The face of education is changing, with Internet being right at the core of this change, and teachers and students have a lot to benefit from this fact. There are so many ways to use the web for education, and one of these is creating a school website.
A school website is not a whim or a tribute to fashion nowadays. A school is a kind of an ecosystem with lots of constituents. Information published at the website is an effective tool for the organization of the working process of any educational establishment. It is oriented towards the vast audience, which includes teachers, pupils, parents and school administration. A website can effectively contribute to the fruitful cooperation between these groups of people.
What is the purpose of creation of a teacher website? The image and activity of a contemporary teacher have changed a lot lately. In the XXI century, competition is not limited to trading only. Apart from the products and services that require active promotion, a teacher’s image and skills also prove to be an indispensible part of the contemporary process of education. A teacher, who has a personal website, has more chances to expand the field of activity, grow the reputation and recognition among the pupils, their parents and the colleagues.
How is it possible to create a school or a teacher website? What features should a website builder have to ideally cope with the task?
Best School and Teacher Website Builders – Overview Chart:
|Website Builder||Wix (review)||Weebly (review)||uKit (review)|
|Best for:||School website, teacher’s website||Teacher’s website and a blog||Prvate school website, private teacher’s website|
|Easy-to-Use||5-6 hours to learn||3-4 hours to practice||2-3 hours to cope with|
|Templates for a school or a teacher website:||On Board||Responsive themes for teacher’s blog||Responsive educational templates|
|Website Support:||24/7 email support, community forum||Forum support, knowledge base||Online Skype and LiveChat support|
|Additional Options for a School or a Teacher Website:||Website forum, membership||Educational platform, student accounts||Timeline widget|
|SEO Options:||SEO Wizard||Common SEO settings||Promotion widget|
|Pricing Options:||Free to $24.50/mo||Free to $38/mo||$4 to $12/mo|
Criteria on Choosing the Service to Create a School Website
Not all the web building platforms are suitable to cope with the task. Some of them are too expensive, others don’t possess the required functionality and there are also those that are not convenient to use. Listed below are some of the requirements applicable to the suitable website builder you should give preference to when making your choice:
- A system should offer a free full-scaled plan.
- It should have vast functionality. Websites of different institutions generally have a complex structure and use a specific set of modules (polls, forums, materials with extra fields, charts etc.). Not all the website builders can be used to create such sites.
- A system should be easy to use. It goes without saying that teachers are educated people, but it’s doubtful that many of them are knowledgeable in the web development niche.
It’s crucial to choose a convenient website builder to create a school or a teacher website. With its help, it is possible to cope with the technical aspects of the process. How can you achieve this goal? That’s easy, indeed! Website builders described below will help you gain the best result! They meet the requirements specified above, going far beyond the bounds.
Wix – The Best Website Builder for Teachers and Schools
Wix is well-known as a versatile website builder. It does offer a user-friendly interface and a library of templates tailored for teachers, schools, blogs, portfolios, business sites and so on. When it comes to building websites for teachers, the system does not seem to have any competitors at all – so convenient, simple and affordable it is. Over 100 millions of users have chosen the service for their web building needs, which is another proof of its credibility.
Wix Features for a School Website
- Impressive Designs. Wix has an amazing collection of templates to meet any topic and web design preferences. If you are going to launch a website for a school or teacher, you don’t have to look any further as the service offers several template samples you can find in the “Education and Culture” Category. Some of them include themes for a private elementary school, fundraising foundation, community center, kindergarten, schools and classes, graduate parties, music schools, university landing pages, language schools and more.
All the themes are of high quality, which cannot but attracts the attention of users. They are mobile-optimized by default, so, you can be sure that your newly created website will be accessible on all mobile devices.
- Blogging. Adding a blog to a teacher’s website is a great idea and you can do that now by using Wix. The system allows creating a multifunctional blog or adding it to your website (if you have the one already) with a few clicks only. It’s possible to customize the blog design to give it unique look and encourage users to join the community. This feature will allow you to post and manage niche-related articles, staying in touch with the target audience.
- Forum. Just like it’s important to add a blog to your teacher’s website, it makes sense to connect a forum to it. This feature adds to your website reputation and grows the audience. A forum is the place, where you can communicate with visitors, share your opinion on a variety of topics, join the discussions and stay aware of the recent news. All of these goals can be achieved by connecting a forum from Wix to your website.
- Member Login Feature. If you wish to grow your website audience, then adding a Member Login Button will be a good idea as well. This is how you will enable users to join your website on their own to access members-only website pages. The button is added with a few clicks directly in the editor section of your website. This is quick, convenient and easy.
- Wix ADI. With Wix ADI, even a newbie will be able to create a teacher’s website in less than no time. This tool is of great help for teachers and students, who have nothing to do with website building at all, but still wish to create quality websites. Just provide your industry-specific information (that about your school or activity, for example) and the system will automatically build a website from scratch for you.
- App Market. Another feature Wix is proud of is its App Market, which offers a variety of applications to be easily integrated into your teacher’s website. This adds value to the resource and makes it more functional and visually appealing. Among the apps that might be a nice choice for a website of a school or teacher, it makes sense to mention Online Calendar, Wix Pro Gallery, Wix Events, Comments, Wix Video and what not.
• Connect Domain – $4.50/mo;
• Combo – $8.50/mo;
• Unlimited – $12.50/mo;
• Commerce – $16.50/mo;
• VIP – $24.50/mo.
Wix pricing policy is quite moderate and won’t hit ordinary users at their pockets. The system has a free unlimited plan, which allows testing its features for as long as you need to make sure you will cope with the web building process. However, if your seriously intend to create a decent website with superior functionality, then consider upgrading to one of the paid plans.
The prices are quite affordable even for teachers and students, while the functionality the system offers at this cost may notably exceed your expectations. As a result, you will avail a decent and reasonably-priced website.
Wix is a universal website builder, which is easy to use for everyone. The system is one of the simplest solutions to create websites for teachers and schools. With its clear interface, abundance of customizable niche templates, lots of features and a variety of tools it offers, even a newbie will be able to create a website from scratch without investing much effort and time. The website builder really deserves the attention of users, who intend to design quality and visually attractive websites with ease.
Weebly – THe Best Website Builder to Create a School Website
Though Weebly isn’t a school website builder, it’s a great option for anyone who wants to set up a classroom site. This platform not only lets teachers create school websites, but also allows students to create their own sites within the teacher’s account. This is a nice choice for this type of websites, which will provide you with a variety of niche-specific features.
Weebly Features For a School Website
- Weebly for Education. One of the most impressive Weebly features that makes it a perfect tool for designing websites for teachers and schools is Weebly for Education. This is a great tool that can be used to launch educative websites, student portfolios and project websites. By dragging and dropping the elements in the editor, you’ll be able to create your website from scratch with no serious investment of time and effort, irrespective of your age and web design experience.
Whether you are a student or a teacher, this tool will make it possible for you to reveal your creative abilities via the use of multimedia features. You’ll be in charge of the process, while all your data provided will remain secure and confidential.
- Easy-to-Use Website Editor. Weebly is a drag-and-drop website builder, which is very convenient and easy-to-use even for a newbie. It allows adding any elements to your website with a few clicks only, be it a video, a map, a text, a photo gallery and what not. No coding skills are needed to do that. The process is simple and intuitive – right what a non-tech savvy user needs!
- Student Accounts Safety. Weebly developers realize well, how important confidentiality for teachers, students and their parents is. The system allows setting passwords to all the student accounts and it’s up to a teacher to decide, what information will be presented to the public and what will remain confidential. Whatever the amount of student accounts you have, each of them will be safely protected from unauthorized access.
- Flexible Blogging Options. Weebly is rightfully considered one of the most suitable blogging systems. It lets you create a blog to your teacher’s website, where you’ll be able to publish your class news, info about the upcoming events, home assignments and other information meant for parents. What’s more, your students will also be able to express their opinions in different blog topics, share their ideas and get comments from other users. Weebly supports the unlimited number of blogs that can be connected to your website, making it possible to manage the comments and create open/close dialogues.
- Stunning Designs. It’s impossible to imagine a simpler design creation process of your website than that offered by Weebly. The template collection of the service includes dozens of stunning themes that can be customized with regard to your needs. If you wish to create your own design and possess the required set of coding skills, then you can launch a unique website here as well.
• Starter – $8/mo;
• Pro – $12/mo;
• Business – $25/mo;
• Performance – $38/mo.
For those users, who wish to explore all the features and options of Weebly website builder, the system offers a free unlimited version. This will be more than enough to learn all the pros and cons of the system and to test it, while creating your own websites. At the same time, the launch of a quality teacher’s website requires advanced features and tools, which are available in terms of the paid plans. Currently, there are four of them you can choose from.
What’s more, there’s a feature-rich Weebly Campus Edition that can be used to digitize the entire campus. The Campus Edition costs $499/year. It covers 20 teachers’ and 500 students’ profiles. You can add additional profiles to the base plan to meet your needs. All in all, Weebly pricing policy is quite affordable, even though, the cost of plans is a bit higher than that of Wix. At the same time, the range of features and tools Weebly offers in terms of its paid plans is definitely worth the money invested.
Weebly is a great website builder to launch websites for teachers and schools from scratch, even if you lack the required skills and experience. The system features drag-and-drop functionality and is very simple and easy-to-use. With a broad range of tools, functionality features, impressive customizable designs and competitive pricing policy, Weebly is definitely worth the attention.
uKit – The Easiest Website Builder for Teachers
uKit website builder allows building a modern teacher’s website. If you don’t need all the bells and whistles that specialized solutions like Weebly Campus Edition offer, then you can take advantage of this website builder. uKit lets you create a personalized teacher’s site in hours. It will work great for the websites of commercial educational institutions that require effective online promotion.
uKit Features For a Teacher’s Website
- Responsive Templates. uKit has a rich collection of quality templates, the number of which exceeds 350 themes and keeps growing steadily due to the effort of web developers. The templates are subdivided into over a dozen of thematic categories based on the topics and user specializations. Among such an impressive variety of templates, you can find an Education section with tutor’s, teacher’s, school’s or kindergarten’s website templates.
One of the key benefits of uKit is that all websites created with it are fully responsive. It means that your school website will be convenient to browse from any mobile device, either tablet or smartphone. Unlike lots of other website builders, uKit allows changing the template in the process of web creation. This is a useful and convenient feature for newbies and professional web designers working on the development of client projects.
- Widget Collection. If you have an intention to give diversity to your teacher’s website and encourage users to visit it over and over again, integrating several quality and functional widgets will be a nice solution. Fortunately, uKit has a rich selection of them and you can choose any elements to come up to your needs. Widget integration doesn’t take much effort and time and is done with a few clicks only. Some of the widgets you might be interested in are social network account buttons, callback forms, LiveChat, Video, SlideShare, News etc.
- User Interaction. Communication between teachers, students and parents is crucial, when it comes to creating a website for a teacher or school. With uKit, this interaction becomes simple and hassle-free. The system allows integrating some of the most popular tools and widgets that contribute to the result. These are LiveChat widget, Callback Forms and MailChimp to mention a few.
• Premium – $4.0/mo;
• Premium+ – $8.0/mo;
• eCommerce – $9.60/mo;
• Pro – $12/mo.
uKit has affordable tariffs and its pricing is relatively inexpensive. Everyone can afford using the website builder, even though, it does not have a free neverending plan like Wix or Weebly. Instead, the system offers four paid plans as well as an opportunity to test the chosen option for 14 days at no cost.
As you see, uKit prices are much cheaper as compared to those offered by Wix and Weebly. Whatever plan you will eventually go for, you won’t regret the result as you will be able to launch a decent and full-featured teacher’s website at reasonable cost.
uKit is a drag-and-drop website builder, which is considered one of the best systems to create websites for small and medium businesses. It will be of great help to you, if you have an intention to launch a website for a teacher, educational center, kids’ center or any other related commercial institution that requires appealing and professional online presentation. The system was created with the needs of newbies in mind and allows building decent websites in less than no time. It is also a niche solution for web design pros, aiming at quick and hassle-free development of client projects.
How to Create a School Website Using a Website Builder
That’s simple. To some extent, a school or a teacher website is a promo site, to which a forum may be attached in case of necessity. By the way, not all the platforms make it possible to realize the latter option. Regardless of their simplicity, forums are generally created on CMS. This is how the process of building a site looks in this case:
- Sign up for the system. Most services make it possible to sign up with your social network account or via the e-mail.
- Right after the sign up procedure, choose a template (give preference to mobile responsive templates).
- Now, proceed to creating a structure of your website. Add the required pages, upload content, change the template demo data with those of your own. Create the website menu points, attach static pages and dynamic sections (like a blog) to them. Change the website graphics (a header image, a background etc., if necessary).
- As soon as you are done with structuring your website and filling it with content, you have to publish it to make it available for the users.
- Finally, you will get a full-scaled school website absolutely for free.
What Content Should You Upload to Your School Website?
Let’s try to review the content suitable for a school website. The basics of the process and provided below:
- Information about a school and its contacts. Let’s face it – the choice of new schools is quite limited today. The prevailing amount of schools, however, have their history the target audience may be interested in. You can boast the achievements of your school, post old photos of a school, teachers and outstanding graduates. You should also provide the contact data of your school – its address, telephone numbers, Google Maps location etc. Information about the teaching staff will also be valuable. It involves the awards, education, career enhancement training and what not. This info will come in handy to those parents, who are right about to choose the best school for their kids. Anyway, competition between schools is still tough, isn’t it?
- News, including photo reports of the activities, articles, announcements etc.
- A section providing information about the classes. It should also involve the data about the class teachers, achievements and timetable.
- Personal pages of pupils. This is where they can display their achievements, skills and learn how to hold themselves out.
- Personal pages of teachers. This is a section of teachers’ achievements, where they can publish their projects, recommend different educative materials and give recommendations to the parents regarding the improvement of academic success of their children.
- A forum or a discussion board. You will surely need it. It’s possible that you won’t need it right from the start, but you will definitely need it later. Is there a better possibility for a vast audience to take part in group discussions? Your forum should contain a number of branches, such as topics, opinions, reviews, discussions and ratings.
The points mentioned above should be enough to launch a school website. If you have any tasks that are not included into the list provided above, you will still be able to cope with them. You can develop your website for as long as you need it. It will drive the visitors right after the publication. Everyone will be interested in what you are ready to offer. You just have to upload/upgrade information in the blocks to make the resource functional and useful for the visitors.
Conclusion and Recommendations
Creation of a school website implies the boost of its image in the eyes of pupils, parents and potential investors. We live in the advanced age and it’s inadmissible to lag behind the time. A teacher website can also help solve lots of tasks. It can notably contribute to the professional activity of a teacher, making it more productive, interesting and even profitable. It’s not a secret that competition among the teachers exists nowadays. The online promotion of a noble image of a teacher will do no harm.
You or your school will be able to attract the attention of the colleagues, pupils and their parents. This is not to mention the recognition of other educational establishments. A website of this type doesn’t need any extra promotion. As soon as the target audience gets to know about it, it will start visiting it on a regular basis. This ensures organic traffic and quick progress without any promotion at all.
Have you to create a school website? Share with us your experience!