Weebly and Shopify are two renowned website builders that have much in common. Both systems make it possible to create, manage and successfully promote eCommerce websites. While Shopify has always been and now remains a full-featured eCommerce website builder, Weebly has gained this functionality comparatively not long ago, namely after its acquisition by Square in 2018. The website builder is definitely a worthy system, which allows creating functional and visually appealing web stores. When it comes to eCommerce websites, though, Shopify is rightfully considered the unspeakable leader.
Obviously, Shopify is a more flexible and feature-laden eCommerce website builder as compared to its rival. The need to move from Weebly to Shopify is often explained by the intensive development of your online store as well as the product range you sell. While the product assortment increases, you’ll need more space to effectively organize the trading process. This is when Shopify comes into play.
Weebly vs Shopify – an in-depth comparison.
Can You Cope With Switching on Your Own?
If you feel that you won’t be able to cope with the task independently or you are pressed for time to do that yet are ready to invest into professional assistance, then hiring an expert really makes sense. Being aware of all the nuances of both platforms, this person will complete the transfer much quicker and with higher efficacy. What’s more, you will be able to contact the specialist if there is something wrong with your new website after the migration.
DIY website transfer is a simpler solution as it lets you use one of the specialized services, which were created with this very purpose in mind. These tools can help you migrate between the services in quite a short period of time, but they are not always able to move all the website elements and they do not always consider serious and minor nuances of the services you switch between.
What you should know is that not all the files and website elements are moved automatically. There are those that remain at the previous platform and require manual transfer. Whether you want it or not, you will still have to transfer them independently.
So, why don’t you switch from Weebly to Shopify on your own to be ultimately sure about the quality and safety of the project migration process? Here is a detailed overview of the plan and the must-have steps of Weebly-to-Shopify migration process.
How to Switch from Weebly to Shopify: a Detailed Guide
Phase 1. Content Transfer
- Prior to transferring the content, take your time to explore general Shopify settings.
- Import your Weebly data to Shopify. You can go two ways here: either by using an easy automated migration service like Cart2Cart or by manually exporting/importing the required files. The latter option takes more time, but it is also considered more secure. It makes sense to use it, if you have more than 20 products in stock, product info stored in another system and if you are going to make regular product updates.
- When exporting your Weebly store manually, the entire product information will be placed into a CSV spreadsheet app. Export your products into this file.
- Go to your Shopify account and import the files from your CSV file in the required section. Review the uploaded file then as well as the products to make sure they have transferred correctly.
- Check whether the products are organized as you wish in Shopify. If needed, add lacking product parameters (names, images, descriptions, meta descriptions etc.).
If you feel that your web store is missing certain applications, you can find some of them in Shopify App market. The apps available there are free and paid.
- Take your time to customize your new Shopify store. There are plenty of designs you can find there. Select any of them and make use of other tools to give your website unique look.
Phase 2. Domain Transfer
To point your domain name from Weebly to Shopify, you need to go to the Domains Tab section in your Weebly account to get the authorization code and edit the DNS settings.
Reach the settings section and click the “Domains” field. Find the domain name you are interested in and uncheck the ”Lock Domain” button. You’ll be offered the transfer key in the control panel.
Right after that, sign up for Shopify and access the DNS settings to make the required edits. Import the activation code you’ve got from Weebly.
If you are going to sell physical products, you’ll have to set up shipping info, payment and tax details. They can be adjusted in the dashboard of your Shopify online store. If you don’t need this option and plan to sell digital products and services instead, it is possible to deactivate the shipping option here as well.
As soon as you are done with all the steps of the migration process, you can proceed to testing your web store and waiting for the results.
Switching from Weebly to Shopify doesn’t seem to be simple, no matter how experienced you are. There are lots of aspects to be considered here as each platform comes with its own characteristics and special features, which may have impact upon the migration process.
Whatever platform you will switch to, the process will consist of 2 stages: domain name and content transfer. And there is one more thing you should not underestimate: don’t deactivate your Weebly website until you make sure the migration process was a success and your new Shopify-based website functions well, with all the elements and features preserved. Hopefully, our guide will bring all the migration-related troubles to the minimum, ensuring high end result in the long run.