When it comes to building websites, Wix doesn’t seem to have any competitors at all. The service boasts worldwide popularity and there is hardly a web designer (even a newbie), who hasn’t heard about the platform or used it to launch quality, professional and functional websites. Wix can cope with almost any web building task you have. Then what’s the sense to compare it with a simpler web building solution like Sitebuilder.com?
Actually, each product has its audience and so does Sitebuilder.com. The system allows building different types of websites and it also offers a rich feature set users may be interested in. However, the range of these features may somewhat differ from that offered by Wix and this is exactly what most web designers wish to find out when choosing between these two platforms.
What are the functions of both website builders? What purposes do they work best for? What are the features that differ them from each other? Read on the comparison to find out the answers to these and other questions you might have.
1. Ease of Use
- Sitebuilder is a drag-and-drop website builder, which ensures quick, easy and effective web building experience to launch different types of websites. You don’t have to be a web design specialist to explore and master the system – so intuitive, simple and user-friendly it is. The platform comes with a simple interface, due to which it doesn’t take much time to find and add the required elements to the page.
Whether you plan to add or manage website elements, pages or sections, customize website design, add a blog or an online store, you can easily do that in the admin panel, which is logically-structured and subdivided into four basic categories, namely Elements, Pages, Sections and Design. Each category offers a number of settings, which allow customizing the design in a quick and easy way.
There is also a “Preview” mode that makes it possible to see the changes you’ve made at the website and the way it generally looks. If there is something you need to edit, you can get back to the editor and make the required changes there prior to publishing the ready made variant.
- Wix is a decent choice for those, who plan to build quality websites at affordable cost. The website builder comes with a visual editor, where all the changes made at the website are reflected in the real-time mode. The dashboard of the system is intuitive and understandable. It is easy to get used to it, even if you are a newbie and this is your first web design experience.
The system offers a variety of widgets and apps to make up the structure of your website. All the elements you will add are customizable, while the list of options the service offers is also impressive. All in all, it will take around 3-5 days to memorize all the elements and options available in the system and get the most out of your web building experience.
Sitebuilder vs Wix. When it comes to the ease of use, both systems can be explored and mastered in a couple of days. There is no need to use coding skills to build a website with any of them – just follow the steps the services offer and watch the result. It’s difficult to point out the leader in this comparison part.
Sitebuilder as well as Wix can be a good choice for all categories of users, irrespective of their experience. Both systems require some effort to be mastered well, but this is just a matter of time. The only thing that can give privilege to Wix is its user-friendly interface that comes with handy tips and a powerful video tutorial that is an extra bonus for a website builder.
2. Feature Set and Flexibility
- Sitebuilder is a nice choice to create any website types, ranging from simple one-page websites and up to online stores. It’s easy to develop the layout and structure of a website as it is comprised of several sections, each of which can be edited and customized with regard to your needs. You can choose and add any number of elements, pages and sections to give your website excellent performance and nice visual appeal.
One of the highlights of the system is its powerful blogging functionality. If you need to connect a blog to your ready made website, Sitebuilder allows doing that with ease. Just give a title to your blog, choose the template and manage the settings. That’s it – your blog is ready to be published. The feature is absolutely free. The same cannot be said about adding a web store to your website here. The system has eCommerce functionality, which, however, is available at extra cost.
The website builder comes with social media integration features, a collection of HD stock photos and image gallery. There is no multilingual support option here, which is one of the downsides of the system. However, the service allows building websites, which are mobile-ready right from the start, due to which they can be viewed on any mobile devices.
- Wix is a universal website builder, which allows launching almost any website types you need, including forums, business websites, portfolios, landing pages, blogs and even online stores. The amazing versatility of features and tools makes the system one of the best solutions for newbies and experienced web designers.
The platform abounds in widgets, applications available in the Wix app store and elements that can be arranged in any order you need to give your website maximum performance and attractive presentation. Wix websites are comprised of the blocks of elements and each block comes with flexible settings.
Experienced web designers will also be impressed by a variety of design options the system offers as it allows for code integration that can make your website stand out from the crowd. It’s possible to synchronize your Wix website with a number of popular services to give it extra performance. What’s more, the website builder comes with powerful blogging and eCommerce functionality. If needed, you can set up SEO parameters for your website, favicon, web page redirects and website boundaries directly in the system.
Separate attention should be given to the advanced Wix ADI feature, which allows creating websites in the automatic mode by using the information submitted by a user. Even if you are not a web design expert, artificial design intelligence will help you create a full-featured website from scratch. There is no other website builder that can boast the same tool.
Sitebuilder vs Wix. When it comes to the feature set, Wix doesn’t have any rivals – so extensive, versatile and powerful Wix functionality is. You can solve almost any web building task with the system, launching different types of websites that feature excellent performance and have great visual appeal.
As opposed to Wix, Sitebuilder cannot boast such a variety of features. Yes, you can design nice websites here, but there is still too much missing options here like integration of external services, eCommerce functionality, multi language support etc. The leader is obvious and this is Wix.
- Sitebuilder offers a pretty nice collection of templates. They are grouped into categories based on the industry aspect (Business, Blog, Music, Restaurant, Wedding, Beauty and Fashion, Lifestyle, Professional Services, Portfolio etc.) and are mobile-optimized right from the start. Whatever theme you will eventually select, it will have modern and stylish look.
The range of customization tools you can use to give your template impressive look is also versatile. Finally, you can use HTML coding skills (if any) to edit your header and footer design. This will also be a bonus for your website.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to change the template in the process of website development without losing the submitted content. Fortunately, there is a Preview option, which allows exploring the design details of the template you are interested in prior to making the final choice. This reduces the amount of mistakes a user can make when selecting the themes.
- Wix templates are stunning and they always stand out from the crowd due to their quality, professional look and adherence to high industry standards. As of today, there are more than 10 themes here, each of which has dozens of variations.
All Wix templates are also subdivided into niche categories to simplify users’ search. Whatever template you will go for, you will be able to customize its design by adding and managing the blocks, widgets, effects, apps, backgrounds, fonts etc.
The mobile version of your theme can even be customized manually to provide quality look and perfect adjustment of your website to different mobile screens. The only disadvantage is that you can’t change the template on the go. So, be careful when making the choice.
Sitebuilder vs Wix. When it comes to the design comparison, we have a distinct leader – Wix. The quality and professional look of the themes the system offers will certainly impress everyone, who gets access to them. The platform offers a wide assortment of templates as well as advanced design customization tools.
Sitebuilder certainly lays behind Wix in terms of design. Even though, it offers a pretty nice choice of templates and niche categories, their quality is far from that featured by Wix themes. At the same time, there is one feature common for both platforms: they don’t allow changing the templates in the process of website development. This is a serious drawback that requires consideration and improvement.
4. Customer Support
- Sitebuilder can boast decent customer support. Their knowledge base includes the general help tech support page, how-to guides, the top FAQ section, the Getting Started page unveiling the basics of using the system and the Contact Us section. The latter provides an ability to get in touch with the customer support team via email, telephone or live chat, which is available 24/7.
Finally, there is an opportunity to type a question directly at the website and wait for an answer. Such versatility of options allows solving the problems in less than no time.
- Wix customer support center is also powerful and includes various options. Apart from the standard user help options like FAQs, for example, it has the YouTube channel and a forum, which contributes to the communication between users and system developers.
The platform also has a smart search option, which makes it possible to find answers to a variety of questions users may have. If you have not managed to solve your problem for some reason, Wix offers its ticket system, allowing to alleviate your concerns.
Sitebuilder vs Wix. Both website builders offer reliable customer support services, which make it possible to solve almost any problems users have. They provide enough information about the way the services should be used to get the most out of their performance.
However, Wix somewhat excels Sitebuilder, offering video tutorials and a community forum. This helps solve the problems right from the start without looking for the answers for a long time and distracting from your web design process.
5. Pricing Policy
Sitebuilder is basically free right from the start. This allows testing the system functionality for as long as you need, building the unlimited number of websites on the subdomain. If you intend to establish reliable web presence, though, you’ll have to upgrade to one of the paid plans the system offers, namely:
- Pro ($ 7.68/mo) – provides free hosting, domain name, no website ads, web statistics, ad credits.
- Premium ($ 11.98/mo) – includes the above mentioned features plus priority support.
- eCommerce ( $ 18.45/mo) – implies the services mentioned in the previous two plans and eCommerce functionality.
What you should know is that paid plans offer free domain registration for one year. If you decide to cancel the subscription for some reason during this time, the system will still require a non-refundable $16 domain fee.
Wix pricing policy differs from that offered by Sitebuilder. The system also provides a never-expiring free plan, which allows testing its features and practicing your skills for as long as you need.
Those users, who plan to launch full-featured websites, may upgrade to one of the paid plans the service offers depending upon their needs. These are:
Sitebuilder vs Wix. Having compared the paid plans the systems offer, we may conclude that Wix has a more moderate pricing policy, offering more advanced functionality at this cost. This is definitely a worthy investment into quality, safety and reliability. Both systems have free neverending plans, which allow testing their features and practicing your skills for the unlimited period of time.
6. Advantages and Disadvantages
Sitebuilder offers a variety of tools needed to create a decent website. Just like any other system, it has its pros and cons you need to know prior to making your choice. Let’s start with the advantages first:
- Ease of use and convenience;
- Variety of free mobile-optimized templates and customization tools;
- Reliable customer support;
- Blogging functionality;
- Social media integration feature.
As to the disadvantages, they are as follows:
- No multilingual support;
- A bit overwhelmed interface;
- Absence of free eCommerce functionality;
- Inability to change a template on the go.
Wix also has its downsides and merits users should be aware of, when comparing the system with its niche competitors. Some of the most distinctive advantages include:
- Impressive app store;
- Rich feature set;
- Advanced Wix ADI tool;
- Stunning responsive templates and powerful design customization tools;
- Convenient visual editor;
- Ease of use;
- SEO wizard;
- Powerful custom support center;
- Frequent discounts and promo campaigns;
- Affordable cost and variety of pricing plans.
Speaking about disadvantages, there are no many of them, but they still exist:
- A bit difficult interface for inexperienced users, which requires exploration;
- Channel bandwidth limitations;
- Inability to change a website theme during the web design process;
- Inability to import products from CSV and XML files.
Sitebuilder vs Wix. Both Sitebuilder and Wix have their advantages and disadvantages. You just need to take a look at them and decide, what features are a priority to you. Wix obviously has more advantages and less drawbacks than Sitebuilder.
This makes it stand out from the crowd. What’s more, Wix merits and the opportunities they reveal matter most than the demerits. This is a priority to many users, who choose the system as a major web building tool.
The comparison of these website builders makes it possible to understand, who is the winner in this review – this is Wix. The system encompasses the most essential features needed to build quality and stylish websites with excellent performance. These are rich feature set, advanced web design tools, rich choice of templates, affordable cost, multi language support, flexible SEO settings and many more.
As of today, Sitebuilder cannot boast the same characteristics, even though, its features and tools are enough to design a decent website that will help you solve standard tasks. Our recommendation is to test both services and decide, which of them comes up to your current web design needs most of all.