Not sure what website builder will work best for your web design needs? Looking for a platform that will feature the best price/quality correlation?
Then it’s high time to review the most popular website builders, which have not only won worldwide popularity, but also were rightfully recognized the most impressive services.
Website builders have gained user recognition for several reasons. Most of them are specially created with the needs and skills of beginners in mind. As a result, they ensure simple, convenient and intuitive web building experience. These services are also affordable, while the range of features they encompass are more than enough to launch a decent website in no time.
We Tested Out 10 Of The Most Popular Website Builders:
- WordPress – Most Used CMS in The World
- Wix – The Most Popular Website Builder
- Squarespace – All-in-one Website Builder
- Shopify – The Best Ecommerce Platform
- GoDaddy Website Builder – Easy Website Builder with Hosting
- Weebly – Common Website Builder by Square, Inc
- Jimdo – Popular Website Builder with AI Technology
- Webflow – Professional Website Builder for Web Design Pros
- SITE123 – Easy Website Builder for Beginners
- uKit – Simple Small Business Website Builder
Each of these website builders has much to offer to the target audience and each of them comes with a certain range of features, which make it possible to complete the required set of tasks. Which of them will work best for your website development project and what exactly do they have to offer? It’s time to find that out right now.
WordPress – Most Used CMS in the World
WordPress – is the most used Content Management System in the world, which can be applied to start and customize all types of simple-to-complex projects. No matter what web design experience you have, you’ve definitely heard about the platform due to its impressive design customization options, versatility of plugins and powerful integration features. The system has been around for over a dozen of years, having improved its functionality and flexibility of settings provided. It’s time to enlist the major advantages of the CMS right away:
- Blogging Engine. WordPress was initially created as a blogging platform and, thus, it offers an extensive range of features and tools that make it possible to set up and customize full-featured blogs. This, however, does not mean that you won’t be able to start other types of projects with the platform. The system does not imply deep web design or coding awareness. Mind, though, that the knowledge of programming basics will definitely be a bonus, when working with the service.
- Plugin and Template Integration. No matter what type of website you plan to launch, you won’t go without plugin/template integration, if you wish it to be a success. There are multiple WordPress plugins and themes you can find on the web, which are both free and paid. Mind that free plugins/designs are not altogether safe and reliable as they may encompass malware that may eventually put your website safety and performance at risk.
- Gutenberg Editor. WordPress has revolutionized its approach towards website development via the introduction of Gutenberg Editor. It has simplified the web design process, eliminating the need for code editing. What you need to do is to browse the collection of content blocks to further customize and set them up, while creating website layout.
- Hosting Provider. WordPress does not have its own hosting, which triggers the need to look for the best provider on the web. However, the CMS recommends giving preference to Bluehost as this is one of the most trusted and full-featured systems available in the market.
Cost: WordPress is initially free for everyone. You can download and install it at no cost at all and it’s even possible to create free websites with the system. However, if you expect deeper functionality of your WordPress projects, you won’t go without investing in plugin/template integration. Additionally, you’ll have to take care of hosting and domain choice.
As mentioned above, the best hosting provider for WordPress and the one it officially recommends is Bluehost. The service offers free domain name for the first year of use, free SSL Certificate, 24/7 customer support, 1-click WordPress installation, lots of special offers and loyalty bonuses. Bluehost is also known for its eCommerce focus, extensive plugin marketplace, add-ons, scripts, fast page load speed, strong uptime rates and numerous integrable apps. The cost of Bluehost subscriptions starts with $2.95/mo only – that’s definitely a worthy offer!
Wix – The Most Popular Website Builder
Wix – is the most popular cloud-based website builder, which is headquartered in Tel Aviv (Israel). Founded in 2006, the service has quickly developed into a powerful system that currently empowers millions of websites around the globe. The system delivers a broad range of high end features and design customization tools that make it possible to start and manage different types of projects, irrespective of their complexity level. Have a look at the most distinctive and popular of them now:
- Designer-Made Templates. Wix stands out from the crowd due to its extensive selection of mobile-ready customizable themes. Current template collection encompasses more than 550 designs, all of which feature high quality (see real Wix examples).
- Standard and Mobile Editors. The website builder offers two popular editing options – standard WYSIWYG website editor and mobile editor. While using the standard mode, you can customize your desktop website design with regard to your needs. The edits you make are automatically displayed in the mobile version, while those you make in the mobile mode are not displayed in the desktop version.
- Wix ADI. Artificial Design Intelligence tool provides a user with a personal design assistant, which automatically creates website design and layout, filling it with content submitted by a user. It is further possible to edit a website to give it the preferred design and features, but having a quality draft is certainly a notable advantage.
- App Market. Wix App Market comes with multiple widgets and applications you can integrate into a website to get the most out of its functionality. The apps are paid and free and they are also subdivided into categories based on their implication. The search filter option allows for the ease and convenience of search, thus saving user effort and time.
- eCommerce and Blogging. Wix comes with quite powerful and flexible eCommerce and blogging engines, which let users start and effectively manage small-to-mid online stores and blogs. Both platforms encompass a broad range of design customization tools and options required both for website development and further online promotion.
Cost: Wix pricing policy is also worth the attention. The website builder has a completely free plan that lets you test and explore the system in details prior to upgrading to one of its paid plans. As soon as you decide to opt for the advanced subscription, you’ll be able to choose from two types of Wix subscriptions – Standard and Business/eCommerce. The cost of Standard plans starts with $13/mo, while that of Business plans starts with $23/mo.
Squarespace – All-In-One Website Builder
Squarespace – is one of the most popular and recognizable DIY all-in-one website builders, which is mainly geared towards the needs of creatives and entrepreneurs. The system makes it possible to launch different types of projects, but it especially works great for portfolios, blogs and small digital web stores. What’s important, all websites built with Squarespace have appealing designs and noteworthy functionality, even though, the system is not quite easy to master for beginners. Have a look at some of the most remarkable Squarespace features now:
- WYSIWYG Editor. As a WYSIWYG website builder, Squarespace lets you control the entire process of website development. However, you should mind that all the edits you make are saved automatically, which makes the preview option unavailable. This means that you won’t see the final result until a website is published. Correspondingly, your website visitors will see it along with the bugs and errors you can accidentally make.
- Responsive Templates. Squarespace templates are fully responsive and feature high quality, even though, the designs collection is not that extensive as compared to other popular services. The website builder comes with a convenient drag-and-drop editor that lets you pick and arrange the required website elements with ease. The platform offers professional templates that are great when it comes to the development of digital web stores, portfolios, blogs, cafe and restaurant websites, wedding sites and other suchlike projects. take a look at these best Squarespace-powered websites.
- Portfolio Design Focus. Squarespace has a distinctive and rich feature set, which covers the prevailing amount of users’ portfolio creation needs. The system comes with a Cover Page Builder, HTML/CSS editing options, Checkout Page Editor for Digital Stores, Logo & Title editing tool. It also offers an advanced Style Editor, which lets you pick various page styles to come up to your needs (these include cover pages, galleries, blog pages, index pages, blog and event pages and what not). As soon as you select the required page type, the rest of pages will automatically adjust to it.
- eCommerce. The website builder makes it possible to launch and manage small-to-mid online stores, the functionality of which will depend upon the plan selected. The eCommerce feature comes with a free SSL Certificate, integrated shopping cart, appealing product display options, video embedding feature, detailed product presentation and description. You can also add versatile product variations, initiate loyalty programs as well as adjust pricing and shipping options based on your needs.
- Blogging. With Squarespace, you can start and manage your own blog to boost user engagement and satisfaction rates. What you can do here is publishing and updating posts, enabling comments and RSS feeds, adding geolocation tags, using iTunes tagging, reblogging option and more.
Cost: Squarespace is a trusted cloud website builder, which works great for the creation of portfolios, small and mid-sized eCommerce websites as well as business projects. The website builder doesn’t offer any free plans yet it allows testing the system’s functionality during the 14-day free trial. The cost of the paid subscription starts with $12/mo, which is a pretty good option for each user interested in further system application.
Shopify – The Best eCommerce Platform
Shopify – is the best world-renowned eCommerce website builder, which comes with a powerful feature set and collection of tools that ensure worthy result. Shopify is a Canada-based eCommerce platform, which is headquartered in Ottawa, ON, Canada. It was founded in 2004 and has grown into the world’s most powerful online store website builder. Being an eCommerce platform, Shopify enjoys popularity with users, who prefer shopping online. It’s no wonder as the system makes it possible to create, customize and promote all types of online stores (see examples), ranging from small ones and up to hypermarkets. Here are the main features of the software:
- Point of Sale (POS) Software. Shopify has the POS feature, which makes it possible to sell products in the physical location, accepting credit cards and using the system’s inventory, marketing, shipping and management tools.
- Product Management Features. The platform allows integrating a shopping cart and a “Buy” button into your online store to let customers create the required number of product cards. The software will correspondingly generate product embed codes in the automated mode to enable users add products lists/galleries to their projects. What’s mire, the system comes with CSV file import/export feature, which ensures more convenient product management process.
- Advanced Marketing Options. When it tackles the web store promotion process, Shopify comes with multiple advanced marketing tools and features that make it possible to avail the high end result. Among the advantages you can make use of here, it initially makes sense to mention an opportunity to create online receipts, explore and analyze web store stats, control the balance of your eCommerce account and use a list of powerful Shopify features like App Store, BOGO discounts, Shopify Ping, Shopify Tap & Chip Reader and many more.
- Powerful Integration Opportunities. With Shopify, you can make use of a set of powerful integration features. Thus, you can successfully integrate your Shopify account with world-known marketplaces and accounting software, such as Amazon, Quickbooks, Xero etc. This lets you sell physical/digital products on these platforms, making use of multichannel support.
- Augmented Reality. This advanced feature will definitely be of great help, when it comes to boosting the efficacy of product promotion and sales growth. Due to the Augmented Reality, you will be able to present the products available in stock in 3D mode so that your potential customers could see their advantages in details.
Cost: Shopify pricing policy is moderate yet it definitely complies with user expectations. The range of features the software offers is more than enough to run all types of eCommerce projects – from small ones and up to complicated. There is a free 14-day trial, during which you can test one of Shopify subscriptions in details. The cheapest plan you can upgrade to costs $9/mo, which is quite a reasonable and affordable solution.
GoDaddy Website Builder – Easy Website Builder with Hosting
GoDaddy – is an easy website builder with hosting, which has gained worldwide popularity due to its impressive domain name and hosting features. The website builder itself is not quite powerful and it currently works well for simple promo websites that cannot offer deep functionality. If you are interested in the website builder and services it offers, consider its major highlights listed below:
- Hosting and Domain Name Provider. GoDaddy is currently one of the most popular and powerful hosting/domain name providers in the world. It currently hosts millions of projects and this number keeps increasing with every passing month. Thus, GoDaddy website builder can be recommended for application only if you need a simple website or have a domain name registered with the platform.
- Blogging and eCommerce. The website builder makes it possible to start simple blogs and web stores due to its basic integrated blogging (BYOB – Bring Your Own Blog feature) and eCommerce engines. The process of website development is easy, convenient and intuitive which matters a lot for beginners with little or no coding proficiency.
- High End Website Management Options. The system allows for effective website management, which lets you control the process of project creation and further promotion. It makes it possible to integrate contact forms, promo banners, CTA buttons, Single Image Library and other elements that are a must-have for a quality website.
- Social Media Integration. With GoDaddy, you can pick and integrate social media accounts into any project you work on. Thus, you can link Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other feeds to let users find out more about your business and subscribe to recent news and updates.
- GoDaddy Website+Marketing. The website builder has recently introduced an advanced GoDaddy Website+Marketing feature. It lets you effectively promote your website, using a bunch of tools and features available in the single Website+Marketing dashboard.
Cost: GoDaddy website builder offers moderate pricing policy. There is a 30-day trial here, upon the end of which you’ll have to pick a premium plan to comply with your needs. There are 4 subscriptions here, the cost of which starts from $12.95/mo.
Weebly – Common Website Builder by Square, Inc.
Weebly – is a credible website builder, which is used to develop and customize appealing and full-featured websites. The website builder was launched in 2006 and has gained popularity with over 50 millions of users across the globe.
As of today, the website builder is mainly chosen by users, who intend to create small-to-large online stores, but it can still be used to launch other types of projects for personal and business application (see real Weebly websites). Apart from stunning eCommerce feature set, Weebly is also known for its extensive blogging, image editing and integration capabilities. If you are interested in working with Weebly, have a look at its outstanding features now:
- Extensive Integration Options. Weebly comes with lots of integratable widgets and apps you can choose for your projects. These include media files, maps, slideshows, image collections, search boxes and what not. The “Embed Code” feature, in its turn, lets you add the required amount of elements to your page to give it unique design. The website builder additionally delivers a set of advanced features that make it stand out from the crowd.
- eCommerce. As mentioned above, Weebly now has the top notch eCommerce focus. The website builder encompasses multiple business-targeting features, which have strong impact upon your web store performance. Thus, it comes with integrated shopping cart, safe payment and shipping options, extensive product management tools, convenient and helpful search filter option, exclusive offers and customer support assistance, CSV product import/export, handy mobile apps and what not.
- Blogging. Weebly allows connecting and managing a full-featured blog to your project in almost no time. What you can do to start your blog is adding, updating and scheduling posts, assigning social media sharing options for each and every post, selecting a preferable commenting system, customizing footers and headers for each post added, selecting meta tags for articles and what not. The system also offers a set of blog templates that are free and customizable as well.
- Weebly Promote Tool. The tool has been introduced not long ago, but it unveils multiple email marketing options for the system users. It comes with a set of ready made designs for different email types (promo newsletters, bulletins, event and product presentation etc.) and automatically creates messages with regard to user activity. Email marketing campaigns organized and hold with the tool are effective and professional. Weebly Promote also offers a handy email drag-and-drop constructor, numerous tech support tools, contact segmentation options and more.
Cost: Weebly also stands out from the crowd due to its versatile yet affordable pricing policy. The website builder offers several types of subscriptions, including a free never-expiring plan that lets you test the entire feature set of the system to the advantage. The cost of the paid plans starts with $4/mo and grows with regard to the features/terms included into paid subscriptions.
Jimdo – Popular Website Builder with AI Technology
Jimdo – is one of the most popular AI website builders, which encompasses ease-of-use, convenience, intuitive web design approach, affordability and functionality. The system uses the power of Artificial Intelligence to create different types of one-of-a-kind web projects. The platform works equally great for newbies and web design experts, who don’t plan to invest much effort, time and skills into website development yet expect to avail worthy result to comply with their web development needs (see the best Jimdo sites). To figure out what exactly Jimdo has to offer, have a look at its major highlights now:
- Jimdo AI. Jimdo comes with the advanced AI tool, which helps you launch a website in the automated mode by using the submitted content. This notably simplifies the web design process, letting you get a quality ready-made project in less than a few minutes. Website customization is also simple and hassle-free with Dolphin, which means that even a non-techie will cope with the task in the best way possible.
- Blogging and eCommerce. The website builder comes with powerful integrated blogging and eCommerce engines that let you start and manage quality blogs and web stores in almost no time and with minimum time/effort/knowledge investment.
- Multilingual Support. Classic interface of the website builder currently supports 8 languages. The system editor, in its turn, is available in any language you need, thus making it possible to create multilingual projects of diverse niche specialization.
- Integrations. The system doesn’t have an built-in app store yet it allows integrating popular third-party services. These include Tidio Live Chat, Eventbrite Ticketing, social media platforms, YouTube Video, Infogr.am infographics and many more.
- Business Listing Feature. The system now makes it possible to automatically enlist your company with the most popular web listing platforms. These include Google My Business, Foursquare, Bing, Google Maps, Facebook and many more. The feature is available for Grow and Unlimited Plan subscribers.
Cost: Jimdo offers a free plan to let you test the integrated functionality of the service. As far as the plan comes with certain limitations, it doesn’t allow starting a feature-laden project. To do this, you’ll need to upgrade to one of the premium subscriptions, the cost of which starts from $7.50/mo.
Webflow – Professional Website Builder for Web Design Pros
Webflow – is a professional website builder for web design pros, which comes with powerful integrated functionality and lets you start complex projects to fit various niches. The system initially deserves the attention of users, who are aware of programming basics and have enough web design expertise to cope with complex web design approach Webflow offers. To some extent, the website builder is similar to modern CMS in terms of integrated functionality and, thus, it’s not that easy to master it. To make sure the system comes up to your web design needs, go ahead to explore its major features now:
- Advanced Template Editor. The website builder comes with a complex template editor that lets you start and manage any kind of project (see the proofs). Its structure and dashboard are not similar to those available in standard website builders as the editor encompasses the major features of basic visual editors and has a general settings area, multiple integrable modules, folders, widgets and other handy elements. What’s more, it is possible to use the template mode switch options along with a powerful image library here. Finally, you can pick to work in one of two modes here – either Designer or Editor.
- Dynamic Versatile Content. Webflow allows creating and integrating unique dynamic content, using the structures available in multiple field combinations. This lets you start, customize and manage blogs, forums, feature-laden business sections, image/video galleries, web forms, presentations and other popular content sections. To simplify the process, the system offers a set of pre-designed themes suitable for customization along with Lottie/After Effects /Lightbox Gallery integration.
- High End Design Customization. The website builder abounds in powerful design customization options and tools that do not imply coding proficiency. The system provides advanced styles and classes management options, which allows creating high end ID templates and elements. To be able to cope with the task, you need to be able to edit the required CSS features in the graphic interface of the system. These include colours, layers, spacing, sizes, alignment and more.
Cost: The website builder is not a cheap system yet it offers versatile and extensive pricing options to comply with various users needs and web design requirements. Webflow has a free neverending plan, which comes with certain limitations that don’t let you get the most out of your project performance. As to premium subscriptions, the website builder offers two types of plans, each of which includes several more plans that differ in functionality, cost and implication. The cost of premium subscriptions starts from $12/mo.
SITE123 – Easy Website Builder for Beginners
SITE123 – is an easy website builder for beginners, which can be used to start any type of web project with regard to your business needs, skills and requirements. The system is affordable, simple and intuitive. It does not require deep flexibility and preliminary coding proficiency to run websites with it. The website builder offers easy and intuitive navigation, integrated drag-and-drop editor, customizable templates, widgets and other handy features most users appreciate to the advantage. To decide, whether the system meets your expectations, take a closer look at its features now:
- Multilingual Support. The website builder makes it possible to start several language versions of your web project with regard to your needs and objectives you intend to avail in the long run. Due to the multilingual support, SITE123 eliminates the need to start several projects in different languages, offering a simpler alternative instead.
- App Market. SITE123 stands out from the crowd due to its powerful and extensive App Market, which offers multiple apps, widgets and add-ons available for integration. These elements can help increase your website performance, boosting its integrated functionality. Among the apps you can choose from, it initially makes sense to mention Live Chat, Galleries, social widgets, Analytic Tools and many more. What’s more, the system offers an opportunity to integrate the Online Form Builder to let you create and integrate various online forms into your website. These include polls, online enquiry forms, callback forms, questionnaires, registration forms and many more.
- High End Logo Maker. The system comes with the built-in Logo Maker, application of which lets you design and customize a quality logo for your website. This may be required to boost your project recognition and brand reputation. In case you have the one already, the website builder allows uploading and editing it with regard to your project needs.
Cost: The website builder is not only easy, but affordable as well. Actually, this is one of the cheapest systems in the modern web design market. SITE123 lets you use its free plan, which never expires, but it also makes it possible to pick one of paid subscriptions based on user requirements and budget. The cost of premium plans starts from $10.80/mo.
uKit – Simple Small Business Website Builder
uKit – is a simple small business website builder, which stands out from the crowd due to its impressive simplicity, convenience and affordability that do not compromise with advanced functionality. The system was initially launched to comply with the needs and requirements of entrepreneurs looking for a simple web design platform. Apart from business websites, it is effectively used to start blogs, portfolios and small/medium web stores (take a look at uKit website examples). One of the undeniable highlights of the website builder is that it does not require coding proficiency, which makes its application easy even for a first-timer. Other advantages of the system are as follows:
- Free Responsive Designs. uKit allows browsing its extensive collection of templates, which are free and responsive by default. The designs are also niche-specific which simplifies users’ choice. Design customization process is easy and hassle-free, which does not imply programming skills. Everything is done with a few clicks only and takes less than half an hour or so.
- Widget Integration. The website builder delivers a perfect widget integration option, which lets you enhance your project performance. The widgets are numerous and versatile and they already come with content that adheres to your business specialization. Among the most popular widgets you can pick for integration, it makes sense to mention Live Chat, uCalc Online Calculator, Google Maps, Social Network widget, PRO Tables and more. AmoCRM and SendPulse integration is available here as well.
- Facebook Page Conversion. With uKit, you can easily convert your Facebook page into a website, following simple instructions the system generates.
- SSL Certificate Connection. The website builder unveils an opportunity to secure your web project by connecting a SSL Certificate to the domain name. This is done for free without requiring any extra effort from the system subscribers.
Cost: uKit is one of the cheapest website builders you can find in the modern web design niche. It doesn’t have a free unlimited plan yet there is a 14-day free trial here. This is enough to test all the features the platform has in stock. Upon the end of the trial version, the system will offer you to upgrade to one of premium plans. There are 4 of them here and their cost starts from $4/mo. That’s an absolutely amazing offer!
The choice of website builders is versatile and there are plenty of options for various niches. However, users still face problems, when it comes to the selection of a decent web building tool. Wix, Shopify, Squarespace, Weebly, WordPress CMS, Jimdo, Webflow, SITE123, uKit and GoDaddy are the most world-renowned services, which do not require any presentation at all. Each of them is the leader in a certain niche, be it a website builder or a CMS. If you are currently looking for a worthy solution in any of these niches, these platforms will certainly be a reasonable investment that will eventually pay off.