Looking for a hosting provider that is both convenient and affordable? iPage is an old-timer in the industry that has many loyal fans. As for Hostinger, it is in the process of continuous development. Both providers claim to offer low-cost shared server solutions that include budget entry plans. These companies may be a wise choice for minor business sites, regular website creators, and bloggers who plan to launch simple projects.
iPage and Hostinger bring plenty of standard medium-range features at a low budget. Though some larger and more sophisticated websites may offer a broader selection of tools, among them, these companies might appear as a money-making server solution. Read on to find the necessary info comprising the advantages and disadvantages of each hosting provider, pricing policy, and range of hosting options and their characteristics.
iPage vs Hostinger: General Comparison
Wondering which to choose: iPage or Hostinger? First of all, you should weigh your chosen plans. Both mentioned hosting providers may be a money-making and optimal option for a business owner.
- Hostinger is now popular with clients featuring over 20,000 new websites hosted every day. The platform offers optimal page load rate and uptime. It has a responsive support service and reasonably priced plans. Yet, the pricing policy includes additional fees and hidden extra charges.
- iPage first appeared in virtual space back in 1998. It has served millions of users and boasts years of experience. The company is quite flexible with its integration capabilities. Besides, it is one of the most affordable server offers on the market. Here the question arises, should we expect much from its plans?
As for overall performance, iPage shows a score of 9.2 and a customer satisfaction rating of 98%, whereas Hostinger has 8.8, and a user rating of 100. To save time, read further to see the points compared to make your final decision about iPage vs Hostinger.
|Price||$0.80 per month||$2.75 per month|
|Starting Price||$1.39 per month||$1.99 per month|
|Speed||366 ms||1156 ms|
On the surface, the two web hosts seem similar. Explore the pros and cons of each provider to make your final decision.
Pros and Cons
Both hosting companies are popular among users for their certain features. No doubt, there are shortcomings as well.
| ✔ 24/7 responsive support;|
✔ Multiple server locations;
✔ User-friendly interface;
✔ Low price;
✔ Free daily backups;
✔ Great features list;
✔ High 99.99% uptime;
✔ Easy to use for a novice;
✔ Free SSL Certificate.
| ✘ Limited disk space;|
✘ Limited essential extras;
✘ Performance is down sometimes.
| ✔ Low-cost packages;|
✔ Free web designer tool Weebly;
✔ No connection complications;
✔ Great features list;
✔ Multiple server locations;
✔ Ease of use;
✔ 1-click applications;
✔ Unlimited disk storage.
| ✘ Privacy features need improvement;|
✘ Lack of cPanel;
✘ Slow customer support.
As you can see, Hostinger takes the leading position by its pros while the shortcomings of iPage are more serious than its rival’s. The features provided by both companies are similar but Hostinger offers them a lower price. Note that despite all pluses that the two providers have, they are still far behind industry majors Bluehost and HostGator. Let’s move on to learn about providers’ features, pricing, and more.
Comparison of Features
- Both companies have operative website builders and 100+ auto-installer apps. Yet, Hostinger offers a broader variety and templates: 200+ vs 100+.
- Both providers include website protection against malicious programs and data backup.
- iPage makes a difference via its website transfer service. Here you need to pay $150.
- Hostinger takes over this category by the fast SSD disks used in the servers.
The wide array of features that iPage provides to its new and regular users makes this website hosting provider a suitable variant for small businesses. In addition, it features a series of perks, including free domain name registration, unmetered email accounts, a 30-day money-back guarantee, unlimited bandwidth and storage space, etc. Anyway, what makes this provider stand out is the unlimited number of customizable email addresses – a feature most convenient for smaller businesses and teams.
Although iPage offers unlimited bandwidth, thus giving a user a chance to use as much data and space as necessary for virtual businesses, there’s a “normal usage” limitation set. It indicates whether your site uses the right amount of bandwidth and space a personal blog or a small business needs for normal functioning. If the platform feels your bandwidth or space use exceeds the average rate, it sends you a notification giving you two days to reduce it. Otherwise, the account may be taken offline.
Other advantageous features of iPage are robust security tools such as malware monitoring, SSL certificates, SPF authentication, and email scanning. By signing up for the SiteLock plugin, which is available in three tiers depending on your security level, you can activate even more security features such as bot blocking, updated blacklists, premium malware scanning, etc.
iPage is rich with plugins that all intend to enhance the functioning of your website. Some of the most popular options are WordPress, Microsoft 365, Outlook, ZenPhoto galleries, Google Apps, ZenCart, OpenCart, etc. Furthermore, all the IMAP and POP3 email accounts feature customizable spam filters and automatic scans for viruses, email forwarding, and autoresponders.
Hostinger, on the other hand, keeps its technical aspects constantly upgraded, including the latest PHP versions, fast LiteSpeed web servers, etc. Every new PHP version Hostinger offers can drastically raise your site speed. Currently, the freshest PHP version is eight, and this hosting provider has incorporated it into its plans. If you want to change the version, head to the PHP Configuration tool right from the control panel.
In terms of security, Hostinger doesn’t yield to iPage. These features include daily and weekly backups, free SSL encryption, two-factor authentication, and internal server security. In addition, Hostinger boasts of several layers of DDoS protection. For example, it analyzes traffic through Wanguard (generating firewall rules) and blocks malicious attacks. Another web application firewall on Hostinger is Imunify360 or Bitninja.
If you currently have a website hosted by another company, migrating the site to Hostinger won’t charge you anything. Apparently, you don’t even have to perform it manually. Instead, simply contact the support or request the migration from the dashboard, and they will migrate your website in a breeze.
And finally, Hostinger is one of those few website hosting companies that provide anonymity and adult hosting. This feature is supported by allowing payments in cryptocurrencies. Since cryptos are untraceable, your identity remains perfectly safe. Additionally, Hostinger doesn’t require identity verification, unlike most other website hosts, which is another excellent feature for those who want to go anonymous.
Types of Hosting
Both iPage vs Hostinger include a baseline set of services comprising typical free features such as SSL certificates, domain names, or site building tools. Nevertheless, iPage is more eCommerce-oriented, which makes it a good choice for minor business site owners.
This is an eCommerce-oriented platform. Unfortunately, it lacks advanced features that its major competitors like Bluehost have. Yet, it is still serviceable enough to allow small company owners to turn their ventures into a more progressive eCommerce site with these features:
- Free Features – major iPage plans cover a free domain and promote credits.
- Good for Novices – the platform is manageable but lacks a traditional dashboard.
- eCommerce Features – this is a worthy place to launch your first business website.
Overall, iPage is a good platform for newbies. Once you reach a particular level, you may opt for a company with hosting wider flexibility like HostGator or Bluehost.
This is a reasonably priced hosting provider appropriate for any budget. Though, the platform may not provide some advanced options with extended hosting functions for site owners. Yet, the majority will like the offered simple baseline features.
- Hosting Easy to Use – beginners will appreciate using the platform due to a simple dashboard. Each tool is displayed right on the dashboard’s main screen.
- Free Features – reasonably-priced plans, and a set of free features that range from SSL certificates to free email promotion tools.
- WP-oriented Hosting Platform – provider is well-matched with all large CMS platforms such as WordPress, which simplifies work.
To help you instantly compare the two hosts, we’ve put their basic hosting features in the table below:
|Speed||366 ms||1156 ms|
|Hosting Packages||VPS Hosting|
|Starting Price||$1.39 per month||$1.99 per month|
|Domain Name Registrar||+||+|
|Features||Free SSL Certificate|
Powerful Control Panel
|Free SSL Certificate|
Plenty of Websites
|Features||Multiple Data Centers|
Free SSL Certificate
Free Domain Name
Free SSL Certificate
24/7 WordPress Support
Pre-installed Plugins & Themes
To sum up, here Hostinger and iPage are on the same level due to the variety and numerous advantages in hosting that it provides.
Comparison of Usage
Usability is vital for hosting providers. Let’s move on to the comparison of the simplicity of the panels, the purchase process, and the quality of customer support of Hostinger vs iPage.
As for the ease of use, most likely, we’ll have a draw since both Hostinger and iPage were created with beginners in mind. By choosing Hostinger, you can leave the initial setup on the automatic wizards. It includes the three primary steps – server choice, domain registration, application installation, and SSL encryption.
Hostinger features its unique brand hPanel control panel that successfully incorporates simplicity and functionality. Although hPanel is not as popular as cPanel and Plesk, it is pretty straightforward to navigate. In addition, the company updates the control panel periodically to make it even more intuitive and functional.
The hPanel gives users access to installing apps, reaching file managers, adding domains, checking databases, adding email accounts, etc. Apparently, all tools are logically categorized into respective sections. The only thing that may frustrate a user is the constantly changing speed of loading the hPanel. Other than this, hPanel is effective and practical in managing websites.
iPage used to have a standard cPanel but later switched to vDeck – a more transparent and intuitive control panel for beginners. Its interface is easy to navigate with no endless dropdowns. In addition, the dashboard looks clean and organized to give users quick access to the required options within seconds.
iPage allows users to customize the hosting environment to suit their requirements. You can install any software you need, while the effortless control panel enables users to arrange the website the way they wish. Generally, iPage is a perfect platform for beginners, thanks to the several beginner-level tools that help users start their website and run it effortlessly. In addition, it offers simple drag-and-drop site builders, unlimited MySQL databases, straightforward eCommerce setup, domains, reliable marketing assistance, etc.
iPage has phone support but lacks support via help tickets which may be helpful to deal with technical problems. Hostinger does not offer any phone service but has a support system via extensive tickets.
It’s time to compare the overall performance of the two hosts. As the speed of your website affects your website’s ranking on Google, it can shape your success. Let’s check the host’s response times, online times, and observe BitCatcha speed classifications.
Uptime and Response Time
iPage company positions itself as a budget web hosting provider with inexpensive plans. The providers show a good uptime rate – 99.98%. However, its page load speed is only good enough for some minor or medium web projects – 820 ms.
Hostinger displays better results in terms of performance. The provider has considerably improved its page load rates and uptime becoming one of the top server solutions. The average uptime rate has remained 99.98% during the recent months and the latest page load speed is 385ms.
- In terms of offline times, both hosts are reliable. iPage was down only for 9 minutes in the month. Hostinger was not down even for a moment.
- Here are two hosts’ BitCatcha values at low or high maintenance:
- iPage score – low – B, high – C +
- Hostinger score – low – A, high – B +
- iPage company implements all cutting-edge technologies to establish 100% safety despite traffic leaps or spikes. It has an uptime monitoring system. The platform partners with SiteLock and Firewall to prevent hacking, and personal info leaking. There are constant system updates and supplementary instruments that spot outdated widgets or apps and update them. The SSL certificate is included in every plan but it charges extra fees for them.
- Hostinger cares about its clients’ digital security and privacy. The platform offers a blend of advanced solutions and baseline. Baseline means of safety include:
- Free SSL certificate;
- Integration with SpamAssassin and Cloudflare;
- Regular data backups;
- BitNinja is a single solution security tool with a pack of instruments. It protects from the risk of hacking or scamming, malware, XXS frauds, and DDoS attacks.
While iPage offers baseline security features, Hostinger delivers more enhanced solutions.
Updates and Backups
Backing up your website content guarantees protection from unlucky events. Let’s see how often both companies perform back-ups.
- Hostinger offers automatic weekly backup with Single and Premium plans and keeps them for 30-days. However, this may not be enough. You can also generate the backup manually – create a ZIP file to locally download.
- There are no backup features at iPage. The platform literally forces users to purchase a special Site Backup Tool addon at around $31 a year for every website. As for updates, there are constant system updates and instruments that update outdated widgets or apps.
Site and Domain Migration Comparison
The next point of comparison is two hosting services’ registration of domain name and website migration/transfer.
- iPage’s shared hosting plans are widespread, but their offers are not limited to offered plans. The company allows you to have several domain names linked to your account.
- Hostinger provides convenient WordPress hosting plans, allowing the creation of several websites. Its advanced user plans guarantee a free domain name for the initial year.
So, if you have a business website with a working domain name, check the site migration of both services providers to make the right choice.
Here’s what both companies offer when it comes to domain migration:
- You can purchase domain names from iPage directly. Their basic optimized cost for a domain name for the first year is $9.99, and after renewal, you will pay $19.99.
- There are many available dozens of domain name extensions, even unusual ones.
- After shared hosting package renewal, a yearly plan costs $8.99 per month, which is quite costly.
Hostinger simplifies the processes of domain transfer.
- All of its plans come with Cloudflare integration dedicated IP addresses, and LiteSpeed Cache.
- All of the Hostinger WordPress plans comprise an optimized platform for your site.
- Hostinger allows the creation of several websites. You may also install it on a regular shared hosting plan.
- After the first year of a free domain name, the company charges you $15-25 annually.
Hostinger allows easier migration of non-WordPress sites. It guides you amid the various available migration. Once you complete the essential form, the tool will for free migrate your site.
- You may migrate non-WordPress websites via the same Migration Requests form located in your dashboard or, you may request to migrate your website within the setup process.
- At Hostinger, the site migration plans cost $0.99/month – $3.99/month.
iPage doesn’t provide a website transfer service, so users do it manually. The process starts with downloading your site’s files onto your computer and uploading them to your new account.
- iPage also has dedicated servers for bigger sites – or even a whole server. However, they get quite costly, as dedicated hosting plans are around $140 per month.
Unlike iPage, Hostinger in fact offers web hosting services at very affordable prices. iPage also offers to host at low initial prices but boosts the price up when users renew the plan. Note that if you want a better quality service, you should consider the industry leaders like HostGator or Bluehost.
Website Builder Comparison
Hostinger provides Free Website Building Tools – Hostinger custom website builder helps create a website from scratch. A free templates simple and drag-and-drop editor lets newbies produce a project connected to a domain.
Unlike many hosting providers, Hostinger does not have cPanel to manage hosting accounts and domains. Its own control panel is called hPanel – a web-based panel that users can access by logging in with their account details. You can manage your domains, hosting, servers, emails, SSL, and billing via hPanel. Some other features of Hostinger web building include:
- Free access to plenty of specialized templates;
- Built-in widgets with payment processing;
- Supports 31 languages plus 99.9% uptime;
- Disk Space 30 GB – 200 GB SSD;
- Free website scripts;
- 24/7 network monitoring;
- SSL secured Servers;
- Fully customizable site.
iPage uses a simple Website Builder – newbies can use free custom website building tools. You will find a range of drag-and-drop editing tools and free templates to create your projects from scratch
iPage uses an outdated, free, version of the site builder Weebly. Due to a formed partnership iPage’s customers use site builder at no extra charge, but it hasn’t been updated, so it is used only to build dated-looking websites.
Unfortunately, iPage does not offer cPanel. Instead, they offer their own customized panel version – vDeck which is similar to cPanel. vDeck allows beginner website owners to grow their website at a faster pace with an easier-to-use control panel. Some of the main features of included iPage service:
- A drag-and-drop site builder tool;
- E-Commerce. a flexible shopping cart;
- Free Marketing Tools;
- Choice of Weebly or WebsiteBuilder;
- Mobile-optimized setup wizards;
- 100s of skillfully designed themes;
- Free online store, and shopping cart;
- Space unlimited.
Both providers are straightforward and do a great job at making everything easier for their users. Hostinger is a full-featured service within the budget which could be a better option among the two. However, it is weaker than the hosting forerunner Hostgator.
Customer Support Comparison
iPage has an operative customer support team with several options to provide assistance:
- Phone for instant contact;
- Ticketing system or email – in 24 hours;
- Live Chat – 20 minutes;
- WP-oriented experts’ support team.
Hostinger is indeed far from being perfect. Though, it offers several means to provide skillful support to its clients.
- A live chat – available for logged-in users;
- Ticketing system;
- A solid resource base featuring tutorials or handy info with detailed descriptions of all possible technical issues.
Both companies have not ideal but good enough support services. It may take a bit longer than you might expect to get professional help from them.
In this contest, we will discuss the services of shared web hosting – the entry option, typically more common among bloggers and regular site owners. The prices to compare will not only be the promotion offers. The time extension of these offers and their renewal prices after they expire are also worth considering.
- At first glance, iPage seems to offer a great start. None of the popular providers offer once-a-month plans but $1.99/mo for the entire web hosting plan. Hostinger’s plans range from $1.99/mo to $4.99/mo, which is a good indicator.
- After the initial offer, Hostinger does not boost its renewal prices, but iPage does, overcoming its competitor 4 to 5 times. The pricing will also not be monthly as iPage will charge users for the same period that they previously purchased.
If you want to use the Hostinger for a little more time, it has a better deal for you. Its renewal pricing is much better.
- Both companies have extra fees and features. When operating with Hostinger, you will have to pay for every new domain name you want to add. iPage charges for all plan renewals and domain registrations. Nevertheless, they remain the cheapest server option on the market.
iPage vs Hostinger: Conclusion
With simple software installations, automatic backups, and unlimited storage and bandwidth, both iPage and Hostinger shower new customers with all the tools they’ll need to succeed online. Whether you’re looking for a drag-and-drop site builder or optimized WordPress hosting, beginners will find plenty of handy tools.
iPage is a basic hosting provider that offers a single plan for all customers in addition to its WP-customized plans. It may still be a money making solution for bloggers or entrepreneurs who want to launch their smaller projects or minor eCommerce sites. Several security means and high performance may bring profit.
Hostinger shows slightly better performance specifically in terms of page load time. Yet, it will be a worthy option for bigger and more difficult projects requiring extended server capacity. Then again, it may be an optimal option to start with.
Wrapping up, the explored hosting platforms can be good for newbies and for minor and medium projects. They offer only some baseline features. If you want a high-end quality and excellent service, check out the best hosting providers according to user reviews, HostGator and Bluehost.