Building a modern sports website will hardly be a walk in the park especially for users who do not have any coding and web designing skills. On the other hand, modern website builders make it easy to create a sports team or league web resource from scratch within a couple of hours. It will contain a pack of essential features that let you handle strategic issues.
Website builders are designed to put an ease on the creation process. They narrowed required actions to simply slapping the domain name together with the template in addition to intuitive and user-friendly editing tools. All you need is to define fundamental things your resource is supposed to accomplish.
Whether you create a fan page for a sports team or need to come up with an extended website for a bigger sports community featuring standings, videos, latest stats and news, website builders deliver a set of functions that will let you bring a future resource to life. They help to improve team’s online presences as well as create a recognizable and catchy sports media page.
We have conducted a detailed survey to identify the best website builders for different purposes. With so many platforms available today, choosing the right tool may look daunting especially for newbies. Our research is aimed at defining the core advantages of described builders, so you could easily pick the best bet.
We Tested Out 10 Of The Best Sports Website Builders For Leagues & Clubs
- Wix – The Best Sports Clubs & Leagues Website Builder
- Bluehost – Hosting & Website Builder for Sport Websites
- SportsPlus – Sports Management Platform for Tournaments
- Playpass – Sports Website Builder For Leagues & Clubs
- LeagueLineup – FREE Sports Team and League Management
- uCoz – FREE Sport Community Website Builder
- Jersey Watch – Website Builder for Baseball Clubs
- TeamSnap – Youth Sports Website Builder
- LeagueApps – Sports Team Website Builder
- LeagueRepublic – Website Builder for Sports Teams
When thinking about choosing the best website builder to start your sports website, it makes sense to consider the major features, pros and cons each of them offers. This will help you draw the conclusions that will affect your choice. It’s high time to review the platforms included into the list of top sports website builders now.
Wix – The Best Sports Clubs & Leagues Website Builder
Wix – is the most popular DIY website builder, which works great for the development of all types of sports websites. The platform is equally great for small team fan pages as well as for more compleх and feature-laden projects like forums, league portals etc. Wix makes it possible to start any website, irrespective of its complexity level and special features it should involve. Have a look at the major highlights Wix includes:
- Free Sports Templates – The website builder comes with a collection of sports templates available in the corresponding Sports & Fitness section, which are free, mobile-ready and completely customizable to come up to the needs of users. This is where you can choose the required design, browsing versatile niche sections, ranging from sports forums category and fan sites and up to eCommerce fan shops and sports blogs;
- Forum – The platform allows connecting a full-featured forum to your sports website by integrating the corresponding Forum widget. This lets you get in touch with your website members by letting them initiate discussions, create and manage topics or join the existing ones, upload video and photo files, leave your own comments or follow those posted by other members;
- Blogging – With Wix, you can attach a blog to your sports website to share the related niche information by means of publishing posts. The blogging engine makes it possible to add and schedule new articles, start discussions with your blog members, add a Featured posts section, enable comments in the social networks, choose from multiple blog templates etc.
- Wix Membership – Wix now offers a coding-free system for website owners that lets users sign up and gain access to exclusive content. All the benefits implied by Wix Membership feature are free unless you decide to go for payment processing or/and online bookings feature.
- eCommerce – The website builder also comes with the eCommerce platform that lets you start and manage a fan store, for example, to sell souvenirs, special sports accessories or other related items related to your sports brand.
- Sports Widgets and Extensions – Users, who intend to start sports/fitness websites, have an opportunity to choose from multiple widgets and extensions available in the App Market. There are free and paid add-ons here, which can give your project enhanced functionality and customer interaction. Some of the most useful widgets include Events, Tidio Live Chat, 123FormBuilder, Wix Pro Gallery, Live Chat, Events Calendar, Scheduling Pro, Scheduling Pro, Countdown Timer, Contact Management +CRM, Callback, Book Appointments Online, Google Event Calendar and more.
- Client Reviews and Testimonials – The App Market also has a set of widgets that let customers post their reviews on the website to share their ideas and personal experience. These include Testimonial Builder, MyReviews, Comments, Yelp, Voice Comments+, Customer Reviews, Social Testimonials etc.
- HD Video Hosting – If you need to integrate videos into your sports website, Wix lets you do that in two ways. You can either upload your video files to YouTube or another video hosting platform to further add it to your sports project or upload it directly to the service hosting to have access to it when required.
The cost of using the entire feature set Wix offers to its users depends upon the plan chosen. There is a free subscription that lets you test the system’s functionality at no cost, but comes with certain restrictions. To get rid of these limitations and gain access to the advanced Wix features, it’s desirable to upgrade to one of the paid subscriptions the system offers. These fall into 2 large groups – Website and Business/eCommerce plans. Each group, in its turn, includes more detailed plans, the cost of which starts at $13/mo.
Bluehost – Hosting and Website Builder for Sport Websites
Bluehost – is a powerful and trusted hosting provider, which can be a great choice for users looking for a reliable and functional platform to host a sports website. The service is officially recommended by the WordPress CMS as one of the top hosting companies in the world. The platform comes with a set of features and advanced tools, which provide secure and reliable hosting for any type of sports websites, irrespective of their complexity and range of features included. Here is the list of features that make Bluehost a worthy hosting solution:
- Instant WordPress Installation – The platform ensures one-click WordPress installation to lets users get the most out of the CMS performance. This is very convenient for everyone, who intends to use WordPress in conjunction with Bluehost to cut down the website development and hosting selection time to the minimum.
- High Uptime Rates and Fast Page Load Speed – If you have the intention to make your sports website functional and fast-loading, hosting it with Bluehost is a great idea. Regardless of the traffic amount your project has, the platform will ensure its worthy performance.
- Safety and Flexibility – Bluehost features advanced flexibility due to its potential integration with multiple external services, apps and add-ons. Additionally, the system ensures the utmost website safety guaranteed by the accessibility of integrated security tools, including Spam Expert, Spam Hammer etc. There is also the hotlink protection feature here that contributes to website security.
- Integrated Marketplace – The platform allows choosing from multiple integrated add-ons, widgets, extensions, apps and scripts that can be effectively used for website customization. There is an opportunity to choose from multiple WordPress sports templates, image galleries, ecommerce and marketing tools etc.
Bluehost is an affordable web hosting that comes with multiple features and tools included into its plans. The cheapest plan the platform offers costs $2.95/mo, which is more than a worthy investment for everyone looking for cheap yet reliable hosting.
SportsPlus – Sports Management Platform for Tournaments
SportsPlus – is a sports management platform for tournaments, sports clubs, teams, leagues, coaches, athletes and all other users, who are interested in creating sports projects. The platform is run and supported by Thapos. It allows launching and managing all kinds of sports events, providing registration, payment processing, scheduling options as well as a wide array of communication management tools. It is also possible to create and manage athlete profiles, events and sports performances from the same place. Here is a brief overview of the major feature set of the platform:
- Website Builder – The platform comes with the integrated website builder that allows starting, managing and updating visually-impressive, functional and mobile-friendly sports websites without any coding or web design experience required. The system allows for extensive integration of third-party extensions and apps, including Eventbrite, Survey Monkey, Facebook, WePay, Authorize.Net, Braintree, WeatherForYou, Twitter, YouTube and many more.
- Registration and Team Management Tools – The platform grants access to the broad range of registration management tools, which make it possible for players and other users to sign up and look for their favorite programs and tournaments. It’s possible to add the required custom fields to the registration forms here, introduce multiple sports programs, manage discounts, create advanced sports reports. Users can also collect secure payments, track their financial expenditures, manage sports schedules (including matches, teams, events and more).
- Multiple User Engagement Features and Tools – With SportsPlus, users can access and manage team data from anywhere and anytime, manage team schedules and events, check player availability, manage volunteers, view live game scores, share related resources, post announcements, manage team shops, send messages and notifications to other members etc.
SportsPlus offers three paid plans to choose from, including Bronze, Silver and Gold. The cost of the cheapest subscription constitutes $49/mo and it keeps growing with regard to the plan selected. Each of the plans comes with the 14-day trial that can be activated without any credit card or personal data.
Playpass – Sports Website Builder for Leagues & Clubs
Playpass – is a sports website builder for creating free projects for leagues and clubs. Websites created with the system are mobile-friendly and customizable. They look great on all mobile and desktop devices, letting you create custom web pages, showcase sports events and schedules, upload media files, register new activities etc. The list of Playpass features currently includes:
- Online Scheduler – The platform allows creating online sports schedules in a quick and hassle-free way. What you should do to get started here is to pick the number of teams and the type of schedule you intend to create and then customize it by filling out the required parameters and details. The feature allows creating the unlimited number of sports schedules, setting times, dates and duration of games, adding and removing games, sharing the required schedules with the target audience, tracking scores, adding staff members, uploading documents and files etc.
- Online Sports Registration Software – Playpass grants access to the sports registration software, which works great for mobile and desktop devices. This facilitates the process of online registration for each and every user. Additionally, the platform allows using Stripe for secure and reliable online payments.
- Sports Waiver Solution – Playpass makes it possible to create and store sports waiver templates to further customize and manage them with regard to your business needs. The feature lets you create the unlimited number of waivers, add waiver signatures and storage options, allow users to download and save your waivers/upload signed forms, attach waivers to to online registration for further payment etc.
Playpass has a free Personal Plan you can use for as long as you need to test the entire feature set of the platform and a paid Business subscription, the cost of which starts at$9/mo. There is a free 7-day trial that does not require any credit card data and lets users cancel the selected paid plans anytime.
LeagueLineup – FREE Sports Team and League Management
LeagueLineup – is one of the leaders of the sports website development niche that allows launching free team and league websites. The platform grants access to multiple online league management tools, making it possible to start a feature-laden project to come up to various sports web development needs. The list of features the platform offers is as follows:
- Ultimate Website Customization – Whatever type of sports website you intend to launch, the system allows customizing it as you wish. It’s up to you to change website colours, backgrounds, edit fonts, menu options and other website parameters. Users get 24/7 access to their projects, which allows maintaining and updating them on time.
- Integrated Fan Shop – Each website created with LeagueLineup comes with integrated custom Fan Shop, which features more than 500 fully customizable products. They guarantee 5% reward for each sale made with the system.
- Free Online Registration – Each LeagueLineup website offers free online forms that let you accept team and player registrations within the shortest time possible.
- Schedules & Calendars – The website builder makes it possible to post game schedules, special events, meetings and other planned sports activities. This is a handy feature for all sports website owners.
- Automated Standings – With LeagueLineup, you can post the results of sports games to make them automatically display on the website, when required.
- Player & Team Statistics – The platform allows posting detailed statistics for teams and players for Basketball, Baseball, Football, Lacrosse, Hockey, Soccer and Volleyball.
- Versatility of Sports-Related Features – Along with the features listed above, the platform grants access to the following features: photo albums, message board and guestbook, online polls, Google Maps integration, secure contact forms, sports training videos etc.
LeagueLineup has a completely free plan that is mainly used to test the major functionality of the platform. There are also two paid plans – Pro and Elite. Their annual pricing is based on the number of participants your sports organization supports. The average cost starts at $39.95/year.
uCoz – FREE Sport Community Website Builder
uCoz – is a free sport community website builder, which is used by newbies and web design pros to launch and manage different types of sports projects from scratch. The system grants access to multiple modules, intuitive DIY website editor, integrated eCommerce and blogging engines etc. Here is the list of uCoz sports-related features:
- Forum Module – The website builder makes it possible to use its Forum module to set up a full-feature forum for your sports project. This is the top destination for all website members, who wish to share their ideas and emotions with co-thinkers, browse multiple branches and topics that tackle the sports niche etc.
- Blogging – With uCos, you can set up and connect a feature-laden blog to your sports website. This is the place, where you can post/update niche-related articles, enable user comments, start discussions with your website visitors etc.
- eCommerce – The website builder also boasts a powerful eCommerce engine, which grants an opportunity to set up and manage a web store. This is where you can offer for sale various sports-related accessories, souvenirs and other related products.
- Membership – If you plan to update/manage your sports website with other members, this feature will certainly be of great help. You can assign membership rights to those users you plan to share project management rights with.
uCoz is a free website builder, which lets you test its functionality at no cost at all for as long as you need. At the same time, the platform offers an opportunity to upgrade to one of its paid subscriptions. Their cost starts with $3/mo and grows up to $8/mo.
Jersey Watch – Website Builder for Baseball Clubs
Jersey Watch – is a website builder for baseball clubs, which allows starting and running feature-rich sports projects. The system can also be used to launch websites for other sports types, including football, basketball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, softball, wrestling and more. Whatever website type you need, the platform ensures easy management and customization of your project. Have a look at its major made-for-sports features now:
- Advanced Management Tools – The platform grants access to high end management tools, which simplify the process of team/player organization, user communication, event scheduling process etc.
- Sports-Related Options – The website builder allows for easy and convenient launch of your sports website, offering a set of niche-related features. These include built-in registration forms, payment collection tools, email/text messaging, creation of team schedules, launch of background checks for coaches and volunteers etc.
- Design Customization Tools – It’s up to you to create your own website design, using a set of integrated tools. You can customize color schemes, design and add your logo, add website header/headline, connect custom domain name etc.
- Quality Organization Promotion – Having launched your organization, you can easily promote it with the system by posting and sending announcements, dealing with sponsors, listing board member info and other related details.
- Scheduling Parameters – With Jersey Watch, you can easily schedule your organization events, coach and board meetings, player registration dates, add schedules for team and individual players, post events with start/end time specification, upload game results and other useful info.
Jersey Watch doesn’t have a free plan. Instead, it has three premium subscriptions, each of which comes with a free trial version. Paid plans include Starter, Plus and Pro. Their cost starts at $29/mo. All the plans include website creation feature with custom design, opportunity to register players and collect payments online as well as free domain connection. The difference between the plans is about the number of text messages and emails per month.
TeamSnap – Youth Sports Website Builder
TeamSnap – is a youth sports website builder, which is built for coaches, players, sports club administrators and parents. The platform comes with a set of built-in and easy-to-use solutions for effective communication, payment collection, scheduling, registration and real-time game sharing. The software helps save users; time and effort, ensuring professional management of your sports organization. The list of its highlights is as follows:
- Hassle-Free Online Registration – The system lets you automate the collection of user payments and contact info, making the registration procedure easy and quick for everyone. Using a self-service form builder, subscribers will save time eliminating the need of manual sign up. Additionally, the system offers account credits to newly-subscribed members.
- Communication Tools – The system lets you communicate with individual users, teams and groups of people (fans, volunteerism, coaches, managers etc.), using a set of built-in groups.
- Invoicing – With TeamSnap, you can easily manage and complete all payments in one place without any time loss. All the payments are safe and transparent here, which means that you can check their status when required. You can use the invoicing feature for all the transactions the system implies, including tournament fees, monthly payments, facility expenses and more.
- Automated Scheduler – You can save time and effort with the automated league and club scheduler. It lets you create schedules for any game and sports event you organize.
- Sports Store – TeamSnap makes it possible to create and customize your own sports store, choosing your brand logo, color scheme, special parameters and other related aspects.
TeamSnap offers a range of pricing options based on user requirements and budget. New subscribers get a free trial that lets them test drive all the options the platform includes. As soon as you are ready to build a sports project and go live with it, you will have an opportunity to choose from two pricing offers.
The first one targets clubs and leagues, providing three types of plans, namely Basic, Premium and Ultra. To find out their cost, you will have to contact the manager and discuss your project independently. The second group of plans targets teams and includes a free plan and three subscription types – Basic, Premium and Ultra. Their cost starts at $5.84/mo.
LeagueApps – Sports Team Website Builder
LeagueApps – is a full-featured sports team website builder and a professional operating system for sports organizations. It provides a set of tools required to start, manage, promote and grow a project. The software is customer-focused, being created for sports organizers and managers, working on the development of large sports clubs/organizations. Let’s review the main features of the platform now:
- Registration Optimization – The software lets you optimize your registration flow, offering a set of registration forms, league scheduling and team communications tools as well as program management features in one place.
- Brand Promotion Tools – The platform offers effective brand promotion features that help make your business popular with the target audience.
- Design Shop – The system allows showcasing your sports organization, hiring one of its developers to create a unique digital project for your facility, club, tournament, league etc.
- Sports Website Management Features – LeagueApps lets you use a set of website management features for effective project management. These include attendance tracking tools, billing and invoicing parameters, event management features, marketing automation settings as well as online booking and scheduling tools to mention a few.
- Member Portal – All user information is available in a member portal along with a set of membership and registration management tools, website settings and other related info.
LeagueApps offers quite a unique pricing approach, providing transparent solutions to fit diverse user requirements and budget preferences. The cost of your project is discussed independently based on your individual needs. To apply for a demo version of a program and to get the estimation of your website, you should fill out the form available online.
LeagueRepublic – Website Builder for Sports Teams
LeagueRepublic – is a website builder for sports teams and a high end sports league management software, which works best for leagues that have team/player formats. The platform grants convenient scheduling solutions for different divisions with venue sharing issues. The system can also be used for starting websites of leagues with complex stats requirements. Whether you need a soccer, darts, gaming, snooker, pool, basketball or any other sports project, LeagueRepublic will come with the best solution ever. Check out its major advantages now:
- League Schedule Generator – The system has its own schedule maker that can generate detailed schedules for simple and complicated events. The option is available for free.
- Team/Player Registration Management – With LeagueRepublic, you can easily manage your team/player – related issues. There is also an opportunity to work with versatile online payment options to get maximum exposure.
- Stats Tracking – The platform delivers a flexible stats tracking and scoring system, which allows deciding on users, who will enter the corresponding data in the required format.
- Professional League Website Design – The website builder grants access to multiple tools and features that let you run a professional league website. These include online scheduling tools, results and stats tracking settings, extensive member management options etc.
LeagueRepublic offers versatile options in terms of pricing, which are based on the number of teams you plan to manage. There are 4 groups of plans here that are meant for 25 teams, 100 teams, 300 teams and more. Each group includes a free subscription, which offers everything you need to run a basic league. The cost of premium subscriptions starts at $7/mo.
What Do You Need to Start Building a Website for a Sports Club?
When it comes to starting a website for a sports club, you may encounter two basic web design options to use. You can either hire a web studio to start a project for you or create it independently using website builders.
The first option seems simpler at first sight as you don’t have to bother about the details of your project and design-related nuances. It is a web developer, who will do all the work for you, offering a ready-made project as a result. When you dive deep into the details, however, you will realize that hiring a web designer will hardly work well for you for several reasons.
Firstly, you won’t be aware of all the project parameters and, thus, you won’t be able to manage a website on your own. This, however, is crucial when it comes to sports websites. Secondly, hiring a web studio is quite expensive, especially considering the niche specialization of your website. In this respect, it is much more convenient and easy to launch a project with a website builder on your own.
The global web brings plenty of website builders for different purposes. Choosing the right one may look challenging. For this reason, you need to define the core features and functionality of your future web resource. Then it will be easier to choose a matching platform that has tools you need.
What features should a Sports Website Have?
The list of features will depend on the type of website you need. Whether you are planning to build a football league portal, website with the latest news and stats or a web page representing a single team or athlete, consider the following fundamental points:
- Keep the Visitors Aware – the sports world is updating all the time. So is your content. You are supposed to deliver latest events and highlights. This is where a blog or “news” section will come in handy. Website templates are designed with the already built-in blog section. Simply post the content you need;
- Catchy Images and Videos – media content speaks the volume. Luckily, website builders have a solid multimedia section. You can easily add new photos and videos as well as replace the old ones. Make sure you choose an appropriate plan featuring enough storage;
- Team Roster – if you build a website for a sports team, make sure you have actual team data. The starting lineup can change from time to time, while the team may purchase new players. Let your readers keep in touch with the latest updates;
- Schedules and Events – the event calendar is a vital feature for sports fans. Make sure your website provides actual dates and upcoming events. Website builders contain necessary widgets that are free. Simply add them you a web page;
- Athletes’ Profiles – your readers might be interested in players’ stats and personal data. Your website should contain athletes’ profiles highlighting all necessary data. The section may be linked to leaderboard, standings and top scorer stats;
- Contacts – once you gain recognition and solid web representation, most of your visitors would probably try to keep in touch with you. Make sure you provide actual contact information in an already built-in contact section of your template.
More Features to Enable Sports Website Growth
Apart from core functions, you need to ensure your website growth on the web. Luckily, website builders offer simple SEO and other tools to increase your site search engine ranking.
- SEO Tools – web building platforms come up with simple SEO tools. You can focus on a necessary keyword as well as edit title and description to make each page more SEO-friendly;
- Blogging – the more content you publish, the better. Sports is a changing world where readers seek for actual information. Make guest-posts, add articles with catchy images and media files, create engaging content;
- Social Sharing – social networks are the good source of extra traffic. Website builders offer social sharing buttons and widgets to let your visitors easily share the content via most popular social platforms.
After you define the core features of your future website, you will easily pick the right website builder to handle any of the above-mentioned issues. Or you can keep on reading and choose from the reviewed platforms.
With so many web building platforms available today, Wix proves to be the undeniable leader of the sports web design niche. The website builder comes with an impressive set of industry-related features, design customization tools and pricing options that make it possible to build and effectively manage a sports team or league website.
While Wix comes as a multi-purpose platform with advanced SEO and e-commerce tools, to build any sports website from club page to fan shop, Bluehost has revealed itself as the best hosting solution, which especially works great for websites created with WordPress. However, the platform initially implies coding awareness and specific web design background to start projects with it.
When it comes to comparing SportsPlus, Playpass, LeagueLineup, uCoz, Jersey Watch, TeamSnap, Leagueapps and LeagueRepublic, these are specialized platforms, which also require industry-specific skills and knowledge to launch sports websites with them. It doesn’t make sense to try using them as it’s better to give preference to more full-featured all-in-one platforms that can ensure worthy result you count on. Anyway, make sure you stress the core goals and features of your future sports website to select the right-matching platform.