Secure internet browsing is the matter of common sense rather than privilege especially considering the use of the virtual private network. Also known under the shorter VPN name the system comes as a handy tool whenever a user craves for online security or a path to websites that are blocked for any reason. VPN services appear to be your personal online guides to the world of blocked content rich with latest movies, fresh episode catalogs, music streams, and more.
All you need is to pick a proper service provider. This is where you may feel a bit confused considering a huge option of VPN provider popping out. Most of them offer actually the same features at different prices. How to define the best VPN offer? What factors to consider when choosing a proper service? The article highlights the top 10 VPN providers depicting their core features and things you may like. Benefit from core specs and key data.
VPN Services Introduction
The key idea of the VPN service is to let users seamlessly change their IP addresses directing them to secured servers. As a result, we can benefit from extended confidential features and full anonymity when visiting blocked websites containing restricted content.
While the fundamental mission is the same in all VPN providers, the approach might be different. So, you need to check the following before choosing a company:
- Up-to-Date Services – the inline world is changing drastically. Make sure your VPN provider is able to deliver up-to-date applications and software. Unfortunately, a few companies actually share the way they update their platforms. The only way out is to check is the service provides VPN update along with the release of new OS and apps.
- Professional Support Team – the issue was not quite popular with VPN services several years ago. However, more and more companies tend to add Live Chat feature to ensure 24/7 customer support.
- Server Locations – the company may have hundreds of servers across the world. However, they are of no use if there is no server next to your location.
Some other features will make you dive deep in the technical specifications, which is a hassle for non-technicians. They may include DNS capabilities, connection protocols, and other things that are more likely to be new to newbies. For this reason, the list of top 10 VPN services is your simple and fast way out.
TOP VPN Services
NordVPN – is a trusted VPN provider with thousands of servers located across the globe. The company offers the latest security technologies to prevent DNS leakage in addition to fast speed either you look for long-term or short logging sessions. Affordable prices and no-log policy might also be a plus.
ExpressVPN – is a provider that boasts a huge array of servers in 160 locations. It has a professional support team in addition to a selection of high-quality applications. The service is compatible will all major OS and platforms including Linux, Mac, Windows as well as mobile operating systems like Android and iOS.
ProtonVPN – is a service that delivers top-notch encryption and protocol standards in addition to solid customer support and fast connection. At the same time, it is one of the most affordable tools offering its free VPN plan. The service was initially launched by a team of security experts.
Hotspot Shield – is a popular VPN service that has made a name for itself thanks to low prices and super-fast connection. Most users appreciate the ease of use and round-the-clock customer support with no ads to interrupt your Internet surfing session.
CyberGhost VPN – is packed with a bunch of smart features customers really love. The company boasts over 3,000 servers located in more than 60 different countries across the globe. The platform boasts decent performance and speed in addition to allowed torrents.
Le VPN – delivers flexible settings to overcome various obstacles in the face of blocked sites or restricted content. Users may easily switch between protocols and handle the network restrictions seamlessly. The company uses up-to-date security tools based on AES-256 encryption.
PureVPN – is located in Hong Kong. However, the company boasts about 2,000 of servers situated in 180 different locations. You will certainly find the one located next to your region. Apart from basic settings, the system supports Bitcoin payments making it more flexible for customers.
StrongVPN – this service does not boast thousands of servers. However, it has a good reputation due to its enriched infrastructure, great performance, and connection speed. The service does not have limits dictated by third parties, as they actually own and manage the entire VPN network without intermediaries.
Norton Secure VPN – may look a bit limited at first sight, as it does not have the Linux support. AT the same time, BitTorrent or P2P is also not allowed. However, the company is a long-running VPN provider with a good reputation and excellent performance rates.
IPVanish – delivers enormous download and connection speed with no traffic logs. At least, this is what they claim. The system has a solid easy-to-use web client in addition to 40,000+ of shared IPs. It is not as affordable as some of its competitors although it is still worth some attention.
After introducing the top services, let us have a closer look at their features, pricing, and other specs that will let you decide, which one appears to be the best-matching option.
1. NordVPN – Affordable High-End Security
NordVPN pays much attention to security features. At the same time, it is in the list of the biggest hubs across the globe. Users will appreciate affordable prices, good performance, cryptocurrency support, and high connection speed.
- Security features – the company uses advanced security means to protect users’ data with 2048-bit encryption. Extra features include protection from DNS leakage.
- Multiple Device Support – the VPN service is able to support up to six devices including both desktop and mobile gadgets.
- Thousands of Servers – a pool of servers includes over 5,000 units located in 60 different countries.
NordVPN cost: the service offers monthly and yearly plans with the same features. If you want to save up to 75%, a yearly plan costing $2.99 per month is the best bet. Price for a basic plan starts from $11.99/month.
2. ExpressVPN – Worldwide High-Speed VPN Coverage
ExpressVPN is a great VPN service with multiple native clients to support various desktop and mobile operating systems. It has over 3,000 servers in 160 locations covering 94 different countries across the globe. A flexible service with a professional support team, Bitcoin payments, Netflix unlock, and more.
- Flexibility – the system has native web clients for Windows, Linux, and Mac in addition to Android and iOS. Blackberry users may also access this VPN service.
- Custom Firmware – it makes it easy to unblock DNS content and use various streaming apps and services including smart TVs.
- Extended Support – users will find tons of detailed guides in addition to the Live Chat feature to get in touch with the support team round-the-clock.
- Extra Features – apart from baseline security features like a kill switch and DNS leak protection, users will be able to unlock Netflix content. P2P support is also available for users in addition to Bitcoin wallet.
ExpressVPN cost: users can get a 3-months free usage if opting for a 15-months plan costing $6.67. Or you can pay each month separately. In this case, the price is $12.95/month. All customers get a 30-day refund guarantee.
3. ProtonVPN – a Free Plan at No Cost
ProtonVPN will hardly take you by surprise if you are familiar with ProtonMail service. Launched by the same digital security enthusiasts, the service delivers solid privacy safety features in addition to Netflix unblocking and affordable plans. Oh, it also offers a free VPN plan.
- Meets Security Standards – the system uses AES-256 encryption that has proved to be 100% secure. It works in combination with the company’s UDP/TCP protocols to ensure maximum stability and digital safety.
- No Logging – the company establishes a so-called no-logging policy. In other words, it does not collect, store or share traffic logs. All terms are depicted in the Logging Policy that looks pretty clear and reliable.
- Leak Protection Means – the service ensures leak-free connection at high performance. The same occurs to their malicious-free files available for installation.
- Netflix Unblocking – while many VPN services offer this feature, figuring out the exact server that unblocks Netflix is like playing roulette. The situation with ProtonVPN is different. Netflix streams equally well on all of its servers.
ProtonVPN cost: as we mentioned earlier, the platform has a free plan with no hidden charges or fees. However, it comes with some basic features only. If you crave for better performance at maximum security, you are free to opt for Basic, Plus or Visionary plan costing $4, $8, and $24 per month respectively.
4. Hotspot Shield – Extended Money-Back Guarantee
Hotspot Shield faced crucial us and downs over the last years. Nevertheless, it is still one of the most reputable VPN services with all necessary features in the pack. The platform boasts high connection and download speed in addition to the longest money-back period among other competitors. You can ask for a refund within 45 days after subscribing.
- Great Download Speed – the company uses its own Catapult Hydra protocol to ensure the fastest downloading even if a user located on the distance from the nearest server.
- Multiple-Device Support – users can run the services through 5 devices simultaneously with no detriment to the connection speed.
- Ease-of-Use – the service is good for newbies thanks to its intuitive and user-friendly dashboard.
Hotspot Shield cost: the obvious lack of some extra features like Bitcoin support, Netflix unblocking, etc. can make you think Hotspot Shield is not a good value for money. However- the 2-year plan might look like a bargain costing $2.99 per month (you save up to 76%). A 6-month plan costs $8.99, while the price for a monthly plan starts from $12.99. If you are not satisfied with the set of features delivered by Hotspot Shield, you can try its commercial Elite version.
5. CyberGhost VPN – Secure Private Web Browsing
CyberGhost VPN has made a name for itself thanks to a bunch of smart features combined with a good performance at high speed. The system provides multiple support to various popular streaming apps and media players like Kodi. In addition to Torrent and VPN via router support.
- An Array of Apps – the service has multiple apps for different operating systems in addition to a solid Linux support, Torrents allowed, Netflix unblocking, etc.
- Media Services Support – users can use the VPN service to access restricted content on major media platforms including BBC iPLayer, YouTube and other streaming services.
- Secure Connection – CyberGhost uses its self-crafted security means to ensure 100% safety. The system launches automatic HTTPS redirects to let you benefit from the secure connection.
CyberGhost VPN cost: you can start with a free plan. However, prepare for some limitations. It lets you use only a single device with a few baseline features. Get advanced functionality with paid plans that include a 2-year, 6-months and monthly packages costing $2.75, $5.26 and $12.99 respectively.
6. Le VPN – Fast Connection on the Go
Le VPN is a well-recognizable VPN provider boasting servers located in 114 different countries across the globe. The service delivers enough VPN security, in addition, a bunch of extra features that support desktop and mobile devices making the service perfect for users who are always on the go.
- Flexibility – Le VPN makes it easy to seamlessly switch between OpenVPN, L2TP, and PPTP protocols depending on the user’s purposes. It is a good feature or those who travel a lot and tend to use both laptop and mobile device at the same time.
- Access to Geo-Restricted Content – the system uses its exclusive HybridVPN protocol to provide access to major streaming resources or media websites including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc.
- Simple Interface – even newbies will find it easy to sort out all features and settings at once thanks to a user-friendly interface.
Le VPN cost: users can opt for a single plan that is available as a monthly, 6-months or 12-months subscription costing $9.95, $7.50 and $4.95/mo respectively. If you decide to get a year-long package, you will get a chance to save a couple of bucks.
7. PureVPN with No-Logging Policy
PureVPN is a well-known VPN service provider, whose main advantage is no-logging policy. The company has an enormous pool of servers (up to 2,000) located in 180 different regions across the world. The company itself is located in Hong-Kong. It delivers some versatile features at affordable prices.
- No Traffic Logs – PureVPN establishes a no-logging approach to its customers. It means it does not track or store your browser and logging history.
- Bitcoin Support – users are free to pay in cryptocurrency, as the platform supports Bitcoin wallets.
- Scalable Platform – the company tries to meet customers’ need. Every time you need to grow your VPN capabilities and scale the use, the system has a business-level plan.
PureVPN cost: you can start from $2.88 per month and save up to 74% in case you pay for two years in advance. A single monthly subscription starts from $10.95, while a 6-months package will cost you $4.08.
8. StrongVPN – Excellent Infrastructure at Decent Price
StrongVPN is a savvy VPN provider with a solid no-logging policy and a decent pool of servers in 70 different locations worldwide. The platform delivers a pack of means to keep users anonymous and safe during the online session.
- Large IP Address Base – the base includes more than 59,000 of IP addresses to keep users’ confidentiality while surfing the net.
- Dedicated IP – if you need a dedicated IP, you can get the one after contacting the support team. However, it is not included in the basic plan.
- No Third-Party Limitations – the company has its self-operated infrastructure. It is the only one to determine the type of traffic or bandwidth.
StrongVPN cost: unlike many other companies with three basic plan variations, the company offers two packages that include a 1-month subscription costing $10/mo as well as a 1-year subscription for only $5.83/mo (you save 42%). All plans come with a 30-day refund policy.
9. Norton Secure VPN – An Ultimate Personal Data Protection
Norton Secure VPN service works great whenever you need to benefit from personal data protection. It keeps your passwords and payment info safe as well as ensures anonymous web browsing and access to restricted content.
- Flexible VPN Service – users are free to choose from 1 to 10 devices they want to support. However, the number of devices will influence the plan price.
- Public Wi-Fi Security – with Norton Secure, you may use public connection hotspots without any risk of being hacked. The connection keeps encrypted whether you log in from a café, airport or any other place.
- Ad Blocking Feature – you can access websites faster without any interruption thanks to the ad block function. The system automatically detects and intercepts cookies preventing them from being collected by advertising websites.
Norton Secure VPN cost: the service offers two major plans with monthly and yearly subscriptions. They cost $4.99 and $3.99 respectively for a 1 device. The price will go higher if you need from 5 to 10 devices. Basic plans are available without Norton security feature. The all-in-one package with safety means starts from $5.83 per month for the annual subscription for a single device.
10. IPVanish – Great for P2P and Torrents
IPVanish claims to be world’s top VPN service although some users will hardly agree. Self-operated infrastructure in addition to high downloading speed and powerful apps are among IPVanish obvious advantages. The system is perfect for torrenting and P2P traffic. Moreover, it has a professional support team that responds pretty fast.
- Powerful VPN Service – the system makes it possible to connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. It manages its servers without third-party services or subsidiaries. Servers are located in more than 60 different regions worldwide.
- Wide Array of Apps – users will access a variety of configurable applications for desktop Windows and Linux OS as well as for mobile iOS and Android in addition to exclusive Fire TV option.
- Extensive Torrent Support – the service is great for downloading files. It supports Torrents on literally each and every server ensuring fast connectivity, US-based Netflix unblocking, and more.
IPVanish cost: the crucial drawback is the limited money-back policy. Users have only 7 days to try the platform with a chance to apply for a refund. The yearly-package price also looks a bit too high ($6.49 per month). Users also have 3-months and 1-month subscription options that cost $8.99 and $10 respectively.
The Bottom Line
Selecting a VPN server requires careful comparing and contrasting. While most companies offer generally the same features, extended capabilities and apps really matter. They will ensure users satisfaction depending on the needs and purposes. Price is the last but not the least factor to consider
Whatever service you chose, make sure it is reliable enough with a huge pool of servers worldwide to ensure fast speed and connectivity. Also keep an eye on bandwidth or security limitations depending on the plan price. A good VPN service is flexible and versatile with mobile and desktop support, up-to-date apps and anonymous web browsing despite the location.