Builder like Wix
IM Creator – is another SaaS website builder like Wix, which works great for students and creatives. It comes with a full set of features required to create stunning and visually appealing websites like portfolios, landing pages, promo websites, small eCommerce websites etc. This cloud website builder is very convenient and understandable for everyone and you don’t have to possess specific coding skills to work with it.
Along with impressive simplicity, the website builder unveils powerful design customization options. Its collection of free, responsive and niche-specific templates is definitely worth user attention. Whatever mobile devices you and your clients will use to browse a website, it will look stunning by adjusting to different screen sizes and resolutions. The templates are designed by professionals with the needs of creatives in mind.
The list of IM Creative advantages will be incomplete without the following features:
- eCommerce. The system comes with a powerful eCommerce engine, which lets you start, customize and promote feature-rich online stores.
- Blogging. The website builder lets you start and customize feature-laden blogs with regard to the niche you specialize in.
- Stripe-Based Templates. IM Creator templates are comprised of multiple content stripes you may choose and arrange on the web page as you need to get a unique website template.
- Widget Integration. The service lets you choose and integrate functional widgets, extensions and plugins to boost your website performance.
- White Label Feature. IM Creator is one of those website builders, which provides white labeling options for everyone, who wants to use the system under another brand.
One of the major IM Creator advantages is that the system is absolutely free for students, non-commercial projects and creatives. It offers individual domain name connection, unlimited hosting, no system ad banners and other advantages. As to the paid plans, IM Creator offers three subscriptions. Their cost starts from $8/mo.
OpenCart – Free (Open Source) Shopping Cart Solution
OpenCart – is a modern open source eCommerce alternative, which is used to set up powerful web stores. The PHP-based system lets you create any number of eCommerce projects and then manage them from a single admin panel. Mind that OpenCart requires installation, which doesn’t take much time, though.
OpenCart is a good solution, when it comes to eCommerce development. However, the CMS is quite complicated for those users, who don’t have a single notion of working with such platforms. Thus, it can be used as a Wix alternative only by those users, who have the experience of working with CMS and aim at setting up large web stores with advanced performance.
The list of impressive OpenCart advantages is as follows:
- Core+Extensions Model. OpenCart is based on the widespread core + extensions model, which means that the system has its own built-in template gallery yet it still requires installation of external plugins and add-ons.
- Powerful eCommerce Focus. Having a strong eCommerce focus, OpenCart offers multiple web store building tools (multilingual and multi channel support, email marketing, website promotion features, eCommerce templates, CRM, data security, mobile optimization etc.).
- Integrated Shopping Cart Features. The software grants access to numerous integrated shopping cart features like credit card processing, discounts management, abandoned shopping cart recovery, tax management and product stock tracking to mention a few.
The platform is free, but get ready to invest into hosting, domain name, external plugins, templates and widgets to get the most out of its functionality.
Versatility of web design options is impressive. If you face the need to look for a worthy Wix alternative for some reason, get ready to face multiple challenges. As of today, you can choose both from simple solutions like online website builders, offline website builder software and Content Management Systems and till the hardest ones like export Wix site to HTML.
Each option comes with its own characteristics, objectives, pros and cons. Each of them is good for specific web design intentions and each of them implies different degrees of coding awareness.
The final choice, however, should be based upon your long-term web design aspirations and degree of coding expertise. This matters a lot, if you don’t wish to face the need to switch to other systems in the long run.
- If you intend to set up a simple website for everyday use – then website builders will definitely work best for this purpose.
- If you expect to avail more advanced functionality from your project – then CMS will be a smarter solution.
- Do you have to work offline quite often? Then go ahead to use offline programs.
Thus, weigh all the pros and cons of all the options and consider your web design needs to make the best solution you won’t regret afterwards.