What you should realize is that Ecwid is not a full-fledged eCommerce website builder. This is just the plugin that can help you connect a web store to the existing website in quite a short period of time. Even though, it comes with functionality features required to launch an individual online store, it notably lags behind popular website builders in terms of template quality and information presentation.
Ecwid may work well for a small web store, but as your business starts developing, you will realize that it requires a more advanced feature set. What’s more, Ecwid is a paid plugin (for more than 10 products), which does not satisfy users, who are pressed for budget or wish to invest it into further web store development instead of paying for the tool and for website hosting. These are the major factors that make Ecwid users look for simpler and more functional Ecwid alternatives.
Website builders can be a perfect substitute to Ecwid. Having explored dozens of platforms, we have compiled the list of the best services. If you are currently concerned with the issue, you are welcome to consider using one of these top website builders.
Best Ecwid Alternatives
What makes website builders a decent choice for launching an eCommerce website? These services are initially focused on the needs and skills of inexperienced web designers.
Instead of wasting your effort and time on improving your web design skills, you may focus on your web store specialization, marketing and promotion nuances as well as on customer generation.
Website builders are simple and convenient right from the start. They frequently provide users with text and video how-to-guides and articles on how to get the most of the web design process.
Shopify – is the world popular eCommerce software that does not require any presentation at all. This is a specialized service, the major focus of which goes down to the development and management of small-to-large online stores. It has everything a seller might need to get the most out of the website’s sales efficacy. Here are the major highlights of the platform:
- Responsive eCommerce Templates. Being initially oriented on the development of online stores, the software offers a rich template gallery of free and paid responsive eCommerce themes as well as versatile design customization tools.
- Buy Button. Shopify allows integrating its Buy Button into the existing website or Facebook pages to let your customers buy from you.
- Point-of-Sale Software. The service comes with the advanced POS feature to enable the entrepreneurs sell their products both in online and offline modes to maximize their profit.
- Amazon Marketplace Synchronization. If you have a successful experience of trading on Amazon, you can synchronize your account with that on Shopify to effectively grow customer base and boost sales volume.
- Shopcodes. Available for free in the Shopify App Store, the feature makes mobile shopping easier by the use of product QR codes that provide the exhaustive information about them.
- Live View. The feature makes it possible to view your account statistics (conversion rates, sales volume, order info and statuses, information about visitors, number of pages viewed by clients etc.) in the real-time mode to track your online store productivity, customer trends and other notable marketing and sales aspects.
- Abandoned Checkout Recovery. Shopify helps you boost your product sales by sending automatic emails to customers, who have not completed their purchases and abandoned their shopping carts for some reason.
- Augmented Reality. The feature enhances the efficacy of the online shopping process by giving it interactive touch (your customers will be able to view product images in the 3D mode to find out their detailed characteristics and examine them from different sides).
- Fraud Protection. Being available for the US entrepreneurs only, the feature contributes to the safety of your Shopify payments and your client info.
Cost: Shopify doesn’t have a free plan, offering four paid options instead. The cost of the plans starts with $9/mo for the cheapest subscription and reaches $299/mo for the most costly plan. The software doesn’t charge any fees for the transactions made within the system yet it has commissions rates for credit card payments.
Wix – is the easiest Ecwid alternative, which is the all-in-one solution for creating different types of websites, including online stores. Wix is simple, intuitive and convenient for all user categories, irrespective of the expertise rate and skills. Its visual editor makes it possible to control all the steps of the web design process, while drag-and-drop feature cuts down the development time. The main advantages of the website builder are listed below:
- Versatility of Mobile-Ready eCommerce Templates. The website builder has an impressive selection of eCommerce templates and a set of customization tools, which ensure safe and convenient web building process.
- Simple Online Store Management. Whatever store you create with the system, it will be easy for you to customize it, tracking the order details and statuses, managing inventory lists, setting up product parameters and characteristics, indicating their stock amount, sending ShoutOut mailouts to customers etc.
- Secure Payment Options. Wix ensures the utmost safety of each transaction made and makes it possible to choose between different payment options, including PayPal, credit cards and what not. It is up to you to set taxes, prices, shipping terms and guidelines to make your customers feel safe about their money and confidential information.
- Product Galleries. With Wix, you can showcase your products and their characteristics by uploading their photos and creating image galleries directly at the website.
Cost: Wix offers a free plan, which never expires and lets you create as many websites as you need to improve your skills. If you have more serious eCommerce intentions, it makes sense to go for a separate eCommerce plan, which costs $16.50/mo. This is a perfect choice for the development and effective management of your online store.
Weebly – is a website builder, which is built with the eCommerce focus in mind. In April 2018, the system has announced its merge with Square, which has positive impact upon the development of online stores. The platform comes with the drag-and-drop editor and box model structure that makes the process of website development simpler and more convenient for newbies. Experienced web designers can make use of their CSS/HTML knowledge to launch top notch websites with unique design. Let’s have a look at the main advantages of the website builder now:
- eCommerce Designs. Weebly offers a worthy collection of themes, which feature high quality, responsive nature and can be easily customized for mobile and desktop viewing.
- CSV File Import/Export. If you decide to migrate from/to Weebly, you can easily do that by importing/exporting product files in the CSV format.
- Email Marketing. You can send email notifications to customers to keep them aware of recent updates, web store news and special offers.
- Weebly Promote Tool. By using the tool, you can introduce your products to the advantage, thus contributing to their better promotion.
- Search Filter. Users can look for the products they are interested in by using the search filter, which makes it possible to sort out the items by their major characteristics (type, size, cost, dimensions, color etc.)
Cost: Weebly offers pricing plans for eCommerce projects. The cost of the plans starts with $8/mo to reach $25/mo. Apart from that, you can use the exclusive Performance Plan, which is a great choice for retailers, who have long-terms goals. The cost of the plan is $38/mo for those users, who decide to buy the annual subscription at once.
Squarespace – is a nice substitute to Ecwid as it lets you showcase the products in the most favorable light by using the rich feature set of the system. Web stores developed with the platform have appealing designs and logical structure that contributes to their performance. The most distinctive features of the website builder are as follows:
- Customer Engagement Tools. Squarespace offers a set of tools that can boost customer attention, encouraging users to explore the platform and build websites with it (video and image embedding, product gallery creation, blog post publication, event creation and management etc.).
- Integrated Statistics Collection. If you wish to track your web store performance, you can integrate Google Analytics or use Squarespace Metrics App to be able to analyze the results and draw corresponding conclusions on time.
- eCommerce Themes. The website builder cannot boast multiple niche templates, but those that are available to the entrepreneurs, feature responsive nature, high quality, flexibility and customizability.
- Contact Form Builder. Squarespace makes it possible to use integrated contact forms or create those of your own via the application of the Contact Form Builder.
Cost: Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan, although, it is possible to test the service for 14 days at no cost. If you have an intention to design a full-fledged eCommerce website, you are welcome to get a paid subscription. The cost of the paid plans starts with $12/mo and goes up to $40/mo based on the terms and features implied.
Etsy – is the global marketplace, which was developed with the needs of crafters in mind. The platform allows creating small-to-mid online stores for selling exclusive products. If you wish to offer any other physical or digital items for sale, Etsy won’t work for this purpose at all. The platform is easy to use as it is geared towards the needs of users, who don’t have any web design background. Let’s enlist is major benefits:
- Multiple Listings. The system allows creating and managing the unlimited number of product listings, which are available for 4 months and should be updated afterwards, if needed.
- Statistics Collection. The service lets you preview your web store statistics, analyze orders and sales, assign shipping and payment parameters to let you stay aware of the current website performance.
- Stock Keeping Unit (SKU) Feature. The feature helps you keep track of your inventory to know how many product items you have in stock not to frustrate your customers’ expectations.
- CSV File Import/Export. If you decide to switch to/from Etsy, you can safely export/import your products in the CSV file format.
Cost: Unlike the majority of eCommerce website builders, Etsy doesn’t have any paid plans. Users have to pay for each listing, the cost of which constitutes $0.20. The listing remains active for 4 months. At the end of the term, you’ll have to update it, if needed, making the payment once again. Additionally, Etsy charges commission fees for every successful sale. The fee is fixed and constitutes 3.5% of the final cost of the sold product.
When looking for a decent Ecwid alternative, you may come across multiple solutions. The services differ in cost, main characteristics, features, niche orientation and objectives. But there is one thing that unites these platforms – their strong focus on the development of eCommerce websites.
TOP Ecwid Alternatives:
Shopify is the world-known eCommerce software, which has distinguished itself as the most popular niche leader that makes it possible to create small web stores and hypermarkets, irrespective of skills and web design experience of users.
Wix is the easiest and the most popular Ecwid alternative, which offers an extensive feature set, high quality templates, affordable pricing policy and intuitive web design process understandable both to beginners and web design experts.
Weebly – is the eCommerce focused website builder, which is known for its distinctive feature set, niche templates and customization tools required to launch and manage online stores without any programming skills required.
Squarespace – is a website builder, which is a nice solution for users, who are concerned with decent online presentation of their products and are looking for the service that will comply with their major eCommerce requirements.
Etsy is the global marketplace of handmade products, the main focus of which is selling DIY items and original unique or vintage products crafted by ordinary users, who cannot boast deep web design skills yet intend to give their works decent online presentation.
It goes without saying that choosing the best Ecwid alternative may pose a problem. The process requires deep understanding of the subject matter as well as effort and time investment.
However, you shouldn’t be in a hurry, if you really wish to find the service that will let you create a functional and appealing online store. The best way to do that is to test all the systems reviewed above to find out the features that make them stand out from the crowd and adopt a deliberate decision.