Jimdo – is a platform created by a team of dedicated developers who managed to implement above average commerce features. However, it is far from being perfect whenever you need to create a blog or a business card website from scratch. Jimdo obviously lacks well-designed templates. Although the platform offers a free plan, it includes only a limited number of templates. Once you crave for more professionally designed layouts, prepare to pay.
Styling also looks pretty average with a lack of editing tools unless you are aware of how to code. The last but not the least is that Jimdo is not actually a drag-and-drop website builder. For this reason, you might need a better alternative offering a wider range of features, eCommerce tools, and customization options.
The Best Alternatives to Jimdo
WIX – The Best Jimdo Alternative
Wix – is a multi-purpose platform fully packed with advanced website building technologies. Unlike Jimdo, Wix can be used to create different types of sites including not only digital shops but also blogs, business cards, professional portfolios, etc. It comes with a beginner-friendly editing and customization technology that lets newbies create a stylish and responsive site in minutes. You will appreciate a selection of web design instruments in addition to the platform’s flexibility and relatively low pricing.
The key Wix features are as follows:
- Endless Editing Capabilities – either you are a total newbie, a dedicated pro, or a user with basic technical knowledge, Wix is the right choice. It offers several ways to build a ready-to-go site. Just as Jimdo’s Dolphin, WIX ADI is an AI-based technology that creates sites in minutes. Bit Wix solution is much easier and more user-friendly in terms of settings. Pros will make the most of Wix Corvid – the environment to create custom functions and website elements. Average users can start creating a new design from scratch by adding new blocks and sections.
- Stylish Templates – Wix has a wider collection of templates than Jimdo. Users will get access to more than 550 responsive themes that are divided into categories depending on the business niche. From online shops and event sites to real estate, portfolios, and landing pages – all templates come with built-in elements and blocks that can be edited on the fly.
- Wix Stores and Product Management – apart from eCommerce templates, Wix has an integrated product management system. Users will be able to create collections and manage product pages to display items in the most appealing manner. Various payment methods can be integrated to process transactions including PayPal, Stripe, and others.
- Promotions – the platform delivers a set of promotion tools to launch special deals and personalized offers. Shop owners can offer special discounts, promo codes, coupons, free shipping, etc.
Wix price: the system has a free plan that may work fine to test the editor and see how everything works from the inside. If you need a fully-featured blog, portfolio, or business card with a unique domain, a Combo plan costing $13 per month is the right choice. It includes access to Wix App Market, responsive templates plus 1-year free domain and hosting. For eCommerce needs, you will need a separate plan that starts at $23 per month.
WordPress – Self-Hosted Jimdo Alternative
WordPress – is an open-source CMS with endless web design and customization opportunities. The software might be not as easy to get started, but it definitely beats Jimdo in terms of flexibility. Initially developed for content-based projects, WordPress is a comprehensive tool that lets users create small business sites and fully-featured online shops no matter how many products you want to sell. Besides, WP is a self-hosted platform with more freedom in terms of picking the best-matching server solution.
The main WordPress benefits include:
- Design & Customization – the term “open-source” means that you have access to the source code. Users are free to modify the website’s HTML/CSS as well as do some programming, create custom page elements, blocks, and functions. The feature requires programming and web design skills. On the other hand, you will be able to create a 100% unique design and website structure.
- Themes for any Taste – the selection of WordPress themes is overwhelming. From simple blogs, portfolios, or magazines to more complicated business sites, forums, and digital stores – you will be able to choose from thousands of responsive templates. The list of themes is regularly updated with both free and premium (paid) layouts.
- Integration & Flexibility – endless plugins will help you to create SEO-friendly content, manage website assets, track analytics, implement user acquisition tools, promote your project via multiple channels, and more. WordPress can be integrated with any third-party service with just a few clicks.
- eCommerce Functionality – benefit from a free WooCommerce plugin to create a full-cycle shop featuring editable product page, management tools, integrated payment options, and more.
WordPress price: the CMS is free to use. There are no subscriptions or other fees. However, users will have to pay for premium templates, some plugins, and third-party services. Besides, you will need a trusted hosting solution designed specially for WP needs such as Bluehost. The basic package costs $2.95 per month featuring WordPress integration, plugin and system updates, template installation, security means, and more.
Shopify – Ecommerce & Shopping Cart Alternative
Shopify – is an eCommerce-oriented platform that helps users to create, launch, manage, and promote their online shops. The software is one of the best in its niche whenever you want to launch a tiny store or create a global marketplace with sounds of products to sell online. While Jimdo lacks eCommerce functionality, Shopify delivers a bunch of features to brand and customize the future store, set shopping cart, deal with the store management as well as Marketing, SEO, and promotion.
The core Shopify functions include:
- Responsive Themes – Shopify offers a custom collection of professional templates for eCommerce needs. Users may currently choose from over 70 different layouts that are mobile-friendly and have a separate blogging feature. A simple editor lets you make necessary changes or even access HTML/CSS code to handle major improvements.
- Advanced eCommerce Functionality – with Shopify, you get a ready-to-go online store with a set shopping cart, integrated payment options, SSL certificate, product management tools, and more. Get a chance to connect more than 100 different payment gateways to process transactions not only in major global currencies but also in Bitcoin. The software comes with automated tax and shipping fee calculations, abandoned cart recovery instruments, and more.
- Digital Store Management – the platform offers a comprehensive management system to keep control over customers’ profiles, order fulfillment, dropshipping, user accounts, refunds, and more. Manage your online shop on the go and access the dashboard via a mobile device.
- SEO & Marketing – users will have a chance to implement baseline SEO practices and manage meta tags, SEO titles, and descriptions. The editor makes it possible to create well-formatted content and highlight H1, H2, H3… subheadings to make your texts or product descriptions more SEO-friendly. Shopify helps to sell products via Facebook as well as launch promotions, send gift cards, promo codes, and coupons.
Shopify price: considering all the features, Shopify plans look pretty affordable. For example, to launch a store with a hosting, domain, SSL security and unlimited products to sell will cost you from $29 per month. For scaling and growing eCommerce projects, there are Shopify and Advanced Shopify plans costing $79 and $299 per month respectively.
uKit – Cheaper and Easier Alternative to Jimdo
uKit – is one of the cheapest and easiest website building platforms in the niche. It is perfect for newbies eager to create stylish and responsive small business sites, portfolios, landing pages, and tiny online shops in minutes. The system comes with an intuitive drag-and-drop editor, ready-made templates with integrated features, and baseline eCommerce options.
What to look for in uKit:
- Ready-to-Go Sites without Coding – you do not have to learn how to code when building a website with uKit. A simple drag-and-drop functionality makes it easy to arrange elements, edit them, or move around the page. Users may change or add texts in pretty much the same way as in a typical Word document.
- Professional Design – uKit has a solid collection of responsive templates with a stylish design. Hundreds of themes and layouts are divided into categories. They come with not only custom images but also texts that can be applied to specific industries.
- All-in-One Solution – the software is available as a fully-featured website builder with domain and hosting included in the plan. Users are free to connect their own domain as well without technical obstacles.
- uKit Alt – a feature that lets users convert their Facebook pages into ready-to-go websites. With the help of the API tool, uKit collects all the data from your social profile including texts and images to arrange it on the relevant website template.
uKit price: you may start creating a site with the platform for only $5. The Minimal plan provides access to all major features and it is much cheaper than Jimdo’s entry package. There are three more plans that include Basic, eCommerce, and Pro costing $10, $13, and $15 respectively. Each plan comes with a 14-day free trial.
Squarespace – One of the Most Popular Website Builder
Squarespace – is a flexible and up-to-date website builder to create different types of websites. Users may choose to form a list of customizable templates and edit them with no coding skills to launch a blog, photographer’s portfolio, business card, restaurant site, or online store. The platform made a name for itself thanks to stylish layouts, a range of design tools, affordable prices, and a creative approach.
The key Squarespace features include:
- Stylish Templates – each layout is developed by a custom Squarespace design team. Unlike Jimdo, the software lets you use multiple templates for a single website to work on various designs simultaneously. Additional Squarespace template options include an intuitive style editor to change configurations and styling settings, integrated Typekits and Google fonts, custom CSS editing, and more.
- eCommerce Extensions – apart from unlimited products to sell and layouts organized to meet eCommerce needs, the software can serve online selling needs with the help of its extensions. They include third-party integrations for shipping and fulfillment, payment gateways and bookkeeping, inventory and product management instruments, marketing, and promotion options.
- Cover Page Builder – it can be added to an existing Squarespace project with 10 additional templates with grid galleries and clear CTA blocks to create landing pages that work in minutes. The key benefit is that users are able to switch between different templates whenever they want.
- Advanced Blogging Feature – create blog posts, connect RSS feed, publish articles with multiple author entries, improve post search engine ranks with the help of a built-in Google Author Rank feature, and more.
Squarespace price: the platform offers 4 different plans to choose from. If you need a content-based site, a business card, or portfolio, you may opt for a Personal or Business plan costing $12 and $18 per month respectively. Users who want to start selling online will require either Basic ($26 per month) or Advanced Commerce ($40 per month) package.
Webflow – Website Design Tool, CMS and Hosting
Webflow – is a powerful platform to build advanced and fully functional business sites. It promises an easy editing process without coding skills. And it’s true. But, to make the most of the platform, you are supposed to have at least basic technical background. Anyway, the software delivers built-in SEO tools, integration capabilities, content updates, and other features that make Webflow a more flexible alternative to Jimdo.
The main Webflow capabilities are as follows:
- Advanced Web Design Technologies – all website templates are 100% responsive as well as the images and other media files you upload. Users may access and edit the source code or make the most of layouts with the built-in CSS grid. Besides, 3D animations and complex visual effects can be added without coding skills.
- Custom CMS – the software has its own content management system featuring Open Graph and SEO settings to optimize pages and create SEO-friendly content. A CMS API is to make the platform open for business and customers you collaborate with.
- Squarespace Components – the building process takes place using custom forms that contain all necessary elements you may need to have on the page. They include tabs, dropdown menus, social sharing buttons, carousels, sliders, navigation components, and more.
- Integration – feel free to connect major tracking and analytic services by Google. Also, your website can be integrated with Zapier to deliver access to multiple third-party services and messengers like Slack, Asana, MailChimp, etc.
Webflow price: users will be able to choose from two different pricing models. The first one includes three major site plans: Basic ($12 per month), CMS ($16 per month), and Business ($36 per month). The second model offers individual account plan settings that range from $0 to $35 per month. For eCommerce needs, you may select Standard, Plus, or Advanced plan costing $29, $74, and $212 per month.
Jimdo – is a solid website building platform with some good features. However, it obviously lacks flexibility when it comes to editing web pages. It is rather expensive and lacks a selection of FREE professional themes and templates. Jimdo is less versatile and mainly focused on e-commerce websites.
On the other hand, we have good alternatives reviewed earlier. They look more flexible whenever you need to create any type of website. They offer advanced SEO features in addition to blogging tools. They provide a free access to a wide range of free templates despite the plan you choose.