BigCommerce – is undoubtedly a renowned leader in the eCommerce niche. This specialized website builder was created with the needs of online store owners in mind and, thus, offers the required set of features and tools needed to launch a powerful, functional and appealing web store. The system has many fans, who keep using it on a regular basis to solve their eCommerce tasks.
However, there are also those users, who don’t like BigCommerce for some reason, be it the complexity of the system, its cost etc. They start looking for better alternatives to the website builder.
Fortunately, there are many website builders, CMS or eCommerce plugins that can be a nice substitute to BigCommerce nowadays. We have tested dozens of systems and selected top seven platforms that work best for different types of online stores – from large online hypermarkets and up to small show windows with a couple of dozens of product positions. Let’s have an overview of these services now.
The Best BigCommerce Alternatives:
- Shopify – The Best BigCommerce Alternative
- Wix – #1 eCommerce-Ready Website Builder
- WooCommerce – eCommerce Plugin for WordPress
- Volusion – Shopping Cart Software Alternative
- 3dcart – Alternative eCommerce Software
- Squarespace – All-in-One SaaS Website Builder
- Magento – eCommerce Platform for Small Businesses
Shopify – The Best BigCommerce Alternative
Shopify – is the best alternative to BigCommerce. The website builder was created exclusively with the needs of online retailers and their customers in mind.
The platform can be used to build different types of web stores depending upon the needs and requirements of a user. The service is packed with tools and features that can bring your eCommerce web building experiences to the brand new level and ensure decent result.
Shopify features include:
- Niche-Specific Templates – being a specialized website builder, Shopify can boast an impressive collection of niche-specific eCommerce templates. They are responsive right from the start and you can choose between free and paid themes, all of which are of high quality. The system offers a set of customization tools, which make it possible to change the design of your online store with regard to your preferences and needs (take a look at real Shopify online stores).
- Point of Sale Software – one of the features Shopify is known for is its Point of Sale software, which makes it possible to use the available external card terminal, create several safe staff accounts, accept orders in the offline mode, quickly integrate with any accounting software you are going to use etc.
- Amazon Integration – if you intend to work with the Amazon Marketplace, then Shopify in definitely the best option for you. The system has recently announced Amazon integration, which allows synchronizing your Shopify web store with Amazon account to boost the amount of sales and build customer trust.
- Blogging Platform – Shopify has its own blogging platform, which is a helpful tool when it comes to interaction with clients. The availability of a blog makes it possible for customers and web store owners to communicate with each other, post and find out new information about the shopping process, create lookbooks and perform other actions.
- App Store – Shopify App Store offers a range of free and paid applications that can improve your website performance. All the apps are sorted out by categories here to simplify user search. The most popular categories include Marketing, Sales, Tools, Warehouse, Synchronization with External Services, Product Search for Sale, Social Services, Customer Servicing, Statistics Collection etc.
- Multi Language Support – the software comes with multi language support, which is a handy feature for all web stores. No matter what online store type you need – you will surely benefit from creating several language versions of it to look for customers and business partners worldwide.
Shopify price: the platform is an all-in-one solution for eCommerce, which means domain and hosting already included in the plan in addition to the website builder itself. There is a free trial to test how the system works. Then you will have to choose any of the three available plans. Each of them lets you sell unlimited products. But they differ when it comes to the number of staff accounts, transaction fees, and some extra perks. Basic Shopify costs $29 per month for a small shop. A great option to get started. Shopify costs $79 per month with professional reports and lower transaction fees. Advanced Shopify is for growing marketplaces costing $299 per month featuring the lowest fees in addition to an advanced reporter and third-party services for automated shipping rate calculation.
Wix – #1 eCommerce-ready Website Builder
Wix – is the best all-in-one solution, which enjoys worldwide popularity and is used to create professional, quality and visually appealing websites of different types, including online stores.
The system can be considered a nice BigCommerce alternative due to its rich feature set, drag-and-drop functionality, user-friendly interface and other features that make it possible to launch quality websites at affordable cost.
Wix core features are as follows:
- eCommerce Templates – as a universal website builder, Wix has an extensive template gallery, which is subdivided into several sections based on the themes selected. eCommerce templates are also available here and they stand out from the crowd due to their high quality, stylish and modern look. The website builder also offers a set of design customization tools, which ensure smooth web building process and make it possible to create any design of a web store you currently need. All the templates the service offers are mobile-ready right from the start, which is a crucial aspect for any web store.
- Ease of Use – Wix is known for its ease of use and intuitive nature. Even a newbie can start and manage an online store here – so simple and understandable the process is. There is a Store Manager here, which allows tracking the statuses and details of all orders, managing the inventory lists, setting up product parameters and images, sending ShoutOut newsletters to customers to keep them aware of all the product offers, updates, promo actions, sales, events etc.
- Artificial Intelligence – the platform has the advanced ADI tool, which is a real bonus for users with little or no web design skills. The Artificial Design Intelligence feature allows building a web store from scratch by following simple steps the service offers. You just need to answer the questions the system generates automatically, provide the main info about your business, links to social network accounts and other related data and watch the result.
- Wix App Market – users will have access to the App Market, where they can find free and paid applications for effective store management. You can find specialized eCommerce applications here that can be easily integrated into your online store to boost its performance.
- Forum and Blogging Options – Wix comes with powerful blogging and forum functionality. This is a benefit for any online store as it gives you a chance to set up and connect a forum or a blog to your ready made eCommerce website. This ensures more productive communication between you and your clients and simplifies the search of the required info for newbies.
- Product Galleries – right product presentation matters a lot for the efficacy of the sales process. The better you manage to present your products to the target audience, the more chances they have to appeal to them. When building a web store with Wix, you have an opportunity to create, add and manage product galleries to showcase the products offered for sale and their detailed characteristics. All the images added to the gallery are viewed full-size and you can upload as many photos as you need for better product presentation.
- Availability of Payment Options – clients have a nice choice of payment options to choose from, including the most popular PayPal, credit card etc. All the payments are secure, which is a must for all customers. It’s possible to set shipping and tax rules, update the prices and perform any other actions you need to make the shopping process safe and effective.
Wix price: To sell products online, you will need any plan from the Business & Commerce section. Here we have four subscriptions that include Business Basic costing $23 per month to accept payments online, Business Unlimited costing $27 per month with professional logo feature, Google Analytics integration, and more. Business VIP plan is for the fully-featured digital store costing $35 per month with unlimited bandwidth and 50GB of storage. Enterprise plan is for huge companies with international representation ready to pay $500 monthly.
WooCommerce – eCommerce Plugin for WordPress
WooCommerce – is a free WordPress plugin developed for users who want to stick to the most popular CMS and use it to sell products online. Users should clearly understand that it cannot be used as a separate platform for building online shops. It comes as an add-on to en existing WP-based platform. The plugin comes with a simple product management system in addition to extensions and premium services to promote your business online.
Here are some baseline features to look for in WooCommerce:
- Ease of Use – this particular feature refers to managing the plugin itself. It does not require special skills or knowledge. You only need to have it installed and activate just like any other WP plugin. The setup process includes several easy steps where you can specify the currency, choose payment options to connect, set shipping requirements, etc.
- Product Management – managing products with WooCommerce is actually the same as adding a new article in WordPress. You will be able to add item descriptions, download photos, create new product categories and collections, set SEO settings to each product page, and more. If you are not new to the CMS, you will find the product management system very easy.
- Plugins and Integrations – when used together with WordPress, WooCommerce is compatible with thousands of other plugins that include reporting tools, SEO instruments, checkout tools, and more. It can be connected with MailChimp and other email marketing services. Besides, the plugin comes with its own extensions to promote products using rewards, promo codes, WooCommerce Points, and other paid services.
WooCommerce price: users can install and use the plugin at zero cost. However, its free version delivers only baseline functionality to start selling goods online. If you require extra marketing instruments, you will need to pay for separate extensions and third-party services. The price may range from $40 to $300. Moreover, you are supposed to have a domain and hosting. Opting for WP-optimized server solutions like Bluehost is the best bet. They start at $2.95 per month. Besides, you may need a premium WP theme to stand out.
Volusion – Shopping Cart Software Alternative
Volusion – is a well-known website builder created to help users build eCommerce websites. The key platform’s benefit is the fact that it works well for newbies and experienced developers. You may either select a template, do some slight settings, and go live or dive deep into the web design and customization process. Whatever you choose, the system will bring enough features to develop a ready-to-go site from scratch (see real Volusion website examples).
Volusion features are as follows:
- Online Shop Builder – the website editor comes as an ultimate online store builder letting users create product pages, divide goods into categories, set preferences, upload images, and more.
- SEO and Reporting – users will be able to access Volusion custom dashboard where they can edit SEO and other settings. They include custom URLs, SEO titles and descriptions, product page meta tags, and more. The platform also lets you edit alt attributes and make product images more SEO-friendly as well as the online store in general.
- Intuitive Product Management – managing products with Volusion is very easy. Platform’s developers created a separate page where users can create new categories and subcategories as well as edit existing ones. Each field is customizable and editable – from products SEO settings and photos to the text content, product options, records, etc.
- Enhanced Flexibility – if you want to launch a growing and scalable business, you will be eager to enter some of the biggest global marketplaces. Volusion can be integrated with eBay and Amazon for maximum exposure. Besides, users will appreciate more than 30 different payment options available for seamless integration in addition to traditional payment gateways such as Paypal and Stripe.
Volusion price: the platform offers four different plans to choose depending on the store size, the number of products you want to sell, and other features. Those plans include Persona ($29 per month), Professional ($79 per month), Business ($299 per month), and Prime (negotiable). The more sales per year you expect, the higher plan you need. Every plan includes built-in SEO tools, inventory management, and more. Premium plans additionally come with cart abandonment, phone orders, and other features.
3dcart – Alternative eCommerce Software
3dcart – is one of the longest-running eCommerce website builders launched back in 1997. The platform is the industry veteran that delivers a range of selling, marketing, and promotion tools out of the box. It comes with ease of use that makes the software good for newbies.
Here are some reasons why 3dcart might be a good option:
- Product Page Customization – users may choose from three major product types to add. They include digital, physical goods, and gift cards/certificates. There is a possibility to sort them out by categories, manage product stock lists, edit shipping info, upload images, and edit descriptions.
- Marketing – the software has built-in services and marketing instruments. Your future store will have integrated shopping plugins such as Nextag, Feed Export, Shopzilla, and others. Each plugin can be set up manually. There is also a Promotion Manager tool to create special deals, sales, and personalized offers based on specific algorithms.
- Stats & Analytics – 3dcart offers a powerful reporting feature providing various types of charts and stats. Users will be able to track buyers’ activity and online sessions. Analytic instruments highlight the customers’ favorite and best-selling products. The system makes it possible to overview shipping destinations as well as mostly used payment gateways.
- SEO Settings – to boost your site ranks, the platform provides advanced SEO optimization tools letting users edit sitemap and robots files, set 301 redirects to the target page, work with Open Graph values, and more.
3dcart price: each of five available 3dcart plans offers domain registration, integrated shopping cart feature, unlimited orders and bandwidth, built-in blogging functionality, and more. The plans are as follows: Startup Store ($19 per month), Basic Store ($29 per month), Plus Store ($79 per month), Power Store ($129 per month), and Pro Store ($229 per month). All plans come with zero transaction fees.
Squarespace – All-in-One SaaS Website Builder
Squarespace – is an all-in-one website builder that features a collection of stylish themes with a focus on eCommerce. All templates have integrated selling options letting newbies go live with their new and fully featured digital stores in minutes (see real Squarespace stores). You will appreciate a set of inventory and product management tools in addition to intuitive content manager, promotion tools, and more.
- Ready-to-Go Templates – when you need to launch a digital store built with Squarespace, you only need to select a template and edit content. The selection of blocks and components has everything you need including CTA blocks, acquisition forms, product galleries, contact info, and more. No technical skills or manual set up are needed.
- Content Management – a product management feature is implemented through the custom Content Manager. The tool makes it easy to edit each product. Apart from editing texts and uploading images, users will be able to create separate product categories, change prices, offer several product variations and modifications.
- Built-In Features – while the software does not rely on third-party services or widgets, it offers some built-in instruments of its own. For example, there is an automatic alert system that notifies a user when the product runs out of stock.
- Integrated Payment Gateways – you do not need to connect payment methods manually when using Squarespace. They are already set and ready to use. Although the system does not offer a very rich option, you may still make the most of available Paypal, Stripe or Apple Pay. There is a chance to get paid directly thanks to a partnership with Stripe. But you are supposed to have a valid banking account to use the feature.
- Promotion Tools – benefit from improved customer loyalty and create special deals for your customers using promo codes, coupons, ad pop-ups, announcement bars, and more. You may create and customize your own ad campaign.
Squarespace price: the four major Squarespace plans include Personal ($12 per month), Business ($18 per month), Basic ($26 per month), and Advanced ($40 per month). Free SSL, domain, templates, SEO, and other features are included in the price. Premium plans additionally offer a point of sale solution, gift cards, eCommerce analytics, and other handy tools.
Magento – eCommerce Platform for Small Businesses
Magento – is probably the most robust and powerful eCommerce CMS that can be found on the market. Although it requires a bit of a learning curve to get started, the software is perfect to build and manage any digital store despite the size or specialization. The system offers various add-ons and extensions to run a store and distribute products worldwide.
Here are some major features Magento offers:
- Managing Products – the software is a CMS. It means maximum flexibility in terms of product page and content editing. Users can easily add new items, change and update basic product info like title or description, create and choose from different categories, do the SEO setup for each product page.
- Marketing Tools – with Magento, users get some unique promotion opportunities such as creating a customer’s wish list to promote specific goods also with the help of promo codes that get be distributed physically or online. Also, store owners can conduct a list of top products, create comparisons with more detailed descriptions and representations.
- Payment Methods – platform users may choose from free and paid payment gateways. On the one hand, there is a chance to connect Paypal, Stripe, or Braintree at zero cost. On the other hand, you may connect extra tools to process debit cards. But those are only paid options.
- Checkout Process – buying products is simple with Magento. Either by registered users or guests can handle the checkout process, which saves time. They will see the final price with tax and shipping costs included and calculated automatically.
Magento price: the open-source platform is free to use. However, to launch a fully-featured store, you will require additional extensions. Also, you will also need to take care of domain and hosting. Both may cost you from $10 to $50 and more per month. Besides, you might want to stand out with an exclusive Magento template form the premium list. In this case, get ready to pay an additional $20-$400.
BigCommerce – is definitely a good SaaS platform for eCommerce needs. It is a good choice for merchants who want to sell both digital and physical goods. Moreover, the system is extremely easy to use, which makes it a perfect choice for newbies who want to access the custom product library, integrated shipping options, built-in checkout functionality, and more.
At the same time, BigCommerce certainly lacks advanced tools to manage and promote products. A limited collection of themes and minimum customization features can be a crucial downside for demanding entrepreneurs. This is where you might need a more flexible and dedicated eCommerce solution for the list above.