There are several ways you can choose to launch a professional photography website. You can order it from a web studio or a freelance web designer. It’s also possible to build the one using the available CMS (Content Management System) that are so popular nowadays. The most affordable and reasonable option, though, is using a website builder.
Best Photography Website Builders Overview:
|Website Builder||Wix (see review)||uKit (see review)|
|Best for:||Photographer Portfolio||Photographer Promo Website|
|Easiness||Needs some time to cope with||Ideal for newbies|
|Photographer Templates:||Pre-designed templates for photographer’s portfolio||Responsive templates for photographer’s landing page|
|Technical Support:||Live support, forum answers||24/7 online support|
|Commerce Options||Full Featured e-shop||Smart and Easy Shopping Cart|
|SEO Options:||Dozens of SEO options||Full set of SEO|
|Pricing Options:||Free to $24.50/mo||$4 to $12/mo|
|Real Website Examples:||Wix Portfolio Examples||uKit Website Examples|
The global network has opened vast opportunities for the entrepreneurs, who aim at expanding and promoting their businesses by attracting the clients and business partners. Photographers are not an exception. It goes without saying that a quality photography website is a kind of a business card of a photographer.
Its major objective is demonstration of the talent, professional results, individual approach to the process of photo shooting and the representation of an author’s style. A well-structured and appealing digital photography portfolio can tell much more about the professionalism and talent of a person than thousands of words.
- A website can showcase your talent. It doesn’t matter what photos you focus on, launching a website of your own is the most effective way to showcase your talent. These websites usually have rich portfolios that can be updated any time you need. This is how users will be able to see your works all in one place.
- A website allows users reach you any time of the day. You may be too busy during a day to stay in the office or at home for the whole day. By providing your contact info at the website, you can be 100% sure that your existing and potential clients will be able to get in touch with you when needed.
- Client Recognition. Creatives having a website have more chances to win client trust and recognition as compared to those, who don’t have websites. The availability of a professionally-designed website persuades clients that you are serious about what you do.
- A website is a powerful information source, which contains the most important info about you and your creative life. This is the place, where you can tell people about yourself, your career advancement, news, plans, schedule and what not. Whatever information you have to share with your clients, you won’t find a better tool to do that than a quality website.
- Testimonials and Reviews. Make sure to leave some space at your website, where your clients will be able to share their impressions, comments, reviews, testimonials and ideas. Just make sure these comments are written by real clients.
Depending on how in-depth you plan to customize your website, you can choose between specialized, versatile and professional website builders.
Pros: Industry-specific web services are exclusively aimed toward photographers which means you’ll find many photo-specific features in them, including numerous image-centered templates; galleries; slideshows and more.
Cons: Usually, specialized site builders offer limited feature sets that don’t go beyond creating online photo galleries. In other words, if you decide to extend your website one day, this will be pretty difficult, as most site builders don’t open up the codes. You can only use the building blocks they provide.
Pros: Versatile site builders offer photo-specific features as part of their full arsenal which means you have to manually pick out the best solutions. The good news is that you can endlessly extend your portfolio as your business grows: you can add custom pages, create profiles for your customers, add custom forms, forum, blog and also integrate eCommerce.
Cons: Versatile site builders may lack those exclusive photo-focused features found in their specialized counterparts. Also, they may have a slight learning curve.
Pros: Professional website builders are meant for web professionals who know what it takes to build a website, but want to create websites without having to rely on expensive developers. These site builders provide a Photoshop-like control panel most designers are familiar with.
Cons: Such web services are a great destination for creating static websites, not dynamic web resources, as they simply lack interactive features. The good news is that you can export your website’s code once it is ready, modify and host it elsewhere.
Website builders for photographers are definitely worth trying here, since they feature the best price/quality correlation. The major advantages of website builders include:
- Ease of Use. If you are a newbie looking for the simplest web building solution, then you won’t find a better tool than a website builder. These services are intuitive and convenient. They don’t require any coding skills and expertise. Instead, they offer simple instructions, drag-and-drop options and other features that make the web building process simple, hassle-free and time-saving.
- Thematic Templates. Most website builders offer a broad range of thematic templates. There are even specialized portfolio website builders that come with a full set of features required for websites of this type. What’s important, the prevailing amount of templates are responsive, which make it possible to view your portfolio on the go on any mobile device.
- Affordability. Website builders are really cheap, but effective. In fact, they are, probably, the most affordable options among all the existing web building tools these days. The plans they offer are not expensive, but they come with a broad range of features you can make use of when building your portfolio website. Some website builders offer free trials to enable users test their features prior to upgrading to the paid plan. This is very convenient.
- SEO Benefits. Having created a website, you’ll need to promote it in order to generate traffic. This is impossible without specific skills and expertise. Website builders come with powerful SEO functionality required to give a website nice search engine ranking.
You can always select the one, which corresponds to your web design skills and individual preferences. We felt it necessary to put together our own list of website builders that we feel can help photographers and visual artists create unique websites designed around their works.
So, below is our short review of the most effective website builders for photography business that target both hobbyists and professionals.
Wix – The Best Website Builder for Photography Business
Wix is a great choice. This platform has more than 70M of users and the number of created photography websites amounts to thousands.
It offers some of the best photography templates out there. With the new Wix ADI interface you can create websites even without mouse clicking – just sit and watch how system is building your entire site.
There’s a free version and three paid plans ranging from $4.50/mo to $24.50/mo with an annual subscription. But note, that with a free version and with the cheapest paid package (‘Connect Domain‘) your website will be published with Wix ads. To make your website ad-free you should choose ‘Combo Plan‘ ($8.50/mo) or higher.
Take a look at our handpicked examples of Wix-powered websites or visit Wix official page to see what ready photography websites look like.
uKit – The Easiest Website Builder for Photographers
uKit has managed to gain the trust between photographers all over the world. It allows to create websites not only for photographers but for any type of small business. Even if you are a newbie in website building, with uKit you can create a really good-looking website in hours.
Its templates and functionality are geared towards creating memorable websites for photographers. All uKit-powered websites are responsive which is very important for better look in mobile devices.
uKit has no free plans, but you can try it free during a 14-day trial. After the trial ends, you may continue to edit and publish your website, but it appears with an ad-banner at the bottom. Subscriptions range from $5/mo (Premium Plan) to $15/mo (Pro Plan) billed monthly or $4-$12/mo billed annually.
The only difference between Premium and Pro plans is that with the Pro Plan you can edit HTML code of your website (useful tool for experienced users). But as to the photographer who wants to create own portfolio site, Premium Plan is good enough.
Note: With a promocode SWB-25 you can discount those prices up to 25% – this means that you could receive a full-stack website for $36/year. It’s the cheapest choice among all popular builders.
How to Create a Photography Website
By creating a photographer’s website, you will be able to offer your services to a vast circle of users, which is not limited to the residents of your city or region only. However, to be effective and make nice impression upon the potential clients, your website should be well-structured, featuring all the required elements, such as:
Gallery. You should publish the best samples of your works on the homepage, because they provide general impression about your talent and professionalism. Don’t post too many of them. 15-20 photos will be enough to reveal your expertise and skills. If you work in several directions, make sure you post photos that represent each of them.
About. This page should include basic info about your job experience, career, professional achievements etc. Don’t publish your full bio – your clients don’t need it to assess your skills.
Services. This web page should offer a detailed list of services you provide and links to the corresponding portfolio sections. You may also specify the terms of editing photos and various shooting nuances. Don’t mention the prices, but note that they are individually discussed with each client.
Blog. Those users, who are genuinely interested in photography, will appreciate an opportunity to browse through the informative niche-related articles. You will also benefit from adding a blog to your website, because it will contribute to better search engine promotion.
Contacts. This page is a must for a photography website. Clients, who wish to get in touch with you, should have your contact info at hand. The contact info may include your address and telephone number, a map, e-mail, feedback form, Skype etc.
A photography website is much more than just a resource used to establish online business presence. It’s like a visiting card that can help reveal the talent of a photographer by demonstrating his/her works in the most favorable light. The use of a website builder to create the resource will help you design a creative and unique website that will stand out from the crowd.
These online services make it possible to develop quality websites even to those creatives, who don’t have any coding skills at all. They offer customizable templates and visual editing options that allow making awesome photography websites from scratch without any waste of effort and time. Why don’t you make use of this option right away?
If you have a favorite photography site builder, just drop a line in the comments!