Hostinger – is a powerful, secured, and reliable web hosting provider. Launched in 2004, it has become a real powerhouse for more than 29 million users located in more than 170 different countries. The platform highlights some major benefits that make it easy for users to come up with a new web project with complete freedom.
For this reason, Hostinger boats up to a thousand of new customers signing up to the platform on a daily basis. This fact proves that the company has established the right approach. However is it really worth paying attention? In this review, we are going to stress some of the key pros and cons as well as have a closer look at the features it delivers.
1. Pros and Cons
Hostinger delivers a set of unlimited features out of the box. On the one hand, it is good for those looking for an all-in-one hosting solution in addition to fast speed, strong uptime, advanced security means, etc. On the other hand, it does not guarantee your site staying online. So, what are the key platform’s pros and cons?
- Comparatively Strong Uptime Most of the Time – The service is pretty good at providing strong uptime most of the time. It is not perfect taking into account some downtimes tracked in September 2018 decreasing down to 99.89%, which is not good. On the other hand, the average rate is 99.98%. which is good.
- Good Page Load Time – The rate is vital when establishing a high level of users’ experience. Hostinger can work well showing off 385ms average page load time. At the same time, the company has servers located in different types of the world including Europe and the UK in particular, the United States, and Asia. The loading time is always stable if considered 1000 Mbps connection.
- Ease of Use – Hostinger is very easy to use, which makes the platform perfect for newbies. Once you have logged in, you will see large buttons with all the tools and features in one place. In other words, you can find all tools and settings in one place making them easy to reach and use. Users can link their account to different CMS such as WordPress, Joomla or Druapl. They will only need to indicate some data and get started.
- Enhanced Privacy and Security – Free SSL certificates might not be enough to ensure 100% digital security for your web project. Hostinger seems to understand the issue. This is why it offers additional features. For example, Bitninja is a part of each plan available for users to prevent the risk of malware, automated hacker attacks, XXSS, and other digital threats.
- Money Back Guarantee – You can count on a full refund within 30 days, in case you are not satisfied with the services and options provided by the platform.
- Comprehensive Support Team – Hostinger claims to have a multilingual customer support team that is ready to resolve any issue ASAP. You can choose from live chat, integrated Intercom features, and other ways to get in touch with support representatives.
Hostinger is really focused on improving its web hosting services. Its pros make the platform a good value for money through some slight cons may still take place.
- Live Chat Access – every time you need to contact the support team via live chat, you need to be logged in to your hosting account. In other words, you are not able to use the feature if you are not a Hostinger customer. It may turn into a crucial drawback for potential clients who still have some questions before signing in.
- The Lack of cPanel – Do not expect to see a traditional cPanel. Hostinger strives to simplicity at each and every step. It resulted in some obvious drawbacks like the lack of a traditional dashboard. There is a chance you might not appreciate their custom control panel.
- Unclear Money Back Policy – although they claim or provide a full refund within 30 days, the money back policy is not as clear as you may expect. You can apply for a refund when using hosting plans, domain transfers or SSL certificates. If you opt for advanced services like domain renewal privacy protection means, you should not count on money back for any of those.
Although Hostinger claims to be an affordable web hosting provider, its pricing policy requires some revision, as there are some hidden fees and charges not indicated in the plan. For instance, you will have to pay for every new domain name even if you use a Business or Premium plan.
2. Hosting Features
Hostinger is an all-in-one web hosting solution with everything you may need to get started with any kind of web project. It offers a set of unlimited and free options such as unmetered bandwidth and SSD space to meet all your needs. Here are some of the baseline platform’s you might appreciate:
- Ease of Use – While many platforms still use a traditional dashboard and try to hide most of the features to make their interface look cleaner, Hostinger displays all necessary instruments in one place. You will see large colorful buttons. You will never get lost or confused with the interface.
- WordPress Optimized Hosting – Hostinger is a good solution for users who plan to launch WP blogs or websites. The platform ensures high speed and great performance thanks to custom built caching plugins combined with WP-optimized servers.
- Free Domain and SSL – Business and Premium plan users can benefit from a free domain name in addition to free SSL. Considering a comparatively low plan price, Hostinger looks like an affordable way to launch a fully-packed web project from scratch.
- Free Custom Website Builder – the website builder comes with any of the available plans. It is a good way for non-technicians to build their websites from scratch like professionals. You do not need any coding or designing skills.
- Unlimited Features – Business and Premium plan users may benefit from unlimited bandwidth and SSD disk space to host web projects of any complexity.
- Email Forwarding Tools – Hostinger boasts probably the most advanced emailing tools. They include email forwarding, auto-responding, SpamAssassin protection, and other instruments to send or receive emails from anywhere in addition to global access and the ability to send media content as well.
Summing up, Hostinger delivers all necessary options to get started with websites of different type and complexity. Most of the free and premium features are available only with Business and Premium plans.
Hostinger tries to improve its performance and page load time. The platform used to have some downtimes back in 2017 and 2018. However, the latest tests revealed the page load time of 385ms, which is almost 80% better if compared to the industry’s average rate of 890ms. The company made a huge leap forward. At the same time, it has servers located in Asia, Europe, and the United States to provide faster connectivity. Built-in caching instruments have also resulted in faster load time. You can easily find out where a website is hosted and analyze its perfomance on your own. For this pupose you can use both internal Hostinger tools or external services like Pingdom.
As for uptime, Hostinger mainly performs well in this area with the exception of several months back in 2018 due to some rapid spikes. However, they seem to improve the situation with the average uptime rate of 99.98% in 2019.
Website security and data privacy might be of main priority for some of the site owners. Hostinger pays close attention to this feature offering some effective means in addition to typical SSL security certificates and anti-spam protection.
Some basic security instruments are as follows:
- Free SSL.
- Data Backups on a daily or weekly basis.
- SpamAssassin and Cloudfare Protection.
Additional features include BitNinja smart security protection available with every plan. BitNinja is an all-in-one package that protects your web projects in real time preventing DDoS and XSS attacks, malware, brute forces, etc.
5. Customer Support
The platform guarantees multilingual support available via live chat and Intercom integration. However, only Hostinger customers can access the live chat feature. You must be logged in to keep in touch. Another problem is that support managers are a bit slow to respond according to reviews.
The extended knowledgebase can be a perfect solution to the problem. Customers can rely on:
- Guides and Tutorials.
- Video step-by-step instructions and walkthroughs.
- General information.
The knowledgebase covers all possible technical and other issues you might need to resolve. Moreover, users do not have to switch between two separate pages.
6. Pricing Policy
Hostinger looks more affordable if compared to many other shared hosting options. However, the pricing policy looks a bit messy, considering some hidden fees you may come across. The three major packages include:
- Single Plan costing $1.45 per month for a single website and 1 email account with 100 GB of memory.
- Premium Plan costing $2.95 per month with all unlimited features and weekly backups.
- Business Plan costing $3.95 with all perks from the Premium plan in addition to daily backups and free SSL.
Although Premium and Business plans include unlimited websites, you will have to pay for each and every new domain.
The Bottom Line
Summing up, Hostinger looks like an affordable option for those looking for reliable and secure shared hosting services. The platform delivers all necessary features and instruments to get started with your own website.
It is good for non-technicians thanks to a simple dashboard and a website builder. Experienced users will appreciate WP-optimized server solution in addition to custom-built caching plugins.
The platform boasts good enough performance with decent load speed and uptime rates. It has servers located in different parts of the world to ensure flawless connection though some downtimes might still take place. In the whole, you may consider Hostinger as the place to start with your website.