If you’re an aspiring e-retailer or independent artisan who’s busy making and selling handmade jewelry, pottery or whatever, you’re not likely to have time to take a night class in web development.
Overview Comparison Chart
Since launching a webstore is a headache for an inexperienced user, non-tech-savvy creatives usually either hire a programmer or try to put up a website themselves using a DIY website builder. And when it comes to the latter option, there are four or five major players in the market with Volusion and Shopify ruling the roost.
Both platforms offer an out-of-the-box shopping platform chock-full of advanced commerce features, hundreds of beautiful templates geared towards e-retailing, as well as mobile commerce solutions. At first glance, their offerings have a lot in common, but there are also many potentially crucial differences. Join us exploring them in our updated Volusion vs Shopify comparison.
Ease of Use
- Shopify. Shopify is very convenient and easy-to-use for everyone. It comes with intuitive dashboard, which is understandable to all users, with no exception. There is no need to master web design basics or learn coding aspects to master the system – it can be used to the advantage even by those people, who have never had any web building experience before. Whatever website creation and management functions you select, they will be understandable and user-friendly.
Shopify Storefront Editor deserves separate attention. It makes the store building process easy and quick by offering an opportunity to make and edit a website, controlling each step of the web creation process in a live preview area. This is an essential benefit for the non-tech savvy users.
- Volusion. Just like Shopify, Volusion is easy-to-use and convenient. It is also a nice choice for newbies willing to launch and manage quality online stores. One of the major benefits of the system is its informative and intuitive dashboard. As soon as you get access to it, you will be impressed by the abundance of data provided. This is a benefit for experienced web designers, but may be quite overwhelming for newbies.
Volusion website editor is simple as well. All the editing functions are at hand here, making it easy to give your website the desired look and functionality. You can easily make the required website changes, edit product catalogue and online store pages and make any other edits. There is also a convenient online store builder here, which allows adding and managing product categories, subcategories, products, images and complete other required actions.
Volusion vs Shopify. Both systems ensure hassle-free and quick web building process. They come with a rich feature set, convenient dashboards and intuitive user-friendly interfaces. No coding skills and web design basics are required to master and use these website builders to launch an online store from scratch and get excellent result. Shopify, however, is much easier to explore and use for people with no web design background at all. It’s more straightforward and uses simpler terminology. Everything you need is to sign up for the system (this takes a few minutes), get to the dashboard and start creating your web store. This contributes to great web building experience and ensures decent result.
Feature Set and Flexibility
Shopify. Shopify is almost unrivaled in terms of functionality. It can be rightfully considered a powerful eCommerce content management system. The system is also optimized for mobile commerce, which contributes to your web store efficacy. It has its own blogging platform, which makes it possible to connect a blog to your online store to ensure better interaction with the customers. Some of the notable features of the system are as follows:
- Abandoned Checkout Recovery. This implies sending automatic email notifications to clients, who have abandoned the shopping process, encouraging them to complete the purchases.
- Amazon Marketplace Integration. If you have your own Amazon account and you’d like to synchronize it with that in Shopify, the website builder allows doing that in a few steps only. This is a useful feature for traders, who have lots of deals and many clients in both platforms.
- Multiple Language Support. Shopify supports several languages. This feature makes the service a genuinely international or universal platform. Whatever country you come from, you can make the required settings to access and use the system in the preferred language.
- Client Profiles. This feature allows you to sort out your customers based on a number of characteristics, such as their purchase activity and history, location, payment preferences, account status etc. As a result, you can thoroughly plan your promo campaigns to get the desired revenue.
These are only several features Shopify is known for. Some other benefits of the system include dozens of payment gateways, automatic taxation, Shopify app store, free Facebook and Google accounts, customizable gift certificates, product reviews, high security level, future publishing option, multi channel synchronization and what not.
Volusion. Volusion comes with an extensive feature set to meet any web store building needs. You can launch a functional and visually appealing website with it. If you approach the web building process smartly, you can gain excellent results by making use of the advanced system features, such as:
- Powerful eCommerce Tools. The service offers several distinctive eCommerce features, which notably simplify the process of web store creation. These are barcode generator, specialized inventory management system, CSV file product import possibility and what not. You can also use special tools to calculate shipping rates and taxes, set up recurring payment collections, adjust cost-efficient shipping options, connect drop shipping integration tool etc. The range of tools is impressive here.
- Specialized Marketing Tools. Apart from eCommerce features, Volusion also offers a powerful set of marketing tools that contribute to the effective product promotion and sales generation. Some of the features, which are in demand with the system users are: an opportunity of domain connection, powerful SEO functionality, website logo and favicon upload, advanced social media management options, gift certificates, email marketing and what not.
- Conversion Boosters. Volusion creators realize well that it is almost impossible to reach excellent result without the increase of website conversion rates. To reach the goal, the system offers a set of conversion boosters that enhance the shopping experience of clients and affect the amount of sales. Some of the boosters the system can boast are: client reviews available at website pages, advanced search filter option, homepage slideshow integration, convertible product pages, product display customization, related product offers etc.
- Website Security Features. It’s crucial to ensure the utmost website security. Volusion has undertaken special measures to reach the goal. They do not only offer 24/7 customer support, but also introduce such features as utmost confidentiality, SSL website certification, round-the-clock web store accessibility, PCI certification, firewall settings customization and what not.
Volusion vs Shopify. Both website builders offer a set of similar core features required to build and manage a decent online store. Their functionality is above the average level. There is much you can do to give your eCommerce website visual appeal and excellent performance: create and manage product catalogue listings, optimize product search, offer online discounts and create coupons, introduce numerous payment gateways, advanced security features etc.
Unlike Volusion, Shopify additionally offers blogging opportunity, which is a beneficial feature in the contemporary online marketing world. Volusion, in its turn, has an out-of-the-box affiliate program, which allows users to create reseller accounts and keep track of their activity from the control panel of a website. Both website builders offer native iOS, Android and smartwatch apps allowing users to manage their stores on the go. It’s impossible to single out one system, which is a leader here. Both platforms have decent functionality, feature set and ensure rewarding web building experience.
|Number of Themes:||53||40|
|Free Themes||✔ YES||✔ YES|
|Paid Themes Cost:||$140-$180||$50-$180|
|Responsive Design||✔ YES||✔ YES|
|Sort by Industry:||✔ YES||✘ NO|
|CSS Code Editing:||✔ YES||✔ YES|
Shopify. Shopify offers 53 responsive themes (each has 3-4 different styles). As a result you receive near 150 unique webstore designs: you can create a unique store even without deep customization.
However, if you still need to make your own unique design changes, that will be a piece of cake with Shopify’s source code editor. Note, that not all the themes are free – for the best design you should pay from $140 to $180 at once.
You can easily find the theme that suits you the best as they’re separated into 11 industry categories. Believe me, this simple step may save a couple of hours of theme browsing. Besides, themes are also divided into free and paid sections.
- Volusion. This eCommrce platform offers only 40 website templates (all of them are responsive too), 27 of which are paid. Their price is $50-$180, that is less that Shopify’s cost. But the general style and design of Volusion themes looks poor comparatively to its competitor. You can also change a CSS code as you need to make a custom theme design.
Shopify vs Volusion. Shopify is a winner in this section. Its themes look modern and their overall number is almost 3 times larger than that of Volusion. Besides Shopify has a big amount of free templates that allow users with a small budget create a professionally-looking online shops.
Shopify. Quality customer support is what Shopify is known for. The system has an impressive forum that comes with tons of informative articles, tutorials, tips, recommendations, how-to guides and other related materials. There is also 24/7 email support and even a live chat here, where an experienced Shopify pro will answer your questions and help you solve all your system-related problems.
- Volusion. Volusion doesn’t lag behind Shopify in terms of customer support. The system provides an informative knowledge base, which encompasses video tutorials, FAQs materials, how-to recommendations, an eCommerce blog etc. There are also webinars here, providing detailed information on all the system-related inquiries. Live communication is also available here. If you need personal assistance or have specific questions concerning the use of the system, you can get in touch with a Volusion expert via live chat, email or telephone. Tech support is also available round-the-clock here to ensure stunning performance of your online store.
Volusion vs Shopify. When it comes to customer support, both Volusion and Shopify rank high. The systems offer an extensive knowledge base comprising detailed tutorials, how-to guides, FAQs, tips and recommendations. Volusion can boast video tutorials, while Shopify deserves the attention due to its powerful forum. The systems also have taken care of live support by offering live chat options, email and phone communication.
Both platforms seem to have reasonable price tags. At any price level, you get a decent eCommerce solution that’s enough to launch a small or medium-sized webstore. Traditionally, the more you pay, the more features you get included.
Shopify and Volusion Pricing Comparison Chart
|Pricing Plans:||✔ Lite ($9/mo);|
✔ Basic Shopify ($29/mo);
✔ Shopify ($79/mo);
✔ Advanced Shopify ($299/mo).
✔ Plus ($35/mo);
✔ Premium ($135/mo);
|Features:||✔ Shipping label discount; |
✔ Free SSL-certificate;
✔ Fraud analysis;
✔ Abandoned cart recovery;
✔ Discount codes & Gift Cards;
✔ Real-time carrier shipping.
|✔ Automatic Tax Rates; |
✔ Abandoned Cart Reports;
✔ Ebay & Amazon Integration;
✔ Phone Orders & CRM;
✔ API Access & Batch Order Processing;
✔ Deal of the Day & Customer Loyalty Plan.
While Volusion offers four plans that can be billed either annually or month to month, Shopify seems to have a bit more elaborate pricing system. In addition to the standard pricing plans they offer Lite Shopify ($9/mo) – the easiest way to add eCommerce to any website. If you already have a website built on, let’s say, WordPress, you can opt for it.
This plan will let you create a Shopify account and generate code for an embeddable Shopify button that you can add to any site. Also, Shopify offers the Retail Package add-on ($40/mo), and Shopify Plus, a cloud based, fully hosted enterprise platform for high volume merchants.
As you can see, Shopify pricing plans are more simple while those of Volusion seem to be more flexible.
If you are right about to set up a powerful and quality eCommerce website, both Shopify and Volusion will work well for this purpose. The systems are easy-to-use, convenient and understandable. The major differences between these site builders lie in the price, usability and complimentary services.
While Shopify better suits small and medium businesses, Volusion is a great solution for large online stores. Shopify comes with a blogging platform, separate POS software and some other perks. It also offers more features for newbies, making it simpler for them to explore the system and start building a web store with it. Volusion, in its turn, offers a set of features, some of which may seem complicated to newbies. The choice should be based upon your current web building needs, experience and available budget. As for me, though, Shopify is a more preferable solution, because of its price/quality correlation as well as general features of this website builder.