PureVPN – is a premium-level VPN service with over 6,500 in more than 78+ countries. The provider offers great security features, P2P compatibility, and unlimited bandwidth. Users are content with its fast connection and stable connection, a fairly good level of privacy, as well as diverse bonuses and opportunities offered by the developer. The company tries hard to ensure confidentiality. Among other things, the provider advertises with excellent encryption and port forwarding capability. You can also enjoy streaming services such as Netflix.
How good is the provider? What about its security? We will answer all these questions below. We’ve tried out PureVPN for you and will show you what offers are available and how you can set up the service fast and easily.
PureVPN Key Features
PureVPN is offering a robust service with speedy servers around the globe. It has a large set of functions, even considering that a subscription to this VPN service can be bought for little money, even for a long period. PureVPN offers the following standard features:
- Unblocking streaming platforms. While testing the servers, we could immediately connect to Disney+, and with the help of a browser extension, we got access to Netflix in the USA, Amazon Prime Video, and HBO. You will also access geo-restricted channels from any country.
- High speed on local servers. We recorded impressive speed when testing nearby servers, but the speed decreased when using more remote ones.
- Robust security. Owing to reliable encryption and automatic shutdown function, this VPN will guarantee full protection of your information.
- No-logs policy. The provider’s no-logs policy was independently audited and verified — it does not collect your IP address or online traffic (files you download and websites you visit).
- Kill Switch. This function disables your internet if the VPN connection goes down, thus preventing sudden IP address leaks.
- 256-bit AES encryption. The system incorporates bank-grade encryption to keep your data secure.
- Simultaneous connections. It is compatible with up to 10 devices, so you will certainly be able to benefit from the opportunity to connect multiple devices.
- Working with torrents. Torrents and P2P file sharing are also allowed, but the availability of servers depends on the legislation of the countries they are hosted in.
- Access to China. PureVPN can safely bypass the Great Firewall, but don’t forget to install it in advance before your trip.
- Updates. The recent update of the applications has made their use even more enjoyable for users. PureVPN listened to its users, updated applications, and made them easier to manage.
- Refund guarantee. You can use the money-back guarantee for 31 days for self-testing and evaluation of the application.
- IKEv2 and OpenVPN protocols. The protocols that the service supports, provide rapid speed and exceptional security. The service has features of full leak protection (DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC).
- Split tunneling (for Android + Windows). This straightforward feature allows selecting which apps are routed via the VPN connection and which ones are routed via your local one.
- DDoS protection. This charged safety feature is handy for gamers who can be targeted with a DDoS attack. This slows down users’ network connection speeds. The industry-best gaming VPNs, like ExpressVPN, come with DDoS.
- Automatic protocol selection. There is no need to delve into technical difficulties, according to the developers. Just press the button and it will work.
- A dedicated IP address. It is issued at the request of the user. It may be needed for online banking, IP telephony, video tracking, FTP access, and other services operating through a fixed IP address.
In addition to the standard features like anonymization, IP change, and access to geo-blocked sites, PureVPN developers offer other functions designed to make the use process as comfortable and secure as possible.
Privacy and Security
PureVPN maintains a strict and transparent no-logs policy — it does not monitor your bandwidth, IP address, or traffic (the files you download or the pages you visit). It only stores your email address, your name, and the payment option to contact you and support. Its no-log policy was audited and verified independently multiple times.
OpenVPN encryption is a solid encryption standard that makes it easy to compare services. The provider uses the listed OpenVPN settings in confidentiality/security mode:
- Control channel: AES-256-CBC with RSA-2048 handshake encryption with HMAC SHA384 hash authentication. Direct secrecy is provided through Diffie-Helman (DE) key exchange.
- Data channel: AES-256-CBC with HMAC SHA1 hash authentication.
Other modes have less secure encryption, but if you care about confidentiality and security, you should use OpenVPN in security/privacy mode. Note that client applications use IKEv2 by default, which is considered secure.
The system automatically detects when your device connects to an unsecured WiFi network and offers to link to a VPN. This function can protect you from hackers when using public Wi-Fi hotspots.
The company’s headquarters are in the British Virgin Islands, and it is not a member of the well-known 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances (countries that share surveillance info).
To sum up, PureVPN has an open and audited no-log policy and is headquartered outside the 5/9/14 Eyes Alliances jurisdiction). Another good thing about the VPN is that it has an “always-on” audit policy. This means that the company’s KPMG – contracted security firm can at any time audit PureVPN’s policy without earlier notice.
PureVPN Speed & Performance
Our team has tested the speed of PureVPN in 75+ countries using our Windows 10 PC. It was a pleasant surprise to see that the system maintains very high speeds on nearby as well as some distant servers. Nonetheless, we experienced evident slowdowns on remotely-located servers.
- First, we tested the speed of our local network connection not having the VPN enabled.
- Next, we linked to a local server in the USA using the system’s 1-click connection tool.
- Then we tested the speeds while being connected to a remote server in Europe.
To sum up, keeps constant fast speeds on the local servers, but we spotted some noticeable slowdowns on remote servers.
|Reduced file download speed||Reduced file transfer speed||Response rate from Google.com||Average connection time (in seconds)||Unblocks|
|PureVPN||40% (UK)||37% (FRA)||41ms||11|
|Average scores of the top 10 VPN servers||18% (UK)||20% (FRA)||24ms||11|
On near-located servers in the USA, HD videos on YouTube loaded almost right away and only had little buffering. The P2P files downloaded pretty fast, and it took websites 1-2 seconds to load. Yet, when we connected to servers located in Germany and Ireland, sites took up to 5 seconds to start and HD videos loaded for 15 seconds (but they played without any buffering). In general, we maintained fast download speeds — we managed to download a 20 GB file in around 35 minutes, which is a good indicator.
The provider does not limit the channel in any way when using it, so you get the same speed as without using a VPN. The connection is stable, and in extreme cases, you can connect to another server, the number of reconnections is unlimited.
It is permissible to use one license on five devices at once, stationary and mobile.
PureVPN works well for streaming, yet it has some limitations — it performed well with the best streaming platforms like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, and some smaller ones such as VRV, Rai TV, and Sony Crackle. Netflix did not always work on the initial attempt, and we were unable to access Amazon Prime.
The service is good for torrenting. It has special P2P servers that are optimized to deliver fast speeds for downloading files and works with the most popular torrent clients like Deluge, uTorrent, and BitTorrent, and you can add port forwarding (to connect to more peers for faster speeds) for an extra cost.
PureVPN offers a number of servers according to your connection speed requirements. If you want to connect to a streaming service through a VPN application, it will automatically connect you to a faster server. If you need complete anonymity, you can use the OpenVPN protocol, which slows down the connection speed, but you won’t notice a huge difference.
In general, PureVPN works with popular streaming websites, and it allows torrenting in 30+ countries on dedicated P2P servers.
Pricing and Plans
The service offers three basic plans: monthly, six-month and annual. It allows connecting to up to 10 devices at once, which is above the industry average (5-7). They also sometimes have promotions, and at this time you can sign up for an extended two-year plan.
PureVPN offers a 1-month plan priced $10.95 per month, a 1-year plan ($2.99 per month), and a 2-year plan ($1.99 per month).
- The provider’s monthly kit is competitive with other leading VPNs, yet its annual plans are very reasonable.
- The service also has business plans for a month, and they base their cost on the size of your team.
PureVPN offers a free trial period for 7 days, as well as a 100% refund in 31 days. There are several payment methods available here, including credit cards, PayPal, Google Pay, Alipay, Paymentwall, and cryptocurrency payments. To track current promotions, it is better to monitor the provider’s official website rather than buy coupons from questionable platforms.
If you are serious about your anonymity, you can pay for services with cryptocurrency since your data will remain hidden from prying eyes. There is no free trial period here, but you can get a 3-day paid trial period for $2.5. This way you can test the service.
We strongly recommend that you do not download free versions of PureVPN on torrents and pirate sites. In this case, your data will not be protected from leaks and hacker attacks.
The company sets average market prices. If you take an annual or semi-annual package, the VPN price in terms of each month will be lower. In addition, promotions are regularly held when it is even more profitable to buy a package. In any case, the purchase of the program is worth it since it is definitely convenient and understandable, while one license can be used on five devices. Overall, PureVPN has reasonably priced monthly and annual plans, but these packages don’t offer the same value as the top VPNs on the market.
How To Use PureVPN
Installing PureVPN on your device is not very difficult. However, there is something else that needs to be done with the configuration and interface of the program.
- Create an account
After a successful purchase, you will receive a username and a password. The program can be downloaded from the official website for all common operating systems. Mobile apps can be found in the Google Play Store for Android or in the AppStore for iOS. After downloading the program, you install it in the desired location and open it.
When it comes to customization, things get a little more complicated. While other VPN providers usually only have a “Connect” button in the start window, PureVPN displays various modes.
You can choose one of the following modes: Stream, Internet Freedom, Security and Privacy, Data exchange, and Dedicated IP address. When you click the details, you will get an overview of the properties of the individual modes.
After selecting the modes, you will immediately see which functions are activated and which are deactivated. On the “preferences” tab, you can configure your mode as you want.
After setting up, you can finally connect to the server of your choice and get started.
If at first glance, the process may seem clear and easy, but in general, it is superfluous.
PureVPN is a service with good security features, pretty fast connection speeds, a robust server network, and affordable prices. The system delivers industry-standard VPN confidentiality and security features such as a kill switch, 256-bit AES encryption, and a clear no-logs policy. It supports torrenting on dedicated P2P servers, uses trustworthy encryption, and partners with the best streaming services, for instance, Netflix. It unblocks DAZN, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and Youtube. It has a reasonable price – for $ 1.99 / month, users can profitably purchase a powerful VPN service.
However, the service does not have advanced security features such as perfect forward secrecy, and it charges extra for port forwarding and DDoS protection. It doesn’t work with Amazon Prime, and its support service is not operative. Also, WireGuard is available only on Android and Windows.
Overall, the platform does its job effectively. We were pleasantly surprised by the results of PureVPN in all tests. Although it’s not perfect, it turned out to be a swift, secure, and client-oriented VPN service. Reasonable pricing and packages with a 31-day refund guarantee are attractive for users. Yet, some of its competitors on the market offer much better quality than PureVPN.