As far as the prevailing amount of crafters lack web design skills and have never heard about the nuances of the web store development process, they start looking for a platform that will encompass ease-of-use, convenience and intuitive nature. Pricing aspect matters a lot as well. Etsy is one of the platforms many users come across when performing their online search.
Whatever DIY items you make, the chances to sell them at good cost and win customers’ loyalty are quite high with Etsy. This is especially true, if this is your first try to start eCommerce business and you intend to find out whether your product will be in demand with customers. However, if you have an intention to start a full-fledged online business, Etsy marketplace is not the best solution.
The thing is the competition is quite tough here and it’s quite easy to get lost in millions of product positions that are similar to yours. The only reasonable Etsy alternative is to launch your own online store, which will focus on your DIY products only without distracting user attention to items offered by the competitors.
[Spoiler] Here’s a List of the Best Etsy Alternatives:
- Wix – the best alternative to Etsy
- Shopify – best website builder for Etsy shop
- Amazon Handmade – website similar to Etsy
- WooCommerce – ecommerce plugin for WordPress
- Ecwid – ecommerce platform similar to Etsy
- SITE123 – absolutely free alternative to Etsy
- Squarespace – online store builder with shopping cart
- uKit – cheaper alternative to Etsy
How to Choose The Best Etsy Alternative For You
Prior to starting the search, you should think about the type of the platform to go for. You may distinguish between all-in-one systems that cover a broad range of web design needs and specialized platforms, which focus exclusively on web store creation. The choice of the service depends upon the complexity of the service, your coding skills, pricing policy and result you wish to obtain in the long run.
Apart from the niche focus of the system, it is crucial to browse the list of its advantages, disadvantages and special features. This will help you find out more about the platform and integrated functionality it can offer. Mind that the more complicated and feature-rich the platform is, the deeper your web design expertise should be. Thus, if you are not a coding pro yet, it makes sense to look for a simpler system. In case your programming knowledge is above the average, you may opt for a more feature-laden system to work with.
Budget is one of the most important issues, when it comes to the choice of the web design platform. The pricing policy of each service mainly depends upon its integrated functionality, terms and services included. In other words, the simpler your web store is, the less budget you will have to invest into it. Still, if you expect to run a hypermarket, get ready to spend much more money into its development, management and promotion.
The Different Types of Etsy Alternatives
When looking for a suitable Etsy alternative to comply with your eCommerce requirements, you will come across several types of popular platforms. They differ in the degree of complexity, integrated functionality, management requirements, cost and general web design approach. Currently, the most widespread systems to browse are as follows:
- Online website builders – cloud-based DIY systems, which make it possible to start and manage both simple and feature-rich projects;
- Marketplaces – websites that aggregate thousand of products offers for sale by vendors from all over the world;
- CMS (Content Management Systems) – complicated and feature-rich platforms, which provide deep web design functionality and require a certain degree of coding proficiency.
Irrespective of the intentions, objectives and preferences you have regarding the choice of the system, it would be useful for you to find out more about the most popular web design platforms. Hurry up to browse the reviews further.
1. Wix – The Best Alternative to Etsy
Wix – is the best alternative to Etsy and one of the most popular eCommerce – ready website builders. The all-in-one website builder is stunningly easy to work with. You can easily use it to launch any website type, including a web store, without any special effort and knowledge required.
The system is simple, convenient, and understandable for everyone, irrespective of the available web design skills, knowledge and expertise rate. It comes with a visual editor and drag-and-drop functionality, which simplifies the web building process and allows customizing website design with no serious hassle or time loss. This is what makes the website builder a perfect solution both for newbies and web design experts.
Have a look at the list of Wix highlights now:
- eCommerce Engine. The system has its own eCommerce platform designed for small-to-mid online stores, which comes with multiple customizable options and features.
- eCommerce Templates. The website builder stands out from the crowd due to its rich collection of niche templates, which are optimized for mobile browsing and can be customized as you wish (take a look at Wix eCommerce examples).
- Forum and Blogging. Wix allows setting up and connecting a blog and a forum to your digital store to boost user engagement rate.
- Design Editing Solutions. The platform makes it possible to choose from two convenient design editing solutions to adhere to the needs and skills of the system users: Wix ADI for beginners and Standard Wix Editor for more design-proficient users.
- App Market. Wix App Market provides an extensive choice of free and paid applications and widgets that can be integrated into your eCommerce website to give it extra functionality.
- Multilingual Support. The website builder comes with integrated multilingual support that allows creating online stores in different languages.
- Ascend By Wix. This is the all-in-one CRM solution that grants access to around 20 business tools and products available in one place, application of which contributes to effective web store promotion and marketing.
Wix has a free never-expiring plan, which will come up to the needs of those users, who have an intention to explore the main features of the system. As to professional eCommerce website development, the system makes it possible to choose from two types of paid plans, namely Standard and Business/eCommerce. Obviously, the second group of plans will work best for online store creation. The cost of subscriptions included into this group starts from $23 per month.
2. Shopify – Best Website Builder for Etsy Shop
Shopify – is the best website builder for Etsy shop. This is the world-popular all-in-one eCommerce solution that has won immense user recognition due to the powerful integrated functionality, advanced design customization options as well as abundance of niche-specific features and tools.
Shopify works best for people, who have the intention to sell their products online, irrespective of the niche they focus on, their business objectives and web building experience. The system lets you trade both online and offline due to the integrated POS (Point-of-Sale) software it offers. The major implication of the software is to let crafters sell their DIY products in the retail storefront (the offline mode), manage several staff accounts and synchronize with the accounting software, if there is such a need.
Other Shopify advantages are as follows:
- Responsive eCommerce Templates. The software is focused on the development of online stores and, thus, comes with an extensive selection of free and paid niche-specific templates that are responsive and easy-to-customize (see Shopify store examples).
- Extensive Integration Options. One of the distinctive Shopify merits is its integration with world-known marketplaces and external services like Xero, Quickbooks and other accounting software.
- Amazon Synchronization. If you already have an Amazon account or just plan to get one, you can synchronize it with your Shopify account to boost the sales amount and build customer base.
- Live View. The feature allows tracking your web store performance (conversion rates, information about visitors, sales volume, order info, number of pages viewed by clients etc.) in the real-time mode.
- Fraud Protection Feature. The feature is currently available for US merchants, who wish to protect Shopify payments made by customers from all kinds of fraudulent actions.
- Shopcodes. Available for free in the Shopify App Market, Shopcode feature simplifies the process of mobile shopping by offering product QR codes that contain all the info about the item available for sale.
- Augmented Reality. The advanced AR feature makes the process of online shopping more interactive and informative by providing 3D product images customers may explore in details from different angles.
- Multi Language Support. Shopify lets you start web stores in different languages to reach out for international clients and partners.
Shopify has a moderate pricing policy that completely comes up to the feature set provided by its plans. The software doesn’t have a completely free plan yet there is an opportunity to test its integrated functionality during the 14-day free trial. As to the paid subscriptions, the system has three pricing solutions. Their cost starts from $9/mo.
3. Amazon Handmade – Website Similar to Etsy
Amazon Handmade – is a website similar to Etsy, which is powered by the Amazon marketplace and focuses on selling handmade items. The platform empowers artisans with the set of tools, features and services they require to showcase and sell their unique products to customers across the globe.
The service pays special attention to the quality and unique nature of items sold with the platform. They thoroughly review each application and then audit the methods of production to make sure every artisan offers truly unique and one-of-a-kind products for sale. This is what makes the platform the best destination for genuinely handcrafted goods.
The most distinctive Amazon Handmade advantages encompass:
- Impressive Customer Base. The platform lets you leverage a vast customer base that includes over 300 millions people.
- Custom Products Only. When shopping with the system, you may be 100% sure you will get a truly unique, personalized and handcrafted item.
- Understandable Product Listings. Each product listing comprises the exhaustive information about the item offered for sale, including general facts, special parameters, drop down menus, images, custom pricing and more.
- Versatile Product Categories. Amazon Handmade currently has 14 distinct product categories and it does not accept those items, which don’t fit into these categories.
- Thorough Artisan Application Processing. To join the platform, each artisan should pass an application process, which may take several weeks or even months to be successfully approved.
Amazon Handmade doesn’t charge any sign up or listing fees. There is only a 15% fee per each sale as well as a number of cost issues specified in the Manage inventory dashboard.
4. WooCommerce – eCommerce Plugin for WordPress
WooCommerce – is an eCommerce plugin for WordPress, which is free and easy to use. The plugin works best for starting a web store powered by the CMS. It lets you sell both physical and digital products, managing them with regard to your needs. At the same time, it cannot be used as a standalone platform for eCommerce website development.
As an add-on to the existing WordPress website, WooCommerce delivers quite a limited set of eCommerce features. These are enough, however, to run a quality small-to-medium online store. Along with niche-specific services and extensions, the plugin offers a simple and convenient product management system that lets you gain the expected result.
The list of Etsy advantages is listed below:
- Simplicity and Convenience. Plugin application does not require any programming skills – just follow the guidelines the system generates by default.
- Product Management. With WooCommerce, you can easily manage products available for sale in your web store (add descriptions, photos, new categories and product collections, adjust SEO settings etc.).
- Plugin Integration. Powered by WordPress, WooCommerce is compatible with other CMS plugins, which contributes to better web store performance.
WooCommerce is a completely free eCommerce plugin for WordPress. What you should know, though, is that the free version covers only baseline functionality. To get access to enhanced tools/features, you will have to pick and use paid extensions. Their cost ranges from $40 and up to $300. Additionally, your web store will require hosting/domain name. The best solution here is to opt for Bluehost. The cheapest plan costs $2.95/mo.
5. Ecwid – eCommerce Platform Similar to Etsy
Ecwid – is an eCommerce platform similar to Etsy. This is the shopping cart plugin you can integrate into your website built with any CMS or almost any website builder to provide it with advanced eCommerce features. This is a pretty nice alternative for Etsy users, who already have their websites and plan to sell something through them.
The plugin provides distinctive eCommerce functionality yet it does not require deep coding proficiency. To run a web store with the system, you just need to connect it to a ready-made website, which can be created on any platform at all. Users with no expertise at all can create and update product catalogues and galleries, track web store statistics, adjust payment/SEO settings etc. This is what speaks in favor of using the system by beginners.
Have a look at the most appealing Ecwid eCommerce features:
- Universal Show Window. Ecwid doesn’t provide a template set, but it has a universal show window for all eCommerce websites built with it.
- Easy Web Store Customization. You can choose a color scheme of the stock template, create your own design from scratch by using CSS skills or opt for a unique individual paid theme.
- eBay Synchronization. You can synchronize your Ecwid account with that on eBay to enhance your sales volume and grow customer base.
- Specific eCommerce Options. Ecwid plugin offers a set of decent eCommerce options, including reports, product catalogue, client base, taxes and delivery settings, shopping cart, payment options, social network integration etc.
- Product Import/Export. Similar to standard eCommerce systems, Ecwid allows importing/exporting products in the CSV format to transfer your orders, product info, customer data and other related info, when moving from one eCommerce platform to another.
- Multilanguage Support. The plugin offers multilanguage support that makes it possible to translate your ready-made web store into more than 50 languages of your choice.
- Integration Options. Ecwid cannot boast extensive integration possibilities yet there is a nice selection of widgets/applications you can select and integrate into your eCommerce website (Printful, AfterShip, Lucky Orange, Xero, Mailchimp, ShipStation, Freshbooks, Zapier, 71lbs, LiveChat, ShippingEasy etc.).
- Multiple Sales Channels Options. The plugin grants access to the variety of sales channels options to sell products on different platforms, managing and controlling the process from the single admin panel.
- Social Media Integration. You can choose from several social media integrations, including Instagram, Facebook, Amazon, Shopzilla, Nextag, Google Shopping and many more.
Ecwid has a free plan that allows adding a show window with 10 products offered for sale. The cost of paid plans depend upon their terms. The plugin currently offers three paid subscriptions, the cost of which starts from $15 per month. However, if you wish to save the budget, you can make a one-time annual payment. In this case, the cost of the cheapest subscription will constitute $12.50 per month only.
6. SITE123 – Absolutely Free Alternative to Etsy
SITE123 – is an absolutely free alternative to Etsy, which can be used to start different types of websites, including web stores. The SaaS platform stands out from the crowd due to its impressive simplicity and convenience for everyone. No coding skills are required to explore and master the website builder – just follow the steps the system generates to easily build projects with the service.
The system has one of the most impressive collections of templates. They are free, customizable and responsive by default. There is a separate section of eCommerce themes here you may browse to pick the one that absolutely adheres to your business needs.
Other merits of the website builder are listed below:
- eCommerce Widgets. The website builder comes with a distinctive collection of integrated eCommerce apps and widgets (Galleries, Live Chat, Social Widgets, Online Forms etc.) that can enhance your web store performance.
- Logo Maker. When launching or managing a web store, you will be able to design and add a logo to your web store to improve brand recognition.
- App Market. The system has a rich collection of extensions and widgets (free and paid) you can choose for your web store based on its specialization.
- Multilingual Support. SITE123 allows for multilingual support to let everyone create a web store in several languages.
- Blogging Engine. The website builder has quite a powerful blogging engine, which allows connecting a blog to your eCommerce project.
- Online Form Builder. The system makes it possible to integrate/customize any online form to improve your web store performance.
SITE123 is a simple DIY website builder, which is also one of the most affordable systems. There is a free plan here that helps you test the service during any time interval. it has certain restrictions that don’t let you create full-featured web projects with it. To get access to premium features, you will have to upgrade to paid plans. Their cost starts from $10.80/mo.
7. Squarespace – Online Store Builder with Shopping Cart
Squarespace – is a trusted US-based online store builder with a shopping cart, which initially positions itself as the software to launch and manage blogs, small web stores and portfolios. The service works as a great Etsy alternative for creatives willing to showcase their products in the best way. Websites created with it have appealing look and are well-structured to provide decent performance (see live proofs).
The website builder has a set of specific eCommerce tools specially meant to bring your web store performance to the brand new level (social media buttons, image and photo galleries, drag-and-drop editor, abandoned shopping cart recovery etc.). The system also makes it possible to connect a SSL Certificate absolutely for free, integrate a shopping cart into any web page, create product show windows, embed Google Maps, enable commenting and email marketing features.
The major Squarespace advantages include:
- Social Media Integration. It is possible to integrate social media accounts into your web store, namely Tumblr, Instagram, Dribbble, Linkedin, Behance, Twitch, Yelp, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Dropbox, Pinterest, SoundCloud and more.
- Product Management Options. Squarespace lets you upload and manage the unlimited product catalogue with multiple variants and SKUs, organize the items with tags and categories, adjust visibility and scheduling settings etc.
- Integrated Statistics Collection Tool. There is an opportunity to integrate Google Analytics tools or select specialized Squarespace Metrics App to keep track of your web store performance.
- Responsive Niche Templates. Squarespace has a limited eCommerce template collection, but the quality of the themes (which are responsive by default) is on the top notch level.
- Contact Form Builder. You can either use the inbuilt contact form to customize your online store or select the Contact Form Builder to create your own exquisite users’ accusation tools.
- Customer Engagement Tools. With Squarespace, you can boost your customer engagement rate by embedding videos, images and products into your web store pages, blog posts, events etc.
- Multiple Contributors. Squarespace encourages for team work on web store development – it’s up to you to control the web design process, assigning special access rights to your team members.
- Acuity Scheduling. This is a professional online appointment scheduling system, which will be appreciated to the advantage by web store owners willing to establish reliable web presence for their local business.
Squarespace doesn’t have a free plan, but it offers a 14-day trial period. If you wish to launch a full-featured online store, you can subscribe to one of the paid plans the website builder offers. Their cost starts from $12 per month.
8. uKit – Cheaper Alternative to Etsy
uKit – is a cheaper alternative to Etsy, which has won user popularity due to its impressive simplicity and convenience. This is also the platform, which is considered one of the best systems for small business website creation. At the same time, the website builder is a great pick for the development of blogs, landing pages, web stores and portfolios.
The service stands out from the crowd due to its intuitive drag-and-drop editor, availability of responsive themes and basic eCommerce features/tools. The choice of eCommerce designs is really stunning here. Users get access to over 400 high end templates, all of which are responsive, free and customizable. They can be viewed on mobile and desktop device by using the preview feature available by default.
The list of other uKit pros is as follows:
- Impressive Simplicity. uKit comes with an integrated WYSIWYG editor, which makes it easy for beginners and web design pros to create quality web projects.
- No Coding Required. You don’t have to be a coding expert to start web stores with the system – so intuitive it is by default.
- All-In-One Service. The website builder comes as a full-featured system with integrated domain and hosting.
- Integration Options. The system allows choosing and integrating free and paid extensions/apps, including Media Widgets (SlideShare, Video, SoundCloud, News, Timer, Steps etc.), widgets of social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram etc.), Contacts (LiveAgent, Callback Forms, MailChimp, LiveChat, Jivo, Cost Calculator – uCalc) etc.
- Blogging Platform. With uKit, you can connect a blog to your web store to encourage better user interaction.
- eCommerce Engine. uKit lets you start a digital store in one of two ways – either by Ecwid plugin connection or eCommerce widget integration.
Speaking about pricing policy, uKit doesn’t have a completely free plan yet there is a 14-day trial that lets you test the platform to explore its features. Likewise, there are 4 premium subscriptions here. The most cost-effective solution constitutes $4/mo.
How to Embed Etsy Into Website
Do you already own a website and wish to give it eCommerce focus? Embedding Etsy doesn’t take much effort, time or knowledge at all. Even a beginner can handle the process with almost no problems by following a list of guidelines the platform generates.
Whether your website is built with a website builder or CMS, the first thing you should do is to add the Etsy plugin by installing and activating it. Right after that, you should access the Settings section available on the Etsy Shop page to get the API key to initiate the store connection procedure. Then reach the control panel of your website and paste the API key you’ve just copied. Save the changes and proceed to managing your Etsy shop now. That’s it!
There are numerous worthy Etsy alternatives for all those users, who are not satisfied with the marketplace for some reason. They differ in characteristics, feature sets and pricing, but all of them allow creating nice and full-featured online stores.
Choosing the service that will be the best alternative to Etsy is really a challenge. It takes time and effort to define the most suitable service, which will also come up to your needs, skills and requirements. That’s exactly why, we recommend testing all the platforms reviewed in the article to make the choice you will be completely satisfied with.