So, you’ve made up your mind to switch from WordPress to Wix. The reasons to do that might be numerous, but the algorithm of actions is nearly the same in all the cases. There are several steps you have to undertake to migrate your website to Wix. One of them is domain name transfer.
The thing is that, in the prevailing amount of cases, users already have their active website domain names. As a rule, they are pre-paid and bought from a certain domain host. Correspondingly, access to the domain’s settings can be found at the website’s registrar’s website.
What are the actions you can do to safely transfer the existing domain name from WordPress to Wix? Let’s review the most popular nuances now.
to Build Your Website!
Transferring Domain To Wix – Guidelines
As soon as you decide to become a Wix user, it doesn’t make any sense to host your domain with the third-party service. This is because you run a risk of forgetting or losing the access details. For this very reason, it is better to transfer your domain directly to Wix. There are several options to go for here, but the most reasonable and simple solution is to hire experts from SiteBuilders.pro.
The service employs a team of niche professionals, who are aware of all the nuances of the website transfer process as well as of major distinctions between Wix and WordPress. They approach each project individually to make sure all the website entities are moved correctly. When dealing with SiteBuilders.pro, you won’t have to bother about details and result in general – the service specialists will do everything for you.
If you still intend to complete the task independently, here are the steps to complete:
- Access the service and learn the general instructions.
- Enter the domain name and activate the “Submit” button.
- Browse the drop-down menu to choose a registrar to indicate the platform, where your domain name was bought.
- Follow the step-by-step guidelines and select the required checkboxes.
- Choose the extension period (when choosing Wix, mind that you’ll need to extend the existing domain by at least 1 year).
- Enter or edit your contact info.
- Choose the preferred privacy option – either private or public registration.
- Choose the suitable payment method.
- Submit information and complete the purchase. Activate the confirmation link in the email you’ll get and check the details.
Transferring a Domain to the Wix Name Servers
If you still have an intention to leave your domain name hosted with the external provider, but plan to migrate from WordPress to Wix, the algorithm of actions will somewhat differ. This is because you’ll face the need to connect the domain name to the Wix server. This is how this should be done:
- Prior to connecting your domain to Wix, mind that you’ll have to subscribe or upgrade to the Premium Plan.
- Access the “Domains” page.
- Activate the “Connect a Domain You Already Own” button (if you have the one connected to your account already, just click the “Add Domain” button and connect it).
- Select the website you’d like to be connected with your domain.
- Enter the preferred domain name under the section “What’s Your Domain Name?”
- Stick to the guidelines you’ll see further.
Transferring a Subdomain to a Wix Site When a Primary Domain Is Not Connected to Wix
Finally, there is one more popular option. If your WordPress website is connected to the subdomain like site.wordpress[.]com, but you’d like it to be connected to Wix, the following instruction is what you need:
- Upgrade to the Premium Plan to get started (see Wix tariffs in details).
- Add the existing subdomain to your Wix account.
- Set up the subdomain by adding the specified DNS records via your external domain host (mind that you will have to add the subdomain to the My Domains Wix account page).
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
These are the most widespread situations you might face, when deciding to transfer your WordPress domain to Wix. Looks confusing enough to you? Don’t worry, there are lots of services that can help you with the domain transfer. SiteBuilders.PRO is the most reliable among them. However, there are also three other options you might be interested in. Let’s have a quick overview of them now.
Connecting a Subdomain to a Wix Site
In case you possess two related websites in a single Wix account, it is possible to connect the domain of the second website to that of the first website via the subdomain. This may be applied, for example, to websites published in several languages, but mind that both websites should be managed under the terms of the Premium Plan.
To complete the task, access the user panel in your Wix account and activate the “Domains” section. Then add the domain and connect the second one. After that, specify the domain you wish to connect in the “What’s Your Domain Name?” section. Follow the tips you’ll be further offered.
Connecting a Subdomain to a Wix Site When the Primary Domain Is Connected to Wix via Pointing
Sometimes, there are situations, when a primary domain is connected to Wix via Pointing. If this is your case and you’d like to connect a subdomain to Wix, you’ll first have to register with the system and add it to your Wix account. That’s quite simple and quick.
As soon as you are done with that, set up your subdomain by specifying the DNS records via your external domain name host. The system will provide these records after you sign in.
Connecting Email Purchased Outside of Wix
While moving from WordPress to Wix, you have to take care of the proper migration of your email. That’s not quite easy to do, if your mailbox was initially registered outside of Wix. If so, then keep in mind that, in this case, all your email settings will be lost. To avoid this unpleasant situation, you’ll have to add the required records in your Wix account.
Before doing that, though, you have to make sure you have got a Premium Plan. Otherwise, domain name and, correspondingly, email transfer will be impossible. Another thing to do is to check, if you domain name is connected via the use of name servers (but not via pointing).
If it’s still connected via pointing, you have to contact your previous domain host to figure out and adjust the DNS records of the email provider you work with. Are you done with that? Then mind the must-have steps to undertake in order to connect your email to Wix:
- Choose the records of your email provider. To do that, you should initially access the My Domains page and click the expand arrow found next to your domain (if you run several domains at a time). If you have only one domain name, you may just pick it and proceed to the next step.
- Activate the “Mailboxes” tab.
- Find the “Change Settings” or “Configure Your MX Records” tabs and activate it.
- Reach the “Your Email Provider” drop-down list and choose the one you use. If it’s not on the list for some reason, click “Cancel” button and proceed to the next step to add the DNS records. Then click “OK”.
- Add the DNS records of your provider (if you canceled the previous action). With this purpose, get in touch with your email host to get the data you will require to connect your mailbox.
- Reach the My Domains page once again and choose the required domain from the offered list. If you have only one domain name, you may just pick it and proceed to the next step.
- Go ahead to add the DNS records you’ve got from your email host. To do that, activate the “Advanced” tab, click the “Edit DNS” section and the “Got It” tab. Then add (or edit) the required DNS records and save them.
- Click the “Mailboxes” tab and then click “Configure your MX records” or “Change Settings tabs.
- Reach the “Your Email Provider” drop-down list and pick the “Other” tab.
- Edit, delete or add your MX records and click the “OK” button.
Mind that, if you connect your domain name to Wix via the name servers, your existing DNS records will be automatically added in the system to bring down the potential mailbox downtime to the minimum.
to Transfer Your Domain and E-mail!
Connecting Your G Suite Email to Wix
If you own a business email address registered with G Suite, it is possible to access and manage it from your new Wix account as well. Having bought and set up the mailbox, you should sign into your admin mailbox to accept the agreement provided by GSuite. To get access to your mailbox afterwards, complete the following steps:
- Reach the My Mailboxes page.
- Explore the list of mailboxes provided there and click the one you are interested in.
- Click “Go to Mailbox” tab, if you are not signed into your Google account yet. If you are then you will be automatically redirected to your inbox.
- Sign into your mailbox, find and click the “Next” button, enter the password and finally click the “Sign In” tab.
In case you are currently signed into another account of your own, switch to the one you need in the right top corner of the page.
Wix is a simple universal website builder that comes with out-of-the-box functionality. It allows creating various types of websites without any special knowledge of coding or web design. No wonder, many WordPress users, who tend to simplify the web building process, adopt the decision to switch from this popular CMS to Wix.
Among the steps that should be done to complete the task, transferring the domain name is one of the most crucial and complicated points. The duration and complexity of the domain transfer process depends upon various factors. Correspondingly, more/less steps may be required to do that.
The article provides the overview of the major options as well as the steps you’ll need to undertake to make it a success. You can either complete the task on your own or hire SiteBuilders.pro experts to do that for you. The second solution is more preferable to the majority of users with little or no web design background. The service pros will explore your project nuances to come up with the best website transfer strategy.