The latest stats reveal over 1.9 billion websites operation in the global web. The competition grows rapidly making it hard for new players to enter the online marketplace. Some beginners think that it is impossible to compete with most recognizable and professionally designed blogs, forums and business portals. We have good news for you!
Contemporary web building niche unveils several popular options newbies can use to launch a quality website. The most popular of them include:
- Online Website Builders – the simplest and the most convenient web building solution. These systems are specially created with the skills and needs of beginners in mind. They are perfect tools to learn the basics of the web building process. Plus, you will see the results of your work at once to be able to make the required edits.
- CMS – Content Management Systems are more complicated as compared to website builders. They initially imply a certain coding background and expertise level. The option may also work nice for newbies granted that they invest enough effort and time into detailed tutorial exploration. A notable drawback of this solution is that it can steer away the urge for website building, if it won’t come up to users’ needs and expectations for some reason.
- Other types of web building software theoretically allow building websites by using simple programs like Notepad. This option, however, lets you build the simplest websites only and it also implies the awareness of coding basics.There is also an opportunity to use frameworks, but this can be a real challenge for a beginner.
That being said, it seems interesting and important for newbies to find out more about each web building option. Let’s review them in details right away.
Website Builders – The Best Choice for Beginners
Website builders eliminate the need to discuss such issues as HTML, coding or graphic design. The come as a handy tool for newbies who not only seek the opportunity of fast and easy website building, but also want to put an ease on the wallet.
Up-to-date platforms make it easy to handle the creation of any website from a simple one-page resource to a complex webshop or business card. The main advantages for beginners are as follows:
- Ease-of-Use – no coding or web design skills are required. Start creating a solid website and publish it within a couple of hours;
- Cost-Effective Solution – choose a matching plan and save on free domain and hosting provided by website building platforms. Benefit from free plans;
- Adaptive Templates – build a mobile-ready website with just a several clicks away. Let your users access your website using any mobile device despite OS, screen resolution and size;
- Features and Add-Ons – modern software delivers enough handful features including basic SEO settings, widgets, third-party integrations and more.
As a result, beginners get a single solution to resolve multiple tasks. Users save money and get a bunch of effective tools to build, publish and promote their newly established websites without special skills.
What Is The Best Website Builder for Newbies?
Choosing the right website builder depends on a set of features you want to implement as well as general website complexity. While uKit is probably the cheapest platform available on the web perfect for building catchy portfolios and blogs, Wix boasts a wider range of advanced features like eCommerce and SEO. All you need is to set clear targets and define the purpose of your website. Once you are done with that, opt for any the following website builders.
|Best for:||Classic websites, e-stores||Small websites, landings|
|Easiness||Piece of cake||30 min to complete a website|
|Templates:||Professional templates||Mobile responsive designs|
|Features:||Whatever you want||Business widgets|
|SEO:||Seo WIZ||GA integration|
|Pricing Options:||Free to $24.50/mo||$4 to $12/mo|
#1. Wix – Free Website Builder for Beginners
Wix is a multi-purpose website builder to meet various requirements. It is good for a solid webshop with different categories and e-commerce settings as well as for a business website or portfolio. Whether you run a construction company or fitness studio, Wix will come in handy. Have a look at its main advantages:
- Perfect for Beginners – Wix uses WYSIWYG technology, which means no coding or graphic design. The award-winning drag-and-drop function lets users easily add media files and new blocks. Editing tools make it easy to change or remove content, customize pages, etc.;
- Professionally Designed Templates – Wix boasts a huge selection of FREE templates. They represent different fields from recreation and sports to e-commerce and design. All templates are mobile optimized and ready to use on smartphones and tablets;
- Free Plan – a great option for beginners who require a simple or one-page website with minimum content and extra features. Once you need a more complicated website, choose a paid plan including a free domain and hosting;
- Widgets and Add-Ons – Wix App Market is a real godsend for beginners who want to customize their website and make it more user-friendly. Simply choose a widget from the list and attach it to a necessary page.
Wix lets users easily make any changes without hiring professional developers. It comes as a flexible and cost-effective platform delivering all features you need to build a website.
#2. uKit – The Easiest Website Builder for Beginners
If you do not crave for complexity and call for a simple business website, a landing page or portfolio to stand out, uKit is obviously a good option. You will hardly find a more affordable platform with the same number of features and tools for creating a solid website effortlessly. Opt for uKit and benefit from the following:
- Affordable Price – put an ease on your wallet and build a decent website despite your budget. The monthly prices range from $4 to $12. They already include free templates, domain, and hosting;
- Mobile Responsive Templates – a selection of stylish and well-designed themes will let you choose a template for any need. All templates are mobile responsive and available free for all uKit users;
- Baseline Promotion – your blog or portfolio require promotion online to stand out. uKit delivers some fundamental SEO tools and settings to ensure higher search engine rankings. Use focused keywords, set meta titles and descriptions;
- Customizable Pages – use available widgets to customize each page and increase users’ engagement. All widgets are free.
uKit is certainly a good software for those who search for cheap yet effective website builder for beginners.
What Is the Best CMS for Beginners?
Content Management Systems (CMS) are powerful and full-featured programs, which offer a broad selection of options and tools needed to design high quality websites. It’s not too difficult to explore and use these services even for beginners. Coding background will be a benefit when using CMS, but it’s still an optional requirement. What you need is to learn the tutorials of the selected system and follow the steps and guidelines provided there.
Advantages of CMS for Beginners:
- All Types of Websites – with CMS, you will be able to launch any type of website you need. These programs work great for simple-to-complex projects. This depends upon your web design needs and skills. They are decent tools for business websites, portfolios, landing pages and even web stores.
- Plugin and Template Use – to extend your website functionality, you can download extra plugins and templates. The web abounds in them, but make sure you deal with trusted providers to prevent security problems.
- SEO Benefits – CMS are usually SEO-friendly. This means that most websites launched with them are well-optimized for the search engines. You just have to fill out the required meta-tags for your web pages, add unique content and update your website regularly to enhance its rating.
- Website Control – it is you, who is in charge of the web design process. The entire website creation and management power is in your hands. It’s up to you to decide on the structure of your website, hosting, domain name, user registration, commenting and posting options etc.
Now that you are aware of the most obvious advantages of CMS for newbies, it’s high time to review the most popular systems right now.
WordPress is the most popular Content Management System in the contemporary web design market. It’s been used to 31% of all websites and it’s also a nice choice for inexperienced users. WordPress stands out from the crowd due to its flexibility, convenience and powerful community support. There are multiple tutorials and how-to-guides that provide the entire spectrum of tips beginners might need to start working on their website development. The major benefits of the platform are listed below:
- Design Customization Tools – WordPress comes with a broad spectrum of design customization tools. This makes it possible to give a website personalized look.
- Blogging Options – WordPress is initially known as a blogging platform. Correspondingly, it comes with multiple blogging tools and capabilities, which enhance your blog promotion. You can add, edit and schedule posts here, set up RSS feeds and email subscriptions, enable/disable commenting options etc.
- Rich Assortment of Designs and Plugins – whatever your web design ideas are, WordPress will help bring them to life. There are lots of plugins and templates you can integrate into your website to boost its performance and enhance its design. Just make sure you visit reputable websites to avoid scams.
- Cost – WordPress is absolutely free for everyone. Extra plugins, templates and features, though, are paid. You will also have to pay for the domain name and hosting of your choice.
If you’ve made up your mind to launch a website with CMS, WordPress is definitely the platform to start with. It is comparatively easy and understandable for beginners yet you have to possess at least minimal coding skills to reach decent result.
MODX doesn’t currently belong to the list of the most popular CMS, but it still abounds in multiple functional advantages, works well for website SEO optimization and has user-friendly interface. The service is an open-source platform. It allows building different types of websites (forums, business portals, web stores, social networks etc.) and coding skills won’t be extra here. Let’s review the main advantages of this CMS now:
- Multiple Website Creation – the platform allows building and managing several websites at a time. This will be a huge bonus for teams of web designers, web studios and users, who own a website network.
- Versatility of Templates – to give your website unique design and functionality, you can get easy access to versatile templates and extensions. There are many of them offered by third-party users and web studios. Just check the reliability of the service twice to make sure they offer quality templates that won’t put your website safety at risk.
- Integration Options – with MODX, you can integrate multiple elements into your website to make it stand out from the crowd. These include news feeds, blogs, catalogues, live chats, forums, comments etc.
- Cost – MODX is a free CMS. If you need additional extensions, templates or add-ons, mind that many of them are paid. Those, which are free, may not be absolutely safe. What’s more, you’ll have to purchase a domain name and find a reliable hosting provider to get your website online.
- Advanced SEO Characteristics – MODX SEO parameters differ from those of many other CMS due to their extended nature and versatility. It’s easy to create web page titles, URLs, descriptions and fill out meta tags for good website promotion here.
MODX is a Content Management System, which is equally interesting for newbies and professionals. Whatever group of users you belong to, you can freely choose this CMS to develop any project – it won’t let you down.
Other Ways to Build a Website for Beginners
The fact that you are a newbie doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try learning HTML basics to build high quality websites from scratch. If you intend to move in this direction, the simplest tool to start with is a Notepad or any other text editor. In this case, the structure of any website you’ll work at will have the following look:
<title>My Web Page Name</title>
<meta name=”description” content=”
This is – the upper website part”
<p>Website Text and Image.</p>
As a rule, such files are saved in the txt format. Prior to saving them, though, you should manually change the format to HTML. Such files will automatically open in the browser, which is convenient for visitors.
As soon as you master the “code science”, you can try switching to more complicated programs – frameworks. These programs require strong knowledge of coding. Using them is sometimes a challenge for web design pros, not to mention newbies.
Frameworks are generally used to develop complicated technical projects, bulky and large online stores with individual structure and web applications. It takes much time and effort to work with them. Thus, these programs work best for web studios and web design professionals. As of today, the most well-known frameworks include Ruby on Rails, Django, Yii, Symphony, Flask, Padrino etc.
Building a Website From Scratch for Beginners: How to Start?
Getting started with a new website is probably the most challenging task for beginners. Most of them are afraid of dealing with codes and web design. Others cannot afford hiring custom development teams. Luckily, website builders come as a good solution to all problems. However, you need to handle some core issues and steps on your own:
- Define the Goal – first of all, set clear targets and define the purpose of your website. Why do you need it? How can it be helpful for users? What type of content would it contain? Defining the goals will let you choose the right platform that meets your needs and website complexity.
- Choose a Platform – now, you have a clear vision of how your website will serve its users. You understand the features it should have as well as general complexity. It is high time you chose software depending on your goals. Whether you need a simple blog or a digital store, opt for a platform with necessary tools and features.
- Pick a Domain – a domain is a vital part of your future website. Make it unique and relevant to the content of your website. If you act as a fitness coach, use your surname and keywords related to your niche. Website builders generally offer free domain.
- Choose a Hosting – now you need to choose a place to store your website and its files. Choose a hosting with enough storage facilities and bandwidth. Website builders’ paid plans include free hosting to meet any requirements depending on your website complexity.
- Start Writing – now, you need to fill your website with content. Start writing texts to all available web pages and section describing your services or goods, add guest posts for your blog. Make sure you provide relevant content that is search engine friendly. Website builders have baseline SEO tools that let you easily focus on a specific keyword or phrase.
- Add Media Content – the latest researches show that videos and high-quality images improve users’ engagement. Add different media content of any format to stand out with a simple drag-and-drop section delivered by website builders.
- Get Social – social networks are still the driving force online. Whenever you need to increase website’s recognition, add social sharing buttons to let users interact with the website via platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Keep your content constantly updated and relevant, compare, contrast your main competitors in the niche, and make your website better.
Building a website from scratch sounds like a nightmare for beginners without coding skills. At the same time, limited budgets prevent them from hiring custom developers that cost a fortune. Luckily, there are several cheap and affordable web building options beginners might consider based on their web design expertise, skillfulness, time, effort and money they are ready to invest. The most popular solutions currently include online website builders, CMS and other ways of launching a website.
- Website builders are the easiest and the most convenient services to be used for web building needs. They are so intuitive and understandable that even beginners can cope with their features and use them to the advantage. Among a variety of website builders one can find in the contemporary niche, Wix and uKit proved to be the simplest and the most affordable solutions for newbies. They are easy to use, flexible and ensure decent results, while the cost is pretty affordable.
- CMS come with more advanced feature sets and options than website builders. This, however, doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to use content management systems, if you are a newbie. If you have the desire to explore these services, you should get ready that you’ll need effort and time to cope with the task. WordPress and MODX are two platforms that are great for a good start. They come with multiple tutorials, manuals and online communities providing beginners with how-to guidelines that will help you cope with the task with maximum efficacy and minimum waste of time.
- As to the other web building ways, beginners may start with mastering coding basics by using any html editor. This option, however, may work well for practicing and improving the skills, but not for regular use. This is because it is already outdated and not used by professionals. If you feel that you have practiced enough and are ready to proceed to more complex systems, you can use frameworks. These platforms are the most challenging and only proficient web designers may launch powerful websites with them.
Whatever option you will eventually go for, it always makes sense to test it first. However, if you know right from the start that your web design expertise won’t be enough to use a complex platform, website builders are always at hand. By using these systems, you will achieve decent result with minimum investment of time, knowledge, effort and money.