Whether you are an artist, a photographer or a creative willing to showcase your works, you won’t go without a portfolio website. The question is: how can you get the one, if you don’t wish to hire a web designer and invest into complex projects? This is where a website builder will come in handy to you!
Website builders are the simplest and the most convenient tools you can use to create a portfolio website in a couple of hours only. They come with a variety of functions, features and built-in tools that allow for quick and convenient website customization. This is their major advantage over other web building services.
Portfolios created with website builders do not only look professionally, but they are also characterized by powerful functionality. What’s more, these systems are affordable and easy to use, which makes them a smart choice for non-techies, who don’t have the notion of website building. So, if you need a nice and appealing portfolio to showcase your works and attract the attention of the target audience, you will hardly find a better solution than this one. Which website builder will work best for this very purpose? Let’s discuss that further.
We Tested Out 10 Of The Best Portfolio Website Builders:
- Wix – The Best Free Portfolio Website Builder
- uKit – Simple Small Business Website Builder
- Tailor Brands – Best Service To Order Portfolio Website
- WordPress – Self-hosted Platform for Portfolio
- Ucraft – Super-easy Online Portfolio Builder
- Bookmark – Canadian A.I.-powered Website Builder
- Squarespace – Easy Platform for Portfolio Websites
- Portfoliobox – Best Portfolios for Creatives
- Gator – Hosting with Built-in Portfolio Builder
- Allyou – Online Portfolio Website Builder
Thus, we have come up to the major point of the discussion: reviews of the best website builders that let your start professional portfolio websites and offer powerful integrated functionality you can use to do that. Let’s get started right away.
Wix – The Best Free Portfolio Website Builder
Wix – is the best free portfolio website builder, which enjoys worldwide popularity and comes with a powerful feature set needed to complete a rich spectrum of tasks. Portfolio websites launched with the platform do not only have stunning look, but they also feature high end performance and contribute to traffic generation.
Intuitive and powerful, the service works best for models, artists, photographers and other users, who wish to present their works and business skills to the community and encourage the potential customers explore their creative talent. The major advantages of the service are as follows:
- Impressive Portfolio Template Library. Wix offers one of the most extensive collections of designer-made templates, which includes a portfolio section with dozens of mobile-ready themes for graphic designers, photographers, resumes, illustrators, business consultants, artists, journalists, musicians, art directors, interior designers, actors, stylists, models and what not.
- Blogging. The website builder allows adding a blog to your portfolio website, which enables you to stay in touch with clients, sharing your ideas, news, events and work updates.
- Slideshows and Galleries. With Wix, you can upload your photos and videos into galleries and create slideshows to attract user attention from the very first sight.
- HD Video Hosting. Wix allows you to showcase your talent by incorporating your Vimeo and YouTube videos (if any) into the newly created portfolio to tell your story and share news or upcoming events in the unique, fun and extraordinary way.
- User Interaction Tools. The website builder allows browsing and using a set of customer interaction tools that contribute to user engagement, satisfaction and retention rates. The tools are available in Wix App Market and you can select those that perfectly come up to you portfolio requirements and web design needs. Some of the most popular client interaction widgets and extensions you can make use of include Events Calendar, Scheduling Pro, Google Event Calendar, Latest News, Wix Chat, 123 Form Builder, Wix Forms, Contact Management +CRM, Callback, Book Appointments Online, Live Chat and more.
- Customer Testimonials. The website builder makes it possible to enable user testimonials feature that allows your clients leave their reviews regarding your work, their impressions and satisfaction rate. This is one of the best ways to let the potential clients find out more about your professionalism level and variety of services you can offer. Some of the most functional widgets and extensions you can come across in Wix App Market and integrate into your portfolio website encompass Social Testimonials, Voice Comments+, Customer Reviews, Testimonial Builder, MyReviews, Comments, Yelp, Comments+ and Inffuse Testimonials to mention a few.
- eCommerce Engine. Wix comes with a powerful eCommerce engine that lets you give your portfolio website web store functionality. This is a handy feature, if you intend not only to showcase your works of art or other portfolio items, but also to sell them directly at the website. Variety of eCommerce options will help you launch and successfully run a web store that will come up to your needs and preferences.
- SEO Wiz. The more users visit your portfolio and find out about your performance, the higher the chances to reach the target audience and complete your web design objectives are. To increase the chances for better user attraction, the website builder offers an opportunity to use its advanced SEO Wiz tool. It helps boost the efficacy of your portfolio promotion and it also makes it possible to track website statistics to make sure your projects ranks high in the search engines.
Wix is an all-in-one drag-and-drop website builder you can effectively use to launch a portfolio website. With an impressive niche template gallery, exquisite designs, abundance of specialized apps and widgets, powerful customization tools, integrated Wix ADI feature and other features, Wix has certainly something special to let you present your works to the advantage.
Free plan/trial: Yes.
Cost: from $13/mo.
uKit – Simple Small Business Website Builder
uKit – is a simple, convenient and affordable small business website builder, which works great for the development and further promotion of portfolio projects. The platform comes with a user-friendly interface, providing the required toolset to start and manage professional, visually-appealing and highly functional portfolios with integrated web hosting.
uKit is a nice pick for creatives, artists and people of different professions, who have the desire to present their skills and talent in the form of a quality portfolio. Have a look at some of its highlights:
- Portfolio Template Choice. uKit offers a nice gallery of pre-designed portfolio templates, which are responsive by default and 100% customizable to make your project stand out from the crowd (you can switch the themes during the web design process).
- Social Media Promotion. Integration with social media accounts allows publishing your posts and portfolio updates to share with your clients and subscribers at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social accounts.
- Blogging Option. By adding a blog to your portfolio, you will be able to write posts, recent events and updates, new portfolio items to keep your clients aware of everything that is going on in your career.
- Temporary Website Management Rights. If you plan to work on your portfolio website development in cooperation with a co-partner, for example, you can share the access rights with everyone, who will update the portfolio together with you.
- User Interaction Options. With uKit, you have access to powerful user interaction options that contribute to better website performance and higher customer generation rates. Among the tools you can integrate into your portfolio website, it makes sense to mention live chat and callback widget that let you connect with your customers whenever required.
- Widget Choice. The website builder grants access to its integrated widget collection, which can notably contribute to your portfolio website performance. Users can choose such widgets as Timer, Social Networking Buttons, Timeline, User Comments, Service Calculator etc.
- SSL Certification. If you plan to use a portfolio website to sell your works, connection of the SSL Certificate will definitely be a nice option. It ensures maximum website safety and confidentiality of user payment/personal info as well as anti-scam protection.
uKit is a reliable and professional website builder, which deserves to be considered one of the best services to launch quality portfolio websites from scratch. Due to the drag-and-drop functionality of the service, ease of use, convenience and intuitive dashboard, the system is a great choice even for people with no coding skills and web design expertise at all.
Free plan/trial: 14-day free trial.
Cost: from $4/mo.
Tailor Brands – Best Service to Order Portfolio Website
Tailor Brands – is the best service to order a professional portfolio website. The platform has initially been focused on helping entrepreneurs streamline their businesses via the enhancement of branding processes. Thus, the system grants access to multiple integrated features and branding improvement solutions that can eventually make your portfolio website stand out from the crowd.
Tailor Brands is the AI-powered platform that also allows for high end logo design. This gives your project professional touch and unique brand identity. Have a look at the most remarkable features of the system now:
- Logo Maker. This is one of the most impressive features of the platform, which allows creating and publishing website logo to reveal your brand identity to the advantage. The system comes with a set of logo design tools and elements that simplify the development process and let you pick the preferred logo design, type, fonts and other design elements. Having made the choice, the system will use its automated AI algorithm to create one-of-a-kind logo design that will contribute to your portfolio website reputation and recognizability.
- Branding Toolset. Along with logo creation features, the platform grants access to the powerful branding toolset that ads to your business reputation. The tools the system offers by default are automatically adaptable. This means that you can use your Business Card and EPS file ideas to run website design that ideally matches your business specification.
- Tailor Ads. The system comes with the integrated and fully-automated Tailor Ads platform, which makes it possible to design instant advertisements to match your business needs. These ad-related options are available in multiple variations and it’s up to you to pick those that perfectly match your business requirements.
- Social Management Features. With Tailor Brands, you can share your website-associated content and post articles across social networks to make users aware of recent news updates, events and other related info.
Tailor Brands is a full-featured contemporary platform, which helps create unique logo design and business branding to make your portfolio stand out from the crowd. The system encompases the all-in-one feature set needed to reach the goals you set. It offers an advanced Logo Maker, branding tools, marketing and website development solutions that come with integrated eCommerce functionality.
Free plan/trial: No.
Cost: from $9.99/mo.
WordPress – Self-Hosted Platform for Portfolio
WordPress – is a professional and world-popular self-hosted platform for portfolio creation. The Content Management System stands out from the crowd due to its powerful integration options, availability of high end and completely customizable designs, niche plugins and advanced customization tools.
The fact that WordPress is the CMS implies the awareness of the major coding basics. This, however, does not mean that the platform is too complicated for ordinary users. Instead, even newbies can explore and master it to be able to develop high end projects. Listed below are the main advantages of the service:
- Plugin and Widget Integration. There are hundreds of external plugins and widgets you can pick and integrate into your portfolio to give it stunning look and high end functionality. Some of the best portfolio plugins you can choose from include Envira Gallery, Nimble Portfolio, WP Portfolio Plugin, Portfolio Gallery, Projects by WooThemes, NextGen Gallery, Custom Content Portfolio etc. There are also special customer engagement plugins as well as marketing and support extensions that are free and paid.
- Portfolio Templates – The CMS has a collection of built-in themes, but there are also multiple portfolio templates that are specially designed for WordPress by third-party developers. These templates are free and paid – the latter are more secure and reliable.
- Gutenberg Editor – The latest WordPress 5.0 version comes with Gutenberg Editor that notably simplifies the process of website creation, making it somewhat similar to the standard website builder. Just pick and customize the required content blocks to get the desired result.
- eCommerce – WordPress makes it possible to sell your works directly at the website via integrating specialized niche plugins like WooCommerce. You can keep track of your customers’ behaviour, interests and even communicate with them at the website to be able to offer them your best works.
WordPress is a popular CMS, the range of features of which is more than enough to start and manage an appealing portfolio website. The system is worth the attention of users, who expect to launch projects that look professional and are easy-to-update at the same time. WordPress boasts plugin integration possibilities, rich template choice and reasonable pricing policy to fit any budget.
When it comes to the choice of hosting, WordPress recommends Bluehost that comes with multiple advantages (add-ons, apps and scripts, strong uptime rates, rich marketplace with hundreds of plugins, fast page load speed, safety, extensive content marketing and SEO options, multiple applications, eCommerce focus etc.). The cheapest Bluehost plan will cost you $2.95/mo only – that’s definitely a worthy solution.
Free plan/trial: Yes.
Cost: 2.95/mo for the hosting (in case of Bluehost) plus the cost of plugin/template integration.
Ucraft – Super-Easy Online Portfolio Builder
Ucraft – is the super-easy online portfolio builder, which is worth the attention of newbies and web design pros. The cloud website builder boasts an extensive range of features, design customization tools and solutions required to start and manage professional portfolios.
The system works great for artists and creatives, who have the intention to design stunning projects to showcase their talent and masterpieces. Portfolio websites created with the system help reflect your personality and express creative freedom, irrespective of your website development skills and knowledge. Here is a quick overview of the system’s highlights:
- Portfolio Templates – Ucraft template collection is comprised of quality designs that can cover a broad range of users’ needs and are fully customizable so that you could pick and use any of them for your artsy portfolio website. The best portfolio templates are available in the Art category of the catalogue, but you can choose any of the available themes to create your own one-of-a-kind design from scratch.
- eCommerce Engine – The system comes with the integrated eCommerce engine that makes it possible to sell your creative works, if you have such an intention.
- Integrable Apps – Ucraft has a rich selection of applications that can contribute to your portfolio design and performance. Some of the best apps that work great for any portfolio include Disqus, Google Analytics, LiveAgent, Zendesk Chat, Jivosite, Live Agent and more.
- Mobile-Friendliness – Ucraft templates feature outstanding UX design, which make them mobile-friendly so that users could further view your portfolio both on desktop and mobile devices.
- Live Chat Support – If you accidentally face problems while working on your project, Ucraft customer support team will provide you with 24/7 live chat support.
- Logo Maker – The tool lets you create or upload and then customize your own logo that will help popularize your brand on the web, making it stand out from the crowd.
- Designer Tools – The website builder is known for its advanced Designer Tools that can help you get the most out of your portfolio design. These include typography, UI Kit and form builder as well as layout.
- Free Landing Page Creator. Ucraft unveils an opportunity to make use of the free Landing Page Creator that lets you design and manage professional landing pages without paying for that. The tool lets you effectively showcase your works of art – those you just wish to display as well as those you intend to offer for sale. The system lets you choose and customize multiple landing page templates based on your portfolio web development needs.
Ucraft is a new generation website builder, which sees its mission in the simplification of the web design process. However, ease-of-use and convenience of the system do not compromise with the quality result users avail in the long run. The website builder is created with a strong emphasis on user experience and design. Just drag and drop the elements and content blocks to create a stunning portfolio you’ll be proud of!
Free plan/trial: Yes.
Cost: from $10/mo.
Bookmark – Canadian A.I. – Powered Website Builder
Bookmark – is the Canadian-based AI-powered website builder, which unveils multiple benefits and tools to users willing to run professional portfolio websites. The system holds one of the leading positions in the list of contemporary DIY website builders. It is feature-rich, offering creative freedom and multiple design customization tools to users involved in portfolio website development.
Working with Bookmark is easy, quick, convenient and pleasant for everyone as the system does not require any coding knowledge or web design skills at all. Listed below are the most important Bookmark features:
- AIDA Assistant. The Artificial Intelligence Design Assistant (AIDA) is a real highlight of the website builder, which can create a stunning portfolio website in the automated mode for you. Just answer the questions AIDA generates to find out more about your project and watch the way your website is being created!
- Free Templates. Bookmark template collection is quite rich and you will certainly find a suitable theme for your portfolio website here. The designs are responsive and free and you can give them the desired appeal.
- Multilanguage Support. The system supports more than 50 languages, which lets you create different versions of your portfolio website to make it understandable for foreign customers.
- Mobile Apps. The website builder encompasses lots of mobile applications, which make it possible for you to effectively and quickly update your portfolio even on the go.
- eCommerce. If you wish to sell your creative works online, Bookmark lets you do that by using its eCommerce solution. It lets you gain full control over your project as well as the products you wish to offer to potential customers.
- Image Editing. The system comes with a pack of free stock images and videos you can pick and integrate into your portfolio website. Bookmark Photo Editor lets you crop, recize, edit the selected photos as well as modify and apply visual effects on them.
- Video Backgrounds. The system allows integrating video backgrounds to enhance your portfolio design and keep users engaged in further website browsing from the very first moments.
Bookmark is an advanced cloud website builder, which is powered by the Artificial Intelligence technique. AIDA tool makes the process of website creation simple, easy and entertaining, providing the unsurpassed result.
Free plan/trial: Yes.
Cost: from $11.99/mo.
Squarespace – Easy Platform for Portfolio Websites
Squarespace – is an easy-to-use platform to start and manage portfolio websites. The system allows presenting a wide range of creative services and works of art in the most favorable light, utilizing a broad selection of integrated tools and features. Some of the most remarkable and handy merits of the website builder are as follows:
- Selection of Portfolio Pages. Squarespace Style Editor allows choosing between several page types to be included into your portfolio, namely Cover Pages, Product Pages, Galleries, Blog Pages, Events Pages etc.
- Niche Widgets and Add-Ons. You can select and integrate specific add-ons and widgets to boost your portfolio performance, including those for photo and image galleries, social media buttons, integrated statistics collection tools, Contact Form Builder etc.
- Professional Portfolio Themes. The website builder has a separate section of professional portfolio templates that are 100% customizable and responsive.
- Cover Page Builder. The system lets you create an appealing cover page, selecting suitable blocks, colors, media files, images, posts and other content (all in all, there are 29 website layouts here).
- eCommerce Platform. Squarespace boasts one of the most powerful and feature-laden eCommerce platforms that makes it possible to start and manage quality portfolios with a strong eCommerce focus. This is a great idea, if you plan to sell your masterpieces or offer professional services directly at the website.
- Professional Show Window Design. The website builder does not only come with advanced integrated eCommerce functionality, but it also allows creating appealing show windows to present your creativity to the advantage and to drive user attention, thus, generating profit. This is where you can add and update products, assign their parameters, product variations (SKUs), create image galleries, upload videos, set up shipping and payment options, integrate loyalty programs and special offers etc.
- Social Integrations. Squarespace allows adding and updating your portfolio-related information in the social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Dropbox, Tumblr, Instagram, Dribbble, Linkedin, Pinterest, SoundCloud, Behance, Twitch, Yelp) to let your subscribers figure out recent news, updates, creative plans and upcoming events.
Squarespace is a nice web building alternative to Wix and uKit, but it’s is also more difficult to explore. The website builder covers a rich spectrum of portfolio web building needs and offers a nice selection of features to give your project appealing design and decent functionality.
Free plan/trial: 14-day free trial.
Cost: from $12/mo.
Portfoliobox – Best Portfolios for Creatives
Portfoliobox – is one of the best and the most full-featured platforms, which was created with portfolio development purposes in mind. This is the online portfolio website builder for creatives, who have an idea to start a functional project with a rich integrated feature set. Portfoliobox is a great pick for artists, photographers, designers, architects, models, musicians, hair and make up stylists etc.
The system allows effectively manage image galleries, add blogs, apply eCommerce and marketing tools to ensure the best user experience. The most outstanding features of the website builder are as follows:
- Easy Control – It is you, who are in charge of the web design process, being able to create/edit any content type without using any coding skills.
- Hosting and Domain Included – The website builder comes with integrated hosting and domain name to save your time and effort, when making your portfolio available on the web.
- Different Types of Pages – With Portfoliobox, you can create and manage any types of pages, including Blogs, Instagram Pages, Galleries, Videos, Multipages, Parallax Pages etc.
- eCommerce Option – The platform lets you sell your works of art by integrating and managing online stores.
- Mobile Optimization – Portfoliobox websites have built-in support for all types of desktop and mobile devices.
- Powerful Marketing Tools – The service features decent SEO optimization options, social media integration tools, statistics collection features etc.
- “Find Creatives” Integration – You can connect your Portfoliobox account with “Find Creatives” – a platform that lets you market your works and talent, connecting with clients from any location.
- Galleries. The website builder lets you create stunning and visually-impressive web pages and posts that come with amazing galleries that have responsive design and are clearly displayed on all mobile/desktop devices.
- Blogging. Portfoliobox makes it possible for your portfolio visitors to track your blogging activity and leave their comments, if needed. The integrated blogging engine lets you add appealing high-res images into each post to grow user engagement rate and encourage them for further participation.
Portfoliobox is a nice solution for those, who need a worthy portfolio website. Offering plenty of web design options, portfolio features, customization tools, marketing and promotion services, the website builder is certainly worth the attention.
Free plan/trial: Yes.
Cost: from $1.9/mo.
Gator – Hosting with Built-In Portfolio Builder
Gator – is a popular hosting that comes with the built-in portfolio builder. The system was created with the needs and web design skills of inexperienced users in mind. It is offered as a part of the HostGator hosting provider package, which eliminates the need to look for a third-party host elsewhere.
The website builder comes with a drag-and-drop editor, which is intuitive and completely understandable even to beginners. The feature set of the platform is as follows:
- Powerful Social Media Integration – Gator allows embedding content from well-known social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc.) into your website, granting access to social media buttons, live feeds and extensive image libraries.
- Customizable Templates – Gator provides a set of responsive customizable designs you can pick and modify for your portfolio website.
- App Market – The website builder boasts a stunning choice of free widgets, apps and add-ons for high-end on page website customization.
- eCommerce – Gator boasts a full-featured eCommerce engine, which lets you set up and manage a web store, selling your best works “here and now”. This is a surefire way to boost customer interest in your creative skills and encourage them to buy from you.
Gator is a simple yet effective website builder that can be a good choice for users willing to create and present their portfolios to the audience. Offered by the HostGator platform – integrated hosting provider – this drag-and-drop website builder delivers nice web design experience and makes it possible to create, customize and further update all types of portfolios.
Free plan/trial: No.
Cost: from $3.46/mo.
Allyou – Online Portfolio Website Builder
Allyou – is a specialized online portfolio website builder for creatives, who have a strong focus on the development of a feature-laden portfolio website yet don’t wish to struggle with complex web design nuances or just lack required coding skills to do that on their own. The system is easy-to-use and it doesn’t require any programming awareness or preliminary web design background to run and manage a portfolio with it. Let’s enlist its crucial advantages now:
- Portfolio Website Templates – Whether you need a simple photo gallery or a classy full-featured portfolio, you will certainly find a worthy template to come up to your needs.
- Retina Support – The system automatically identifies hi-res screens, which ensures that all your galleries and photos will have great look when watched on Retina devices.
- Mobile View – When creating your portfolio, you can select optimized fonts and make the required settings to provide the best mobile browsing experience for website visitors.
- Rich Choice of Free Fonts – Allyou partners with Typekit to provide users with an extensive selection of free fonts (there are more than 1000 of them here).
- Third-Party Integrations – To present your works to the advantage, you can embed content from third-party services like YouTube, Vimeo, Issuu, SoundCloud etc.
If you need a nice portfolio website, then you may consider using Allyou. This is a specialized niche service, which comes with portfolio-specific features that cover your web building needs and ensure worthy result.
Free plan/trial: 14-day free trial.
Cost: from $8/mo.
A website builder is a great solution, when it comes to portfolio creation. These services are simple and powerful at a time. This is what makes them a decent choice for users with diverse web design background and intentions. By using a quality website builder, you can reach several goals – get a portfolio of your works or services, present them to the target audience, market and sell the products etc.
It certainly takes time and effort to design a portfolio website, but if you are fortunate to select the right web building tool, this process won’t be a challenge for you.
Reviewed above are the best portfolio website builders, which are worth the attention of any creative, who intends to publish a portfolio of his/her works. Take your time to test each of these services to finally select the one, which fits your needs most of all.