A website of a non-profit organization is the top notch destination for all its members, who wish to be aware of all the events that take place in its work. This is also a valuable source of information for those users, who just plan to join the organization or are just looking for the related data.
It goes without saying that this kind of website should not be complicated at all, making it possible for everyone to easily browse it whenever required. It should ensure intuitive navigation to let even first-timers find the info they currently need without investing too much time and effort. Otherwise, you run a risk to lose your potential customers, who may give preference to your competitors in case they fail to find the info they need at your website.
The fact that most owners of non-profit organizations cannot boast great web design skills or experience triggers the need to look for simple yet reliable ways of website development. Hiring a web master or ordering a website from a web design studio won’t be a good solution as well just because this is quite a costly alternative. This is where the use of website builders will be appreciated a lot.
Website builders are initially meant for newbies and, thus, they come with helpful and detailed guidelines, recommendations and tips that notably simplify the web design process. You don’t have to possess coding skills or specific web design knowledge to master these systems to the advantage. Most of them offer rich template collections that are filled with content and are responsive right from the start. Finally, websites created with website builders are affordable and properly optimized for the search engines, which increases the chances of your organization to get higher positions in search engine results.
We Tested Out 9 Of The Best Non-Profit Website Builders:
- Wix – The Best FREE Website Builder for Nonprofits
- WordPress – CMS #1 for Any Non-profit Website
- uKit – Cheapest Small Business Website Builder
- SITE123 – Great Platform for DIY Website Creation
- 8b – Easy Site Builder for Nonprofit Organizations
- IM Creator – Free Website Builder for Nonprofits
- Squarespace – Charity Website Builder for Nonprofits
- Shopify – Ecommerce for Nonprofits and Charities
- Bluehost- The Best Web Hosting for Nonprofits
Are you interested to find out more about each of these systems to pick the one that will come up to the needs of your non-profit organization and web design requirements in general? Each of the website builders listed above is full-featured and worth the attention. Have a look at their reviews now to make the unbiased choice.
Wix – The Best FREE Website Builder for Nonprofits
Wix – is the all-in-one website builder used to create different website types, including those of non-profit organizations. The system covers a broad spectrum of web design needs and provides multiple features that are easy-to-explore and master. Have a look at the major benefits of the service now:
- Templates for Non-Profit Organizations. Wix has a collection of religion and non-profit templates you can choose from. Some of them include Food Charity, Kids Charity, Teen Volunteers, Non-Commercial Projects, Community etc. Many of them come with integrated “Donate Now” buttons and other features that are a must for these websites.
There is also a rich set of design customization tools to give your website desired look and functionality. Mind, however, that Wix does not allow changing the template on the go. If you decide to do that, you’ll have to resubmit the content.
- Membership. This is very convenient for organizations that develop and manage several projects and need to assign certain members to specific projects. With a membership feature, you can grant access to hidden website sections to those users, who have made donations and may be offered special rights.
- Forum. Wix allows adding a forum to your website, which is quite an extraordinary feature for these services. This is a real advantage for any non-profit organization website as it makes it possible to get in touch with users, encouraging them for participation. You can create any topics and branches in a forum to find out the ideas of other members and let them share their opinions with other users.
- Blogging. This is a surefire way to keep users informed about the recent news and events happening in your organization as well as about other related info. You can write and publish posts concerning the mission and statement of your non-profit organization, share your objectives and provide arguments to persuade readers to join your organization.
- Multilingual Website. As an owner of a non-profit organization, you may be interested in creating several language versions of your website. This is how you can encourage foreign investors to make donations and support your organization in different ways. This is also a nice way to attract more users, who share your objective and wish to join the organization.
Cost: Wix has a free never-ending plan you can use to build a website for your non-profit organization. This is a nice option to test the features website builder, but if you intend to run and manage an effective website, then you’ll face certain restrictions standard for a free plan (Wix ad, disk storage and bandwidth limitations etc.). What’s more, free Wix websites come with subdomains. If you intend to start a project for a serious non-profit organization, this won’t give credibility to your website.
Obviously, it makes sense to upgrade to one of the paid Wix subscription to gain user loyalty and boost your website trust rate. With this purpose, the website builder offers two large groups of plans – Standard and Business/eCommerce, which are also divided into more detailed subscriptions to extend user choice. The cost of Standard Plans starts with $13/mo and goes up to $39/mo, while that of Business Plans constitutes $23/mo and more. All the plans offer free hosting and domain connection, Premium Customer Support, integrated Google analytics, storage space and other privileges.
WordPress – CMS #1 for Any Non-Profit Website
WordPress – is a trusted Content Management System that does not require any presentation – so popular and functional it is. The service is somewhat more complicated than standard website builders as it implies the awareness of programming knowledge to get the most out of the web development process. When using the platform, you won’t go without the necessity to integrate plugins that will enhance the performance of your non-profit website. You’ll also need to possess coding skills to manage and update a website after it is published. Have a look at the major WordPress highlights now:
- Responsive Niche Templates. The system has a collection of built-in templates, but you can also find dozens of quality responsive templates designed for non-profit organizations on the web. These themes are both free and paid – it’s up to you to decide on the best option.
- WP Plugins for Nonprofits. There are multiple WP plugins that are specially designed for the development of non-profit organizations. You can also browse free and paid options online. Among the most popular plugins of this type, it makes sense to mention Give, WPForms, Optinmonster, Yoast SEO, Google Analytics by Yoast, Sucuri Free Scanner, Testimonials Widget, Backup Buddy, TablePress, Forget About Shortcode Buttons, Simple Calendar, Floating Social Bar, Revive Old Post, MapPress Easy Google Maps, Polylang and more.
- User Interaction Plugins. As the head of a non-profit organization, you have the urgent need to stay in touch with your website members. For this very purpose, WordPress offers a collection of specialized user interaction plugins. These include Client Portal Plugin, Quick and Easy FAQ, Easy Social Share Buttons, Request Callback Plugin, WP Customer Area and WP Notification Bar Pro to mention a few.
Cost: WordPress is free. This is true for all user categories. In other words, you can download, install and use the system for free until you decide to create a full-featured website. This might require additional financial investments into plugins and even templates. To make your ready-made website accessible online, you’ll have to additionally purchase hosting and domain name.
The cost of hosting mainly depends upon the provider and the plan you will select. When working with WordPress, it is recommended to use Bluehost – the official hosting provider of the service. The plans it offers are packed with features and they are available at reasonable cost. Thus, the cheapest Bluehost subscription will cost you $2.95/mo only.
uKit – Cheapest Small Business Website Builder
uKit – is a website builder, which has gained worldwide popularity for its strong focus on the development of small business projects. Its ease-of-use, convenience and affordability has made it one of the best solutions for users, willing to run and manage different types of websites. Non-profit organizations are not an exception. Listed below are the benefits you will avail when using this website builder:
- Simple and Intuitive Interface. uKit can boast one of the simplest and the most intuitive interfaces ever. Whatever web design skills and experience you have, you will easily get used to it and explore the basic elements and features it offers. It’s very convenient, easy-to-navigate, modern, exciting and understandable for everyone. What’s more, such interface simplicity eliminates the necessity to hire a web designer. You can do everything yourself, so, why waste the money you can invest into your organization development?
- Responsive Templates. Responsive templates automatically adapt to any screen sizes and resolutions of different mobile devices. This allows users to visit your website whenever they need and wherever they are. With uKit, you can experiment with different templates included into the collection of the website builder. uKit allows changing the themes on the go, thus choosing the one that comes up to your needs and preferences most of all without the risk to lose your content. uKit has a rich collection of thematic templates, which are geared towards the needs of different user categories.
- Variety of Widgets. Some of the widgets that may be a nice addition to a website of a non-profit organization are Social Networking Buttons, LiveChat, CallBack, User Comments, Google maps, email forms etc. Any of them can help you fulfill a certain task like offering real-time help to people, who are in need (via the CallBack option or a LiveChat, for example). Due to the Google maps widget, investors and people, who wish to visit your organization, will be able to find it much quicker.
- Secured Website. SSL certification will make it possible to accept money donations without any risks. It is possible to connect a SSL certificate absolutely for free.
Cost: uKit doesn’t have a free plan, but it still makes it possible to choose and test any of the paid plans for free for 14 days. This is more than enough to decide what plan exactly works best for your website. If you intend to launch a simple website of a non-profit organization, then the Minimal Plan ($4/mo) will work well for this purpose.
SITE123 – Great Platform for DIY Website Creation
Site123 – is one of the simplest cloud website builders, which can be used to start almost all types of websites, including those of non-profit organizations. The system ensures easy navigation and intuitive web development process. This is what makes SITE123 a worthy choice not only for web design pros, but also for inexperienced owners of non-profit organizations, who can use its multiple merits to start and manage quality projects. To find out what exactly the website builder can offer you, have a look at its advantages now:
- Logo Maker – A website of your non-profit organization has to look trusted and reputable to driver user attention. This is where professional Logo Maker tool offered by SITE123 will be of great help. It lets you design your website logo, using a set of integrated tools like cropping, logo size slider, header adjustment and many more.
- Form Builder – The system lets you integrate quality online forms into your non-profit website. This allows creating convenient contact pages, online inquiries, reviews, polls and other related elements.
- Blogging – SITE123 has a functional blogging engine that lets you create a blog and integrate it into your non-profit website. This is helpful when it comes to customer engagement, user generation and increase of interaction between registered website members.
- Multilingual Support – The website builder offers multilingual support that allows creating several language versions of your non-profit website. The tool will come in handy to those website owners, who plan to interact with users from abroad or look for donation opportunities there.
- Website Access Rights – SITE123 makes it possible to set website access rights based on the needs and requirements of website owners. The feature is important, if you intend to manage and update your non-profit project with other users responsible for it.
- Free SSL Connection – If you plan to accept donations, connecting SSL Certificate to your website is a must. SITE123 allows doing that for free to boost your project safety and confidentiality of payments/data.
- User Interaction Tools – The website builder grants access to the list of user interaction tools that can contribute to the functionality of your non-profit website.
- App Market – The system makes it possible to choose from lots of widgets/add-ons available in its integrated App Market. You can pick those apps that comply with the specialization and functionality of your project. Some of them include Live Support Chat, Analytics Tools, Galleries, Social, Popular, Forms, Booking widgets and many more.
- Social Media Integration – The feature lets you effectively grow your website reputation and popularity in the social networks, letting you share the news, updates and upcoming events of your non-profit organization with your subscribers.
Cost: SITE123 has a free plan, which lets you find out the major features of the system. However, this option won’t work for you at all because of the subdomain connection and other functionality restrictions. As to the paid subscriptions, you may choose from four plans. Their cost ranged between $10.80 and $28.80 per month.
8b – Easy Site Builder for Nonprofit Organizations
8b – is a new DIY website builder, which is characterized by stunning simplicity and intuitive web design approach. The system is a nice pick for non-experienced owners of non-profit organizations, who have little or no knowledge at all about the process of website creation. No coding or web design expertise are needed to start websites with the system – so understandable, intuitive yet feature-laden it is. If you are right about to use this website builder for your non-profit website, mind the feature set it provides:
- Multilingual Support – 8b lets you create a website of your non-profit organization in more than one language – this depends upon your needs and web design objectives. There is no necessity to create several websites available in different languages – 8b will save your effort and time, letting you start a multilingual project.
- Google AMP Feature – A powerful Google Accelerated Mobile Pages feature will let you enhance the mobile browsing experience of website visitors as well as general web page load time.
- Website Export – If you plan to manually update your non-profit website on a regular basis, this feature will come in handy to you as well. It lets you download the existing website files in the ZIP format to further edit them and host the project with any provider of your choice.
- PWA Feature – Websites of non-profit organizations frequently enjoy user popularity, which triggers the need to create their applications for the increased user convenience. Progressive Web Applications support feature allows turning your project into a desktop or mobile app in a couple of minutes, thus increasing its popularity.
Cost: 8b is a free website builder. You can start a non-profit website with it to manage it as you need during the unlimited time period. This, however, is not the best solution for such serious projects as a free subscription comes with multiple limitations, preventing you from getting the most out of its functionality. To get access to the advanced feature set of the website builder, the system offers an upgrade option – a Start plan, the cost of which is $1.58/mo. That’s a perfect solution for the owners of non-profit websites, looking for worthy web presentation and performance of their projects. What’s more, you have 14 days to cancel the paid subscription without any financial loss, if there is something you are not satisfied with.
IM Creator – Free Website Builder for Nonprofits
IM Creator – is a professional cloud website builder, which stands out from the crowd due to its design customization freedom, advanced functionality and abundance of features that let you design functional and visually-appealing projects. The website builder does not imply any programming proficiency, offering multiple advantages instead. Here is the list of features that let you get the most out of your website design process:
- Blogging – IM Creator allows connecting a blog to any website of non-profit organization. This is handy, if you plan to encourage user communication, upload and updated new posts to stay in touch with your website members.
- Responsive Design – The website builder lets you choose from dozens of templates to pick the one that will perfectly come up to your web development needs. All the designs are responsive by default and there is an opportunity of HTML integration to give your website unique personalized look.
- Free Image Integration – The system grants access to the free gallery of images and web design resources you can integrate into your non-profit website based on the niche it covers. The search filter option will help simplify your choice and save your time.
Cost: One of the undeniable highlights of the website builder is its pricing policy. IM Creator is absolutely free for nonprofits, letting them design and customize the projects, using all the features of the system. The free plan provides unlimited hosting and bandwidth, domain connection option, template accessibility, eCommerce platform, absence of ad banners and other merits. Paid options are also available here for entrepreneurs ($8/mo) and White Label users.
Squarespace – Charity Website Builder for Nonprofits
Squarespace – is one of the most popular, feature-laden and recognizable website builders in the modern web development niche. The system positions itself as the all-in-one web building tool that works great for all types of projects, including non-profit websites. The website builder offers extensive feature set, intuitive web design approach and responsive layouts to get professional website with high end performance. Let’s enlist its advantages for non-profits right away:
- Page Styles – The advanced Squarespace Style Editor offers multiple design editing options as well as a rich selection of page style to choose for your noin-profit website. These include cover pages, product and blog pages, galleries, event and index pages to mention a few. Just pick those you need for your project and integrate them with a few clicks only.
- Widget Integration – The website builder lets you choose from a wide array of add-ons and widgets to be integrated into your website. Thus, you can pick widgets for photo and video galleries, social media buttons for better content promotion, eCommerce and Analytic tools, contact forms etc.
- Blogging – You can add a blog to your charity website due to the powerful blogging engine Squarespace offers. Apart from adding and scheduling posts, it’s also possible to enable user comments, add geolocation tags, add RSS feed, set up reblogging option etc.
- Social Integration – Squarespace allows for social media integration, letting you share your website content via popular social networks. Your website visitors will also be able to share their content with co-thinkers there.
- Google Maps Embedding – The website builder makes it possible to embed Google Maps into your non-profit website to indicate the exact location of your organization. This is also the section, where you’ll be able to provide your contact details, integrate feedback form, about us info and other related data.
- Online Calendar – With Squarespace, you can integrate the online calendar into your website to notify the members of your organization as well as other visitors about the upcoming events, news, special offers, dates etc. Sharing these data across social media profiles is also possible here.
- SSL Certificate – In case you plan to accept donations via your website, connecting the SSL Certificate will be a must to protect your users’ data and confidential information. Squarespace allows for SSL integration to enhance your website security.
- Logo Maker – Creating a logo for your non-profit website is desirable (if you don’t have the one yet), if you wish to boost its reputability rate and recognition. Squarespace lets you do that in a matter of minutes via the use of its integrated Logo Maker tool.
- Unfold Tool – If you plan to share your website info in the social networks, you’ll definitely appreciate the availability of the Unfold app. This is the storytelling toolkit, which lets you create and publish stories in the social networks to keep users interested in your organization and its updates.
- Acuity Scheduling – Integration of Squarespace with Acuity Scheduling platform has made it possible to make and manage online appointments on time. This is how you can effectively simplify the cooperation with the members of your organization.
- Commenting System – The website builder offers a fully-integrated commenting system, which supports threaded comments with individual like counts. Moderation option is also enabled here to prevent spamming.
Cost: Squarespace has a 14-day trial to let users test its feature set prior to subscribing for one of its paid plans. The latter include four subscriptions types, the cost of which starts with $12/mo and goes up to $40/mo. All plans include free hosting and domain, which is another advantage for non-profit websites.
Shopify – eCommerce for Nonprofits and Charities
Shopify – is the world-known eCommerce software that has distinguished itself due to the powerful feature set and abundance of tools needed to set up an eCommerce project for charity and non-profit organizations. The platform has distinguished itself due to its extensive marketing, web store management and promotion features. Some of them are listed below:
- Synchronization Options – The software makes it possible to synchronize your account with other popular external services and marketplaces. This is how you can boost the performance of your non-profit website granted that you plan to engage into eCommerce niche.
- Product Management – Shopify lets you add and manage long product lists along with their descriptions, parameters, show window display features, advanced CSV import/export options etc.
- SSL Certification and Fraud Protect Feature – Connection of SSL Certificate lets you protect your website data from unauthorized access. This, correspondingly, ensures enhanced security and confidentiality of information it contains. The same is about Fraud Protect feature that contributes to the safety of your online payments.
- Multilingual Support – Availability of your website in several languages will boost user interest, letting you get in touch with international consumers.
- Augmented Reality – Shopify AR lets you make the process of user interaction and product presentation more engaging and fun. The feature allows displaying products in the 3D mode so that users could see all their characteristics in details for better and more convenient browsing experience.
- POS Software – This is another highlight of the platform, which makes it possible not only to make sales online, but also to offer items for sale in the local storefront.
Cost: Shopify pricing policy is moderate, which is explained by its feature set. The cheapest subscription will cost you $9/mo, while the price of the most expensive plan constitutes $299/mo. The final cost depends upon the type of plan and the range of features/terms included. The software allows testing the preferred subscription during the 14-day trial the system offers.
Bluehost – The Best Web Hosting for Nonprofits
Bluehost – is a reliable and powerful hosting provider, which is a great pick for non-profit websites. This is currently one of the niche leaders, which is also officially recommended by WordPress CMS as the top hosting companies in the world. This is no wonder as Bluehost comes with features and high end tool that ensure safe and reliable hosting of your project. Here are some of them you might be interested in:
- Fast Page Load Speed and High Uptime Rates – These parameters will ensure worthy performance and quick loading of your non-profit website, irrespective of the amount of traffic directed to it.
- Flexibility and Safety – Bluehost integrates with multiple external services, add-ons and applications that contribute to your project performance and security. Its advanced safety tools like Spam Hammer or Spam Expert along with its hotlink protection option ensure ultimate safety of all websites hosted with the platform.
- Extensive Marketplace – The system grants access to myriads of add-ons, scripts and applications used to customize your website. You can make use of numerous WordPress themes, image galleries, marketing and eCommerce tools etc.
Cost: Bluehost is one of the most affordable housing solutions. To be precise, you can get the cheapest plan for $39.5/mo only, getting access to free SSL and WordPress updates, unlimited bandwidth and other advantages.
A non-profit organization is unthinkable without a website that will spread the ideas, popularize its mission and encourage users to join it. It will keep your community members informed about everything you’d like them to know. There are different web building tools you can use to launch a website of your own.
Picking the best website builder for a website of a non-profit organization should not be a challenge for ordinary users. Website builders work great when it comes to the development of these projects. Their features, characteristics and pricing policy ensure the unsurpassed web building experience, allowing to reach the desired result. Just make sure you are aware of all the characteristics of these systems to be able to select the service you’ll be satisfied with in the long run.