Volusion and Shopify are two representatives of the eCommerce niche. The website builders make it possible to start and effectively manage different types of web stores that differ in their parameters, performance, size and integrated functionality. However, there are some crucial reasons to switch from Volusion to Shopify.
The first and foremost reason that can make you decide in favor of Volusion to Shopify migration is the development of your web store. Volusion definitely lags behind Shopify in terms of functionality and reputability. This means that if you have started an eCommerce project with this website builder and you plan to expand it in the long run, it would be undoubtedly reasonable to migrate to Shopify.
Secondly, it’s simply impossible to ignore the fact that Volusion has recently declared that it faces financial problems. According to the statement made by the company managers, Volusion currently encounters the need to “address its unstable capital structure involving matured debt”.
That’s the reason of why they have filed for the company recapitalization. Even though, they underline that Volusion is still open for business, its customers feel insecure about the future of their web stores. As a result, many of them are seeking for quality eCommerce alternatives and this is where Shopify comes into play. To clarify the details of the potential website transfer, it’s high time to discuss the main options you will be offered to choose from.
1. Moving Website from Volusion to Shopify – Is it Worth It?
The reasons stated above make it possible to suggest that moving your web store from Volusion to Shopify has multiple advantages. It’s no wonder as the platform has distinguished itself as the best eCommerce software in the contemporary web design market. This fact speaks in favor of its reputability and professionalism, triggering the desire of web store owners to switch to the platform.
Shopify works great for all types of eCommerce projects and it also targets diverse user categories, irrespective of their web design proficiency and expertise rate. The system lets you start small and large-scale online stores, which differ in product assortment, specialization, management and promotions possibilities.
If you are right about to move from Volusion to Shopify, take your time to consider several must-have factors to make the migration process hassle-free and smooth. Along with content transfer, you will have to take care of domain name and hosting transfer as well as or preservation of current SEO positions of your project.
2. Volusion Versus Shopify – What Is the Difference?
Volusion and Shopify are two popular eCommerce web building platforms used to start quality and feature-laden online stores. The platforms, however, differ in their functionality and design customization tools as well as in pricing options offered.
Volusion is an eCommerce website builder, the integrated functionality of which is geared towards web store set up and further management. This is nor the easiest specialized platform you can find out there as it takes effort and time to master the system. However, Volusion abounds in eCommerce features you can use to start a functional online store.
Shopify is the undeniable leader of the eCommerce market. It’s quite complicated, especially for first-timers as it even resembles CMS, when it tackles the functionality aspect. No coding skills are required to work with the software, but this doesn’t mean that it is easy to master it right from the start. The platform abounds in design customization, web store promotion, marketing and tax solutions. You can sell physical and digital products with the system, setting up web store parameters.
The system grants an extensive selection of eCommerce templates, widgets and apps to enhance your project design and performance. All in all, Shopify functionality is quite extensive and advanced – just follow the guidelines the system generates to make your web store creation process a success. As to the pricing aspect, Shopify offers several subscriptions, the cost of which is somewhat higher as compared to its major noche competitors. However, the system is definitely worth the investment, considering its powerful functionality, reputability and security.
3. How to Switch from Volusion to Shopify – The Ultimate Guide
If you have an intention to switch from Volusion to Shopify, take your time to stick to the guide listed below. This is the surefire was to complete all the must-have steps with maximum efficacy:
- Register with Shopify and have a look at the major platform settings.
- Import your Volusion web store data to Shopify. You can choose between two options here. The first one is to use special eCommerce migration apps, which simplify the process, making it automated and absolutely hassle-free for everyone. There are several services you can go for. The most popular of them include Cart2Cart, Product Reviews, Bull Discounts and more. The second option implies manual transfer of your web store data. This is done by exporting products along with customer lists into CSV files to further import them into your new Shopify website.
- Check your product organization. This is an important step, which lets you make sure about proper transfer of your web store assets. Don’t overlook this step, if you have used a website migration service. If there are any products missing, you will be able to add and update the required details. These include product names, parameters, descriptions and other crucial data.
- Use special inventory applications, if you are not sure that you will be able to track the product stock on your own. This helps you avoid problems associated with your web store inventory list.
- Proceed to web store customization. As soon as you are done with your web store transfer, you may proceed to the website customization process. Shopify grants access to myriads of design settings – just explore them and pick those that contribute to your web store requirements and functionality.
This is about all, which concerns the process of moving your Volusion web store content to Shopify. The process is not that complicated at it may seem yet it requires special attention to details. Upon the completion of content transfer, you may proceed to the next stage of the website migration process – domain name transfer.
4. How to Transfer Own Domain Name from Volusion to Shopify
Domain name migration is one of the most important, responsible and crucial steps of the entire web store transfer process. To make sure your domain name migration is a success, consider the following options.
Transferring Your Volusion Domain to Shopify
If you already own a domain name purchased from Volusion and you don’t plan to change it to preserve your web store data, have a look at the list of steps to complete to safely transfer it to Shopify. Keep in mind that if your current domain name is free, this doesn’t mean that it would remain the same after the transfer. It’s up to your domain name provider to charge or not to charge fees for the prolongation period.
If you plan to transfer the domain name registered in another zone, it’s strongly recommended to review the migration terms in advance. In case there is a G Suite account attached to your current domain, you will have to adjust your MX records to avoid your email termination. Have a look at the step-by-step plan that will help transfer your domain to Shopify with ease:
- Login with Volusion to get access to your domain name settings. This is where you will have to unlock it to reach the authorization code.
- Choose the domain name you intend to transfer (if there are several of them there) and unlock it. You will be offered the transfer key you need to memorize or put down somewhere.
- Reach your DNS data available in the corresponding section and adjust the required settings or make the must-have updates.
- Set up the required parameters. If you intend to offer physical products for sale, go ahead to set up the required parameters. These include payment, tax and shipping info. In case you plan to sell digital products only, you should obviously omit shipping settings.
As soon as you are done with your domain name transfer settings, you may proceed to testing your web store to make sure domain migration was a success.
Transferring Your Own Domain to Shopify
If you have a web store powered by Volusion, this doesn’t mean that you should definitely get the domain name from the system. Instead, you can buy a domain name from the third-party provider. If so, you will also be able to transfer it to Shopify. There are two options available here. The first one is the direct transfer of your domain name, while the second one is domain connection. To pick the most suitable option, take your time to explore both opportunities.
When it comes to transferring your domain name, you should keep in mind that its further management will be automatically entrusted with Shopify. This means that you will have to set up our domain name parameters, make the required payments and adjust prolongation options in the Shopify admin panel. By the way, you should also make sure that your domain name registration period has exceeded 60 days. Otherwise, it won’t be viable for transfer at all. Having completed these steps, proceed to the following actions:
- Check the transfer policy offered by the domain name provider. If you are not sure where to get it, get in touch with the help center of the service;
- Adjust the domain name settings required for web store transfer. To do this, access your domain name details and check, whether the email associated with it is active. This is a must have step as you will have to make email confirmations on different stages of the domain transfer process.
- Receive the authorization code provided by the domain name platform.
- Login with Shopify, access its administrative panel, reach the “Online Stores” section and then proceed to the “Domains” tab;
- Activate the “Connect existing domain” button and then click the “Transfer in your domain” button;
- Activate the “Transfer Domain” button afterwards and find the domain name you would like to transfer to the new Shopify account. As soon as you do that, click “Next” and then “Verify Domain” button. If you cope with these steps properly, your domain will be ready for transfer and you will get a message confirming this fact. To complete the process, click the “Next” button. If there is something wrong with your domain anime connection, you will have to get back to the settings to check them once again.
- Receive your authorization code and enter it in the new account to complete the procedure of domain name migration.
Keep in mind that the entire process of domain name transfer may take up to 20 days after you approve it. As soon as it is completed, Shopify will send you a confirmation message.
Connecting Your Own Domain Name to Shopify
Another alternative option that lets you migrate your domain name to Shopify implies its connection to the account or pointing to the new Shopify online store. If you pick this solution, your customers will be redirected to your web store after they enter the custom URL. As a domain name owner, you will be responsible for making payments as well as managing/renewing the domain.
Based on the domain name registrar you will go for, you may be offered additional guidelines on how to connect the existing domain to Shopify platform. If you don’t receive any instructions, go ahead to use standard steps Shopify recommends for completion:
- Add the custom domain name to your Shopify project to confirm the fact of its ownership;
- Access the administrative panel of the platform and then reach the “Online Store” tab along with the “Domains” section;
- Activate the “Connect Existing Domain” button and type the domain you wish to connect.
- Find the domain you wish to point to Shopify. Mind that you will need to edit DNS settings, if you’ve got the domain anime from the third-party provider. This means that your A record should point to the IP address of the system, that is, 220.127.116.11. Your www CNAME should point to shops.myshopify.com. Try to avoid manual editing of these settings not to affect other steps and processes.
- Save the settings and confirm the fact of domain name connection by activating the link you will receive in the email.
Your domain will be completely transferred in about 48 hours after the confirmation.
5. Professional Volusion to Shopify Migration Services
When you get the idea to switch from Volusion to Shopify, you frequently don’t imagine all the problems and nuances you may encounter to make the process a success. Most users focus on the migration of the main website elements without considering domain-related hassle. As you try to complete these steps, you face multiple aspects you couldn’t even think about ina advance. This is where many users start looking for qualified assistance.
Speaking about website migration alternatives, there are two options to choose from. The first one is to use special tools/programs. There are many of them available online, but not all of them are worth user attention. Such programs are mostly not reliable as you run a risk of facing mistakes, which may eventually threat your web store safety and proper performance. These tools are not cheap, which means that you may just lose your money without getting adequate result you count on.
To prevent such situations, it makes sense to hire professional services like Cart2Cart, which is currently the best in the niche. They work with qualified web developers only, who guide each client through all the stages of the web store migration process. They have the first hand knowledge of what the migration process requires as well as of special characteristics of each platform.
A nice alternative to these solutions is hiring a web design pro or dealing with freelancers, who focus exclusively on Shopify projects. They will handle all the nuances of the migration process with attention to details and special awareness of all the problems you might encounter. What you will have to do is to entrust them with your project and control the result. An important issue is that you will be able to stay in touch with these specialists even upon the project transfer. This allows avoiding potential problems afterwards or fixing them on time.
It’s up to you to decide, which website transfer option will work best for you. Consider their special nuances and explore the detailed guides to figure out the best solution you will be satisfied with.
Shopify is a perfect alternative to Volusion as the eCommerce software abounds in niche-specific features that make it possible to start professional projects. It works great for all types of web stores, irrespective of their functionality, size and complexity. No wonder, the platform enjoys popularity with the owners of Volusion-based web stores, who intend to switch to Shopify for a variety of reasons.
When it tackles the web store transfer process, there are lots of nuances to consider to make it a success. You can try to switch between the platforms on your own using the detailed steps listed in our guide. However, if you are not sure about your expertise rate or if you just lack time for DIY web store migration, it really makes sense to hire professionals.
This is where you may choose between automated specialized services like Cart2Cart or assistance of qualified web designers, who will complete the task for you. Both options have their pros and cons. So, take your time to weigh all the nuances and give it a try.