A clan website is a must for a group of serious gamers. This is one of those things that distinguish good players from the best ones. The thing is that only genuine interest helps reach global goals and create the right image against the background of less lucky gamers. When thinking about clan website creation, you may choose between two popular options – website builders and open source CMS.
Why website builders? That’s simple: it is more convenient to pay for the hosting, connect the domain name to the website and manage it afterwards. Having chosen the niche system, you will also avail unique functionality right from the start. You won’t have to learn anything. It’s easy to create and manage clan websites without any specific skills.
When it comes to the cost aspect, you won’t face problems as well. Website builders are very affordable. You can even start building your gaming empire at almost no cost at all. Mind that some systems come with all-in-one features, while others are niche-focused and, thus, make it possible to start and manage only gaming websites.
Content Management Systems (CMS), in their turn, provide deep flexibility and offer advanced functionality. They grant access to multiple integration options and design customization tools that can bring your gaming website performance to the brand new level. Along with that, CMS are often more complicated, so, it may take more time to get used to them and to master their feature set.
Which of these systems are the most trustworthy, affordable and feature laden? Which platforms can ensure great results without any serious effort, money and time investment? It’s high time to find that out now. So, let’s get started.
IONOS – is a cheap clan website hosting and a cloud website builder. Both options are offered out-of-the-box, which is a great solution for users, who wish to save their time and effort. An important feature that is worth special attention is that Ionos is included in the list of the oldest hosts available out there. It certainly deserves user recognition in this respect. Another aspect is that Ionos does not require programming knowledge. The system is understandable and intuitive enough to be used even by beginners.
- Gaming/Clan Website Builder. With Ionos, you can set up and customize different types of web projects for personal and business use. Gaming/clan websites are not an exception. There is currently no separate section of templates for gaming websites yet the choice of other themes is quite extensive – just like the assortment of design customization options. Just select a suitable theme and access the dashboard to select tools for its professional editing.
- Standard and WordPress Hosting. As a reputable hosting provider, Ionos offers special groups of plans for standard and WordPress projects. This extends the software applicability as well as user choice. Whatever software you have used for your project creation, hosting it with Ioos will be easy, fast and affordable.
- Multilingual Projects. The system comes with a multilingual support feature. You can set up a gaming website in those languages you need for this very project based on the target audience, website specialization and other related settings. As a result, more users from all over the world will be able to join your project.
- Logo Maker. Starting a gaming website is only half of the business. To make it popular with users and to be able to withstand niche competition (which is, by the way, quite tough in the gaming industry), you have to make sure your website is recognizable. With Ionos Logo Maker tool, you will be able to design a unique project logo, using the toolset and elements available in stock.
Ionos pricing policy is cost-effective and quite affordable for everyone. You may choose separate plans for website builder and hosting, depending on the services you plan to order. If you need only a website builder, the cheapest plan will cost you $4/mo. This is, however, a discounted price for the first months of use. The price will increase after the term ends. As for the hosting, the most affordable subscription currently costs $1/mo only. That’s an impressingly cheap offer, indeed. However, the price is valid for 12 months of use only. Afterwards, it will also increase.
WordPress – is the best free CMS to create a gaming website. The software has gained immense reputability and recognition due to the extensive set of features, integration options and design customization tools it comes with. The system is a worthy solution for the development of all types of projects and gaming websites are not an exception. Mind, however, that, if you have never worked with WordPress before, it may take some time to get used to the system and master its features as well as the general web design approach.
- Plugin Integration – The CMS is initially known for its extensive choice of plugins, integration of which can add functionality to your project, bringing it to the brand new level. When it comes to the creation of gaming websites, it makes sense to pick and use the following extensions and plugins: Ultimate Member, Live Chat, Guild, ARMember and WoW Guild to mention a few.
- Gaming Templates – Along with a set of plugins, WordPress boasts a stunning collection of gaming templates. You can come across many of the on the web, choosing between free and paid options. Just browse the selection and pick the theme, which comes up to the clan/guild website you are working on.
- Coding – WordPress does not only allow using coding skills and knowledge – it implies doing that. If you possess some programming background, you’ll be able to give your clan website a personalized look, exclusive design and high end performance.
WordPress is not the easiest web building service, but it’s definitely a worthy professional tool, which will help you create an awesome feature-laden clan/guild website. The CMS is initially free to download, install and test. To publish the website, however, you’ll need to invest into domain, hosting (our choice is Bluehost with its $2.95/mo plan) as well as external templates, plugins and add-ons. The final cost will depend upon the number of integrated elements, hosting plan and template quality you will go for. Mind that, when choosing the Content Management System.
Enjin – is a specialized website builder, which was specially created for gamers, professionals and fans. It is a nice choice for everyone, who needs a quality gaming website offering all the required attributes. The mastering rate of the system is above the average and you will require skills, patience and attentiveness to use it. The platform offers superior functionality, which makes it the best website builder in the clan website creation niche.
- Module System – You can select your website functionality features on your own. There are different modules to choose from, including news, latest threads, online users, member list, forum, recent visitors etc. All in all, there are 37 modules here. Each of them can be customized with regard to your needs and preferences.
- Integrated Voice Server – You can set up Mumble or TeamSpeak 3 communication yourself. This means that voice communication during the battles may come via your own website.
- Enjin API – This is a tool, which allows creating your own modules. It will come in handy to experienced users.
- Minecraft Server – All Enjin users have a splendid opportunity to create a gaming Minecraft server. This is a perfect option for all the fans of this game, who wish to run and manage their own servers.
- Twitch Streaming Server Integration – You can stream your favorite channels from the most popular streaming gaming service at your website.
- Online Game Support – The service supports the majority of popular online games. What you need is to pick the game when launching a website, getting high compatibility rate and project personalization.
- SEO Tools – Enjin grants access to the rich set of SEO tools for better optimization of your clan website. Some of these options include meta tags and Google Analytics setup, friendly URL setup, sitemap.xml, robots. txt.
The website builder allows creating a gaming site at no cost at all. You can connect up to 20 modules, a forum, an opportunity to get donations, full integration with social services and even an online store. The only notable restriction is that you can’t connect your own domain.
Speaking about paid options, Enjin has two subscriptions – the Advanced Plan ($86.3 per year) and the Ultimate Plan ($287.9 per year). The difference between them is that the Ultimate Plan offers you all premium templates, the advanced API version, DDoS protection, plenty of disc storage space (50 GB) and more slots for TS3 or Mumble Server (25 against 5). Thus, the second plan offers you almost all the features as the first one, but these features are more extended and advanced here.
uCoz – is a free gaming community website builder, the feature set and functionality of which allow creating a full-fledged clan or guild website. It takes around a week to explore and master all the options of the service to launch a professional website. The service targets both newbies and web design pros, offering a variety of options for all categories of users. What you will get here is a variety of high quality templates, rich design customization tools, website code editing options (for those users, who possess HTML skills), individual doman connection and other features.
- Module Structure – The website builder allows creating websites out of multiple modules, which can be modified and adjusted to form a website structure. The modules are united by a single interface, lots of settings and options. Some of them include Users, Page Editor, Website News, Forum, Blog, Site Catalog, Ad Board, File Catalog, Photo Albums, Guest Book, Online Games, FAQ, Website Search, Tests, Mini Chat, Website Statistics, Online Store, Video, SEO module and more.
- Code Editing – The system grants full access to code editing options. By having control over HTML, CSS, PHP, JS, you will be able to make your clan website deeply customized for all categories of users. There is also FTP access here.
- Official uTemplate Store – Apart from multiple website templates belonging to different categories, uCoz also offers a pretty rich assortment of premium themes available in the official uTemplate brand store. There are paid and free variants here, which contributes to the efficiency of the design customization process.
- Free API Access – The service grants free API access, which allows web design pros to get the most out of the module customization options, creating new apps or website dashboards for clients.
- Powerful SEO Module – The website builder comes with a powerful SEO module, which makes it possible to set up, manage and automate ad campaigns, thus boosting website positions in the search engines.
For all those uCoz users, who plan to launch clan or guild websites for non-commercial use, the website builder offers a free never-expiring plan. Even though, the plan has an ad board displayed on a ready made website, it won’t be a hindrance to gaming fans and, thus, it will work great for the development of these websites.
As for paid subscriptions, uCoz has 6 plans. These are the Minimal Plan ($2.99/mo), the Educational Plan ($4.00/mo), the Basic Plan ($5.99/mo), the Optimal Plan ($7.99/mo), the Maximal Plan ($15.99/mo) and the Shop Plan ($9.99/mo). The difference between the plans is in the amount of disk space provided and the feature set the plans offer. The good news is that all uCoz plans offer notable discounts, if you decide to pay for 3 months/ 6 months/ a year in advance.
Wix – allows starting full-featured gaming projects, offering multiple tools and settings out-of-the-box. The undeniable highlights of the system is its ease-of-use that makes the platform applicable and understandable for all user categories – both beginners and web design pros. There is no need to learn coding aspects to get started with your project – so intuitive and simple it is. This is definitely an advantage, when it comes to the development of gaming/clan websites. If you are interested in using the service, go ahead to explore its major features now.
- Game Templates. The website builder has a separate category of game templates in its collection. They already come with pre-designed layouts and content blocks. You just need to replace the available content with that of your own, adjust template blocks and customize the design with regard to your gaming website parameters and specialization. If needed, you can also pick a blank theme to edit it from scratch. This, however, may require more effort and time.
- Game Widgets. Wix is known for its powerful App Market, which contains multiple free and paid extensions. Many of them work great for clan and gaming projects. These include Scalify for Facebook Ads to launch and scale Instagram/Facebook ads, Popups&Upsell by Personizely to boost sales with bars, popups and exit content etc.
- Gamify – Game Maker. This is a niche widget, which is available in the App Market, which can be used to create custom branded games for your website. The app increases your chances to capture new leads and to keep visitors interested in your brand. With Gamify, you can select games from an extensive library, customize them with regard to your brand parameters and then add the ready-made game to your website.
- Customer Interaction Tools. To enhance your gaming/clan website performance, you have an opportunity to use quite an impressive list of customer interaction tools. They are available as free and paid apps, having notable impact upon your project. Some of the most popular extensions include Live Chat, Google Event Calendar, Events Calendar, Wix Forms, 123 Form Builder, Inffuse Testimonials, Latest News, Wix Chat, Contact Management +CRM and more.
- Multilingual Support. If you intend to create a full-featured website for a vast audience from all over the world, making it multilingual will certainly be an advantage. Due to the availability of the Wix multilingual tool, this has now become possible. The software allows translating your project into any language without the need to set up new websites in separate languages.
- eCommerce. Wix comes with a powerful eCommerce engine, which allows adding a web store to your project by means of Wix Stores widget integration. This is a useful feature for those who plan to sell some game-related accessories, merchandise or other items via their websites.
Wix offers affordable pricing policy to all categories of subscribers. Beginners may use a free plan for as long as needed both to test the system and to practice their web design skills. To proceed to the development of a full-featured gaming project and to go live with it, upgrading to one of the premium plans is a must. Wix currently offers two types of paid subscriptions – Website and Business/eCommerce. Each group, correspondingly, includes more detailed plans to match the needs of non-coders and web experts. The most cost-effective solution costs $22/mo.
Xsolla – is a professional business engine for game developers and publishers. The platform is initially created for delivering gaming-specific solutions, including new startups and upgraded versions of popular games. The system allows growing target audiences, boosting revenues, receiving extra funding for new/existing video games and other privileges. Additionally, the service comes with a free integrated website builder that contributes to the ease of game development.
- Digital Store Setup – The platform makes it possible to connect a web store to your website with a few clicks only. This is required to let you sell game-related items, virtual currency, subscriptions and even game keys via the site. No tech skills are required to complete the task, but further web store management still implies awareness of web design basics.
- Third-Party Integration – Xsolla allows boosting your website performance by means of third-party integrations. Among the services you can pick and add to your gaming website, it makes sense to mention Google Analytics to track traffic fluctuations, Twitter and Facebook accounts to generate more users, Game Magazines to publish the product on the main topical establishments, Google Optimize to get the most out of AB website testing and other popular services.
- Gaming Designs – The platform doesn’t come with a rich collection of ready-made designs. Instead, the system offers a basic layout for further customization and editing. Additionally, you get extra design features and settings that can give your project high end look (opportunity to change website style, fonts and colors, background video/photo integrations etc.).
- Promotions – The system offers an opportunity to create, fine-tune and manage various promo campaigns. All in all, it is possible customize a new promo campaign in four simple steps that are provided by default. Users also can introduce promo codes and coupons to boost the efficacy of their marketing campaigns.
- Stats and Analytics – The feature lets you track your website statistics and monitor the success of the newly-started promo campaigns. There is also a separate accounting section for those users, who wish to track their sales volumes, loyal customers, average pay time value and other nuances.
- Affiliate Marketing – Xsolla grants access to its integrated Partner Network, where you can start and manage game-related affiliate campaigns. The launch of these campaigns is completed with one click only, while further management of affiliate marketing programs is quite understandable as well.
Xsolla website builder is initially free for everyone. It grants free access to all the integrated features, including hosting. Further use of the system that implies profit generation, however, is paid. The system charges a 5% fee from every purchase/transaction made through the website, which is quite a reasonable solution for the platform developers.
Ning – is a gaming website builder for both gamers and developers, which currently empowers over 2 millions of projects since the year of its foundation in 2004. The website builder works great for creating social networks, online communities and gaming websites. Its integrated intuitive drag-and-drop editor allows starting full-featured websites in a few steps only. Additionally, there is an opportunity of code editing here, which is a great advantage for code-savvy users willing to run feature-laden gaming websites.
- Advanced Content Management Features – The website builder allows for simple and hassle-free management of content added to your gaming website. The system comes with a blogging engine, forum creation option, opportunity to add polls, events, multiple audio, video and photo files.
- eCommerce Platform – Ning has its own integrated eCommerce engine, which makes it possible to monetize your gaming website and start generating profit with it. Additionally, the system lets you use special business tools, including MailChimp email automation, accurate statistics collection tools, and the opportunity to send private messages/organize broadcasts for registered members.
- Social Networking – The website builder delivers plenty of functional social networking features, namely social sharing options completed via popular social networks like Twitter or Facebook.
Ning doesn’t have a free plan yet there is an opportunity to test the impressive abundance of its integrated features for free during the 14-day trial. The website builder has three paid subscriptions, the cost of which starts from $25/mo. You can also save up to 20% of the plan cost by purchasing the annual subscription.
Guildtag – is a free guld, clan and community website builder, which comes without ads and is specially tailored to set up gaming websites, including those from Minecraft, World of Warcraft, Fortnite, Call of Duty and other popular games. All projects launched with the software are absolutely secure, working great on mobile and desktop devices. This option is provided here by default. Whatever web design skills you have, you will surely be able to run a clan/esports/guild website with the system.
- Ad-Free System. All Guildtag websites are not only free, but they also come without ads that distract players from the gaming process and frequently slow down load time.
- Forums. Due to the built-in forum software, Guildtag users have an opportunity to connect full-featured forums to their gaming websites. This eventually results in more effective communication between players, game owners and other team members. Guildtag forums use the customizable innovative widget framework. This means that you have an opportunity to change all the aspects of your project, if required.
- Theme Builder. The software comes with the integrated Theme Builder that allows designing appealing responsive templates in almost no time. The feature is available to all software subscribers at no cost.
- Customizable Gaming Widgets. Premium plan subscribers have access to the widget codes and styles. This lets them modify their forum layout, adjust navigation structure and other parameters.
- Access Rights. Website builder developers have taken care of advanced user security, letting them create specific roles and grant permissions to those users who can access forums and widgets.
- Points System. The service offers special website points (a kind of currency) used to buy things from the built-in Shop. Likewise, there is an opportunity to use these points for merit and raid loot distribution tracking.
- Task Creation. When working on your clan website development, you can create automated tasks to complete various goals. Thus, you can add tasks to add/remove user roles, send notifications, assign points etc.
- eCommerce Shop. Guildtag includes a quality eCommerce platform that allows creating and customizing online stores to sell items to other website members in exchange for points.
- Twitch/Discord Integration. The software allows for Twitch/Discord integration, letting its subscribers create their accounts. Twitch users can display and customize widgets, which reveal streamers stats and special details, while Discord subscribers can use the bot to sync roles, show leaderboards and register for events with special roles.
Guildtag offers honest and transparent pricing. There is actually one free plan and one premium subscription here. A free plan comes with no ads and includes forums, Theme Builder, unlimited users/pages/widgets, social profiles along with 100MB of image storage space. A Premium Plan costs $6 and offers all the features of the free subscription plus user points management, Shop/Wiki/HTML widget, task scheduling, advanced event management, API access and other crucial gaming-related features.
iClan Websites – is an ultimate web hosting for gamers and a feature-rich clan/guild web solution, which lets its subscribers set up quality gaming projects. They can be used either for entertainment purposes or for reputation growth and member recruiting. Websites started with the system work well for clans and guilds of all sizes as well as for all platforms. Even a beginner can use the software, not to mention web design pros and gamers.
iClan Websites Features:
- Advanced Recruitment Options. iClan communities come with an integrated recruitment system that contributes to your project growth. The feature simplified the process of accepting/rejecting applications. It’s up to you to build customizable recruitment forms with automated roster assignment and regular rank upgrades.
- Niche Templates. The system offers a rich collection of exclusive responsive templates that work well for different types of gaming/clan/guild websites. The designs are easily customizable as they don’t require preliminary coding proficiency. What you need is to click the selected theme and to apply the required changes.
- Forums. With iClan Websites, you can set up powerful forums that make communication between members engaging and simple. The forums come with an opportunity of file attachment, complete moderation controls, notifications, subscriptions etc.
- Theme Builder. You have a chance to create and customize a gaming website with regard to your requirements. The software grants access to over 100 templates users may choose from with regard to their project specialization. To modify it, just click a section, edit it, preview the result and then publish a ready-made project.
- Tournament Manager. The platform allows organizing and hosting competitive tournaments within your own gaming community. Whether you plan to organize single/double elimination or round robin tournaments, the system will let you do that with ease.
- Voice Server. When working on your clan/guild website creation, you can set up your own voice server and communicate with other users, when playing the game. You can choose from TeamSpeak 3, Ventrilo, Mumble and other servers here.
- Instant Chat. Get in touch with your teammates and other players in the real time mode from any website page. The system lets you chat with other users either individually or in group chat rooms with the opportunity to control everyone who accesses a room.
iClan Websites offers an opportunity to create clan/guild websites for free. This option comes with free themes, corums and moderation, activity feeds, donations, member profiles, events calendar, Theme Builder, instant chat, admin access controls, Twitch streams, match reports and other crucial features. If you need greater flexibility and a more advanced toolset, you can upgrade to one of two paid subscriptions – either Premium+ or Elite. Their cost constitutes $19.95 and $49.95 per month correspondingly.
Shivtr – is a free guild hosting and website builder, which supports hundreds of games across all genres and platforms. Whether your community enjoys playing FPS, MMORPGs, RTS or games of other genres, the software has much to offer you. Offering a multi-gaming feature, it makes it possible to enable up to 6 games for one website. Each of them will come with its own theme.
- Visual Theme Tweaker. The platform does not only let you create and customize full-featured responsive themes, but also offers an opportunity to use its built-in Visual Theme Tweaker. This is a nice way to tweak your template banner, colors, fonts, wallpaper and even CSS, if required.
- User Interaction Options. The system lets you stay in touch with other community members, offering a set of interaction features. These include forums, real-time chat, messages and notifications, polls, news feed, journals, media galleries, groups, social sharing options etc.
- Community Organization Tools. To enhance your community performance, keep team members together and track the guild progress, Shivtr offers events calendar, advanced recruitment features, activity feeds, roster options, opportunity to create information pages (About Us, rules, History etc.), Google Analytics and other stats tracking tools.
- Advanced Tech Features. With Shivtr, you can access and use fast, reliable and innovative tech options like HTML5, Ruby on Rails, CSS3, web sockets, API and more.
Shivtr has a free lifetime plan meant for beginners and three premium subscriptions. A free plan comes with ads, which are removed in paid subscriptions. They differ in the amount of multigame slots, storage space, log time and other features. The cheapest premium plan currently costs $7.99/mo granted that you buy a 1-year package.
A clan website is a flag of any gaming group. It should come with special symbolics, creativity, achievements, galleries, videos, communication etc. This is a recognizable trend in terms of your gaming community. It is created for pleasure and superiority over your game competitors.
Due to the website, you can recruit advanced newbies, organize clan events, communication, manage an educative section with nuances and tactics of the game. There is much you can find here! Anyway, this is nothing else than just your guild promotion.
It goes without saying that WordPress is the best free CMS you can use to launch quality and visually appealing clan or guild websites with high end performance. Just shop around to pick quality plugins and appealing theme for your WordPress website and enjoy the result.
The functionality of a gaming website created with WordPress will also be on the top notch level. It will be more than enough for posting news, tactics, posters, polls, chats, event planning, forum organization, blog etc. Due to multiple plugins, extensive code editing options and other features, the system stands out from the crowd, being the best choice for gaming fans willing to build quality free websites.
While WordPress is the best CMS for clan website creation, Wix is undeniably on the top of the list, when it comes to choosing the most full-featured guild website builder. The system offers an extensive collection of gaming templates, customizable niche widgets, eCommerce engine to sell the merchandise and gaming accessories and even a professional Gamify – Game Maker widget to create custom branded games.
Looking for a quality clan/guild website builder and hosting provided out-of-the-box? Then using IONOS may be a nice solution. The software allows starting gaming websites and hosting them on its servers. You can even host projects created with other platforms here.
Enjin and uCoz are also worth the attention, when it comes to launching a clan/guild website. The systems offer quite versatile approaches to the process of creating gaming websites. However, you will avail positive experience in both cases. While Enjin is a specialized platform, which is focused on the creation and management of gaming websites, uCoz is a popular free all-in-one clan website builder.
Xsolla and Ning are two web building platforms that are mostly used by professional companies and services involved in gaming website creation. This is the reason why the systems offer powerful functionality and versatile design customization options. Users can make use of extensive social and third-party services integration options, website promotion, marketing and analytic tools as well as rich content management and eCommerce options.
Guildtag, iClan Websites and Shivtr are three niche platforms that were created with the need of gamers in mind. Each of them works great for starting clan, esports, guild and community websites, offering advanced specialized tools and hosting solutions at affordable cost. Quite a nice option for beginners with little or no coding expertise as well as for proficient web developers involved in custom gaming website creation.