If you have made up your mind to launch a retail website, then you won’t find a simpler option than using a website builder. These services are specially created with the needs of newbies in mind, but they are also in demand with proficient web developers, who focus on designing client websites.
Website builders have several notable advantages that make them stand out from the crowd, Here are the main reasons that make them the best solution for first-timers and web design experts:
- Quick Online Start – Opportunity to launch your online retail spot on the web in less than a day;
- Easy Web Store Management – There is no need to go out to control your store performance – just reach the dashboard to manage your project and control everything;
- Complete Set of eCommerce Management and Analytic Tools – A complete set of eCommerce management tools and instruments is always within reach in the dashboard of your website.
We Tested Out 10 Of The Best Retail Website Builders:
- Shopify – The Best Website Builder to Create a Retail Website
- Wix – Best Website Builder with Shopping Cart
- WooCommerce – Retail Website Development with WordPress
- SITE123 – 100% Free-to-Start Online Web Store Builder
- Squarespace – Online Retail Website Builder
- Weebly – Drag & Drop Store Builder
- Square Online – Online Retail Store Website Builder
- Sellfy – Cheap E-commerce Platform for Creators
- Quick eSelling – Web Commerce solution for Retailers
- uKit – Simple Website Builder for Retail Business
With so many quality website builders available out there, the choice of the best one may be a challenge. It’s not easy for inexperienced users to compare the features, characteristics and plans of website builders. We’ve compiled the comparison list of the most popular services. Have a look at it now.
Shopify – The Best Website Builder to Create a Retail Website
Shopify – is the world-popular specialized eCommerce software, which comes with a broad range of niche-specific features, tools and options needed to effectively start and manage professional web stores. The system lets you build all types of eCommerce websites (retail websites are not an exception), starting with small yet full-featured projects and up to hypermarkets with hundreds or even thousands of products offered for sale. The major features of the software are enlisted below:
- POS (Point-of-Sale) Software. The POS feature makes it possible to sell products and make deals both in offline and online modes, manage the required number of staff accounts, synchronize with the accounting software, share web store management rights, use internal and external card terminals etc. As a result, you can successfully run your retail website in the local storefront as well as online.
- eCommerce Templates. Software initially targets entrepreneurs willing to establish online presence for their retail businesses. Thus, it offers a long list of niche templates that are responsive and fully-customizable by default.
- Extensive Synchronization and Integration Options. The software allows synchronizing your account with well-known marketplaces (like Amazon) and integrating with third-party platforms or accounting software (like Quickbooks or Xero). This helps effectively boost your retail website performance, generate more traffic, build customer base and boost sales volume.
- Appealing Product Presentation. Shopify offers numerous tools and features to entice customer attention by displaying products to the advantage. With Shopify, you can create and manage visually-attractive show windows, add the unlimited lists of products, customer testimonials, quality images and product reviews. The Augmented Reality tool makes it possible to create the detailed product visualization, letting customers explore it in details from different sides prior to starting the shopping process.
- Marketing Options. Shopify grants access to numerous analytic and statistics tracking tools. Its advanced Live View feature lets you control the performance of your retail website in the real-time mode, thus providing you with detailed info on the traffic changes, number of visitors, percentage of abandoned purchases, conversion rates, locations users come from and other crucial parameters that have serious impact upon overall website performance.
- Enhanced Security Measures. With Shopify, you can be 100% sure about your website safety. The software offers a set of tools that help prevent scammer attacks and protect the safety of each deal closed. Among the features you can make use of, it makes sense to mention SSL Certification, Fraud Protection tool, Tag and Chip Reader you can synchronize with Shopify POS and other effective security measures.
Cost: Shopify doesn’t have a completely free plan yet there is a free trial that lets you test the entire feature set of the service for free during 14 days. To start managing your retail website, you’ll further have to upgrade to one of four paid plans. Their cost starts from $9/mo and ranges up to $299/mo. Mind that Shopify is transaction fee-free, but it additionally charges certain percentage fees for each successfully-completed credit card transaction.
Wix – Best Website Builder with Shopping Cart
Wix – is a world-known all-in-one website builder, which encompasses multiple tools and services needed to launch and manage full-featured retail websites. The system stands out from the crowd due to its intuitive nature, exceptional convenience and ease-of-use, rich niche-specific feature set and abundance of eCommerce tools. The most important of them are as follows:
- eCommerce Engine. The website builder comes with a powerful integrated eCommerce engine that grants access to multiple design customization options. It’s possible to set up shipping and payment details here, create discount coupons, design show windows, set up product import/export parameters, set up tax management options, create and update product galleries, add and manage lists of products, add customer testimonials etc.
- Mobile-Ready eCommerce Templates. The website builder boasts a rich collection of eCommerce templates, which are quality and mobile-optimized by default. The advanced mobile editor makes it possible to create and manage the mobile version of your retail website without changing its desktop mode.
- Wix ADI. The Artificial Design Intelligence Tool will come in handy to those entrepreneurs, who are unaware of intricate web design features yet intend to launch a large-scale and decent retail website.
- Multilingual Support. Due to the advanced multilingual support feature, it’s possible to make your retail website available in several languages. This lets you establish relations with international partners, attract the attention of the foreign audience and strengthen your positions in the international market.
- App Market. This is the place, where you will find lots of widgets and extensions to be integrated into your retail website to boost its performance. These include Wix Stores, eBay Commerce, Store Metrics, Amazon, Etsy Shop, Webstore Ads, Simpl-e-Commerce and more.
Cost: Wix has a free plan that never expires and five paid subscriptions, all of which are quite affordable to all user categories. The cheapest plan will cost you $13/mo. You can start exploring the system for free, upgrading to the paid plan any time you want. That’s very convenient for everyone.
WooCommerce – Retail Website Development with WordPress
WooCommerce – is a popular open-source WordPress plugin that makes it possible to add shopping cart functionality to your retail website, thus, letting you create a small-to-medium online store with impressive functionality. As of today, over 350,000 of online stores have been launched with the plugin and many more are under construction.
The functionality of WooCommerce is enough to create a great retail website, but it may take some time to master all the nuances of the plugin and learn some coding basics to get the most out of the web design process. Have a look at some of the most distinctive WooCommerce features now:
- Simple Integration and Set Up. WooCommerce integration doesn’t take much time, but it still requires preliminary preparation and a bit of programming knowledge. Right after you cope with the installation procedure, you’ll be offered a detailed wizard on how to launch a retail website. Just follow the instructions to get started!
- Impressive eCommerce Features. Being initially an eCommerce plugin, WooCommerce provides a set of out-of-the-box features that contribute to the efficacy of the web design process. There are lots of extensions you can integrate into your project, geolocation support options, opportunity to create mobile-optimized website design and upload/sell digital or physical products etc.
- Product Management Options. With WooCommerce, you can effectively organize your product assortment, set up and apply inventory management options, add product reviews and customer testimonials, create and update product catalogues, assign categories to all products offered, set up search filter parameters etc.
- Payment Options. WooCommerce lets you introduce checkout and payment alternatives, accept orders and payments online, create and implement discounts/coupons codes, set up tax and shipping details, use external and integrated analytics tools to keep track of sales statistics, organize mailouts etc.
Cost: WooCommerce is a free plugin that does not require any fees to be downloaded and installed. However, the plugin implies hosting installation and offers a set of paid features that help you get the most out of your retail website creation. Speaking about hosting, it makes sense to use the official WordPress hosting – Bluehost. Its feature set is enough to cover the prevailing amount of hosting needs, while the price range is moderate and affordable to everyone. The cheapest Bluehost plan costs $2.95/mo, while the most costly option constitutes $13.95/mo.
SITE123 – 100% Free-to-Start Online Web Store Builder
SITE123 – is the 100% free-to-start online web store builder, which encompasses stunning ease-of-use, extensive functionality and intuitive web design approach. The platform is one of the simplest SaaS systems available in the modern web development niche, which means that no programming skills are required to start projects with it. SITE123 offers a set of integrated design customization tools and features that make the process of retail store creation and customization easy, handy, convenient and understandable for everyone, including first-time users. To find out the major advantages of the website builder, have a look at the list provided below:
- eCommerce Widgets. SITE123 cannot boast a powerful eCommerce engine that lets you start websites of diverse sizes and niche specialization. However, the system grants access to several must-have eCommerce widgets and applications that will eventually give your project distinctive eCommerce focus. These include Galleries, Live Chat, Booking, Social Widgets, Online Forms and many more.
- Multilingual Support. Having a multilingual website is not a whim, but a necessity for any retail business owner. This is where SITE123 will be of great help. The system offers multilingual support feature, which eliminates the need to design several versions of your project in the languages of your choice. Instead, it is enough to start one website in several languages with regard to your business needs.
- Online Form Builder. Opportunity of online form builder integration is another advantage for your web store. It lets your customers fill out different forms directly at the website, while completing their orders or willing to get in touch with you. The tool is absolutely free for every SITE123 subscriber, who intends to start a retail website with the system.
- Logo Maker. In case you’ve never had a retail website before and you don’t have the one in any physical location, you will sooner or later face the need to create a logo for your project. SITE123 can help you with that as well due to its integrated high end Logo Maker tool, which is absolutely free for each and every user. There is also an opportunity to upload the existing logo, if any and customize it to get the required result.
Cost: SITE123 is not only simple – it’s also affordable. The system offers an opportunity to start a free website and use it for the unlimited period of time. However, the free plan comes with serious restrictions that don’t let you get the most out of your website development and management process. For those users, who make up the decision to use the system further, SITE123 allows choosing between 4 paid plans, the cheapest of which costs $10.80 per month.
Squarespace – Online Retail Website Builder
Squarespace – is the online retail website builder, which is included into the list of globally recognized web design platforms. The system is used to start different types of web projects, including retail websites. It delivers exceptional flexibility and functionality that do not compromise with convenience and ease-of-use. The system stands out from the crowd due to its impressive collection of responsive designs, Cover Page website builder, enhanced usability, blogging options, integration and management solutions. If you currently think about using Squarespace, have a look at its major highlights now:
- Email Campaigns. Squarespace allows launching advanced email marketing campaigns with a few clicks only. Each user may choose between two options – manual and automated email campaign creation depending upon his/her skills, time and requirements.
- Location Management. The website builder makes it possible to integrate Google Maps into your website to increase your company visibility. This helps indicate the correct physical location of your retail business (if any) and check their visibility in google search. This is a surefire way to drive attention to your local storefront.
- eCommerce Templates. The platform offers a pretty nice collection of quality templates, including those for eCommerce use.They are free and responsive and you can also edit them in the Page Editor, using your coding skills if required.
- Advanced eCommerce Functionality. Squarespace comed with a powerful eCommerce engine. When launching web stores with the system, you can make use of product/order management options, currency and payment options choice, online forms/widget/social media integration and more.
- Logo Maker. The website builder lets you design your web store logo to further integrate it into your website. The entire process takes almost no time, while the result you get absolutely adheres to your needs.
Cost: Squarespace doesn’t have a free plan yet it makes it possible to choose from four paid subscriptions. The cheapest of them will cost you $12/mo, but it mainly works well for personal projects. To start a web store, you’ll have to upgrade either to the Basic Commerce plan or to the Advanced Commerce Plan. Their cost constitutes $26/mo and $40/mo correspondingly.
Weebly – Simple Way to Create a Website from Scratch
Weebly – is a popular drag & drop store builder that allows starting visually-impressive and feature-laden web projects to sell physical/digital products online. No coding expertise is required to work with the system – it is intuitive, functional and convenient for everyone. However, it takes time to master the system due to its somewhat oversaturated dashboard. Weebly follows the “box” model that lets you create your web store structure based on your special needs. The system was initially created for blogging purposes yet it acquired a strong eCommerce focus after its acquisition by Square in 2018. Since that time, it grants access to powerful eCommerce features, the major of which are listed below:
- Advanced Web Store Management. Weebly allows using its high end web store management tools to effectively run your project. These include a fully-integrated customizable shopping cart, secure payment options, easy product upload and management, order/product/statistics tracking, CSV file export-import, search filter option, App Center and many more.
- Email Marketing. The website builder lets you manage your email marketing campaign to keep your customers aware of recent business updates, news, special offers and other related info they will appreciate.
- Niche Templates. Weebly boasts an impressive collection of responsive customizable and free templates, which easily adapt to desktop and mobile screens. The designs are niche-specific, which simplifies user choice. It is also possible to upload your own template or the one you’ve purchased from third-party designers.
- High End Marketing Tools. The system grants access to its high end integrated marketing tools. One of the most professional solutions here is Weebly Promote tool, which comes with a set of pre-designed templates for different types of email marketing campaigns (bulletins, promo newsletters, product presentations and more).
- Form Builder. The platform lets you create, integrate and manage custom online forms you can use for more effective web store performance. Due to the convenient drag & drop Weebly editor, the system makes it possible to design contact forms, RSVP lists, surveys, polls and other types of projects.
Cost: Weebly has a free never expiring subscription you can use for as long as you need to explore all the system nuances. As soon as you decide to launch a professional website, you’ll be offered to choose from standard and specific eCommerce plans. Their cost starts from $4/mo depending upon the terms/services included.
Square Online – Online Retail Store Website Builder
Square – is a contemporary online retail store website builder, which offers top notch solutions for merchants across the globe. The system makes it possible to sell digital and physical products by means of launching and managing large-scale web stores. The company has acquired Weebly in 2018, which has strengthened the positions of both systems in the web design market. Apart from website development, Square also provides high end payment processing options, which is a great advantage for online retailers. To find out more about the platform, have a look at its major benefits now:
- Integration with Weebly. Square and Weebly integration allows getting the most out of the functionality of both systems. To be precise, you can use Weebly templates and design customization tools to create a website and then integrate payment processing options Square comes with. This eventually ensures impressive result.
- Advanced eCommerce Features. Square grants access to powerful eCommerce options. The system boasts extensive product management features, statistics/order tracking, completion of inner shop management, product import, inventory synchronization etc.
- Payment Options. Due to Square specialization, it is now possible to accept and process payments via multiple gateways (credit and debit cards) as well as to support mobile services (Google Pay, Apple etc.). All the transactions made with the system are secure and reliable. Square offers an opportunity to use its virtual terminal to make payments online and it also allows printing receipts and sending them by mail to other users.
- POS and Card Reader. Square boasts its advanced Point-of-Sale software and availability of the card reader. These are helpful solutions for users, who plan to sell products at their local storefronts. All the data are automatically displayed in the online dashboard of the system.
Cost: Square offers two pricing options. The first one is to use one of its paid plans (the system also has a free subscription that provides users with all the features required to get started). The cost of its premium plans starts from $12/mo. You may upgrade to one of three subscriptions depending on your needs and intentions. The second option is to integrate Square with one of the existing Weebly plans – either Professional or Performance.
Sellfy – Cheap eCommerce Platform for Creators
Sellfy – is a cheap eCommerce platform for creators, which unveils an opportunity of affordable and effective retail website development. The website builder is handy, intuitive and easy-to-use for all web designers, regardless of their previous expertise and coding skills. When using Sellfy, you can start and update web store, offering multiple physical/digital products for sale. If you are right about to sign up for the platform, you’ll be excited to find out some of its outstanding advantages:
- eCommerce Focus. Sellfy is the all-in-one eCommerce platform, which makes it possible to design a full-featured online store from scratch. No coding skills are required to do that as the system utilizes intuitive web design approach. The system comes with multiple eCommerce options like product gallery/category creation and updating, image/video uploading, shopping cart integration and customization, payment/shipping adjustment etc.
- Social Network Integration. The website builder lets you sell products (both digital and physical) that are available in stock of your retail storefront via popular social network platforms. These include Twitter, YouTube, SoundCloud, Facebook, Instagram etc. By sharing your retail website-related news and updates in these accounts, you will notify your customers about the events happening in your niche.
- Integrated App Market. Sellfy comes with the integrated app market, where one can find and choose multiple widgets, add-ons, extensions and applications that are a must-have for any retail website. Some of them include Facebook Pixel and Chat, Google Analytics, Zapier as well as other marketing/analytic tools.
Cost: Selly doesn’t have a free unlimited plan yet it allows choosing one of three paid subscriptions. The most cost-effective solution is the Starter Plan, the cost of which constitutes $19/mo. The system also unveils the opportunity to make the one-time payment, while opting for the preferred paid subscription. This is how you can save up to 34% of the initial subscription cost.
Quick eSelling – Web Commerce Solution for Retailers
Quick eSelling – is an advanced web commerce solution for retailers. This is the only contemporary eCommerce web store builder, which provides completely free website and mobile app set up with all the standard features included. The system comes with free domain name, hosting and multiple niche advantages. Quick eSelling is quite easy to use as the system is initially geared towards the needs of entrepreneurs, who are not quite proficient in web design. Thus, the main features of the website builder currently encompass:
- Free Website and Mobile App Features. Quick eSelling provides exciting mobile app features combined with high end free website development solutions. This ensures the unsurpassed shopping experience that helps attract and retain customers.
- Powerful CRM. The platform comes with a powerful CRM used to manage your web store with maximum efficacy. It’s up to you to update a web store whenever required to promote your products and generate more clients. What’s more, you can enhance your marketing success with effective campaigns you can develop here on your own.
- Exclusive eCommerce Designs. The website builder boasts a collection of quality premium templates that match various business niches. You can pick any responsive design and customize it here or hire the system experts to do that for you.
Cost: The website builder has a free plan that lets you create a responsive website on the system’s subdomain. This, however, is not the best option for a professional web store. To launch the one, you should upgrade to one of three premium plans. The cheapest of them will cost you $199/mo, which is quite expensive for an ordinary user, though.
uKit – Simple Website Builder for Retail Business
uKit – is a simple website builder for retail business, which was specially created with the needs and requirements of entrepreneurs in mind. The platform allows creating different types of small business projects, but it also works well for portfolios, blogs and small-to-mid-sized retail stores. One of the major features that makes the system stand out from the crowd is its explicit simplicity for everyone, including those users, who have never been involved in website development before.
This DIY cloud website builder is stunningly easy, offering intuitive website navigation, simple web design approach, absence of coding skills or preliminary web design background. These are the main features that make the service a great pick for those users, who lack web design skills for some reason yet still intend to launch retail business websites to generate traffic and profit. Listed below are the main uKit highlights you’ll be excited to know about:
- Responsive Designs. The website builder comes with a superb collection of responsive and highly-customizable business designs you can use to start a project absolutely from scratch. No coding skills are required to give the website stunning and personalized appeal along with high end functionality. uKit template collection encomapsses numerous business templates, many of which can be picked to start and manage retail websites. What;s important, the system allows switching the templates on any stage of the website development process, which is an important option for beginners.
- Retail Widgets. uKit comes with a set of retail and business widgets, which add functionality to your website. Among the widgets you may go for, it makes sense to initially mention Google Maps, Steps, Timeline, Social Networks and many more. Timely integration of these and other widgets can notably contribute to profitable performance of your online store.
- Online Calculator. Availability of this uKit widget is a great advantage your retail website just won’t go without. Due to the uCalc, which is integrated into your project with a few clicks only, your website visitors (potential buyers) will be able to independently figure out the cost of services/products you are ready to offer for sale. This initially helps save your time and the time/effort of your customers.
- eCommerce Functionality. The website builder comes with a worthy eCommerce engine that lets you start and then effectively manage/promote a small-to-mid-sized retail store. The eCommerce functionality is conveniently realized in two major ways here. You can either connect the eCommerce widget to your website to use it as a web store or integrate the Ecwid plugin for the same purpose.
Cost: uKit is not a free website builder yet it offers a free trial that lasts for 14 days and helps you explore/test/master the entire feature set of the platform that might come in handy for your retail website. As soon as you are sure about further use of the website builder, you may upgrade to one of its paid subscriptions, all of which are impressingly affordable for everyone. The cheapest uKit plan costs $4/mo – you will hardly find such a generous offer providing the same functionality rate out there!
Building a quality retail website doesn’t have to be a dreadful or challenging experience. Instead, it’s easy to cope with the task by using a reliable website builder that will help design a full-featured and appealing retail website that will drive the attention of the target audience, thus growing the customer base and increasing the amount of sales.
Picking the right retail website builder may pose a problem to inexperienced users. However, the final choice should be based upon your needs, skills and available budget. If you are looking for a specialized eCommerce website builder, then Shopify, Wix and WooCommerce are the platforms you should go for. They are feature-rich, functional and niche-oriented. Each system is geared towards specific eCommerce and web design needs as well as certain target audiences. Just weigh your retail website development needs, business objectives and budget investment solutions to pick the platform to come up to the complete set of your requirements.