Mobirise (current version is 4.4.0) is an offline website builder that has recently become available for Windows, Android and Mac. The program is used to create promo websites and landing pages.
It is absolutely free both for commercial and non-commercial use. Just download it, install and… enjoy creating as many websites as you need without any limitations!
Mobirise is mostly oriented on newbies and does not require any special knowledge and experience to be installed and used properly. The highlight of the program is a perfect optimization of Mobirise websites for mobiles devices. This is due to the powerful Bootstrap 3 framework the software is based on.
Mobirise site builder seems a bit unusual, so let’s have a look under the program’s hood to find out the features that may attract the attention of users.
1. Ease of Use
Mobirise is definitely one of the simplest website builders we have ever tested. Registration in the system is required to receive news and notifications about recent updates. But for work with Mobirise, you should only to download the program and install it. The dashboard is easy-to-use and intuitive. Even if you have never used website builders before, using Mobirise will not be a problem.
The interface is functional and appealing. Based on the WYSIWYG editor that supports the ‘drag-n-drop’, it allows users creating the structure of any website in less than 20 minutes. Filling the site with content will take the rest of your time, depending upon your web design needs and objectives.
Anyway, creating an impressive landing page or a promo website will not take it longer than a day, even if you have zero coding skills and expertise in the niche.
2. Feature Set and Flexibility
Mobirise is created to build small websites, including landing pages, portfolios and different types of promo websites. The dashboard is very simple and contains visual editor, settings menu and a panel to add all types of blocks.
One of the Mobirise unique features as an offline software is that you will have to upload the project you have created to the chosen hosting. It is up to you to select the domain and hosting provider. This is what makes the system similar to CMS. On the other hand, the program looks much simpler as compared to the majority of other website builders.
To publish a site, you will need to buy hosting plan and set up the route for uploading website files. Further updates are made in one click only: you just have to make the changes, activate the “Upload” button and that’s it! By the way, hosting updates involve only those files that have been changed, but not the whole website. This does not require much traffic and time and you can even use mobile Internet to complete the task.
Apart from that, you can publish your websites at the local server and resources like Google Drive, Github, Amazon S3 etc. Updates require the availability of a computer or mobile phone with website files.
This makes it possible for you to upload the latest version of the website to any cloud while being away without having your computer at hand. Likewise, you will have access to this website version from any location you are in.
We have figured out that simplicity is the major Mobirise feature. Let’s focus on the dashboard now:
- Pages makes it possible to add new pages, create their copies, adjust URLs and SEO settings for each page;
- Sites lets you see all active website projects and choose the one you are going to work with. You can select any website name in the settings and adjust the export route (local or cloud server, hosting etc.), upload a favicon and activate animation for page scrolling;
- Login offers you a convenient e-mail login form. Registration is required to gain access to the system updates, extensions, templates and support section;
- Extensions and Themes makes it possible to install free and paid samples of templates and extensions;
- Help me! lets you use the follow-up form to contact the developers.
The major part of Mobirise functionality can be found in the panel used to add blocks, which are subdivided into the following categories:
- Menu lets you choose between two menu formats;
- Intro (headers) offers 9 variants of headers for your website that come with videos, images, sliders, titles and slogans combined in different ways;
- Sliders, galleries allows adding different formats of sliders and galleries;
- Features makes you aware of the blocks that are more suitable to underline the benefits of your commercial website for the users;
- Media makes it possible to add videos and images;
- Article offers the set of blocks used to compose articles (titles, images, sliders, columns, texts, videos, maps etc.);
- Info lets you choose among information-oriented blocks to present any services;
- Testimonials allows selecting customer review blocks designed in different ways;
- Social represents Share/Follow blocks for popular social media services;
- Pricing Tables is used to choose blocks to present the pricing plans of your service;
- Forms offers follow-up and newsletter forms;
- Maps lets you connect to Google Maps;
- Footers represents 4 variants of footer designs.
By dragging any blocks described above, you will be able to build your own site. Having designed the general structure of the project, you will need to adjust the blocks and replace the industry-specific content with that of your own. Listed below are a few examples of how you can work with blocks effectively.
As you see, general settings for various blocks differ a bit, but you can also make use of other options. It is possible to adjust each element separately, like changing icons, texts and button fonts, images, adding your own links and more.
Such functionality makes it possible to customize the design of your website to your liking.
You won’t be able to change the format of blocks, because this depends upon the chosen template, but it is up to you to change and customize other settings and features.
A large gallery of icons of different themes is also worth the attention. You can add them wherever you need, change their sizes, colors and even transform them into links. That’s very convenient.
Mobirise comes with a number of free extensions, including Dropdown Menu, Cookies Alert, Twitter Feed, Facebook Comments, Soundcloud and Google Analytics. They make it possible to enable website comments, music, adjust statistics collection, add pop-out menu and the notifications concerning the storage of cookie files at your website.
To sum up, Mobirise is nearly the ideal mobile website builder for newbies. It is stylish, convenient and easy-to-use. Is there anything else you might need?
Mobirise doesn’t offer any templates. Instead, it lets you choose between three sets of blocks that differ in design. One of the sets is paid and two of them are free. They replace the templates and can be used as a basis for designing a website. Each block reflects specific functionality of the system (like headers, footers, content, sliders, galleries, forms etc.).
By dragging the blocks and choosing their positions, you build your website, giving it the desired look. Variants are unlimited.
Each block and incorporated elements can be additionally adjusted. This is the way Mobirise customization looks. All sets of blocks (or so-called “templates”) look modern and interesting. The elements they include are responsive and you can see the way they look at your desktop, tablet or smartphone any time.
4. Customer support
You can contact the software developers using the official website of the system or by means of the Help Me! Menu. You can also make use of a rich choice of tutorials, including articles and videos. Paid modules come with detailed user instructions as well.
5. Pricing policy
Mobirise cost is all about the domain and hosting pricing. The software itself is absolutely free. Having registered with the program, you will be offered to buy certain extensions. Let us explore them in detail:
- PurityM (free) is an appealing template, the quality of which is better than that of free samples;
- WOW Slider ($29) is a responsive and attention-grabbing image slider with a wide range of settings;
- PayPal Shopping Cart ($29) is an extension that will let you sell products online using your website;
- Icons ($19) involves a large choice of HD icons you can add to any part of your website;
- Code Editor ($69) is an extension for professional web designers, who would like to edit HTML/CSS webpage codes manually.
- All-in-One Kit ($129) All Mobirise extensions and themes in one package.
Having purchased any of these extensions once, you will be able to use them forever. New features will become available at the block panel and in the settings section right after the purchase.
6. Pros and Cons
Benefits of using Mobirise are as follows:
- The software is free. Paid modules are optional and you can continue working with the system effectively without them;
- Simplicity. Mobirise is, probably, the simplest website builder we have reviewed;
- Appealing and responsive templates;
- Rich choice of blocks and flexible setting options;
- The program is an ideal choice for newbies willing to create mobile websites;
- The set of extensions will make it possible for web designers to use the system with higher efficacy.
- The need to buy and set up hosting and domain name on your own;
- Website updating process is simple, but it requires the availability of website files of your project. Mobirise doesn’t have the cloud dashboard;
- Regardless of nice customization options, design of all sites looks similar because of the inability to change the formats of template blocks. Purchasing Code Editor may partially solve the problem.
Mobirise allows newbies creating small and medium websites like promo sites and portfolios. There are SEO-optimization options, an opportunity to improve the quality of visual content and a range of tools that make synchronization with other popular social services possible. The platform is a nice choice to create ordinary and mobile websites.
Mobirise websites look modern, but somewhat similar to each other. To make a website active, you will need to choose hosting and domain. The most complicated aspect for newbies here is setting up the FTP-server to publish website on the web. This is where the software compromises with cloud options in terms of usability.
Mobirise is a unique and quality product. The website builder is worth the attention of newbies and can become an ideal start for them. Haven’t tested Mobirise yet? Then it is high time to download, install and explore the system for free!