In the mid-90s the desktop publishing revolution began with the introduction of GeoCities, Homestead and Moonfruit. It took quite a few years for these web services to make an impact on the design and publishing industry, but once they did, there was no looking back.
Code-free website builders, like Wix, Weebly and Squarespace, have captured a lot of attention. But in the past few years there’s been an explosion of new services. Today, we take a closer look at one of them – SpaceCraft website builder.
SpaceCraft is a relative newcomer to the scene. It is positioned as a code-free website builder for creating business websites, portfolios and blogs.
#1 Ease of Use
If years of reviewing website builders have taught me anything, it’s that watching their introductory videos – before trying to build a site – is a brilliant idea. So I watched SpaceCraft’s short video highlighting some of the system’s key features before making any changes to the chosen template, to save my time and effort.
SpaceCraft’s interface is surprisingly simple and well-organized. Balancing simplicity and functionality is always a tough task, yet the guys behind the platform did a great job of keeping their complex software as intuitive as possible.
Note that SpaceCraft doesn’t offer a total drag-and-drop editing experience. It has a visual editor, but you can’t customize your site directly through frontend, using inline editing.
The builder has two working modes: Design and Content, while most site builders have these modes merged into one interface. Here at SWB we think that offering separate design and content areas is a smart decision.
#2 Feature Set and Flexibility
After spending a few days with SpaceCraft, I can tell you it has a great potential as a code-free website builder. It has a solid structure and makes an impression of a meticulously designed software. Here are some of its key features:
- Design and Content modes. By offering different editing areas, SpaceCraft makes it easy to update your website without messing up the design. This feature comes in especially handy if you have multiple collaborators or build a website for someone else.
- Multiple authors. You can control who has access to the control panel by adding users. SpaceCraft offers a variety of roles with different permission levels: admins, content and design contributors, content only contributors, and design only contributors.
- Blogging system. SpaceCraft offers a clutter-free blogging tool that lets you add uniformly formatted, media-rich blog posts (see screenshot).
- Powerful design tools. The Design mode comes equipped with lots of customization options, including: full access to the Typekit library; complete line, character and word spacing controls etc.
- Mobile optimization. SpaceCraft uses templates that automagically reformat your site for viewing on mobile devices. Further, you can manage your site from any devices, be it a desktop, smartphone or tablet.
- eCommerce. While SpaceCraft doesn’t have a native eCommerce system, they do allow integrations with several prominent ecommerce providers. These include Shopify, Bigcommerce, Volusion, Vendevor, and Ecwid.
In general, SpaceCraft is a well-thought-out website builder with all the tools you need to build and manage a functional website.
You can start with a ready template or from scratch, from a blank screen basically. Whether you start from scratch or using a theme, the tools are the same. In Design mode, you can change your site’s layout, fonts, background, header, footer and also back up your design. You can switch between Sitewide and Page editing modes.
#4 Customer Support
SpaceCraft offers a help center containing helpful tutorials including video walkthroughs, as well as email and phone support. You can also contact one of the experts directly through the control panel – there’s a livechat window on each page.
#5 Pricing Policy
You can sign up online for a 14-day free trial without entering your credit card information. If you decide that SpaceCraft is the right partner for you, you can choose between three monthly or yearly subscription plans: Basic ($8-$10/mo), Unlimited ($16-20/mo) and Concierge ($49/mo). All SpaceCraft plans include cloud-based hosting.
SpaceCraft also offers custom design, SEO and SEM services. Custom designed sites start at $600, search optimization – at $299, and SEM – at $500.
If you expect a total WYSIWYG editing experience, SpaceCraft isn’t for you. Its Basic plan is more expensive compared to the competition.
SpaceCraft Review: Conclusion
If you’re in the market for a reliable website builder, SpaceCraft is definitely worth a look. It’s a modern, easy-to-use website builder with beautifully crafted responsive themes that will help you get your business online within minutes.
Just like any other site builder, SpaceCraft does have its downsides, but its advantages surely outnumber the flaws. See SpaceCraft for yourself: