Website switch from Squarespace to Shopify is frequently the result of the intensive growth of website product assortment. The more popular your web store becomes, the more products you’ll add to the sales list. Correspondingly, you’ll need more space to organize the trading process correctly.
Another reason is the need of the extended eCommerce functionality. This is where Shopify excels at. The website builder is the renowned leader of the contemporary eCommerce niche that doesn’t have any rivals.
How to Switch from Squarespace to Shopify (Migration Process Explained):
When adopting the decision to switch from Squarespace to Shopify, there are lots of factors to consider to make the migration smooth and effective. Apart from transferring the content, you should take care of hosting, domain name, maintaining current search engine ranking to prevent the loss of positions. Let’s see whether it will be difficult or not to migrate from Squarespace to Shopify.
1. Moving Website from Squarespace to Shopify – Is it Worth It?
If you are currently looking for website transfer options, then there is definitely something you are not satisfied with. This also depends a lot upon the type of project you run. If you have an ordinary personal/business website, then it’s ok to keep working with Squarespace as this is a really great website builder that is rightfully included into the list of the most trusted and feature-laden systems. The platform abounds in features and design customization tools that can give your project high end look and advanced performance.
But what about eCommerce projects? Is Squarespace functionality enough to cater to the increasing needs of your web store? If you already own a web store and notice that its size, product assortment or sales volume have increased, you will sooner or later realize the need to switch to a more niche-focused website builder.
This is where Shopify will be the most suitable solution. The software works great, if you intend to create a web store from scratch or promote the existing eCommerce projects that have moved from other platforms like Squarespace. The platform is a nice pick for building all types and kinds of online stores, irrespective of their specialization, product assortment and bulk, variety of management and promotion options implied. Shopify is currently the best web store creation platform and it’s definitely worth switching to, if you intend to grow your eCommerce business.
2. Squarespace Versus Shopify – What Is the Difference?
Squarespace and Shopify are the best representatives of eCommerce website builders, which can be used to start and manage eCommerce projects. This, however, doesn’t mean that systems are equal in terms of functionality, affordability and design customization options.
Squarespace was initially launched to start content-focused websites (portfolios, blogs, landing pages or business projects), although, it can also be used to manage small or mid-sized online stores – see real examples. The website builder impresses everyone by its rich feature set. It’s quite easy to master and use and it ensures intuitive web building process.
Shopify is a more complex system and it even resembles CMS in terms of flexibility and functionality. It takes time and effort to get used to the dashboard and control panel of the service and there is much to explore here, if you are a newbie. The platform rightfully deserves to be known as the eCommerce software as it abounds in web store-focused features, tools and options.
Shopify grants access to myriads of web store customizations and management tools, product-related features, payment, tax and marketing solutions. The system is feature-laden enough to let you start, manage and promote both medium stores and large hypermarkets with thousands of physical/digital products offered for sale. It also boasts extensive integration options, letting you pick and use multiple eCommerce widgets, applications, extensions and add-ons to boost your web store performance and design. Shopify also has a rich collection of free and paid eCommerce templates that can be customized with regard to your specific needs and requirements. Take a look at my collection of Shopify-powered stores.
When it tackles the pricing aspect the platforms differ as well. Shopify plans are more expensive as compared to those offered by Squarespace. However, they are worth the investment as they offer more ecommerce features needed to launch and manage functional online stores.
If you are interested in the more detailed comparison of platforms, go ahead to read an exhaustive and informative Squarespace vs Shopify comparison that will provide answers to all the systems-related questions you might have.
3. How to Switch from Squarespace to Shopify – The Ultimate Guide
If you wish to migrate your web store from Squarespace to Shopify, here is the guide that can help you with that.
- Sign up for Shopify and explore the general settings of the platform.
- Import your Squarespace web store data to Shopify. There are two major ways you can go here. The first option is to use one of specialized store migration apps that are specially created with this purpose in mind. Actually, there are several of them out there, but the most popular and easy-to-use services are Cart2Cart, Bulk Discounts, Product Reviews etc. Another option is to transfer your web store data manually by exporting the products into CSV files and then importing them and customer lists in your new Shopify website.
- Make sure your products are organized properly. This is especially important if you have used a migration app. If needed, add and update product details (names, characteristics, images, descriptions, meta descriptions etc.). Create a product collection you’d like to organize, if there is such a necessity.
- If you wish to avoid problems associated with your inventory list, browse and select inventory apps to track the product stock and check, if you don’t run out of items you sell.
- Customize your Shopify website. Having finished uploading products, focus on your web store customization. Shopify abounds in stunning designs. What you need to do is just to select the one from an extensive collection of themes, preview, install and customize it.
That’s all that concerns the transfer of your Squarespace web store content to Shopify. The entire process does not take much effort and time, but you have to be quite attentive to complete all the steps with maximum efficacy and precise attention.
As soon as you are done with the steps listed in the guide, you can proceed to the next stage – domain transfer. The process also encompasses several steps that require attention to details and awareness of the subject matter.
4. How to Transfer Own Domain Name from Squarespace to Shopify
Most users face problems and multiple questions, when it comes to domain name registration and their further migration from Squarespace to Shopify after content transfer. Actually, it’s no wonder as both website builders are quite complicated, especially for newbies, who have never migrated their websites before and don’t have a single idea of the steps the process involves.
Transferring Your Squarespace Domain to Shopify
If you have bought a domain name from Squarespace and do not plan to change it, here is a quick overview of steps you should complete to make the process a success. Before you actually proceed to the domain transfer process, there are a few issues you should be aware of. To start with, the system allows transferring the domain to another provider (including Shopify) only in case it’s registration period has exceeded 60 days.
If you intend to transfer a free domain name, the free offer does not carry over to the new domain name provider. It’s up to the Squarespace to charge (or not to charge) fees for the continuation of the domain service.
In case you intend to transfer a Squarespace domain that ends in .de, .uk or .co.uk, you have to initially review special migration requirements and exceptions in the corresponding guides prior to starting the process. If you have a G Suite attached to your domain name, you’ll need to adjust your MX records with your new domain name provider upon the completion of the process to prevent the termination/interruption of your email service. Here is a brief guide on how to move your Squarespace domain to Shopify:
- Login with Squarespace to unlock the domain name and get the get the authorization code. To do that, go to the Home Menu of the website builder, access the Settings section and then click the “Domains”.
- Pick the domain name you plan to transfer, scroll down a bit and uncheck the ”Lock Domain” button. Then you’ll have to copy the transfer key from the corresponding section you’ll see in the control panel.
- The next step for you is to get your DNS data from Squarespace. To do that, go to the DNS Zone Tab and make the required updates.
- Adjust the settings. If you plan to sell physical products, set up your shipping info, payment and tax settings. You can do it in the dashboard of your new Shopify web store. Likewise, if you are going to sell digital services or products, you can disable the shipping option there.
Go ahead to test your new web store to make sure your switch from Squarespace to Shopify was a success. All in all, it takes around 7 days to complete the domain transfer process.
Transferring Your Own Domain to Shopify
Managing a web store with Squarespace doesn’t mean that you cannot use another domain name provider for your web store. If you have bought a domain from the third-party provider, you will be able to move it to Shopify in one of two ways. The first one implies direct domain name transfer, while the second option implies domain name connection to Shopify. To choose the best option, it makes sense to review both of them in details.
When you adopt the decision to transfer the domain name to Shopify, you should realize that its further management will automatically be entrusted with the eCommerce software. In other words, you will have to adjust the settings of your domain name, complete all the payments and prolong it directly in the Shopify admin panel.
You will also have to make sure that the term of your domain registration has exceeded 60 days – otherwise, it won’t be viable for transfer. You should also check, whether you have access to the domain name account granted by the original provider. Finally, you should know that Shopify does not provide email accounts as part of its domain services, but it offers unlimited email forwarding accounts you can choose for your domain.
Have you checked all the issues listed above? Then follow the steps you’ll need to complete to make the domain transfer process a success:
- Check the transfer policy stated by your domain name provider. The simplest way to do that is to search for this info in the help center of the service you deal with;
- Prepare your domain name for further transfer. With this purpose, login to your domain name account registered with the third-party provider and confirm the fact that the email associated with it is active. This is important as you will receive several email throughput the domain transfer process and you’ll have to be able to respond to them or confirm the links they contain;
- Get the authorization code from your domain name provider. If you have problems with the process, contact your third-party domain provider to get the required assistance;
- Access Shopify admin panel, click the “Online Stores” section and then reach the “Domains” tab;
- Click the “Connect existing domain” button and then the “Transfer in your domain” button (if this is the first domain you intend to connect to your Shopify store);
- Click the “Transfer Domain” button then and enter the domain you plan to move to the new account. Right after that, click “Next” and then activate the “Verify Domain” button. If you have done everything right, your domain name will soon be ready for transfer. In this case, you will be notified about its readiness by getting the corresponding message. Click the “Next” button to complete the process. If you get another message (like the “Domain Locked”), you’ll have to check the settings you’ve made on the initial preparation stage.
- If everything is ready and your domain is ready for transfer, you may get the authorization code and then enter it in the new account to complete domain name migration.
As soon as you approve the migration of your domain name, it will take around 20 days to complete the process. You will eventually receive a message from Shopify that confirms the completion of the migration process.
Connecting Your Own Domain Name to Shopify
The second option you can use to transfer your own domain name to Shopify is to connect it to the account to point it to your new Shopify web store. This means that your website visitors will be redirected to your online store when entering its custom URL and you will also be able to use the domain name provider to make payments, manage and renew the domain etc.
Mind that the domain name registrar may provide extra instructions on how to connect the existing one to Shopify. In case the provider does not generate any guidelines, you can follow standard Shopify guidelines on how to complete the process:
- Add your custom domain to your Shopify store to identify yourself as the domain owner.
- Reach Shopify admin panel and then go to the “Online Store” tab and then to the “Domains” section;
- Click the “Connect Existing Domain” button and enter the domain name you intend to connect. Right after that, click the “Next” button and proceed to the following step.
- Set up the existing domain to point it to Shopify. If the domain was bought from the third-party provider, you’ll need to edit standard DNS settings. To be precise, your A record should obligatory point to the IP address of the system, that is, 220.127.116.11. Your www CNAME, in its turn, should point to shops.myshopify.com. Mind that if you decide to edit these settings, they may affect other processes.
- Save all the settings made and verify the fact of the domain name connection. This should be done by activating the link in the confirmation email.
If you manage to complete all the steps of the domain name migration process correctly, it will be transferred within 48 hours.
5. Professional Squarespace to Shopify Migration Services
When you just start thinking about your Squarespace website migration, you don’t think about the most effective way to do that. You bother about the elements that need to be transferred, about the speed and efficacy of the migration process as well as about the successful task completion.
However, as you get closer to the process itself, you start considering various migration alternatives. This is where you may face problems.
Actually, there are two major ways to switch your website from Squarespace to Shopify. The first one implies the use of specific programs or tools, the choice of which is quite extensive in the contemporary market. That’s not the best solution, however, as these tools are not altogether reliable. They frequently make mistakes during the website transfer process, which may further have negative impact upon its performance. What’s more, these programs are paid. This means that you may just waste your money to get the result you won’t be satisfied with.
To avoid the problems, it makes sense to hire the professionals from Cart2Cart, which are the best in this niche and will thoroughly take care of each stage of your website transfer process. They know specific parameters of each website builder and, thus, can prevent the potential problems in advance.
Another option is to hire a web developer or deal directly with Shopify freelance masters, who offer their professional website migration services at https://experts.shopify.com/. Shopify pros will handle all the steps of the website migration process for you, thus, eliminating the need to bother about the nuances of the transfer process on your own. Your task will be controlling the process and checking the result. Additionally, you will be able to stay in touch with the experts to discuss all the nuances and details of the migration process on time to avoid the potential misunderstandings afterwards.
It’s up to you to specify all the requirements, nuances and cost of the website migration process when hiring a specialist to ensure the best result. Do you wish to try your effort to transfer a website from Squarespace to Shopify on your own? Then explore the step-by-step guide to be aware of what to expect from the migration process.
Shopify is a far more full-featured and powerful eCommerce platform as compared to Squarespace. It will work great for users, who have initially created a web store with Squarespace, but then decided to grow or promote their business and bring it to the brand new level.
The migration process may prove to be a challenge for users, who are not familiar with the nuances of the procedure yet expect to avail high result. Consistent completion of actions described in our guide combined with accuracy and precise attention to details make it possible to cope with the task even for a newbie. You can do that on your own, without any extra assistance, in a couple of days only.
At the same time, it is possible to hire professional experts or use a specialized website migration program like Cart2Cart that will handle the entire process in the automated mode. This includes both content and domain name transfer, which are the most complicated yet must-have steps of the web store migration procedure. Whatever option you will go for, each of them will come with its merits and demerits. Take your time to weigh all the nuances to decide on the solution that will work best for you and your project.