So, you’ve selected the optimal website builder and created a website for yourself or your business. It is uploaded and running smoothly. You’ve written a few excellent articles on a topic that you care about, but nothing happens. There are no visitors, no comments and no conversions. This is a fact of life – search engines won’t show interest in your website until you and your visitors do. So, the next step you have to take is gaining traffic to your freshly published website by improving your on-page SEO.
The content of a page is the first thing to pay attention to. The content is what makes your page worthy of a good position in Google search results. From an SEO standpoint, good content has two attributes: it should be linkable and supply demand.
The Internet is nothing but a heap of miscellaneous information. Similarly to the world’s markets, this information is ruled by supply and demand. The best content is that which supplies the largest demand, be it a video, an article, an infographics, an audio track or an image. However, even the greatest content that supplies the largest demand is worthless from an SEO perspective, if it is not linkable. Search engines are unlikely to rank the content that can’t be reproduced, shared or linked to (e.g. content available only after registration and logging in, AJAX-powered image slide shows, etc.).
Another important factor to consider is uniqueness. Unique content makes your pages worthwhile for Google to rank your website well.
A title tag is a piece of text that describes your page’s content. It is considered to be the second most important on-page SEO element, after content. Your page’s title tag appears in three key places: browsers, SERP and external websites (especially social media websites). When it comes to title tags, less is more 🙂 – try to fit it in 60 characters.
If you insert keywords into your title tag, search engines will highlight (bold) them if a user enters a search query using these keywords. This will make your particular website more visible and also improve your CTR (click-through rate).
Internal links are links that go from one page of a website to a different page of the same website. These are also of great importance, mainly because:
- They provide your visitors with better user experience in terms of navigation.
- They help establishing information hierarchy.
- They are instrumental in spreading ranking power (link juice).
Internal links are in the heart of SEO-friendly site architecture.
Meta descriptions provide search engines and your potential readers with brief explanations of your web pages’ contents. These tiny pieces of text are displayed in the form of preview snippets on SERP. Try to use your keywords intelligently when writing another description. The optimal description is 150-160 characters long, is easy-to-read, includes a keyword, summarizes the content of a given page and motivates users to read the whole piece.
A human-readable URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is also of great importance. When creating URLs bear in mind the following tips:
- Use hyphens to separate words. Usually, this is done automatically in WordPress and other content management systems. However, if you use a website builder you may need to enter your page’s URL manually.
- Make it short. The shorter the URL the more attention each word geta from a crawler. For this very reason, it is also advised to remove such words as ‘our, the, a, for’ from your URLs.
- Avoid parameters. If parameters need to be used, try to limit their number (1-2). But don’t get me wrong. Using parameters won’t affect your SEO efforts, but their absence will definitely give you a little bonus 🙂 – the visitors will be able to determine what is your page about simply be checking its URL. Thus, they will be more likely to click on your link.
Non-readable URLs are of very little value to search engines, and may also scare your potential visitors away. Compare these URLs:
Which one do you prefer?
On-Page SEO and Website Builders
Although there are many misconceptions about SEO power of online website builders, virtually all of the aforementioned on-page elements can be adjusted and improved with a few clicks. Just take a look at some of the SEO packs offered by different site constructors:
Wix Website Builder (Detailed Review)
Webydo Website Builder (Detailed Review)