BigCommerce – is undoubtedly a renowned leader in the eCommerce niche. This specialized website builder was created with the needs of online store owners in mind and, thus, offers the required set of features and tools needed to launch a powerful, functional and appealing web store. The system has many fans, who keep using it on a regular basis to solve their eCommerce tasks.
However, there are also those users, who don’t like BigCommerce for some reason, be it the complexity of the system, its cost etc. They start looking for better alternatives to the website builder.
Fortunately, there are many website builders, CMS or eCommerce plugins that can be a nice substitute to BigCommerce nowadays. We have tested dozens of systems and selected top seven platforms that work best for different types of online stores – from large online hypermarkets and up to small show windows with a couple of dozens of product positions. Let’s have an overview of these services now.
[Spoiler] Here’s a List of the Best BigCommerce Alternatives:
- Shopify – the best BigCommerce alternative
- Wix – the easiest alternative to BigCommerce
- WooCommerce – ecommerce plugin for WordPress
- SITE123 – SaaS-platform to build an eCommerce website
- Ecwid – free eCommerce plugin for any website
- Squarespace – online store builder with shopping cart
- Weebly – free eCommerce-ready website builder
- 3dcart – alternative eCommerce software
How to Choose The Best BigCommerce Alternative For You
The idea to start a web store may be quite profitable, if you are fortunate to use the right tool for this purpose. BigCommerce can absolutely comply with your web design goals yet some users may find it a bit complicated and oversaturated with eCommerce features. This is where the choice of a worthy alternative may be a reasonable solution.
There are multiple eCommerce systems out there and you can easily find a perfect BigCommerce substitute to fit your budget, skills and web store-related requirements. You just need to realize that whatever system you will go for, it will come with a certain list of pros, cons and special features needed to start a feature-rich digital store. This means that you should define your niche specialization and expectations prior to opting for the system to work with.
Another aspect to consider is the type of platform you are looking for. There are all-in-one web design platforms that come with eCommerce focus yet there are also specialized web store creation systems, which are geared exclusively towards the development of this project type. The choice should depend upon the size and integrated functionality of your digital store.
What you should also keep in mind is your web design proficiency. There are different kinds of web design platforms, which come up to various skills. It’s no problem to pick the one you will be able to master well.
Cost aspect matters a lot here as well. BigComemrce is not a cheap option, especially for beginners yet the choice of more cost-effective systems is quite versatile out there. Define your budget in advance to be able to select the platform that matches your financial abilities most.
The Different Types of BigCommerce Alternatives
When it comes to picking the best BigCommerce alternatives, there are several solutions to browse. The choice of the best platform depends upon the type of project you plan to launch, your budget, skills and individual requirements. The most widespread options you may currently choose from include:
- Online website builders that are cloud-based and can be effectively used to launch simple/complex projects;
- Offline website builders, which have to be downloaded and installed prior to proceeding to project development and customization;
- CMS (Content Management Systems) that feature distinctive integrated functionality needed to start and manage complicated web projects.
Regardless of your actual intentions and requirements, you will appreciate an opportunity to find out the most feature-rich BigCommerce alternatives to get started with your eCommerce project. Read on to learn more about them now.
1. Shopify – The Best BigCommerce Alternative
Shopify – is the best BigCommerce alternative. The website builder was created exclusively with the needs of entrepreneurs, online retailers and their customers in mind. The platform can be used to build different types of web stores depending upon the needs and requirements of a user. The service is packed with tools and features that can bring your eCommerce web building experiences to the brand new level and ensure decent result.
As a specialized website builder, Shopify can boast an impressive collection of niche-specific eCommerce templates. They are responsive right from the start and you can choose between free and paid themes, all of which are of high quality. The system offers a set of customization tools, which make it possible to change the design of your online store with regard to your preferences and needs (take a look at real Shopify online stores).
Shopify also boasts an integrated Point of Sale software, which makes it possible to use the available external card terminal, create several safe staff accounts, accept orders in the offline mode, quickly integrate with any accounting software you are going to use etc.
Other distinctive features of the software include:
- Amazon Integration. The system now allows synchronizing your Shopify web store with your Amazon account to boost the amount of sales and build customer trust.
- Blogging Platform. Shopify has its own blogging platform, which is a helpful tool when it comes to interaction with clients.
- App Store. Shopify offers a range of free and paid applications sorted out by category (Marketing, Sales, Tools, Warehouse, Synchronization with External Services, Product Search for Sale, Social Services, Customer Servicing, Statistics Collection etc.) that can improve your website performance.
- Multi Language Support. No matter what online store type you need – you will surely benefit from creating several language versions of it to look for customers and business partners worldwide.
The platform is an all-in-one solution for eCommerce, which means domain and hosting already included in the plan in addition to the website builder itself. There is a free trial to test how the system works. Then you will have to choose any of the three available plans. Each of them lets you sell unlimited products yet they differ when it comes to the number of staff accounts, transaction fees, and some extra perks. The cost of premium plans starts from $9/mo.
2. Wix – The Easiest Alternative to BigCommerce
Wix – is the easiest alternative to BigCommerce and the best all-in-one solution, which enjoys worldwide popularity. The system is used to create professional, quality and visually appealing websites of different types, including online stores. Wix comes with a rich feature set, drag-and-drop functionality, user-friendly interface and other features that make it possible to launch quality websites at affordable cost.
As a universal website builder, Wix has an extensive template gallery, which is subdivided into several sections based on the themes selected. eCommerce templates are also available here and they stand out from the crowd due to their high quality, stylish and modern look. The website builder also offers a set of design customization tools, which ensure smooth web building process and make it possible to create any design of a web store you currently need. All the templates the service offers are mobile-ready right from the start, which is a crucial aspect for any web store.
Other core Wix features are as follows:
- Ease of Use. Even a newbie can start and manage an online store here – so simple and understandable the process is.
- Store Manager. It allows tracking the statuses and details of all orders, managing the inventory lists, setting up product parameters and images, sending ShoutOut newsletters to customers to keep them aware of all the product offers, updates, promo actions, sales, events etc.
- Artificial Intelligence. The platform has the advanced ADI tool, which allows building a web store from scratch in the automated mode by following simple steps the service offers.
- Wix App Market. Users can find free and paid applications for effective store management here.
- Forum and Blogging Options. Wix provides an opportunity to set up and connect a forum or a blog to your ready made eCommerce website.
- Product Galleries. When building a web store with Wix, you have an opportunity to create, add and manage product galleries to showcase the products offered for sale and their detailed characteristics.
- Availability of Payment Options. Clients have a nice choice of secure and versatile payment options to choose from, including the most popular PayPal, credit card etc.
Wix has a completely free plan that lets you test its integrated functionality at no cost at all. To sell products online, you will need any plan from the Business & Commerce section. Here we have four subscriptions, the cost of which starts from $23 per month.
3. WooCommerce – eCommerce Plugin for WordPress
WooCommerce – is a free eCommerce plugin for WordPress developed for users, who want to stick to the most popular CMS and use it to sell products online. Users should clearly understand that it cannot be used as a separate platform for building online shops. It comes as an add-on to an existing WP-based platform.
The plugin has a simple product management system in addition to extensions and premium services to promote your business online. This lets you start any digital store based on your niche specialization, eCommerce requirements and objectives you wish to achieve in the long run.
Some of the baseline features to look for in WooCommerce encompass:
- Ease of Use. The use of the plugin does not require special skills or knowledge – you only need to have it installed and activated just like any other WP plugin.
- Product Management. You will be able to add item descriptions, download photos, create new product categories and collections, set SEO settings to each product page, and more.
- Plugins and Integrations. When used together with WordPress, WooCommerce is compatible with thousands of other plugins that include reporting tools, SEO instruments, checkout tools, MailChimp and other email marketing services.
Users can install and use the plugin at zero cost. However, its free version delivers only baseline functionality to start selling goods online. If you require extra marketing instruments, you will need to pay for separate extensions and third-party services. The price may range from $40 to $300. Moreover, you are supposed to have a domain and hosting. Opting for WP-optimized server solutions like Bluehost is the best bet. They start at $2.95 per month. Besides, you may need a premium WP theme to stand out.
4. SITE123 – SaaS Platform to Build an eCommerce Website
SITE123 – is a SaaS platform to build an eCommerce website with no serious skills and budget investment. The website builder initially targets newbies, ensuring the utmost ease-of-use, convenience and intuitive nature that come with extensive functionality. One of the undeniable highlights of the website builder is absence of coding background. You don’t have to be a programming expert to launch projects with the system – so simple and understandable it is for everyone.
The website builder offers a set of ready-made templates, where you will come across quality customizable themes for web store development. The designs are free and completely responsive. What you need is just to pick a template and proceed to its customization following the integrated guidelines the system provides.
Other advantages of the website builder are listed below:
- eCommerce Widgets. The system grants access to several must-have eCommerce widgets and applications (Galleries, Live Chat, Booking, Social Widgets, Online Forms etc.) that will eventually give your project distinctive eCommerce focus.
- Multilingual Support. SITE123 offers a multilingual support feature, which is enough to start a web store in several languages with regard to your business needs.
- Online Form Builder. The website builder lets you create and customize different online forms to enhance your project performance.
- Logo Maker. Due to its free integrated Logo Maker tool, there is an opportunity to create your brand logo or to upload the existing one to your website.
- App Market. The platform comes with an extensive collection of widgets/add-ons and extensions (free and paid) you can integrate into your website.
- Blogging Engine. SITE123 has a built-in blogging engine, which allows launching a quality blog to contribute to your web store performance.
SITE123 is both simple and cost-effective. There is an opportunity to start a free web store and to use it for the unlimited time interval. Free plan, though, comes with serious restrictions that don’t let you take advantage of the website development process. To publish a full-featured digital store, SITE123 lets you choose from 4 premium plans. Their cost starts from $10.80 per month.
5. Ecwid – Free eCommerce Plugin for Any Website
Ecwid – is a free eCommerce plugin for any website. Its only sphere of application goes down to web store creation and customization. The system lets you launch a feature-rich digital store using its integrated eCommerce functionality. The platform comes with a rich choice of promotion and marketing features that make it possible for merchants sell both digital and physical products via numerous sales channels.
The plugin delivers comprehensive eCommerce functionality without requiring deep coding expertise. To start a project with Ecwid, you’ll need to initially connect it to the existing website, no matter on what platform it was created. Everyone is able to create appealing product galleries and catalogues, add payment/shipping options, track web store statistics etc. with the system – so simple and intuitive it is even for beginners.
The list of Ecwid highlights is quite rich and includes the following aspects:
- Marketing Options. The plugin offers several marketing tools (like Google Ads) to let you effectively promote your products online.
- Multiple Sales Channels. With Ecwid, you get access to multiple sales channels (leading global marketplaces like eBay and Amazon in addition to an integrated POS solution) to sell digital and physical products.
- App Market. A set of integrable plugins the system offers in its App Market is huge (Google Shopping app, product widgets, email marketing tools, web customization tools, accounting services etc.) and you can use any of them to enhance your web store functionality.
- Multilingual Support. The plugin allows creating multilingual web stores with regard to your current requirements and goals.
- Impressive Compatibility. Ecwid is compatible with popular CMS and SaaS website builders, which increases its applicability.
The plugin is subscription-based. To be able to connect it to your project, you will have to initially pick a suitable subscription. The first plan is absolutely free yet it offers baseline functionality. The cost of the cheapest paid subscription currently constitutes $15/mo.
6. Squarespace – Online Store Builder with Shopping Cart
Squarespace – is an online store builder with shopping cart, which obviously lets you design and manage a quality small/medium digital store. The all-in-one website builder is not the simplest solution out there as it requires some time/effort investment to get started with your eCommerce project. When exploring the platform, you will appreciate a set of inventory and product management tools in addition to intuitive content manager and promotion tools available there.
The system features a collection of stylish themes with a focus on eCommerce. All templates have integrated selling options letting newbies go live with their new and fully featured digital stores in minutes (see real Squarespace stores).
When you need to launch a digital store built with Squarespace, you only need to select a template and edit content. The selection of blocks and components has everything you need including CTA blocks, acquisition forms, product galleries, contact info, and more. No technical skills or manual set up are needed.
As to other Squarespace merits, they are as follows:
- Content Management. The tool makes it easy to edit each product and to create separate product categories, change prices, offer several product variations and modifications.
- Built-In Features. While the software does not rely on third-party services or widgets, it offers some built-in instruments of its own (for example, there is an automatic alert system that notifies a user when the product runs out of stock).
- Integrated Payment Gateways. Although the system does not offer multiple payment options, you may still get the most of the available Paypal, Stripe or Apple Pay.
- Multiple Contributors. The platform encourages its subscribers for team cooperation, letting them assign various access rights to each member involved in project development.
- Promotion Tools. You will benefit from improved customer loyalty options and the opportunity to create special deals for your customers using promo codes, coupons, ad pop-ups, announcement bars, and more.
- Logo Maker. The high end tool makes it possible to design and integrate a personalized logo into your web store.
- Statistics Collection Tool. When managing a digital store, you can integrate Google Analytics or a specialized Squarespace Metrics App into it to track your eCommerce project performance.
- Unfold Storytelling Tool. The app lets you create and share feature-rich and visually-appealing stories/posts in social networks.
- Contact Form Builder. Users will appreciate an opportunity to create and integrate contact forms into their online stores to increase customer engagement rate.
- Acuity Scheduling Platform. A professional online appointment scheduling system provides quality development and management of your local business.
Squarespace offers a free 14-day plan and four premium subscriptions. Their cost starts from $12/mo. Free SSL, domain, templates, SEO, and other features are included in the price. Premium plans additionally offer a point of sale solution, gift cards, eCommerce analytics, and other handy tools.
7. Weebly – Free eCommerce-Ready Website Builder
Weebly – is a free eCommerce-ready website builder, which is a quality substitute to BigCommerce. The system is used to launch, customize and promote feature-laden online stores. At the same time, it is simple enough for beginners and web design pros, who intend to run professional eCommerce projects.
The website builder was initially created as a blogging platform yet it acquired eCommerce specialization after it merged with Square. As of today, it allows starting small and medium web stores with distinctive niche-related integrated functionality. Thus, the website builder grants access to its extensive collection of templates, which work great for simple and complex projects.
If you have an intention to work with Weebly, have a look at its major benefits now:
- Blogging. Weebly comes with a powerful blogging engine, which lets you connect and manage a full-featured blog to your project in almost no time and with no serious budget investment.
- Rich Integration Options. Weebly delivers multiple integratable widgets and apps you can pick for your eCommerce project (these include maps, slideshows, media files, image collections, search boxes and what not).
- Weebly Promote Tool. The tool unveils multiple email marketing options for the system users, offering a set of ready made designs for different email types (promo newsletters, bulletins, event and product presentation etc.).
- Business-Targeting Features. The website builder encompasses multiple eCommerce features (integrated shopping cart, safe payment and shipping options, extensive product management tools, convenient and helpful search filter option, exclusive offers and customer support assistance, CSV product import/export, handy mobile apps etc.), which have strong impact upon your web store performance.
Weebly offers affordable pricing policy. The system has several types of subscriptions, including a free never-expiring plan. The cost of premium plans starts from $4/mo and increases with regard to the features/tools included.
8. 3dcart – alternative eCommerce software
3dcart – is an alternative eCommerce software, which is one of the industry veterans. The platform now delivers a range of selling, marketing, and promotion tools out of the box. It comes with ease of use that makes the software good for newbies.
The website builder offers multiple quality niche templates to come up to any eCommerce requirements and needs. You can browse over 70 ready-made designs, which are free, responsive and absolutely customizable. There is also an opportunity to switch to another design here, if you don’t like something about the selected theme. Preview mode is available as well to simplify your choice.
3dcart offers a pretty nice set of eCommerce features, such as:
- Product Page Customization. Users may choose from three major product types to add, namely digital, physical goods, and gift cards/certificates.
- Marketing. The software has built-in services and marketing instruments, granting access to integrated shopping plugins such as Nextag, Feed Export, Shopzilla, and others. Each plugin can be set up manually.
- Promotion Manager. The tool is used to create special deals, sales, and personalized offers based on specific algorithms.
- Stats & Analytics. 3dcart offers a powerful reporting feature providing various types of charts and stats.
- SEO Settings. To boost your site ranks, the platform provides advanced SEO optimization tools letting users edit sitemap and robots files, set 301 redirects to the target page, work with Open Graph values, and more.
The platform has a free 14-day trial and 5 paid plans. They offer domain registration, integrated shopping cart features, unlimited orders and bandwidth, built-in blogging functionality, and more. The cost of premium subscriptions starts from $9/mo. All of them come with zero transaction fees.
BigCommerce – is definitely a good SaaS platform for eCommerce needs. It is a good choice for merchants, who want to sell both digital and physical goods. Moreover, the system is extremely easy to use, which makes it a perfect choice for newbies who want to access the custom product library, integrated shipping options, built-in checkout functionality, and more.
At the same time, BigCommerce certainly lacks advanced tools to manage and promote products. A limited collection of themes and minimum customization features can be a crucial downside for demanding entrepreneurs. This is where you might need a more flexible and dedicated eCommerce solution for the list above.