Bluehost and iPage are considered as the top hosting providers in the budget segment. Both deliver top-notch functions and unlimited capabilities when it comes to bandwidth, storage or domain names.
At the same time, both companies boast some extended features although Bluehost looks more flexible in terms of versatile server solutions to meet different website types’ requirements.
A Quick Snapshot:
iPage may work out for small business and eCommerce websites and projects of other types. It delivers good performance and low prices. Established in 1998, the hosting boasts enough flexibility and integration capabilities to meet users’ expectations at low cost.
Bluehost has been the favorite for millions of WordPress-based website owners delivering its services since 1996. The platform powers over 5 million domains ensuring great website performance, great uptime, and page load speed despite the project type. Users will also benefit from extended server solution offers in addition to baseline security means, WP customization feature, and affordable prices.
This time we are going to hold a one-on-one Bluehost vs iPage session to define the best hosting offer taking into account core factors like features, performance, pricing, support, and other issues that might be crucial for users.
1. Hosting Features
iPage. As we have mentioned from the start, iPage is mainly focused on small business and eCommerce websites. It might do the trick whenever you have an existing project and want it to bring to a new level or develop a brand new one from scratch. Here are some features you may find helpful:
- Easy to Use – Most newbies find it hard to use traditional dashboards right from the start. To make things easier for non-technicians, iPage has developed its own control panel with all settings and tools in one place. They are easy to find and access in order to deal with hosting settings.
- Custom Website Builder – a great tool to launch a new project from scratch without opting for third-party software. It comes with over 100 templates to edit and customize using a simple editor. Good news is that the feature is available with all iPage plans. However, the entry plan will let you build not more than 6 pages, which looks pretty limited
- eCommerce Functionality – creating a fully-customized digital store with iPage is easy. You will get an integrated solution like Shopsite with all necessary functions including payment options, shopping cart, product management system, etc.
- Free All-in-One Solution – each plan comes with free features such as PayPal integrating, free domain and hosting, SEO and SMM tools, free access to a website builder, etc.
The core drawback is that you actually need to pay for each and every extension. For example, integrated eCommerce and Analytic tools are not available with the Basic plan. You need to upgrade the package in order to get more features. In other words, you need to pay extra cash to access more FREE features, which looks strange.
Bluehost. Bluehost is the WP-recommended hosting provider. It means seamless integration with the WordPress dashboard in addition to built-in plugins and services. The platform is perfect for different website types. It will work out not only for digital stores but also for professional blogs, business sites, etc. Have a look at some of its features you would certainly love:
- Great for Beginners – the system introduces its custom cPanel with intuitive design. It looks very clear and easy-to-understand. You can opt for WordPress-like panel with just a click. The system offers seamless integration with the native ManageWP dashboard for WP-based website owners.
- Endless Customization Capabilities – choose from a selection of customization instruments available on the Bluehost marketplace. You can opt for various scripts, add-ons or widgets as well as WordPress plugins. They are all available at zero cost.
- SEO Settings – the platform introduces a pool of SEO specialists of its own. You can consult them to take the fullest from customized SEO strategy or opt for ready-to-use tactics aimed at boosting your website’s SEO.
- eCommerce Features – a great package for those running digital stores. It comes with SSL encryption, seamless third-party integration with services like Agora or Zen. Simply get a WooCommerce application for your website to start selling products online at a blink.
Bluehost delivers superior usability and flexibility out of the box. It looks more versatile in terms of building different website types with customizable offers for each particular project. This is what makes it slightly better if compared to iPage.
iPage vs Bluehost. Both platforms are pretty easy to use although Bluehost is more WP-friendly. It offers a seamless integration with the WordPress dashboard, while it may take some time for users to learn a custom iPage dashboard.
iPage. Although it claims to be a low-cost hosting provider, iPage still pays attention to such key factors as uptime, security and page load speed. For this reason, it may seem to be an ultimate solution to save a couple of bucks and benefit from a reliable server functionality. Let’s have a look at its key performance rates:
- Uptime Rate – iPage shows 99.98% of uptime. It is not bad considering the majority of hosting providers with an average rate of 0.04% lower.
- Page Load Speed – this is where users may have some questions. Although the average rate is approximately 820ms, it is far from being perfect especially if you are planning to launch a complex digital store with multiple functions and features.
- Data Centers – iPage has data centers located in the USA only although company representations are available in six countries across the world.
As a result, iPage has a relatively good uptime rate although pretty poor page load speed, which is still good enough for small and medium websites. This is where Bluehost might appear to be a better alternative.
Bluehost. Bluehost has improved over the years boosting its key performance rates. The essential stats are as follows:
- Uptime Rate – 99.99% looks almost perfect. It is not just about the high percentage, but also regular backups and updates that add reliability to the platforms. The system has a custom algorithm to pinpoint possible errors and correct them promptly.
- Page Load Speed – the average loading speed is 424ms, which is also pretty close to what we call a perfect rate, which put Bluehost into the top 5 fastest hosting providers across the globe.
- Data Centers – Bluehost has multiple data centers in different parts of the world. They currently include over 23 locations in the US, Asia, and Europe.
The platform looks like a better alternative in terms of performance considering globally located data centers, higher page load speed, and better uptime rate.
iPage vs Bluehost. Bluehost is certainly a winner in terms of performance although iPage is not as bad. However, Bluehost looks more reliable in terms of uptime rates. Moreover, it delivers higher page load speed that might be crucial.
iPage. iPage seems to take care of the website’s security. It uses the latest technologies to detect and eliminate possible malfunctions as well as prevent your sites from malicious activities.
- iPage collaborates with SiteLock and Firewall to keep you safe from hacking, scamming, etc.
- The system uses monitoring technologies to prevent personal data leaking.
- Users do not have to care about system backups.
- The system automatically deals with pass and plugins updates.
Summing up, iPage looks pretty good in terms of web security means to protect the site from spikes and leaps during the traffic overload or servers going down.
Bluehost. Bluehost is probably the best hosting provider in terms of security. It comes with various instruments based on its custom anti-spam algorithm. It has three basic layers that include:
- Spam Hammer.
- Spam Expert.
- Apache Spam Assassin.
The work well when defending your site from hackers and spammers. As for extended safety means, users will benefit from the following:
- Access to SSH.
- DDOS security.
- Site access blockage.
- IP blacklist.
- CloudFare integration and more.
Bluehost boasts improved reliability delivered by up-to-date advanced web security means available for all users despite the plan.
iPage vs Bluehost. Each platform has enough security means to ensure your website’s stable operation and protection from hackers. On the other hand, Bluehost seems to implement more techniques to prevent DDOS attacks or spamming.
4. Customer Support
iPage. iPage offers multiple ways to get in touch with its support team. However, make sure you can afford to wait up to 20 minutes for a response when using the Live Chat option. As for the available means, you can choose any of the following:
- Traditional ticketing system (the average response time is 24 hours).
- Phone in case of emergencies for instant communication,
- Live Chat (the average response time is 20 minutes).
The great news is that iPage has a separate WP-oriented pool of experts to help your resolve different issues with the WordPress website.
Bluehost. Bluehost has a huge support team with specialists in various fields. As well as iPage, it also has a dedicated WP support team in addition to:
- Email ticketing system.
- Live Chat.
In addition, the platform boasts an enormous community featuring guides, tutorials, articles, and tons of other useful information you might need.
Bluehost vs iPage. Both hosting providers offer the same means to stay in touch with the support team. However, Bluehost users may benefit from faster responses if compared to iPage specialist. On the other hand, a couple of minutes may hardly be a problem for less demanding users.
5. Pricing Policy
iPage. iPage is probably one of the most affordable hosting solutions. It does not actually have traditional pricing policy with plans and packages most users are used to. The system has a ready-to-use solution in the face of its iPage web hosting that costs $1.99 per month. The plan renewal will cost you $8.99 more.
The system has separate WordPress plans that include:
- WP Starter costing $1.99 per month with a free domain, unlimited bandwidth, and storage.
- WP Essential costing $6.95 per month with all features form the Starter plan + dedicated WP support, ready-to-use WP themes, plugins, and malware removal.
The price looks very low as well as misleading. The system has numerous hidden fees. You will have to pay for each and every extension without mentioning plan renewal, which is three times more expensive if compared to the entry price tag.
Bluehost. Bluehost offers a clear pricing policy. The system introduces four of its baseline plans in addition to cloud, VPS and dedicated hosting solutions for those who require more flexibility. The basic plans are as follows:
- Basic Plan costing $2.95 per month with 50GB of storage, unlimited bandwidth, free domain, and SSL.
- Plus Plan costing $5.45 per month with basic features + unlimited SSD storage and websites, unlimited domains, Spam experts and ad credits.
- A Choice Plan costing $5.45 per month with Plus features + domain privacy and site backups.
- Pro Plan costing $13.95 with all unlimited and free features in the pack including security.
As for other server solutions, users can choose from:
- Cloud Hosting starting from $6.95/month.
- VPS Hosting starting from $19.99/month.
- Dedicated Hosting starting from $79.99/month.
- Reseller Hosting Offer starting from $10.95/month.
Bluehost looks much better in terms of versatility and flexibility. For almost the same price you may get actually the same features without hidden fees or extra charges not mentioning extended hosting offers for more complicated and heavyweight websites.
iPage vs Bluehost. The entry plan costs almost the same in both hosting providers. However, Bluehost offers flexible plans with no three-time higher renewal costs. Moreover, users with more complex and huge websites will find extended server solutions for different project types, while iPage optionally offers only WP-based plans.
The Bottom Line
Choosing between various budget hosting providers is pretty challenging. You need to take into account plenty of aspects to get what you actually expect. This is where both iPage and Bluehost perform pretty well. They may work out for various website types although the winner is obvious.
iPage is a good budget server solution though with some crucial issues to consider. It is not as affordable as it claims in addition to pretty low page load speed rate and other factors that are hardly in favor of this hosting if compared to its today’s rival.
Bluehost is the favorite in today’s one-on-one session with multiple planks and offers to meet different needs. It is a good option in terms of performance, security, and features. It is affordable enough to meet any budget as well as offer premium hosting solutions.
It is still up to you to decide, which one suits you most. However, when selecting a hosting provider, performance, security, and prices appear to be the most crucial issues to consider. From this point of view, Bluehost is certainly a better option.
Overview Comparison Chart