Weebly and Shopify are two renowned web design platforms that have much in common. Both systems make it possible to create, manage and successfully promote eCommerce websites. While Shopify has always been and now remains a full-featured eCommerce website builder, Weebly has gained this functionality comparatively not long ago, namely after its acquisition by Square in 2018. The website builder is definitely a worthy system, which allows creating functional and visually appealing web stores. When it comes to eCommerce websites, though, Shopify is rightfully considered the unspeakable leader.
Obviously, Shopify is a more flexible and feature-laden eCommerce website builder as compared to its rival. The need to move from Weebly to Shopify is often explained by the intensive development of your online store as well as the product range you sell. While the product assortment increases, you’ll need more space to effectively organize the trading process. This is when Shopify comes into play.
to Move Your Website!
How to Transfer a Website from Weebly to Shopify – The Ultimate Guide:
When you decide to switch from Weebly to Shopify, you should clearly realize what exactly you expect to avail in the long run. Likewise, you should understand that there are multiple nuances you need to consider while preparing for the migration and during the completion of the task. The better you get ready for the process, the easier and the more effective the result will be. Apart from moving website content, you also need to transfer other website entities, including domain name. This is required to preserve your current SEO positions and retain traffic. Read on to find out more about the important nuances of Weebly to Shopify migration.
1. Moving Website from Weebly to Shopify – Is It Worth It?
The major objective here pursued by the majority of web store owners is the desire to reach new markets, generate more profits and find new customers/partners. In other words, if you wish to grow your business, moving from Weebly to Shopify will be a reasonable solution. Other reasons to decide in favor of the migration process are as follows:
- Along with your web store development, you will eventually face the need to increase the stock of products you offer for sale as well as the traffic amount – Shopify provides such a possibility;
- As your business grows, your income will increase as well, triggering the need for more effective product/web store management – as a powerful eCommerce platform, Shopify unveils extensive options in this respect;
- While exploring and using Weebly website builder, you may encounter various challenges or figure out the features you don’t like about the system – the best solution in this case is to move to a more feature-rich platform.
No matter what reasons you have to move from Weebly to Shopify, this will be a reasonable solution that will provide you with multiple advantages. It’s no secret that Shopify is a full-featured eCommerce software, which ranks high in the list of modern web design systems. In fact, this is the best eCommerce software in the world, although, Weebly also has much to offer in this respect.
2. Weebly versus Shopify – What Is the Difference?
Weebly and Shopify are both powerful eCommerce web design platforms, which make it possible to start quality, feature-rich and impressive online stores. Strong eCommerce specialization of these systems, however, makes them worthy competitors. At the same time, each service comes with distinctive feature sets and tools that makes it a worthy solution for a particular target audience. While Weebly works best for small and medium online stores, Shopify is mostly used for the development of large eCommerce projects. Let’s see, what else differs the systems from each other and affects users’ choice.
Weebly and Shopify are both quite easy to master yet it takes more time to explore the software due to a more extensive feature set and more feature-rich dashboard. At the same time, it offers informative tips that simplify the process of working with the system, especially for first-time users.
Special attention should be given to the integrated eCommerce functionality the systems deliver by default. Weebly features distinctive flexibility and intuitive web design approach. It lets you start and run web stores, granting access to multiple features and tools. These include built-in shopping cart, rich inventory/product management tools, flexible shipping and payment options, order and inventory tracking solutions, opportunity to sell physical/digital products, availability of templates and search filter option, convenient and easy product management and upload process, CSV file import/export, handy email marketing approach, blogging platform etc.
Shopify, in its turn, offers a more extensive functionality. Apart from the options offered by Weebly, the software stands out from the crowd due to its integrated POS software, secure payment options, integration with world-known marketplaces, Augmented Reality tool, enhanced anti-fraud protection, multichannel/multilanguage support and many more.
When it tackles the design aspect, Weebly and Shopify have much to offer. The website builder provides 3 design solutions, making it possible to choose and customize ready-made templates, themes created by third-party web developers and a blank template that can be edited from scratch. Shopify has 9 free templates and 64 premium themes, which are responsive and feature high end quality.
As to the cost aspect, Weebly and Shopify are reasonably-priced systems. They offer a number of plans to come up to various web design needs and user requirements. Everyone can pick a suitable pricing option here.
To sum it up, both platforms make it possible to start quality online stores with distinctive integrated functionality. Shopify, however, delivers more extensive eCommerce options that let you launch and run stunning and feature-rich web stores to come up to various needs.
3. How to Migrate from Weebly to Shopify – Step-by-Step Guide
The process of website migration encompasses several steps that fall into two main stages, namely content and domain name transfer. Each stage has to be completed with maximum attention not to overlook important details. Let’s focus on content migration first:
- Prior to transferring the content, take your time to explore general Shopify settings.
- Export your Weebly data to Shopify. You can go two ways here: either by using a specialized migration service or by manually exporting/importing the required files. The latter option takes more time, but it is also considered more secure. It makes sense to use it, if you have more than 20 products in stock, product info stored in another system and if you are going to make regular product updates.
- When exporting your Weebly store manually, the entire product information will be placed into a CSV spreadsheet app. Export your products into this file.
- Go to your Shopify account and import the files from your CSV file in the required section. Review the uploaded file then as well as the products to make sure they have transferred correctly.
- Check whether the products are organized as you wish in Shopify. If needed, add lacking product parameters (names, images, descriptions, meta descriptions etc.).
- If you feel that your web store is missing certain applications, you can find some of them in the Shopify App market. The apps available there are free and paid.
- Take your time to customize your new Shopify online store. There are plenty of designs you can find there. Select any of them and make use of other tools to give your website unique look.
Make sure all the steps are completed correctly to provide proper web store display and performance afterwards. As soon as you are done with that, you can proceed to domain name migration.
4. How to Transfer Own Domain Name from Weeby to Shopify
When moving a domain name from Weebly to Shopify, you may either connect it to the software or completely transfer it. This depends on the current domain hosting you have. Thus, if your web store is hosted with a third-party provider, you won’t have another choice but to connect it to Shopify. In case your website is hosted with Weebly, you will have an opportunity to completely transfer it to the platform. Let’s discuss each option in details now.
Connecting Your Own Domain Name to Shopify
If you have bought a domain name from the third-party provider, you can connect it to Shopify without transferring it completely. This can be done via pointing to the DNS records of your Weebly website. The list of steps will be as follows:
- Get the relevant DNS info from the domain control section in your Weebly Dashboard;
- Reach Shopify support center or host to notify then that you intend to point a domain name without changing name servers. As soon as you do that, go to the “Domains” section in your Weebly account and pick the relevant domain (if you own several of them);
- Edit DNS settings and delete/update your CNAME records. After that, delete/update your A records.
- Save the updated DNS records and check the way your Weebly domain has connected to Shopify.
Transferring Your Weebly Domain Name to Shopify
If your web store is hosted with Weebly, the list of steps will differ from that mentioned above. Have a look at it now:
- Go to the Domains Tab section in your Weebly account to get the authorization code and edit the DNS settings;
- Reach the settings section and click the “Domains” field. Find the domain name you are interested in and uncheck the ”Lock Domain” button. You’ll be offered the transfer key in the control panel;
- Sign up for Shopify and access the DNS settings to make the required edits;
- Import the activation code you’ve got from Weebly;
- If you are going to sell physical products, you’ll have to set up shipping info, payment and tax details. They can be adjusted in the dashboard of your Shopify online store. If you don’t need this option and plan to sell digital products and services instead, it is possible to deactivate the shipping option here as well.
As soon as you are done with all the steps of the migration process, you can proceed to testing your web store and waiting for the results.
to Move Your Website!
5. Professional Weebly to Shopify Migration Services
DIY website transfer is a simpler solution as it lets you use one of the specialized services, which were created with this very purpose in mind. These tools can help you migrate between the services in quite a short period of time, but they are not always able to move all the website elements and they do not always consider serious and minor nuances of the services you switch between.
What you should know is that not all the files and website elements are moved automatically. There are those that remain at the previous platform and require manual transfer. Whether you want it or not, you will still have to transfer them independently and this is what frequently poses problems, especially for newbies.
If you feel that you won’t be able to cope with the task independently or you are pressed for time to do that yet are ready to invest into professional assistance, you can choose from 2 migration options here. The first one implies the use of the automated Cart2Cart Shopping Cart Migration service. It will smoothly transfer your Weebly web store entities (products, customers, media files etc.) to Shopify platform. No special coding skills or effort are required to do that.
Another option is hiring an expert. This is where the help of SiteBuilders.PRO specialists will definitely come in handy. Being aware of all the nuances of both platforms, they will complete the transfer much quicker and with higher efficacy. What’s more, you will be able to contact the specialist, if there is something wrong with your new website after the migration.
Switching from Weebly to Shopify doesn’t seem to be simple, no matter how experienced you are. There are lots of aspects to be considered here as each platform comes with its own characteristics and special features, which may have impact upon the migration process.
Whatever platform you will switch to, the process will consist of 2 stages: domain name and content transfer. To make it a success, you can either try to switch between the platforms on your own or use professional third-party assistance. This is where you may use the automated Cart2Cart Shopping Cart Migration service or expert help of SiteBuilders.PRO specialists. Both options are worth your attention.
There is one more thing you should not underestimate: don’t deactivate your Weebly website until you make sure the migration process was a success and your new Shopify-based website functions well, with all the elements and features preserved. Hopefully, our guide will bring all the migration-related troubles to the minimum, ensuring high end result in the long run.