Weebly and Wix are website builders, which are rightfully included into the list of the best web design platforms available in the modern website development niche. The systems make it possible to start and manage quality projects yet they target diverse audience types and focus on different aspects. Weebly is a DIY service, which has gained strong eCommerce focus after its acquisition by Square in 2018. Wix has made its name as the most popular all-in-one website builder that offers multiple design customization and functionality features.
The reasons to switch from Weebly to Wix may differ a lot. The fact that you have decided to change the platform does not mean that Weebly is not worth the attention. It’s all about your current web design endeavours, goals and intentions.
to Move Your Website!
How to Transfer a Website from Weebly to Wix – The Ultimate Guide:
If you have made up your mind to migrate from Weebly to Wix, there are multiple issues to consider. These include the domain name, hosting, content and SEO positions. It’s high time now to find out how complicated the process of switching to Wix may be and who can benefit from it.
1. Moving Website from Weebly to Wix – Is it Worth It?
The most widespread causes to switch from Weebly to Wix are as follows:
- As the all-in-one website builder, Wix grants more creative freedom, letting you expand your business and target the right audience with regard to your needs;
- When it comes to regular website updates, Wix proves to be an easier and a more convenient platform as compared to Weebly;
- Irrespective of the business type you run, you may face the need to manage the project on a powerful yet simple platform – Wix lets you design any type of website, be it a blog, a web store, a business website, a portfolio or what not;
- Finally, you may be just unsatisfied with some of the features Weebly offers – switching to Wix may solve the problems.
Whatever causes you have to switch from Weebly to Wix, this will be the right solution, if you properly weigh all the pros and cons. Wix is quite a powerful alternative to Weebly, which lets you complete a broad spectrum of web design tasks, targeting diverse audience types.
2. Weebly versus Wix – What Is the Difference?
Weebly and Wix both are two quality and feature-rich website builders, each of which occupies its special place in the rating of the best web design platforms. The systems make it possible to start different types of websites with regard to users’ needs. They also work well for newbies and proficient web designers, offering powerful features to both user categories. Irrespective of their popularity and recognition, Weebly and Wix still target diverse user categories as each of them comes with its own feature set, integration options, design customization tools and other parameters.
Wix is a simpler and more convenient solution, especially for beginners, who might lack skills and experience to launch complex projects from scratch. Wix stands out from the crowd due to its powerful focus on the needs and skills of users. It comes with a drag-and-drop editing option, offering an intuitive web design approach. What’s more, Wix boasts an advanced ADI tool that lets even non-techies create their web projects in the automated mode, getting a worthy result. The website builder delivers flexible integration options, granting access to free and paid apps available in its App Market. As to Weebly, it also allows integrating widgets from its App Center, using high end marketing tools, video integration and image editing options as well as other handy tools and features. However, its functionality is not that extensive as compared to Wix.
Both website builders come with blogging and eCommerce engines, making it possible to launch and manage blogs and online stores. In this respect, Weebly has more to offer due to its powerful eCommerce focus. This is good for users who already own or just plan to create online stores. However, if your web design endeavours have nothing to do with web store creation, it makes sense to give preference to Wix as a more flexible and all-in-one web design solution.
When it comes to design customization, Wix has much more to offer as well. The website builder abounds in high end mobile-ready designs that are free, niche-specific and completely customizable. Weebly cannot offer such an extensive template selection, although, the quality of its designs is on quite a high level.
To sum it up, Weeby and Wix both rank high in terms of functionality, design customization and pricing. It’s just that each system works best for a certain range of tasks.
3. How to Migrate from Weebly to Wix – Step-by-Step Guide
You should keep in mind that there is no automatic transfer in Weebly. So, get ready to export your files and upload them to Wix manually. These are the steps to be followed to make it a success:
- Go to your Weebly account and access the dashboard of your website. Click the “Edit Site” button and wait until it loads.
- Go to website settings and find the “Archive” section. Create ZIP archive of your website files and email it to the required address.
- Go to your email and download ZIP archive to your desktop. Save the file to further export it to your new Wix website.
- Reach Wix dashboard, open Wix Editor, replicate the general website layout and import the unpacked files and content there.
- Check the positions of your new website in the search engines as this is one of the major indicators of successful website switch. What you should do is to copy and check the URLs, set up 301 redirects for those URLs that cannot be transferred for some reason, copy and set up meta tags (titles and descriptions) for all pages as well as alt tags for all images.
This is all about content transfer. The next and one of the most important things to do is to move your domain name to Wix website builder. The list of the must-have steps is provided below.
4. How to Transfer Own Domain Name from Weebly to Wix
To move your domain name from Weebly to Wix, you’ll have to unlock it first and get the EPP Code. Mind that you’ll be allowed to do that, if it’s already been 60 days since the domain registration date. You should also understand that the very fact of domain transfer doesn’t mean that you should also change the hosting provider. If your website is hosted with Weebly or any other hosting company, you can leave this unchanged.
- Access your Weebly account and disable the registrar lock. This will be the first step to transferring the domain name. Keep in mind that when you make this change, your WHOIS privacy protection won’t be valid as well.
- Reach the Domains Page and select the domain you’d like to transfer. You’ll be offered all the available options. Click the “Disable” link available under the Registrar Lock icon. Right after that you’ll see the EPP authorization code next to the link. If you suddenly change your mind, you can always reactivate the lock and hide the EPP code by simply activating the Enable link. Memorize your EPP code as you’ll have to specify it, when registering your domain with Wix.
- Sign up for Wix Combo or Unlimited Plan (cheaper plans don’t allow for domain move). Go to the control panel of the system and explore the instructions.
- Now, it is high time to enter the EPP code you’ve got from Weebly. As soon as you do that, click the “Submit” button.
- You’ll see the drop-down menu offering the detailed guidelines.
- Follow them to complete the rest of the process.
- Extend your domain name registration (the minimal time period is a year, not less).
- Provide your contact info, if you haven’t done that yet.
- Now, it is high time to select the privacy option that comes up to your needs most of all. Wix offers Private and Public registration. In case you select the latter solution, your domain name will be open in the WHOIS info records.
- Choose the payment option, which fits your budget most of all and make it a deal.
If you do everything properly, you’ll get the confirmation email link. Activate it and get ready to transfer your website content.
to Move Your Website!
5. Professional Weebly to Wix Migration Services
Actually, there is nothing too complicated about the website migration process, if you are familiar with the must-have steps of it. But what about first-time users, who have never done that before? If you belong to this user category, you can choose one of two options: DIY website migration or hiring a professional.
If your web design proficiency is on quite a high level, you may try moving your Weebly-based project to Wix on your own. Guidelines listed above will help you with that, ensuring maximum convenience and time economy. But what if you are not a coding pro? Does it make sense wasting your effort and time without being sure about the result?
A far better solution is to hire a professional, who will handle the task for you. This is where SiteBuilders.PRO experts will provide you with the required support. They are not only proficient in website development issues, but they are also aware of the must-have steps the process involves. They have the firsthand knowledge of the challenges you may encounter during website transfer as well as of the steps that should be done to avoid them.
Switching from Weebly to Wix may take some time only because you lack corresponding experience. With so many must-have aspects the process involves, the risk of overlooking them is quite high. Each of the platforms has its own nuances and parameters that just cannot be left underestimated and may have serious influence upon the result.
And one more thing: don’t deactivate your Weebly website until you make sure the migration process was correct and your new Wix-based website works well. To sum it all up, the process of switching from Weebly to Wix itself is not complicated. Just follow the steps mentioned above to make it a success.