Responsive design is becoming one of the major trends in the contemporary web development niche. Whatever business website you run (or just plan to launch), making it responsive is one of the priorities that will give it extra online exposure.
Among all the available ways of creating responsive websites, using website builders is one of the most beneficial solutions and here is why:
- Website builders are easy-to-use for everyone and there is no need to possess coding skills to give your website responsive features;
- They offer a set of responsive and mobile-optimized templates that perfectly adapt to all mobile screens and make your website accessible even on the go;
- Website builders ensure quality and smooth web building experience;
- They allow creating responsive websites on your own in a couple of hours or days.
Isn’t that enough to give preference to website builders, when you have an intention to launch a responsive website?
TOP Responsive Website Builders Reviewed:
Wix – is currently the most popular all-in-one website builder, which allows creating responsive websites. The system comes with the integrated Mobile Editor, Wix ADI tool and Standard Desktop Editor that let you launch and manage websites optimized for mobile and desktop browsing.
WordPress – is the open source free CMS, which works great for the development of responsive websites. The platform has a set of built-in designs that are responsive by default and there are also many of them available online. Users can get access to plugins, integration of which can make their websites responsive.
Weebly – is a cloud website builder, which delivers nice web browsing experience due to the automatically responsive templates. The system also has a Mobile Website Builder, which allows creating mobile website versions for iOS and Android devices.
Squarespace – is a contemporary website builder that has a set of stunning features to launch responsive websites. All projects built with the system can adjust to small and large browser windows. There is also the advanced Device View option, which lets you test your website functionality and design on various screens and devices.
uKit – is the simplest responsive website builder. It’s used to create small business websites that rank high on the search engines. All uKit designs are responsive right from the start, while a convenient WYSIWYG editor lets you customize them as you need.
When it comes to selecting the best responsive website builders to launch a decent website, you may choose between offline software and online website builders.
- Offline software like WordPress, for example, is downloadable, which means that you should install it prior to starting working on your project development. It also comes with extensive integration options, which requires extra financial investments.
- Online website builders, such as Wix, Weebly, Squarespace or uKit, don’t have these requirements, which gives them a certain privilege over offline website builders in some cases.
Let’s review the best web building services to create a responsive website in details:
Wix – The Best Website Builder for Building Mobile-Friendly Websites
Wix – is the best responsive and mobile-friendly website builder, which provides extensive design customization options and works great for the development of diverse types of projects. This is the all-in-one system, which has gained worldwide popularity due to its powerful functionality, hundreds of mobile-optimized and fully-customizable templates that perfectly adapt to all screen types and resolutions.
- When building a responsive website with Wix, you can make use of its Mobile Editor. This tool allows automatically convert the desktop version of your website to the mobile-friendly mode.
- There is no need to create a separate version of your website to make it responsive. Just learn how to make use of the Mobile Editor tool to be able to create two versions of one and the same website with regard to your needs in less than no time.
- All Wix-based websites are of high quality. Building mobile-optimized websites with this service is a worthy idea, irrespective of whether you need a website for personal or business use. It will help you drive the target audience, boost website traffic and reach your goals. Wix is a great value for your money.
- It’s possible to create responsive websites with Wix now via the use of the automated ADI tool. This is the Artificial Design Intelligence option, which can help you create a full-featured website – just answer the questions the system generates and wait until Wix ADI tool will design the website for you in the automated mode based on the information you provide upon its request.
Is Wix Responsive?
While answering the question, it makes sense to consider the website editing option you’ll give preference to.
What you should know is that all websites created with Wix ADI are responsive by default. Whatever type of mobile device you use to design and browse the project with the tool, it will automatically adapt to it to provide the best user experience.
Are you going to start a project in the classic website editor? Then mind that sites created this way are mobile-friendly and can be adjusted and set up in the Mobile Editor of the system.
Wix Mobile Editor
While editing the mobile version of the project, its desktop variant will remain unchanged. This allows giving your mobile website the best design and performance needed for the unsurpassed web browsing experience.
WordPress – The Best CMS for Building Responsive Websites
WordPress – is a world popular Content Management System, which allows creating responsive websites. The system comes with its own set of integrated templates, which are optimized for mobile devices by default. You can also choose among hundreds of designs available online. The platform is initially known as a blogging system, but it now makes it possible to start and manage almost all types of projects.
- Not all WordPress themes are responsive by default. When it comes to using built-in WordPress templates, you won’t have to worry about their responsive nature. All of them are responsive right from the start. However, if you decide to opt for third-party themes available on the web, not all of them will be mobile-ready. This depends upon the developer and the type of the theme you opt for. Check this out in advance.
- You can use integrable WordPress plugins to make your websites responsive. As a CMS, WordPress implies an opportunity of plugin installation. Fortunately, there are lots of plugins and extensions, integration of which can make your website responsive. Some of them include WPTouch Mobile Plugin, Any Mobile Theme Switcher, WordPress Mobile Pack, WP Mobile Edition, Mobile Smart and Jetpack’s Mobile Theme to mention a few.
- You can switch to the responsive WordPress theme any time. As far as many WordPress users start using their mobile devices to browse projects launched with the system, there are two options you may consider to make your project mobile-ready (if it’s not optimized for mobile viewing yet). Thus, you can either create a separate mobile version of your site or switch to one of the responsive WordPress themes.
Weebly – A Worthy Website Builder for Launching Responsive Websites
Weebly – is the all-in-one website builder, which makes it possible to launch and manage quality websites without writing a line of code. The system was initially launched as a blogging platform, but it was recently acquired by Square that gave it a strong eCommerce focus. Weebly comes with a handy drag-and-drop editor and it also allows for code embedding, which is an advantage for users, who are aware of HTML basics. When it comes to the development of photography websites, the platform offers the following benefits:
- Weebly ensures built-in responsive website design. The website builder lets you create and manage responsive websites, which adjust to all mobile screens your visitors use, while browsing them. The content and navigation process automatically rearrange to fit desktop, mobile and tablet screens.
- You can balance the desktop and mobile needs of your project. With Weebly, you can launch websites that can be used on all the devices due to templates, which automatically adjust to the size and resolution of a screen.
- Go ahead to use Weebly’s Mobile Website Builder. The website builder offers the mobile version that allows quickly building mobile websites for iOS and Android devices. That’s a convenient option, when it comes to creating and managing website on the go and in the real-time mode.
- Drag-and-drop mobile web design solution. Weebly puts the power of creating mobile websites with the drag-and-drop visual editor used to customize fully-responsive designs. You can preview the final project version and make the edits before the project publication.
- The system has offered new fully-responsive themes. Even though, Weebly websites are mobile-optimized from the start, the service has introduced several fully-responsive templates that keep the project style and design consistent between the mobile and web versions.
Squarespace – A Modern Website Builder for Designing Responsive Websites
Squarespace – is a website builder that applies modern approach to the process of website development, making your projects optimized for mobile viewing in the best way possible. Squarespace themes are created with the needs and convenience of users in mind, making it possible to easily navigate the projects on any devices – from smartphones and tablets to desktop computers.
- All Squarespace websites can adjust to large and small browsers. Your Squarespace responsive website content will automatically resize with regard to the size and dimensions of your browser window.
- The system offers various mobile styles to fit the device you are using. Most Squarespace designs come with additional built-in mobile styles, which are automatically activated, when the system detects that the website is viewed on a mobile device. The purpose and benefit of the mobile styles feature is that they affect design and navigation elements to keep your project mobile-friendly for all user categories.
- Squarespace offers the advanced Device View option. The website builder lets users see the way their project display on mobile screens and text their functionality via the use of the Device View feature. This is the best way to test your project’s responsive design on a desktop screen in the process of its editing. It gives you the idea of how your project will eventually display on a standard mobile browser as well.
uKit – The Simplest Responsive Website Builder
uKit – is a system that has gained worldwide popularity as a small business website builder. The service is easy-to-use and you can actually launch any website types with it based upon your business preferences and needs. uKit is functional, convenient and affordable and it’s also extremely simple. This is what has made the system one of the contemporary industry leaders.
- uKit allows creating websites, which are responsive right from the start. There is no need to fight with complicated codes or create several versions of your website to make it accessible both on mobile and desktop devices.
- The system offers a set of responsive designs. The website builder comes with an extensive collection of responsive templates and customization tools to give them required design and functionality.
- The use of the WYSIWYG editor lets you individually control the process of website development. Due to the WYSIWYG editor, the system allows tracking all the changes you make in the real time mode and preview the way the modifications are reflected on different devices, including desktop, mobile and tablet gadgets. This gives you the realistic impression of how your ready made website will be displayed on all the devices the potential clients can use, when browsing your website.
- uKit uses the Bootstrap grid. This cannot but contributes to the responsive nature of your website, helping you get the most out of this feature.
Responsive or Mobile-Friendly?
The idea to make your website accessible on mobile devices in, undoubtedly, worth the attention, but as soon as you start exploring the available web building options, you will face two notions, namely mobile-optimized and responsive websites.
The notions are somewhat similar to each other as they both imply an opportunity to view your website on mobile devices, but there is still a notable difference between them.
What is a Responsive Website?
Responsive website – is such a kind of a website that can be viewable on all the devices, with no exception at all. Whether you wish to use a PC, a laptop, a smartphone or any other mobile device you have at hand, you won’t face any problems when visiting a responsive website.
These websites can easily adapt to any screen resolutions and sizes. The major features of responsive websites are as follows:
- As the name suggests, such websites effectively “respond” to the characteristics of devices they are viewed on;
- No need to create a separate desktop version of your website;
- SEO benefits;
- They help build customer trust and increase the amount of website visitors.
What is a Mobile-Friendly Website?
A mobile-optimized website – is a separate version of a desktop website, which can be viewed exclusively on mobile devices. Such websites are launched and coded with the only purpose in mind – to present the content to mobile users.
These projects cannot be accessible on PCs and laptops and, if you have the intention to make your mobile-optimized website accessible even to those users, who don’t have their mobile devices at hand, you’ll face the necessity to create a desktop version of it.
This implies extra investment of effort, money and time. Listed below are the major characteristics of mobile-optimized websites:
- No desktop version;
- Mobile accessibility only;
- Affordable cost;
- Orientation on a particular audience;
- Mobile-optimized experience can somewhat boost your website traffic.
Thus, there can be only one reason that can make you give preference to mobile-optimized websites. If you already own such a website and plan to use it for personal purposes without the need to engage large audiences, then there is no sense to invest into redesigning your website to make it responsive.
However, if you are just going to launch a website and have serious business intentions, then responsive design should be on the top of the list. This is where responsive website builders will be of great help to you.
Why Should I Build a Responsive Website?
Responsive design matters a lot, when it comes to contemporary web design trends. And that’s not because it is very convenient (although, this aspect is crucial as well).
That’s also because responsive websites are now ranked by the search engines. This eventually has serious impact upon your website promotion and traffic generation in the long run.
What Does Statistics Say?
Have you ever thought about the number of users, who access their favorite websites or look for the information they are interested in via their mobile devices?
Do you know the percentage of online purchases completed via smartphones or tablets these days? You might be pretty surprised to find out the recent stats!
According to the key trends and reports, the number of unique mobile users, who access their favorite websites from mobile devices, now constitutes around 5.11 billion people. That’s about 2 percent higher as compared to the previous year only. The number of active social media users has exceeded 32.48 billion users, which is 9 percent higher than a year ago.
What’s more, it is estimated that by the end of 2019, around 63.5 percent of people will be regularly using their mobile devices to access the global network. The number of mobile eCommerce, in its turn, will encompass 67.2 percent that equals about $2.32 trillion by 2021.
These figures just cannot be underestimated and if you really intend to go online, build customer base and promote your business, you won’t go without making your website responsive.
Google Opinion About Responsive Websites
At the beginning of 2015, Google announced mobile-friendliness one of the major website ranking factors used by its search engine algorithms. This has given the start to the era of website digitalization.
Much has changed since that time and you will hardly find sites that are not mobile-ready nowadays. But what about responsive websites? Are they more effective as compared to their mobile-optimized competitors/versions?
About a year ago, Google announced a new approach to the process of website indexation and ranking. This approach is now known as Mobile-First Indexing. This means that over a year ago, Google initially used the desktop version of a website, when evaluating its relevance in the search query results.
From now on, it will predominantly give preference to mobile website versions, while generating search engine results. So, if your website is not yet responsive, hurry up to take care of that not to lose your search engine positions.
What Can You Do About That?
To become responsive and to be indexed well by the search engines, your website should comply with a number of requirements. Here is what you should do about that:
- Make sure the mobile and desktop versions of your website have the same content, including texts, images with alt attributes and videos;
- Structured website data as well as meta data (titles and descriptions) for all pages should be filled out on both versions as well;
- Make sure your hosting will withstand extra traffic flow. This concerns only those users, whose websites have separate URLs for mobile versions.
Mind that the process of Mobile First Indexing is currently applied to the majority of websites. Steps listed above will help you avoid SEO-related problems.
Making your website responsive is a necessity rather than a whim. Websites accessible on different types of mobile devices and desktop computers generally drive more users, boost traffic, build customer trust and help generate more profit.
Among a variety of ways to make your website responsive, using website builders is the most suitable solution. These systems are not only easy-to-use and convenient. They also come with specific features that contribute to smooth and simple web building experience, which results in the creation of responsive websites.