Squarespace and Wix are two popular website builders, which differ a lot in terms of web design approach, feature set, functionality and target audience. While Squarespace is mainly focused on the needs of creatives and entrepreneurs, Wix provides creative freedom and extensive range of tools and features to cover the needs of diverse user categories.
The fact that you decide to switch from Squarespace to Wix does not mean that one of these platforms is better than another. It’s just the matter of your preferences, objectives and, what’s more important, current web design needs.
Content is another must-have factor to keep in mind and it’s also one of the most important elements in the process of website migration. Are you ready to cope with all the bells and whistles of your website transfer process? Then it’s high time to discuss it in details.
Squarespace to Wix Website Transfer: Professional or DIY?
The very first thing you should define is the most effective way to complete the task. It doesn’t matter, whether you have already done that before or this is your first try, there are always lots of doubts associated with the process. What you should realize is that both website builders are not open-source platforms. Correspondingly, they don’t allow for easy code access and transfer. As a result, it’s impossible to move your Squarespace website automatically.
Thus, you’ll have to do that manually and this is where you will encounter another crucial problem: professional or DIY migration. These are only two possible variants to successfully switch from one platform to another without losing your website content, domain name and other essential must-have elements.
If you have web design background, then you may definitely try to handle the project independently. But what’s the sense of wasting your effort and time, if you are a newbie? In this case, it’s definitely more reasonable to hire a professional, who will do that for you. Let’s quickly review the pros and cons of both options now.
Hiring the Professionals
When it comes to website migration, involving professionals seems to be a more reasonable and logical solution. Here is why. Web design pros, who are already experienced in switching websites between the platforms, have the firsthand knowledge of all the steps and special aspects of each and every service. They know for sure what to expect from this or that system and how to overcome the problems you may potentially face throughout the process.
As a result, you save time and effort, but you should get ready to invest into this job. Another advantage of the method is that you won’t be left alone afterwards. If there are any unexpected problems, bugs or other difficulties, you’ll always have an opportunity to contact the specialists, who will help you handle the problem in the best way possible and with minimum time/effort investment.
DIY Website Transfer
Are you sure that you have enough web design expertise and knowledge to migrate your website from Squarespace to Wix independently? Then you are welcome to do that on your own without spending your money. However get ready to invest your time and effort instead. If you are right about to initiate the process of manual website transfer, then review the details of the procedure in the guideline listed below.
How to Switch from Squarespace to Wix – The Ultimate Guide
Phase 1. Content Transfer
The entire process takes a few hours. Here are the must-have steps to follow to effectively complete the task:
- Sign up for Wix and explore the platform in details.
- Go to your Squarespace account and reach the dashboard with all the files available there. Export the files into the ZIP archive and then store it on your computer.
- Access Wix dashboard and open the Editor. Create the standard website layout, trying to stick to your website design. Then import the unpacked archived files and content.
- As soon as you are done with your content transfer, you may focus on website customization. Wix offers lots of high quality designs – just pick the one that comes up to your niche most of all and go ahead to customize it. There is a convenient preview button that lets you attentively explore the templates you are interested in.
- Having coped with content transfer, don’t forget to check your website positions in the search engine results to be sure you’ve not lost them. To check if everything is ok, don’t forget to copy and review website URLs. If it’s impossible to transfer some URLs manually for any reason, set up redirects for these pages. Then set up or copy meta tags (these are titles and descriptions) for all pages as well as alt tags for images available at these pages.
Phase 2. Squarespace to Wix Domain Transfer
The process of website migration does not go down to content transfer only. To make sure your project will regain its positions in the search engines and will not lose traffic, you have to move your domain name from Squarespace to Wix. Mind, however, that you will be able to do that, if your domain was registered with the website builder more than 60 days ago.
In case you decide to transfer a free domain, you should know that Wix may charge fees for its use, depending upon the plan you will subscribe. What’s more, the developers of the system note that the very process of domain name migration is not immediate – in some cases, it may take up to 7 days to complete it. Here is a detailed guide to help you cope with domain transfer with ease.
- Unlock the Domain. Reach Squarespace Home Menu, find “Settings” and then click the “Domains” section to pick the one you wish to move. Scroll down to and uncheck the “Lock Domain” box.
- Get the Domain Transfer Key. Right after you unlock the domain, go to the bottom part of the panel, where you will see the “Get Transfer Key” button. Click it to copy the domain name transfer key you’ll be offered. You will need this key (which is also known as the EPP or authorization code), when authorizing the domain switch with Wix.
- Transfer the Domain Name. Access Wix control panel and sign up for Wix Combo or Unlimited Plan. The thing is that cheaper subscriptions don’t allow for domain name transfer. Check out the migration instructions available in the control panel of the system.
- Enter the EPP (authorization) code you’ve got from Squarespace and then click the “Submit” button.
- The system will offer you the drop-down menu, providing the detailed guidelines on further actions. By the way, if you have an intention to keep your domain name hosted by Squarespace, you should go back to the domain you’ve picked in the “Domains” panel and tick the “Lock Domain” box.
- Extend the Domain Name Registration. To be able to work with the system using your domain name, you’ll have to extend it with Wix. The minimal prolongation period lasts for a year or even more, depending upon your plans and budget.
- Select the Privacy Option. The next step implies the choice of the privacy option, which fits your needs most of all. Wix makes it possible to choose either Private or Public registration. If you decide in favor of the latter option, your domain will be accessible in the WHOIS info database.
These are the detailed steps you should do to transfer your content and domain name from Squarespace to Wix. If you do everything properly, you’ll further receive a confirmation link via email to confirm the transfer.
It’s quite difficult to call the process of migrating from Squarespace to Wix complicated. However, if this is your first experience and you’ve never done that before, there are lots of aspects you may overlook. The thing is that both website builders come with their own features, characteristics and special parameters, which may have serious impact upon your website transfer in the long run. What seriously affects the process and makes it quite time-taking is the necessity to move both your website content and domain name. This is where the guidelines listed in the post will come in handy to you.
P.S. To make sure your website functions well and the migration progress was a success, you have thoroughly check its performance. Take your time to test the project prior to canceling your Squarespace subscription. This is the surefire way to preserve your project data and performance. All in all, switching from Squarespace to Wix is quite a standard procedure, which encompasses several must-have steps. If you are not sure that you will cope with the task successfully on your own, contact the experts to feel on the safe side.