Website switch from Squarespace to Shopify is frequently the result of the intensive growth of website product assortment. The more popular your web store becomes, the more products you’ll add to the sales list. Correspondingly, you’ll need more space to organize the trading process correctly.
Another reason is the need of the extended eCommerce functionality. This is where Shopify excels at. The website builder is the renowned leader of the contemporary eCommerce niche that doesn’t have any rivals.
When adopting the decision to switch from Squarespace to Shopify, there are lots of factors to consider to make the migration smooth and effective. Apart from transferring the content, you should take care of hosting, domain name, maintaining current search engine ranking to prevent the loss of positions. Let’s see whether it will be difficult or not to switch from Squarespace to Shopify.
Automated Website Transfer or Hiring a Professional?
When you just start thinking about your Squarespace website migration, you don’t think about the most effective way to do that. You bother about the elements that need to be transferred, about the speed and efficacy of the migration process as well as about the successful task completion. However, as you get closer to the process itself, you start considering various migration alternatives. This is where you may face problems.
Actually, there are two major ways to switch your website from Squarespace to Shopify. The first one implies the use of specific programs or tools, the choice of which is quite extensive in the contemporary market. That’s not the best solution, however, as these tools are not altogether reliable. They frequently make mistakes during the website transfer process, which may further have negative impact upon its performance. What’s more, these programs are paid. This means that you may just waste your money to get the result you won’t be satisfied with.
To avoid the problems, it makes sense to hire the professionals from Cart2Cart, which are the best in this niche and will thoroughly take care of each stage of your website transfer process. They know specific parameters of each website builder and, thus, can prevent the potential problems in advance.
It’s up to you to specify all the requirements and nuances when hiring a specialist to ensure the best result. Do you wish to try your effort to transfer a website from Squarespace to Shopify on your own? Then explore the step-by-step guide to be aware of what to expect from the migration process.
How to Switch from Squarespace to Shopify – The Ultimate Guide
If you wish to migrate your web store from Squarespace to Shopify, here is the guide that can help you with that.
- Sign up for Shopify and explore the general settings of the platform.
- Import your Squarespace web store data to Shopify. There are two major ways you can go here. The first option is to use one of specialized store migration apps that are specially created with this purpose in mind. Actually, there are several of them out there, but the most popular and easy-to-use services are Cart2Cart, Bulk Discounts, Product Reviews etc.
Another option is to transfer your web store data manually by exporting the products into CSV files and then importing them and customer lists in your new Shopify website.
- Make sure your products are organized properly in Shopify. This is especially important if you have used a migration app. If needed, add and update product details (names, characteristics, images, descriptions, meta descriptions etc.). Create a product collection you’d like to organize, if there is such a necessity.
- If you wish to avoid problems associated with your inventory list, browse and select inventory apps to track the product stock and check, if you don’t run out of items you sell.
- Customize your Shopify website. Having finished uploading products, focus on your web store customization. Shopify abounds in stunning designs. What you need to do is just to select the one from an extensive collection of themes, preview, install and customize it.
- Transfer the domain name. If you have an intention to move your Squarespace domain name to Shopify, you need to unlock it first to get the authorization code. With this purpose, go to the Home Menu of the platform, reach the Settings section and then click the “Domains”.
Find the domain name you plan to transfer, scroll down a bit and uncheck the ”Lock Domain” button. Then you’ll have to copy the transfer key from the corresponding section you’ll see in the control panel.
The next step is to get your DNS data from Squarespace. Access the DNS Zone Tab and make the required updates.
- Adjust the settings. If you plan to sell physical products, set up your shipping info, payment and tax settings. You can do it in the dashboard of your new Shopify web store. Likewise, if you are going to sell digital services or products, you can disable the shipping option there.
Go ahead to test your new web store to make sure your switch from Squarespace to Shopify was a success.
Shopify is a far more full-featured and powerful eCommerce platform as compared to Squarespace. It will work great for users, who have initially created a web store with Squarespace, but then decided to grow or promote their business and bring it to the brand new level.
The migration process may prove to be a challenge for users, who are not familiar with the nuances of the procedure yet expect to avail decent result. Consistent completion of actions described in our guide combined with accuracy and precise attention to details make it possible to cope with the task even for a newbie. You can do that on your own, without any extra assistance, in a couple of days only. Just give it a try!