Are you right about to switch your domain name from GoDaddy to Wix? The reasons for that might be numerous. You may be the owner of the GoDaddy domain name willing to move to Wix, for example, or you may simply be unsatisfied with the terms or pricing policy offered by the system. Whatever intentions and goals you are driven by, you will encounter a certain algorithm of actions to effectively complete the task.
There are several steps you’ll have to accomplish to make the entire process a success. What you should know, however, is that Wix makes it possible to choose the most favorable option that comes up to your needs.
You can either decide to transfer your GoDaddy domain name to Wix or connect it to your new Wix premium account. The difference between the options is crucial.
Domain transfer means that you will completely move it from one platform to another. When you decide to connect the domain name to Wix, however, this means that it will remain hosted with GoDaddy, but it will still be pointed to your new Wix website.
Whatever option you will eventually go for, you should realize that domain name transfer is the most responsible and, probably, the most challenging step to face and complete. Let’s see what you can do about each of these situations to handle them in the best way possible.
to Move Your Website!
GoDaddy to Wix Domain Transfer Guidelines
As soon as you decide to transfer your domain name from GoDaddy to Wix, you may either do that on your own or hire a team of web developers to do that for you. The latter option is more preferable, especially if you don’t have any web design background at all. SiteBuilders.pro will eagerly help you with your domain name migration process.
The service stands out from the crowd due to their professionalism, reputability and special attention to the details of each project. By reviewing your website specifications and your individual requirements, SiteBuilders.pro will complete the transfer process on their own to make sure all your project entities are moved correctly to display and function well on all the devices. This is what makes cooperation with the service the simplest solution. Just entrust the task with professionals and don’t bother about the result.
When you decide to completely transfer your GoDaddy website to Wix Premium account, you’ll have to realize that it will now become your only domain name registrar. In other words, all your domain contacts, DNS settings and sign up payments will be managed exclusively on your Wix account.
Mind, though, that domain transfer is applicable to those sites only, which are registered in certain zones. The major types of domain names you can transfer to Wix include .com, .org, .net, .biz, .info, .co, .tv, .guru, .email, .expert, .photography, .pictures, .space, .rocks .tokyo, .xyz., .company, .club, .solutions, .today, .technology, .tips, .center, .directory, .ninja, .photos, .land, .agency, .gift, .holiday, .christmas, .shop and .mx.
To initiate the domain transfer process, you should first get the authorization (EPP) code from your GoDaddy registrar. With this purpose, complete the following steps:
- Access your GoDaddy account;
- Click the username in the top corner of the page;
- Pick the “My Products” section and then tick the “Manage” tab next to the domain you are going to transfer;
- Find the “Additional Settings” section;
- Tick the “Get Authorization Code” tab. In case you own more than 6 domain names on the same account at a time, click the “Email My Code” tab.
Having done these steps, you’ll be sent the authorization code to the email address registered for your domain name. Keep in mind that if you’ve registered the domain name or changed its info recently, it will be unavailable for transfer during 60 days. In this case, you will still be allowed to connect it to your Wix account. This option will be discussed further.
How to Transfer the GoDaddy Domain to Wix
In order to transfer the GoDaddy domain name to Wix after the acquisition of the authorization code, you’ll have to follow the guidelines listed below:
- Upgrade to Wix Premium account and click the “Continue” button, having learnt the instructions;
- Provide the domain name you wish to transfer and then click the “Submit” button;
- Explore the drop-down menu to find the service the domain belongs to (in our case – this is GoDaddy) and then activate the “Continue” tab;
- Complete the guidelines the system generates and tick the required checkboxes;
- Choose the domain extension term (not less than one year);
- Edit your contacts, if needed, or leave them unchanged;
- Pick the privacy option to make your domain name info either private or public;
- Choose the preferred payment option and complete the purchase.
If you’ve done everything correctly, you’ll receive the email from email@example.com to the mailbox connected to your domain. Activate the confirmation link to finalize the transfer.
There is one crucial issue you should also be informed about: the entire process of domain name transfer may take up to 7 days to be fully completed.
We recommend, however, not to transfer your GoDaddy domain name to Wix right from the start, but to connect it to the new account first. This will be much quicker (around 48 hours) and will show you the advantages of running a Wix-based website.
What you should know prior to starting the domain name connection process is that Wix allows doing that in one of two ways. The first one implies the connection of the domain directly to Wix name servers, while the second one lets you connect the domain name via pointing method. What’s the difference and which option is more preferable? Read on to find that out right away.
Connecting Your GoDaddy Domain Name to Wix Name Servers
Prior to connecting your GoDaddy domain to Wix, do not forget to upgrade to one of the Premium plans the system offers. Then add your domain to Wix account in the following way:
- Access the “My Domains” section in your registered Wix account;
- Add the Domain by choosing the “Connect a domain your already own” tab;
- Update the DNS (domain name server) settings in your domain host account;
- Verify the domain connection info.
Having done that, go to your GoDaddy account and click the user profile button found in the top right corner of the screen. Pick the “My Products” section and click the DNS tab found to the right of the required domain name. Then complete the domain change in the Name Servers section, picking the required Custom tab in the drop-down menu. To complete the process, provide Wix Name Servers you’ve already set up and click the “Save” button.
Connecting Your GoDaddy Domain Name via Pointing
Connecting the GoDaddy domain name via pointing is the next option you can try. Just like in the previous point, you will have to upgrade to one of Wix Premium plans and add the domain to your Wix account, completing the aforementioned steps. Are you done with that? Then go ahead to complete the following guidelines:
- Access your GoDaddy account and click the user profile found in the top right corner to pick the “My Products” section;
- Reach the DNS settings in the right corner of your domain;
- Find and then add or edit the A record, which contains the @ sign in the corresponding name column, specifying the required GoDaddy Points;
- Save the info;
- Add/edit the CNAME info with “www” sign in the corresponding Host Name Column and then add the “Points to” address of your CNAME record in the corresponding field;
- Save the provided info once again.
This method of domain connection is more complicated and not that secure as the one listed above. Wix does not recommend it to its users because the system may be unable to help them with any DNS-related issues in case of necessity afterwards.
Connecting Email from GoDaddy to Wix
If you email was bought from GoDaddy and you wish to connect it directly to Wix without changing the address, you should initially check if you have already connected your domain name to Wix name servers. If you’ve connected the domain name via the pointing method, then you’ll have to contact the GoDaddy support team for assistance. In case you’ve initially used the first option, follow the steps listed below to connect your existing GoDaddy email to Wix:
- Sign in to your GoDaddy account, click the user profile icon in the top right corner of the screen and pick the “My Products ” section;
- Check, whether your domain goes under the Office 365 version – you can do that in the Email & Office section. If it doesn’t, then reach the “My Domains” page, pick the required domain and click the “Mailboxes” tab;
- Activate the “Configure your MX Records” or “Change Settings” tab;
- Click the drop-down “Your Email Provider” menu and pick GoDaddy from the provided list;
- Save the settings and complete the process of email set up in the GoDaddy account.
What if your domain does go under the Office 365 version? Then the following steps will be a must:
- Verify the fact that you already own the domain. To do that, get the TXT record from your Office 365 account and then add it to the DNS settings of your domain available in the Wix account.
- Configure the MX, CNAME, TXT, and SRV records in the Mailboxes tab of your account and then add them to the DNS settings of your domain name. Save the result.
Keep in mind that it generally takes around 15 minutes or so for the DNS edits to be activated. |In some cases, though, you may have to wait a bit longer.
to Move Your Website!
The process of domain name transfer is time-taking and quite challenging, especially when it comes to beginners. However, if you manage to consider all the steps of the procedure listed in the article, you’ll be able to avoid lots of problems and mistakes in the long run. This is not to mention the amount of time/effort you’ll invest into the domain transfer process.
Take your time to explore the details, recommendations and guidelines provided int hr post to make it a success!