Choosing the right developer for your future website is a tough process. It contains so many factors to consider. Is it going to be a freelancer or an agency? How much will the project cost? How to find a trusted specialist? Is it better to handle the building process using website builders?
To answer those questions it is necessary to have a clear understanding of the project’s future goals and key objectives.
It is vital to define the pages’ structure, menu, and features you want to have on your site. Whether it is going to be a blog, a digital store or a company’s website.
How to Hire & How Much to Pay Someone to Build a Website:
After you clarify all the implementations you need, it will be easier to choose a proper web developer. Check our detailed guide on how to choose someone to build a website.
1. Decide Who You Need
You may need to build a website from scratch or only make some modifications to an already existing site. For this reason, you need to think carefully about who you actually need to handle the task.
to Build Your Website!
Web Designers vs Web Developers
Most newbies cannot see the difference between designers and developers. It is a first common mistake to avoid. We are going to clarify the difference:
- A Designer – it is mainly a person who customizes the appearance of the site. He or she deals with creating icons, buttons, images and other elements for the page. They work with different graphics editors and design programs;
- A Developer – is the person who deals with the website’s implementation. He or she writes codes, ads scripts, edits site’s files as well as works with other instruments related to web development.
While web technologies evolve, more and more web designers are involved in the implementation process as well. A web designer actually combines the functions of developer and traditional designer featuring expertise in HTML, CSS and some other programming languages.
Full-Time Specialist vs Freelancer
Now when you know who you actually need to accomplish the task, it is high time you decided on where to look for a web developer. Whether it is going to be a freelancer, a full-time specialist or a full-cycle development agency. The choice would totally depend on the details of the project:
- Freelancers – they appear to be a better option in case you only need some slight modifications. Both parties are able to negotiate the time and bids in advance. Freelancers may also come in handy in case you require day-to-day running over the time;
- Full-Time Specialists – they are a good option if you constantly need to handle changes and improvements on your website. It makes sense if you want someone to take care of the project on a constant basis. It usually refers to some complicated websites that call for plenty of handworks (huge news portals, forums, etc.);
- Full-Cycle Agencies – this option is the best bet for people who require full-cycle services from building and maintaining the website to producing SEO-friendly content, promoting the site, etc. Agencies like SiteBuilders.PRO, for example, usually have a pool of experts in different fields from coders and designers to copywriters, promoters, and marketers. As a trusted full-cycle agency, they will help create any type of website from scratch. They also offer professional website migration services from/to popular website builders and CMS. The team of industry pros uses an individual approach to each and every project, handling all the related nuances in no time.
Your choice will affect the cost of the project. Full-time developers and agencies usually charge more if compared with freelancers. It is always better to plan your work scope beforehand to stick to the budget.
2. How to Find a Trusted Web Developer?
The Global Web reserves much space to look for someone to build a website for you. Users can check for some leading freelance networks like UpWork and Fiverr or check the list of local companies and agencies. Although one would hardly face problems when finding an executive, most people fail to define a trustworthy specialist from an amateur.
Experienced Developers vs Amateurs
- Experienced Specialists – they work faster with minimum mistakes. It results in less debugging and lower costs. On the other hand, they charge higher rates;
- Amateurs – despite lower rates, inexperienced developers spend more time on fixing bugs and correcting mistakes. Their work requires extra revisions, which results in more hours.
Some find it hard to get a proven professional. For this reason, we conducted a list of questions that will help you choose an experienced web developer as well as save your time and money:
- What is the inclusive project cost? Make sure the collaboration conditions are clear without hidden fees. You need to clearly understand what you pay for and what you get for that money.
- How long will the process take? An experienced developer will always consider possible unpredictable occasions. They may result in delays. For this reason, an accurate time estimation is vital.
- What does the price include? Find out if the price already includes both designing and development, so there I no need to hire more specialists.
- Who will be working on the project? If you opt for an agency, it is better to review the list of all specialists who will work on the website. This is to make sure they have enough skills to handle the project.
- Ask for the portfolio. It does not matter if you hire a freelancer or a full-time specialist. Always ask them to show their portfolio. You may find websites that are close to your project. It means that the specialist will certainly manage.
- Ask about the CMS type. You are the one to proceed with further website handwork. Make sure you understand how the system works. Sometimes it is up to you what CMS to use. Moreover, reputable agencies offer special training courses and CMS guides.
Don’t forget to check the reputation on the web reading testimonials and reviews by previous customers.
3. How Much Does It Cost?
It is high time we got to numbers and figures. The first and foremost thing you need to figure out is whether you pay a fixed fee or an hourly rate. Both types of payments feature some hits and misses. We offer a simple way to make up your mind on the best-matching structure:
- Hourly Pays – best for small projects that do not take more than a week. The structure considers hiring a freelancer;
- Fixed Price – good for complicated huge websites that take several months to develop. The structure considers hiring a full-cycle agency with all actions included in the price.
NOTE: keep in mind that the website building costs are individual. They depend on numerous factors such as complexity, web building technologies, timeframes, and more. Having a clear blueprint of the project will let you estimate at least the average site price.
Factors that Influence on Website Costs
Check the list of factors that determine the final cost of the website building process:
- Hiring a Freelancer to Build a Website of Medium Complexity – about $2,500 per a single site. The minimum price for a professional portfolio or simple online store may start from $1,000 and rise up to $3,000 per week depending on components and features you need.
- Hiring an Agency to Build a Website of Medium Complexity – up to $50,000. The minimum price for a company’s website starts from $10,000. If you require full-cycle services such as SEO, Maintenance & Support, preparer to pay up to $50,000.
Considering such rates, handling the website building process yourself looks like a more cost-effective solution. Moreover, website builders make it easy to handle with sites of any type and complexity without special skills. It will hardly cost you more than $80 per year!
4. Hiring a Developer vs Website Builder
Website builders come as a faster and more cost-effective solution to build a site forms scratch. They save our time and make it easy to manage the project yourself without involving third parties. They are cheaper and easier to use.
While hiring a web developer may take up to several months to complete the project, the online software requires 2-3 hours to create and publish a ready-to-use website. We have highlighted some of the most affordable and popular platforms.
Wix – The Best Drag-and-Drop Website Builder
Wix – is a flexible website building instrument to handle the development of different website types. It is good for small business and the company’s sites as well as professional blogs and small digital stores. A user does not even have to deal with coding or programming. The main benefits include:
- Simple Editor – Wix offers an intuitive drag-and-drop function to add and manage website content;
- Wix ADI – the AI-based platform that builds websites in minutes. A user only needs to indicate some project features as well as choose the business niche and answer several additional questions. The system will process answers and offer a ready-to-use site layout with already integrated features, widgets, website blocks, and sections that can be edited as well;
- Mobile-Friendly Templates – a selection of professional themes includes numerous categories of templates that run equally well on various mobile devices;
- Wix App Market – the playroom delivers numerous free widgets and Add-Ons for better website flexibility;
- eCommerce Feature – Wix brings a set of eCommerce tools for small business and digital shops.
If this is the first time you are using Wix website builder, the system offers a superb opportunity to test its major features with its free never-expiring plan. As soon as you decide that you are ready to go live with your project, you’ll be able to upgrade to one of the premium subscriptions. Wix has two types of paid plans – Website and Business/eCommerce. Their cost starts at $13/mo, free domain and hosting included. What’s important, the website builder has a 50% discount offer for all new subscribers, who sign up for an account from Tuesday to Thursday. A 14-day money-back guarantee option is available here as well.
Wix has its own pool of experts available for hire. Users may find them on a separate Wix Marketplace platform. It is a digital marketplace with hundreds of specialists in the field of web design and programming specially for Wix-powered projects. They will help to customize the already existing site as well as design a new one for you from the ground. Users may look through experts’ profiles featuring portfolios, the number of completed projects, customers’ revues, and star ratings.
Shopify – The Best Ecommerce Platform to Start Sell Online
Shopify – is the proven leader in the niche of digital store development. The platform lets newbies and professionals create webshops of any size from tiny stores to growing global marketplaces. It has an intuitive editor with WYSIWYG features in addition to great-looking responsive templates, advanced product and inventory management tools, promotion and marketing instruments, etc.
- Advanced Product Management – manage your products and inventories form a single dashboard. The editor has a simple functionality to add new goods, create product categories, collections, and catalogs, set currencies, integrate various payment gateways, etc.
- 3D Warehouse Technology – represent your products in the most appealing way. Upload images that ensure the sense of presence letting customers observe the item features and benefits.
- Marketing and Promotion – create sites with integrated marketing tools. Grow your mailing list, embed user acquisition forms, launch loyalty programs, share promo codes and coupons, run seasonal sales, and more.
- Generated Reports – the system has built-in analytics and reporting tools to track sales, highlight the most successful products as well as major traffic channels. Reports contain detail info on ad campaigns to monitor results in real time.
Shopify delivers various plans to meet your eCommerce needs. The cheapest and the simplest way to get started is to sign up for a Shopify Lite plan, the cost of which constitutes $9/mo. The plan, however, comes with multiple limitations that do not let you start a full-featured web store yet it allows selling the unlimited number of products via Facebook or various physical locations. There is also an opportunity to use the “Buy Now” button to give an existing website eCommerce focus.
If you expect to avail deeper functionality and flexibility from a web store, Shopify provides an opportunity to sign up for one of its three medium plans – Basic Shopify, Shopify and Advanced Shopify. The cost starts at $29/mo.
Just like Wix, Shopify is a proven leader in its particular segment. The platform is the #1 choice for people looking for advanced eCommerce web tools. For this reason, it cooperates with both individuals and agencies that will lend a hand in fine-tuning your future store. Users are free to hire experts in various fields from logo and web designers to email marketing specialists and SMM managers, SEO specialists, programmers, etc. They will modify an already existing Shopify website or create a new one. All you need is to create a new job in the Shopify marketplace and wait for experts to contact you directly.
WordPress – The Best Hosted CMS in the World
WordPress – is the #1 CMS with millions of active users. The platform was initially launched to create content-based websites, blogs, and small business sites. However, it has evolved over the years offering new ways to expand the project turning it into a digital store. The tool itself may require a bit of learning curve and coding although the content editor is very intuitive (see Elementor review) and hardly differs from typical drag-and-drop instruments. Moreover, as an open-source tool, WordPress reserves more flexibility and freedom in terms of web design or customization.
- Flexibility – WordPress provides access to the template source code. Users are able to modify the code, add new functions, create custom design elements, etc. The task will require good technical skills.
- Plugins and Templates – WordPress boasts probably the plugin selection of widgets to add on-site from analytics and contact forms to galleries, anti-spam instruments, shortcodes, etc. users will be able to choose from thousands of paid and free templates that refer to literally any business niche.
- eCommerce – plugins like WooCommerce make it possible to set your own online shop. Little coding is required here, while all major settings are intuitive. You get a fully functional product management tool that is the same as any other drag-and-drop editor.
- Global Developers’ Community – finding a WP enthusiast or experts to help with site setup, plugins integration or customization is a piece of cake when it comes to WordPress. They will help to create a new site from scratch or modify the existing one. Moreover users will find tons of video tutorials, blogs forums,etc.
The CMS itself is free. However, you will need a domain name and hosting to go live with your website. This is where WP-optimized server solutions will come in handy. Bluehost is the best hosting provider to power WordPress sites of any type. It offers a 1-year domain, integration with WP, free plugins, themes, and other features in each plan starting at $2.95 per month. It sounds like a real bargain considering system updates, backups, and WP custom dashboard already included in the price.
uKit – The Easiest Website Builder for Small Business
uKit – is probably the easiest website builder to create sites in several minutes with absolutely no technical skills. It boasts a simple interface, lowest rates and professional support team. It is good for basic websites like professional portfolios, blogs, and one-page sites. No special skills are needed to build a professional looking site with uKit. The platform has the following benefits:
- Ease of Use – WYSIWYG editing tool makes it easy and fast to add new content, remove and change blocks, attach media files, etc.;
- Free Adaptive Templates – uKit has a collection of professionally looking and mobile-ready templates;
- Professional Support – support specialists will help you to resolve any issue via Skype and email;
- SEO and Promotion Tools – despite the platform’s simplicity, it still lets users deal with SEO settings like meta descriptions and titles, focus keywords, etc.
The software offers 4 major plans depending on the project requirements. The minimal package contains only baseline building tools at a $5 price tag. A Basic plan is more advanced. It offers additional stat and report tools for the $10 monthly price. eCommerce and Pro plans are for advanced users who need to launch small shops or more complicated small business sites. The plans cost $12 and $15 per months respectively. A 2-year subscription will let you save a couple of bucks starting at $2.50 per month. There is also a 14-day free trial that allows testing the selected subscription before upgrading to it.
Do you need a professional website yet you are not ready to start it on your own? uKit makes it possible to order a turn-key ready web project developed by the web design team of the service. This is a surefire way to get quality result without special effort and time investment.
to Build Your Website!
It is up to you and your budget whether to hire someone to build your website or opt for an online platform. On the other hand, modern software has proved to be a more cost-effective and simple solution. You will spend less time on creating a site from scratch as well as get involved in the process yourself. It is obviously a better option for basic websites and small eCommerce projects. Have a look at all benefits that let modern platforms oppose web development teams.
|Web Developers||Website Builders|
|Price:||about $2,000 for a basic site + annual domain and hosting costs ($50-$70)||About $100 annually including domain and hosting|
|Skills:||No technical skills required (only for further maintenance and management)||No technical skills required. Intuitive drag-and-drop editor.|
|Design:||Custom website design||Free mobile-optimized templates for different website categories|
|Flexibility:||Additional functionality for the extra price||Free apps, widgets, and third-party integration|
|Extra Costs:||You will need to find a place to host your website||Domain and hosting included in the plan|
|Complexity:||Website of any complexity||Good for basic websites as well as sites for small business, eCommerce, company’s websites, etc.|
Website builders are cheaper and easier to use. They are faster to come up with the ready-to-go project. However, the lack of technical skills and experience can be a stumbling block on the way to building a more complex project. This is where professional assistance of full-cycle agencies like Sitebuilders.PRO is the best solution.
Their expert guidance eliminates the need to hire large web design companies charging enormous budgets for their services. Likewise, you won’t have to deal with intricate nuances of the DIY website creation process, which frequently takes much time and effort. Instead, you will cooperate with a team of industry pros, who will pay individual attention to your project to come up with the best offer. Whatever type of website you need, you can absolutely rely on them.