Ecwid – is a diverse platform designed to meet merchants’ needs. It comes as a web-based software that delivers two major options. First of all, users can make the most of the built-in website builder and develop their own digital stores from scratch. Secondly, the Ecwid eCommerce plugin makes it possible to integrate a fully-featured online shop with an existing website.
The system offers an array of selling and promotion tools. The website editor uses drag-and-drop functionality making it easy to create page design or structure with no coding skills. The bad news is that Ecwid is good only for small and medium merchants. It does not bring enough eCommerce instruments to grow your sales and brand.
Users will need to put up with limited customization features, a pretty complex product management system, and quite pricy plans. For this reason, we have conducted a list of trusted eCommerce-oriented platforms that might be a better alternative to Ecwid with more ways to grow your online business.
[Spoiler] Here’s a List of the Best Ecwid Alternatives:
How to Choose The Best Ecwid Alternative For You
Ecwid is an eCommerce plugin, which defines its major sphere of application. The software lets you create all types of online stores to sell digital and physical items. As a plugin, however, it comes with a number of limitations that frequently don’t let users get the most out of their business. What’s more, plugin integration requires at least baseline coding proficiency, which often poses a problem to beginners. This is where the search of the best Ecwid alternatives becomes not a whim, but a necessity.
There are a few aspects to keep in mind when selecting a worthy substitute to this eCommerce plugin. There are various systems you can use to launch a web store. Generally, you’ll be offered to pick one of two options – all-in-one web design platforms that provide a more flexible approach to the website creation process and specialized eCommerce systems, the entire feature set of which is geared towards digital store creation.
Each of these platforms comes with its pros, cons, special features and pricing options. You need to explore and compare them to select the software, which ideally comes up to your individual eCommerce web design requirements.
Another thing to consider is your web design background. Contemporary niche abounds in systems created for diverse user categories. If you are ot a coding pro, then it is better to opt for a simple and intuitive system. In case your programming awareness is above the average, it is reasonable to give preference to professional eCommerce software to avail advanced result.
Pricing policy is another crucial factor to consider. Just like web design tools differ in their integrated functionality, they also offer diverse pricing options. The cost of subscriptions depends on a variety of factors, such as services, terms and features included into each plan. Most systems offer free plans or trials that let you test the service you are interested in before upgrading to one of subscriptions it has. This is very convenient for everyone.
The Different Types of Ecwid Alternatives
Prior to picking the eCommerce systems, which corresponds most to your requirements and project specifications, you have to find out more about the available options. There are three popular types of web design platforms, which differ in integrated functionality, pricing, complexity level, general approach to website development and degree of coding expertise required. Here they go:
- Online website builders – cloud-based platforms used to start all types of simple and complex web projects;
- Offline website builders – downloadable platforms that require preliminary installation yet deliver a rich spectrum of design customization capabilities;
- CMS (Content Management Systems) – powerful software, which abounds in high end features and tools that allow starting feature-rich and complex web projects yet imply a certain web design background.
Each of the systems listed above has its renowned representatives in the web design market. Whatever software type you are interested in, you will be encouraged to find out more about the available options. Have a look at some reviews now.
Shopify – All-In-One Commerce Solution
Shopify – is a world popular all-in-one commerce solution that does not require any presentation at all. Like Ecwid, this is a specialized service, the major focus of which goes down to the development and management of small-to-large online stores. It has everything a seller might need to get the most out of the website’s sales efficacy.
Being initially oriented on the development of online stores, the software offers a rich template gallery of free and paid responsive eCommerce themes as well as versatile design customization tools. The service also comes with the advanced Point-Of-Sale (POS) software to enable the entrepreneurs sell their products both in online and offline modes to maximize their profit.
Here are the major highlights of the platform:
- Buy Button. Shopify allows integrating its Buy Button into the existing website or Facebook pages to let your customers buy from you.
- Amazon Marketplace Synchronization. If you have a successful experience of trading on Amazon, you can synchronize your account with that on Shopify to effectively grow customer base and boost sales volume.
- Shopcodes. Available for free in the Shopify App Store, the feature makes mobile shopping easier by the use of product QR codes that provide the exhaustive information about them.
- Live View. The feature makes it possible to view your account statistics (conversion rates, sales volume, order info and statuses, information about visitors, number of pages viewed by clients, etc.) in the real-time mode to track your online store productivity, customer trends, and other notable marketing and sales aspects.
- Abandoned Checkout Recovery. Shopify helps you boost your product sales by sending automatic emails to customers, who have not completed their purchases and abandoned their shopping carts for some reason.
- Augmented Reality. The feature enhances the efficacy of the online shopping process by giving it interactive touch (your customers will be able to view product images in the 3D mode to find out their detailed characteristics and examine them from different sides).
- Multi Language Support. With Shopify, you can start a web store in several languages of your choice to target internations partners and customers.
Shopify doesn’t have a free plan, offering four paid options instead. The cost of the plans starts with $9/mo for the cheapest subscription and reaches $299/mo for the most costly plan. The software doesn’t charge any fees for the transactions made within the system yet it has commissions rates for credit card payments.
Wix – The Best eCommerce-Ready Website Builder
Wix – is the best eCommerce-ready website builder and the easiest Ecwid alternative. This is the all-in-one solution for creating different types of websites, including online stores. Wix is simple, intuitive and convenient for all user categories, irrespective of the expertise rate and skills.
The visual editor of the system makes it possible to control all the steps of the web design process, while drag-and-drop feature cuts down the development time (see real Wix eCommerce examples). The website builder has an impressive selection of eCommerce templates and a set of customization tools, which ensure safe and convenient web building process.
The main advantages of the website builder are listed below:
- Simple Online Store Management. Whatever store you create with the system, it will be easy for you to customize it, tracking the order details and statuses, managing inventory lists, setting up product parameters and characteristics, indicating their stock amount, sending ShoutOut mailouts to customers, etc.
- Secure Payment Options. Wix ensures the utmost safety of each transaction made and makes it possible to choose between different payment options, including PayPal, credit cards, and what not.
- Product Galleries. With Wix, you can showcase your products and their characteristics by uploading their photos and creating image galleries directly on the website.
- Blogging and Forum. The website builder lets you connect a forum and a blog to your digital store to drive customer attention and encourage for communication.
- Multilingual Support. The platform supports multilingual feature to let users start web stores in various languages based on their requirements and objectives.
- Design Editing Options. The system offers two website editing options – powerful Wix ADI tool that allows for automated website editing process and Standard Wix Editor, which lets you use the entire toolset of the system for more flexible web store customization.
- Ascend By Wix. The all-in-one CRM software, which encompasses over 20 business tools to ensure effective development, marketing and promotion of your digital store.
- Wix App Market. The website builder has an integrated App Market with dozens of free and paid applications/widgets used to enhance web store performance and design.
The software has an unlimited free plan, which is good for newbies who do not want to pay in advance without understanding how the system works. However, the free subscription is not enough even for a content-based site not mentioning a digital store. Luckily, Wix has a separate kit for merchants and business owners. The cost of eCommerce subscriptions starts from $23/mo.
WooCommerce – eCommerce For WordPress
WooCommerce – is an open-source eCommerce for WordPress users. It is available as a free plugin that is easy to set and run. It delivers various product management tools, built-in integrations, and premium extensions to boost revenues, acquire users, improve conversions, etc.
Although WooCommerce does not let you actually create a shop from the blank, it is a better solution when paired with any of the eCommerce WordPress themes. The plugin comes with support for various currencies and payment gateways. Also, you are free to manage shipping rates and requirements, tax calculation and more.
The key WooCommerce features are as follows:
- Intuitive Control Panel. To set up the plugin, simply follow initial recommendations guides, create new pages, edit content the same way you do it in any other WordPress article.
- Product Management. Users are free to edit all major fields on the product page, including item descriptions, titles, and images, SEO meta tags, product categories etc.
- Extensions. While you are supposed to use WooCommerce with the WordPress theme, you will have access to other free and paid plugins that serve eCommerce and other needs (email marketing services, SEO widgets, ad banners, promotions etc.).
- Payment and Web Store Customization Options. You can connect PayPal or Stripe, add the WooCommerce Booking feature, provide Membership access to other teammates, connect Amazon Pay, install Product Add-Ons, and more.
Like many other WordPress plugins, WooCommerce is initially free. But with a free version, you get only baseline functionality that includes product management and the ability to accept online payments via PayPal or Stripe. If you need to grow your shop, the paid extension will cost you from $40 to $300 and more depending on the service. Besides, the plugin itself will not work without a website, hosting, and domain name. This is where Bluehost WooCommerce-optimized plans will come in handy costing from $6/95 to $12.95 per month.
Squarespace – Easy eCommerce Alternative to Ecwid
Squarespace – is an easy eCommerce alternative to Ecwid as it lets you showcase the products in the most favorable light by using the rich feature set of the system. Web stores developed with the platform have appealing designs and logical structure that contributes to their performance.
The website builder cannot boast multiple niche templates, but those that are available to the entrepreneurs, feature responsive nature, high quality, flexibility, and customizability. You may take a look at Squarespace eCommerce websites here.
The most distinctive features of the website builder are as follows:
- Powerful eCommerce Functionality. The website builder comes with powerful integrated eCommerce features/tools to ensure quality web store development (image and photo galleries, social media integration, drag-and-drop editor, abandoned shopping cart recovery, free SSL Certificate connection, Google Maps embedding etc.).
- Product Management Options. Squarespace lets users create and manage product catalogues (upload multiple variants and SKUs, adjust visibility and scheduling settings, organize products with tags and categories etc.).
- Customer Engagement Tools. The system offers a set of tools that can boost customer attention, encouraging users to explore the platform and build websites with it (video and image embedding, product gallery creation, blog post-publication, event creation, and management, etc.).
- Integrated Statistics Collection. If you wish to track your web store performance, you can integrate Google Analytics or use Squarespace Metrics App to be able to analyze the results and draw corresponding conclusions on time.
- Contact Form Builder. Squarespace makes it possible to use integrated contact forms or create those of your own via the application of the Contact Form Builder.
- Multiple Contributors. The website builder makes it possible to work on project creation with a team of other members, assigning various access rights to each contributor.
- Acuity Scheduling. Squarespace has a professional online appointment scheduling system, which contributes to effective management of small business/eCommerce projects.
Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan, although, it is possible to test the service for 14 days at no cost. If you have an intention to design a full-fledged eCommerce website, you are welcome to get a paid subscription. The cost of the paid plans starts from $12/mo and goes up to $40/mo based on the terms and features implied.
Weebly – Ecwid Alternative for eCommerce Website
Weebly – is a feature-rich Ecwid alternative for eCommerce website. In April 2018, the system has announced its merge with Square, which has a positive impact on the development of online stores. The platform comes with the drag-and-drop editor and box model structure that makes the process of website development simpler and more convenient for newbies.
The website builder offers a worthy collection of themes, which feature high quality, responsive nature and can be easily customized for mobile and desktop viewing. Experienced web designers can make use of their CSS/HTML knowledge to launch top-notch websites with a unique design (take a look at live Weebly-powered online stores).
Let’s have a look at the main advantages of the website builder now:
- CSV File Import/Export. If you decide to migrate from/to Weebly, you can easily do that by importing/exporting product files in the CSV format.
- Email Marketing. You can send email notifications to customers to keep them aware of recent updates, web store news, and special offers.
- Weebly Promote Tool. By using the tool, you can introduce your products to the advantage, thus contributing to their better promotion.
- Blogging Engine. The website builder has a powerful integrated blogging platform, which allows connecting a blog to your web store and managing it, when required to enhance customer engagement rate.
- Search Filter. Users can look for the products they are interested in by using the search filter, which makes it possible to sort out the items by their major characteristics (type, size, cost, dimensions, color, etc.).
- Powerful Integrations. The system grants access to various widgets/apps (maps, media files, image collections, slideshows, search boxes etc.) you can integrate into your digital store.
Weebly offers pricing plans for eCommerce projects. The cost of the plans starts from $4/mo to reach $26/mo. There is also a free subscription to test the baseline integrated functionality of the system in order to decide on the plan to go for.
SITE123 – Absolutely Free Alternative to Ecwid
SITE123 – is an absolutely free alternative to Ecwid, which is used to start different types of web projects. Online stores are not an exception. The system is known for its simplicity and convenience for everyone – it was initially created with the needs and skills of beginners in mind. The use of the website builder does not imply any coding proficiency, which makes it a great choice for non-techies.
The platform also stands out from the crowd due to its extensive collection of quality designs. They are free, responsive and customizable by default. There is a separate category of eCommerce themes here users may browse to pick the one that fits their web store specialization most.
Other SITE123 highlights encompass:
- eCommerce Widgets. The platform grants access to the set of widgets used for eCommerce projects, including Live Chat, Galleries, Online Forms, Social Widgets etc.
- App Market. The website builder includes an extensive App Market with dozens of free and paid extensions used to boost web store performance.
- Blogging Engine. SITE123 involves a quality blogging platform that allows connecting a feature-rich blog to your web store in order to grow customer interest rate.
- Multilingual Support. The system supports multilingual feature, which lets users start web stores in several languages with regard to their needs.
- Logo Maker. With SITE123, you can design and integrate a logo into your digital store to enhance brand reputation and make it stand out from the crowd.
- Online Form Builder. The website builder allows integrating online forms into eCommerce projects to enhance their functionality and to contribute to customer convenience.
SITE123 is also known for its affordable pricing policy. Actually, this is one of the simplest web design platforms in the modern market. Users can test its features for free, using the corresponding plan. To get access to more advanced features/tools, it is a must to upgrade to one of the premium plans. Their cost starts from $10.80 per month.
Ecwid – is a good option for small and medium online shops. Merchants will benefit from different approaches in terms of creating a digital store. The software will suit their needs either they have a running website but with no store or they want to build a new eCommerce project from scratch. Simple editing, multiple widgets to integrate, drag-and-drop functionality, free plan, and other options make it a worthy tool.
But when it comes to growing and scalable online business, Ecwid might not work due to a lack of customization features and complexity when it comes to managing multiple product types and categories. Luckily, the list of reviewed options contains more flexible eCommerce solutions in terms of not only delivered instruments but also pricing.