Ecwid – is a diverse platform designed to meet merchants’ needs. It comes as a web-based software that delivers two major options. First of all, users can make the most of the built-in website builder and develop their own digital stores from scratch. Secondly, the Ecwid eCommerce plugin makes it possible to integrate a fully-featured online shop with an existing website.
The system offers an array of selling and promotion tools. The website editor uses drag-and-drop functionality making it easy to create page design or structure with no coding skills. The bad news is that Ecwid is good only for small and medium merchants. It does not bring enough eCommerce instruments to grow your sales and brand.
Users will need to put up with limited customization features, a pretty complex product management system, and quite pricy plans. For this reason, we have conducted a list of trusted eCommerce-oriented platforms that might be a better alternative to Ecwid with more ways to grow your online business.
The Best Alternatives to Ecwid:
Shopify – All-In-One Commerce Solution
Shopify – is the world popular eCommerce software that does not require any presentation at all. Like Ecwid, this is a specialized service, the major focus of which goes down to the development and management of small-to-large online stores. It has everything a seller might need to get the most out of the website’s sales efficacy. Here are the major highlights of the platform:
- Responsive eCommerce Templates. Being initially oriented on the development of online stores, the software offers a rich template gallery of free and paid responsive eCommerce themes as well as versatile design customization tools.
- Buy Button. Shopify allows integrating its Buy Button into the existing website or Facebook pages to let your customers buy from you.
- Point-of-Sale Software. The service comes with the advanced POS feature to enable the entrepreneurs to sell their products both in online and offline modes to maximize their profit.
- Amazon Marketplace Synchronization. If you have a successful experience of trading on Amazon, you can synchronize your account with that on Shopify to effectively grow customer base and boost sales volume.
- Shopcodes. Available for free in the Shopify App Store, the feature makes mobile shopping easier by the use of product QR codes that provide the exhaustive information about them.
- Live View. The feature makes it possible to view your account statistics (conversion rates, sales volume, order info and statuses, information about visitors, number of pages viewed by clients, etc.) in the real-time mode to track your online store productivity, customer trends, and other notable marketing and sales aspects.
- Abandoned Checkout Recovery. Shopify helps you boost your product sales by sending automatic emails to customers, who have not completed their purchases and abandoned their shopping carts for some reason.
- Augmented Reality. The feature enhances the efficacy of the online shopping process by giving it interactive touch (your customers will be able to view product images in the 3D mode to find out their detailed characteristics and examine them from different sides).
Shopify price: Shopify doesn’t have a free plan, offering four paid options instead. The cost of the plans starts with $9/mo for the cheapest subscription and reaches $299/mo for the most costly plan. The software doesn’t charge any fees for the transactions made within the system yet it has commissions rates for credit card payments.
Wix – The Best eCommerce-Ready Website Builder
Wix – is the easiest Ecwid alternative, which is the all-in-one solution for creating different types of websites, including online stores. Wix is simple, intuitive and convenient for all user categories, irrespective of the expertise rate and skills. Its visual editor makes it possible to control all the steps of the web design process, while drag-and-drop feature cuts down the development time (see real Wix eCommerce examples). The main advantages of the website builder are listed below:
- Versatility of Mobile-Ready eCommerce Templates. The website builder has an impressive selection of eCommerce templates and a set of customization tools, which ensure safe and convenient web building process.
- Simple Online Store Management. Whatever store you create with the system, it will be easy for you to customize it, tracking the order details and statuses, managing inventory lists, setting up product parameters and characteristics, indicating their stock amount, sending ShoutOut mailouts to customers, etc.
- Secure Payment Options. Wix ensures the utmost safety of each transaction made and makes it possible to choose between different payment options, including PayPal, credit cards, and what not. It is up to you to set taxes, prices, shipping terms, and guidelines to make your customers feel safe about their money and confidential information.
- Product Galleries. With Wix, you can showcase your products and their characteristics by uploading their photos and creating image galleries directly on the website.
Wix Price: the software has an unlimited free plan, which is good for newbies who do not want to pay in advance without understanding how the system works. However, the free subscription is not enough even for a content-based site not mentioning a digital store. Luckily, Wix has a separate kit for merchants and business owners. The Business Basic plan is $23 per month with a chance to set online payments and start selling products. As your shop grows, you may switch to Business Unlimited or Business VIP plans costing $27 and $49 respectively.
WooCommerce – eCommerce For WordPress
WooCommerce – is an open-spruce eCommerce platform built for WordPress users. It is available as a free plugin that is easy to set and run. It delivers various product management tools, built-in integrations, and premium extensions to boost revenues, acquire users, improve conversions, etc. Although it does not let you actually create a shop from the blank, it is a better solution when paired with any of the eCommerce WordPress themes.
The key WooCommerce features are as follows:
- Intuitive Control Panel – from the moment you get to start with the plugin to product page editing, WooCommerce looks rather simple. To set up the plugin simply follow initial recommendations guides, create new pages, edit content the same way you do it in any other WordPress article. Some of the built-in features like payment options are activated by default. You only need to choose the preferred one in the plugin settings.
- Built-In Features – the plugin comes with support for various currencies and payment gateways. Also, you are free to manage shipping rates and requirements, tax calculation, and ore.
- Product Management – users are free to edit all major fields on the product page. They include not only item descriptions, titles, and images, but also SEO meta tags, product categories, so on.
- Extensions – while you are supposed to use WooCommerce with the WordPress theme, you will have access to other plugins that serve eCommerce and other needs. They include email marketing services SEO widgets, ad banners, promotions, etc. Besides, WooCommerce comes with a set of its custom extensions and integrations. You can connect PayPal or Stripe, add the WooCommerce Booking feature, provide Membership access to other teammates, connect Amazon Pay, install Product Add-Ons, and more. Some extensions are free to use while some are paid.
WooCommerce price: like many other WordPress plugins, WooCommerce is initially free. But with a free version, you get only baseline functionality that includes product management and the ability to accept online payments via PayPal or Stripe. If you need to grow your shop, the paid extension will cost you from $40 to $300 and more depending on the service. Besides, the plugin itself will not work without a website, hosting, and domain name. This is where Bluehost WooCommerce-optimized plans will come in handy costing from $6/95 to $12.95 per month.
Squarespace – Easy eCommerce Alternative to Ecwid
Squarespace – is a nice substitute to Ecwid as it lets you showcase the products in the most favorable light by using the rich feature set of the system. Web stores developed with the platform have appealing designs and logical structure that contributes to their performance. The most distinctive features of the website builder are as follows:
- Customer Engagement Tools. Squarespace offers a set of tools that can boost customer attention, encouraging users to explore the platform and build websites with it (video and image embedding, product gallery creation, blog post-publication, event creation, and management, etc.).
- Integrated Statistics Collection. If you wish to track your web store performance, you can integrate Google Analytics or use Squarespace Metrics App to be able to analyze the results and draw corresponding conclusions on time.
- eCommerce Themes. The website builder cannot boast multiple niche templates, but those that are available to the entrepreneurs, feature responsive nature, high quality, flexibility, and customizability. You may take a look at Squarespace eCommerce websites here.
- Contact Form Builder. Squarespace makes it possible to use integrated contact forms or create those of your own via the application of the Contact Form Builder.
Squarespace price: Squarespace doesn’t offer a free plan, although, it is possible to test the service for 14 days at no cost. If you have an intention to design a full-fledged eCommerce website, you are welcome to get a paid subscription. The cost of the paid plans starts with $12/mo and goes up to $40/mo based on the terms and features implied.
Weebly – Ecwid Alternative for eCommerce Website
Weebly – is a website builder, which is built with the eCommerce focus in mind. In April 2018, the system has announced its merge with Square, which has a positive impact on the development of online stores. The platform comes with the drag-and-drop editor and box model structure that makes the process of website development simpler and more convenient for newbies. Experienced web designers can make use of their CSS/HTML knowledge to launch top-notch websites with a unique design (take a look at live Weebly-powered online stores). Let’s have a look at the main advantages of the website builder now:
- eCommerce Designs. Weebly offers a worthy collection of themes, which feature high quality, responsive nature and can be easily customized for mobile and desktop viewing.
- CSV File Import/Export. If you decide to migrate from/to Weebly, you can easily do that by importing/exporting product files in the CSV format.
- Email Marketing. You can send email notifications to customers to keep them aware of recent updates, web store news, and special offers.
- Weebly Promote Tool. By using the tool, you can introduce your products to the advantage, thus contributing to their better promotion.
- Search Filter. Users can look for the products they are interested in by using the search filter, which makes it possible to sort out the items by their major characteristics (type, size, cost, dimensions, color, etc.)
Weebly price: Weebly offers pricing plans for eCommerce projects. The cost of the plans starts at $6/mo to reach $26/mo. Apart from a free plan, users may opt for Personal (from $6), Professional (from $9), and Performance plan (from $26). Besides, you can use the exclusive Performance Plan, which is a great choice for retailers, who have long-term goals. The cost of the plan is $38/mo for those users, who decide to buy the annual subscription at once.
Ecwid – is a good option for small and medium online shops. Merchants will benefit from different approaches in terms of creating a digital store. The software will suit their needs either they have a running website but with no store or they want to build a new eCommerce project from scratch. Simple editing, multiple widgets to integrate, drag-and-drop functionality, free plan, and other options make it a worthy tool.
But when it comes to growing and scalable online business, Ecwid might not work due to a lack of customization features and complexity when it comes to managing multiple product types and categories. Luckily, the list of reviewed options contains more flexible eCommerce solutions in terms of not only delivered instruments but also pricing.