Volusion – is one of the leading platforms, when it comes to the development of professional eCommerce websites. The website builder has distinguished itself a trusted and full-featured tool to start all types of web stores, trangin from small platforms and up to large online hypermarkets (take a look at real Volusion examples).
Volusion comes with sufficient integrated functionality, which covers the prevailing amount of entrepreneurs’ needs and web design aspirations. However, it currently encounters financial crysis yet its management states that the company is not going to lose its positions in the eCommerce niche.
[Spoiler] Here’s a List of the Best Volusion Alternatives:
- Shopify – the best Volusion alternative
- Wix – the easiest alternative to Volusion
- WooCommerce – ecommerce plugin for WordPress
- SITE123 – SaaS-platform to build an eCommerce website
- Squarespace – online store builder with shopping cart
- Ecwid – free eCommerce plugin for any website
- Magento – open-source CMS alternative
- BigCommerce – alternative eCommerce software
How to Choose The Best Volusion Alternative For You
As soon as you start searching for a worthy web design platform to start and manage your digital store, you should initially think about the type of platform to work with. There are all-in-one and specialized systems in the modern web design niche, each of which targets a certain user category. This is where your skills should be considered as well.
If you are a just a beginner with little or no expertise in website creation, then you should pick a simple web design platform, which provides intuitive web design approach. In case your web design expertise rate is above the average, you may give preference to complex and feature-rich systems.
While making your choice, it is also essential to compare the most popular systems to define their pros, cons and special parameters. This will make it easier for you to opt for the system that suits your web design preferences most. Finally, pay special attention to the pricing policy. There are systems, which can fit different budgets, so you will surely find the most cost-effective yet functional pricing option to match your financial abilities.
The Different Types of Volusion Alternatives
Depending upon the type of website you intend to start and the result you expect to avail in the long run, it is possible to outline several popular types of platform you may choose from. When it tackles the eCommerce niche, you may choose from the following systems:
- Specialized website builders, which initially focus on web store creation and deliver an extensive choice of eCommerce features/tools;
- All-in-one website builders, which work great for all types of web projects, including digital stores;
- CMS (Content Management Systems), which are used to start complex and feature-rich websites with advanced integrated functionality.
Irrespective of your objectives, skills and system requirements, you will be interested in several reviews of the most popular and feature-laden Volusion alternatives to proceed to your eCommerce project creation. Go ahead to browse them now.
1. Shopify – The Best Volusion Alternative
Shopify – is the best Volusion alternative and the undeniable leader of the eCommerce web design niche. This is the software, which has gained worldwide reputation due to its high end eCommerce development, marketing and promotions tools, affordable pricing, advanced functionality, powerful integration options and flexibility.
Shopify provides deep web store customization options, full-featured content management system, abundance of professional designs and built-in analytics tools. It works great for beginners and web design experts, making it possible to start and manage online stores of any sizes, specialization and functionality.
As an eCommerce software, Shopify offers a rich and stunning web store template collection. Users can choose from dozens of free and paid themes, which are completely customizable, professional and responsive by default (see Shopify online store examples). To edit them, you can create and update headers/footers, set up product show windows, adjust shopping cart design, choose and set website style, background and other design elements.
Other software advantages are as follows:
- CMS and Analytic Features. Shopify makes it easy to enable customer tracking tools, launch integrated promotions via major social networks like Instagram, link any of dozens available payment options and more.
- Powerful App Store. The platform has its own app store, where you can download any necessary add-on from push up notifications to shipping bars, Black Friday banners, online currency converters and marketing messengers.
- Point-of-Sale (POS) Software. The system is known for its advanced Point-of-Sale software that makes it possible to sell products both in online and offline modes.
- Extensive Code Editing Option. Proficient website developers can make use of extensive code editing options to create and customize personalized web stores that stand out from the crowd.
- Powerful Integrations. Shopify boasts powerful integration options, letting you integrate your web store account with popular marketplaces and external platforms like Quickbooks, Xero, Amazon etc.
- Augmented Reality. The eCommerce software grants access to the contemporary Augmented Reality tool, which makes it possible to present the products offered for sale in 3D modes.
- High End Marketing Capabilities. Shopify grants access to multiple Shopify marketing features, including the possibility to create online receipts, view and analyze sales stats, apply multilingual and multichannel support options, activate Shopify Tap & Chip Reader, use BOGO discount feature etc.
- Enhanced eCommerce Management. With Shopify, you will be able to get access to lots of advanced web store management features, such as customer profile/account/group access, email templates, dropshipping options, fast order fulfillment tools and many more.
Shopify isn’t free, but it has the 14-day trial that lets you test and practice the basic functionality of the service before upgrading to one of its paid subscriptions (due to the COVID-19 trial period is extended to 90 days). The platform generally has four of them. The cheapest Shopify plan will cost you $9/mo only, while the cost of the most expensive subscription constitutes $299/mo.
2. Wix – The Easiest Alternative to Volusion
Wix – is the easiest alternative to Volusion. This is a full-featured and cost-effective all-in-one website builder, which has proven its efficacy and simplicity, when it comes to eCommerce website development. The platform works equally great for beginners and web design experts, willing to run a quality store to sell their digital/physical products without any coding involved.
With Wix, you can get access to multiple eCommerce-specific features that make it possible to start small and medium online stores in almost no time. The system comes with affordable pricing policy, proper amount of bandwidth and disk storage space, mobile-ready templates, integrated App Store, advanced SEO and analytic tools and other features that make it a worthy eCommerce web building solution.
Wix is also known for its convenient drag-and-drop editing options, appealing and logically-structured product galleries, safe shopping process, web store mobile optimization, reliable 24/7 customer support and other handy eCommerce-related features.
The list of remarkable Wix highlights is as follows:
- Integrated eCommerce Engine. What you can do to set up your eCommerce project here is creating and customizing show window design, importing/exporting products, setting up tax, shipping and payment parameters, uploading and managing product lists, adjust shopping cart settings and more.
- eCommerce Designs. The website builder has a rich collection of templates, which are well optimized for mobile viewing and can be customized with regard to the needs of users.
- Blogging and SEO Features. While Volusion does not even have a blogging engine, Wix delivers additional widgets for blog development and customization.
- Wix SEO Wiz. The website builder has launched its SEO algorithm that will create a unique SEO plan for your web store to implement efficient baseline SEO strategy including image alt, title and description texts.
- Wix ADI. The platform comes with the advanced Wix ADI tool that lets you use the power of Artificial Intelligence to create high end online stores in a fully automated mode.
- Forum. The system makes it possible to connect a forum to your online store to encourage users for better interaction and to help them share information they consider important.
- Multilingual Support. Wix is also known for its multilingual support feature, which lets you create several language versions of your online store to increase sales volume and drive the amount of customers/partners – both local and international.
- Customer Interaction Tools. With Wix, you can choose from multiple customer interaction tools to further integrate them into your eCommerce project to stay connected with the target audience, encouraging for better communication.
- User Testimonials. Wix grants access to the extensive App Market, where you can choose those widgets that will let your clients leave their reviews and testimonials directly on the website.
- Personalized ShoutOut Emails. The feature allows sending email notifications to web store clients and visitors to make them aware of the most important business news, updates, upcoming events, special offers and other related info.
The website builder offers a truly affordable pricing policy. There is a free plan you can test to check the functionality and feature set of the system. To proceed to web store development, you will have to pick one of the paid subscriptions the system offers. The cost of Business/eCommerce plans starts from $23/mo. Mind that Wix offers the 14-day money-back guarantee as well as regular discounts and bonuses that let you save big.
3. WooCommerce – eCommerce Plugin for WordPress
WooCommerce – is an official eCommerce plugin for WordPress. This is an open-source shopping cart solution, which lets you create and successfully manage feature-laden online stores with the Content Management System. The plugin has already been used to start over 350 thousands online stores and many more are under development.
WooCommerce is absolutely free for download and installation, but it grants access to the set of paid features that let you get the most out of web store performance. What you should also know is that WooCommerce implies coding and web design awareness to manage the projects launched with it.
The list of eCommerce benefits currently includes:
- Extensive Design Customization Options. The plugin makes it possible to start small and medium web stores, using a detailed wizard on how to effectively customize the project.
- Product Management Tools. WooCommerce lets you create rich product catalogues, fill them with products, set up their parameters, assign product categories, add search filter options etc.
- Hosting Selection. All web stores created with the platform require the choice of hosting and domain name.
- GEO Location Support. WooCommerce offers reliable GEO location support that allows offering users those products they need based on the location aspect.
The plugin is absolutely free for download, installation and further use. However, when you decide to go live, you will require reliable hosting that comes with the domain name. In this respect, using Bluehost will be the best solution. Being officially recommended by WordPress, the hosting provider unveils multiple advantages. Bluehost offers several subscriptions to choose from, but the cheapest plan will cost you $2.95/mo only.
4. SITE123 – SaaS Platform to Build an eCommerce Website
SITE123 – is a SaaS platform to build an eCommerce website that does not require any programming proficiency at all. The system was created with the needs, skills and interests of beginners in mind, which speaks in favor of its simplicity, intuitive web design nature and convenience. The website builder makes it possible to launch and run simple/medium digital stores with no web design background at all.
As the all-in-one website builder, SITE123 grants access to the variety of pre-designed templates. eCommerce section is available here as well. All the themes are free, responsive and absolutely customizable. Just select the one that corresponds to your web store specialization most and start editing it, using the integrated toolset the system offers.
The rest of SITE123 highlights is as follows:
- Multilingual Support. The website builder comes with multilingual support feature, which allows starting digital stores in several language versions.
- Online Form Builder. Due to the tool, everyone can design and integrate an online form into a web store to enhance its performance.
- eCommerce Widgets. The platform makes it possible to choose from several must-have eCommerce widgets and apps (Live Chat, Galleries, Booking, Online Forms, Social Widgets, etc.) to give your project deep eCommerce focus.
- Logo Maker. This is a free tool, which allows designing and adding a brand logo to your online store or uploading a ready-made one directly to the project.
- Blogging Engine. SITE123 comes with an integrated blogging platform, which is a must, when it comes to adding a blog to your online store to boost its performance.
- App Market. The website builder lets you browse its App Market with an impressive collection of widgets/add-ons and extensions (free and paid) to choose for your web store.
SITE123 is not only simple but also affordable for everyone. The website builder lets you launch a free digital store you will be able to manage for as long as you need. As far as a free subscription has a number of restrictions, you will eventually face the need to upgrade to one of the paid plans it offers. The cheapest premium subscription costs $10.80/mo.
5. Squarespace – Online Store Builder with Shopping Cart
Squarespace – is a popular online store builder with shopping cart, which stands out from the crowd due to its rich integrated feature set. The system comes with abundance of eCommerce features and tools that let you create and manage a full-featured online store with no special effort/time investment. It’s also a great pick for users willing to create appealing show windows and product portfolios to showcase their product stock.
The template collection of the system is not quite rich, but the quality of these themes is worth the attention. The templates are responsive by default and they are also completely customizable that lets you create high end and personalized web store design. eCommerce templates are also available here and it’s up to you to pick the one that comes up to your needs most.
The website builder also abounds in eCommerce features that let you develop web stores of diverse complexity level, functionality and size. Some of these features include integrated shopping cart, product presentation tools, SKUs access, multiple payment and loyalty options, multilingual support, Google Maps embedding, Logo Maker, commenting option, price specification, SSL Certificate connection, online calendar and many more.
Squarespace has multiple advantages, namely:
- Social Integrations. The website builder lets you post your web store-related info in social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Tumblr, Instagram, Dribbble, Behance, Twitch, Yelp, Dropbox, Linkedin, Pinterest, SoundCloud etc.) to be able to further update it when required.
- Show Window Design. Squarespace is known for its special parameters that let you create outstanding show windows to present the products you have in stock to the advantage.
- Acuity Scheduling Platform. This is a worthy investment for web store owners, who wish to independently start and manage professional platforms, using the integrated set of the system.
- Widget Integration. With Squarespace, you will be able to integrate eCommerce add-ons and widgets (widgets for image galleries, social media buttons, Google Analytics, eCommerce tools for cafes and restaurants etc.) to give your web store high end design and functionality.
- Payment Gateways. The website builder cannot boast the availability of numerous payment options yet it is possible to use Paypal, Stripe or Apple Pay here.
- Multiple Contributors. Squarespace allows for team cooperation, making it possible to assign different access rights to each member, who takes part in the project development process.
- Unfold Storytelling Tool. The application makes it possible to create and share interesting and engaging stories/posts in social networks to drive user attention.
The website builder is not the cheapest platform in the modern web development market, but its pricing policy is quite reasonable and it definitely correlates with the system’s functionality. You won’t be able to use a free plan here, but it’s possible to use the 14-day trial to test the provided feature set. As to the paid plans, their cost starts with $12/mo.
6. Ecwid – Free eCommerce Plugin for Any Website
Ecwid – is a free eCommerce plugin for any website, which can be integrated into any project to give it distinctive web store creation focus. The platform grants access to multiple web store promotion, customization and marketing features. They allow online retailers to offer a rich assortment of physical and digital products for sale by using versatile channels.
The eCommerce plugin boasts advanced eCommerce functionality that does not imply coding proficiency. All the steps of running Ecwid-powered stores are quite understandable and simple right from the start. To launch a project with the platform, you first have to connect a plugin to your website. It doesn’t matter what platform your current project is built on – Ecwid is compatible with all modern web design systems. As soon as you are done with that, you can create and customize product galleries and complete other steps with regard to your needs.
The list of Ecwid advantages is quite extensive and includes the following issues:
- App Market. The system grants access to multiple integrable plugins available in its rich App Market (product widgets, email marketing tools, Google Shopping app, accounting services, web customization tools etc.).
- Multilingual Support. Ecwid lets you create multilingual digital stores based on your current requirements and goals.
- Marketing Options. The plugin grants access to marketing tools (like Google Ads) to boost your web store promotion efficacy.
- Compatibility. Ecwid is compatible with modern CMS and SaaS website builders, which makes it applicable for multiple projects.
- Numerous Sales Channels. The plugin lets you integrate your web store with numerous sales channels (like global marketplaces like eBay and Amazon) to let you offer your special physical/digital products for sale.
Ecwid is a subscription-based plugin. To integrate it into any CMS or website builder, you should start with picking a suitable plan. One of Ecwid subscriptions is free, but its functionality is limited. The cost of the cheapest premium plan constitutes $15 per month.
7. Magento – Open-Source CMS Alternative
Magento – is an open-source CMS alternative, which is used to start complicated online stores with deep functionality and advanced customizability. The system mainly targets professional web developers, although inexperienced users can also use it after the system exploration. The use of the platform implies a slight learning curve, but you will be able to start web stores of all types and sizes as soon as you master it.
The CMS comes with multiple extensions and add-ons that contribute to the efficacy of your web store creation process. Having started an eCommerce project with the system, you will be able to further distribute products around the world and generate profit.
Some of the major features Magento offers are as follows:
- Product Management. As a CMS, the software ensures deep flexibility, when it comes to content editing and product page creation.
- Marketing Tools. With Magento, users avail high end web store promotion opportunities such as creating a customer’s wish list to promote specific goods, implementation of promo codes and special offers, creation of comparisons with more detailed descriptions and representations.
- Payment Methods. Users may choose from several free and paid payment gateways (Paypal, Stripe, or Braintree connection as well as extra tools to process debit cards).
- Checkout Process. Buying products with Magento is simple and convenient as both registered users and guests can handle the checkout process with ease.
The open-source CMS is free to use. To launch a full-featured store, however, you will require extra extensions. The choice of domain and hosting is also a must here. These may cost you from $10 to $50 or hire per each month of use. Additionally, you might have the desire to stand out with an advanced Magento template from the premium list. If so, get ready to pay $20-$400 more.
8. BigCommerce – Alternative eCommerce Software
BigCommerce – is an alternative eCommerce software, which was built with the only purpose in mind – to launch and run small-to-large online stores. The system works well for all user categories, although, it may take some time and effort for beginners to explore and master it to the advantage. With BigCommerce, you can effectively sell physical and digital products with regard to your customers’ needs.
The website builder has a collection of eCommerce-specific templates, which are responsive and customizable, providing access to CSS/HTML editing. You can choose from free and paid themes. The cost of premium designs ranges from $140 and up to $250. Along with that, BigCommerce comes with high end integration capabilities, promotion and marketing tools, availability of add-ons and other advantages.
Some of the most remarkable features of the software encompass:
- eCommerce Functionality. The software allows creating and customizing a product library, adjusting shipping/payment settings, configuring SEO/Marketing parameters, customer/order management options etc.
- Powerful Integrations. Users may choose from more than 600 add-ons applicable for web store integration (from Google Analytics and Glew up to ZenDesk, LiveChat and CRM integrations).
- Multiple Sales Channels. The platform can be integrated with global marketplaces, which helps grow customer base, boost sales volumes and generate profit.
- POS Software. BigCommerce supports Point of Sale software integration, which makes it possible to sell products both online and offline.
- Checkout Options. Along with the opportunity to integrate versatile payment methods, the software grants access to a number of checkout features (social media sharing solutions, adjustment of tax rates etc.).
BigCommerce has a free 15-day trial period that lets you test the software and its integrated functionality. To create a feature-rich web store and to go live with it, you’ll have to upgrade to one of the premium plans. There are 4 of them here, with the cheapest subscription costing $29.95/mo.
Volusion has proved to be a good website building platform to handle eCommerce needs. The software powers thousands of web stores in the global web. However, there are some obviously better alternatives like Shopify, Wix, WooCommerce, SITE123, Squarespace, Ecwid, Magento and BigCommerce. They are easier to use, cheaper and offer a wider option of tools and features to grow your business online.
Volusion is hardly a website builder for newbies. At the same time, it is very unlikely to put an ease on your wallet considering its plan prices. Luckily for small businesses and individuals, Shopify and Wix appear to be a more time-saving and effective solution. They are different but still serve the same purpose of building a solid website from scratch and customize pages to exceed users’ expectations.