The latest stats reveal over 1.5 billion websites operating in the global web. The competition grows rapidly, making it hard for new players to enter the online marketplace. Some beginners think that it is impossible to compete with most recognizable and professionally designed blogs, forums and business portals. We have good news for you!
Contemporary web building niche unveils several popular options newbies can use to launch a quality website. The most popular of them include:
- Online Website Builders – the simplest and the most convenient web building solution. These systems are specially created with the skills and needs of beginners in mind. They are perfect tools to learn the basics of the web building process. Plus, you will see the results of your work at once to be able to make the required edits.
- CMS – Content Management Systems are more complicated as compared to website builders. They initially imply a certain coding background and expertise level. The option may also work nice for newbies granted that they invest enough effort and time into detailed tutorial exploration. A notable drawback of this solution is that it can steer away the urge for website building, if it won’t come up to users’ needs and expectations for some reason.
- Other types of web building software theoretically allow building websites by using simple programs like Notepad. This option, however, lets you build the simplest websites only and it also implies the awareness of coding basics.There is also an opportunity to use frameworks, but this can be a real challenge for a beginner.
That being said, it seems interesting and important for newbies to find out more about each web building option. Let’s review them in details right away.
We Tested Out 5 Of The Best Website Builders For Beginners:
Each of the systems included into the list is worth the attention of the certain target audience. What you need is to set clear goals and define the purpose of your project. As soon as you are done with that, you can opt for the service that adheres to your needs most of all. Let’s review each of the platforms now to figure out, which of them will work better for your project.
Wix – The Best Website Builder for Beginners
Wix – is the best website builder for beginners, which is known for its ease-of-use and convenience. It is good for a solid web shop with different categories and eCommerce settings as well as for a business website or portfolio. Whether you run a construction company or fitness studio, Wix will come in handy. Have a look at its main advantages:
- Perfect for Beginners – Wix uses WYSIWYG technology, which means no coding or graphic design. The award-winning drag-and-drop function lets users easily add media files and new blocks. Editing tools make it easy to change or remove content, customize pages, etc.;
- Professionally Designed Templates – Wix boasts a huge selection of FREE templates. They represent different fields from recreation and sports to eCommerce and design. All templates are mobile optimized, customizable and ready to use on smartphones and tablets;
- Free Plan – a great option for beginners who require a simple or one-page website with minimum content and extra features. Once you need a more complicated website, choose a paid plan including a free domain and hosting;
- Widgets and Add-Ons – Wix App Market is a real godsend for beginners who want to customize their website and make it more user-friendly. Simply choose a widget from the list and attach it to a necessary page;
- Wix ADI – The Artificial Design Intelligence tool is one of the unspeakable highlights of the website builder, which is a great feature for users, who make their first steps in the website creation niche. The feature makes it possible for beginners to create functional projects with appealing design without being aware of web design nuances. Just answer the questions randomly generated by the service and watch the way it uses the submitted information/content to design a project for you;
- Blogging – Wix has its own integrated blogging engine, which allows connecting a blog to your website and managing it with regard to your skills and needs. This is a surefire way to attract user attention and keep your target audience interested in your industry news and updates. The engine allows publishing, scheduling and updating blog posts, enabling user comments etc.;
- eCommerce – Along with the blogging engine, the website builder lets you make use of its powerful eCommerce platform. It allows for web store creation and management. What you should know is that Wix makes it possible to set up small and mid-sized eCommerce projects, which abound in features and options. By setting up a web store, you will be able to sell physical/digital products to drive customer attention, grow your sales volume and generate profit.
Wix lets users easily make website changes without hiring professional developers. It comes as a flexible and cost-effective platform delivering all features you need to build a website. Speaking about the cost aspect, the website builder is one of the most affordable yet feature-laden services. Its free plan allows testing the entire feature set of the website builder, while diversity of paid subscriptions makes it possible to pick the one that comes up to user’s needs most of all.
Thus, Wix plans fall into two groups, namely Standard and Business/eCommerce. Each group, correspondingly, is represented by several other plans that differ in terms and features included. The cost of Standard Wix plans starts with $13/mo, while that of Business subscriptions starts with $23/mo.
WordPress – Best CMS for Beginners
WordPress – is the best and the easiest CMS for newbies, which unveils multiple design customization opportunities and comes with a powerful feature set needed to start and manage full-featured projects. The CMS has distinguished itself as one of the most feature-laden platforms that can be used to launch all types of personal and business projects. Being initially created for blogging purposes, WordPress has evolved into the world-known website development platform that now requires certain web design background and coding awareness. The list of crucial WordPress advantages that matter for newbies is as follows:
- Ease of Installation – As a CMS, WordPress requires preliminary download and installation. Just follow the guidelines the system generates to properly install the platform and start using it for website development;
- Plugin Integration – Apart from ready-made built in extensions and templates, WordPress allows for extensive integration of plugins and themes available on the web. Their collection is rich and impressive, which makes it possible to choose from multiple plugins that can contribute to your website performance;
- Blogging Options – WordPress is initially known as a blogging platform. Correspondingly, it comes with multiple blogging tools and capabilities, which enhance your blog promotion. You can add, edit and schedule posts here, set up RSS feeds and email subscriptions, enable/disable commenting options etc.;
- No Coding Needed – Although, WordPress implies HTML knowledge for thoser users, who intend to start full-featured websites, it is still possible to create a simple project with the CMS for users, who don’t have any coding skills at all;
- Complete Website Customization – WordPress allows for absolute website customization. It lets you create any website layout and structure, upload media files, choose website design elements and functionality that adheres to your project needs.
WordPress is a free Content Management System users can download, install and use without any fees at all. The service also implies integration of external templates and plugins, which are both free and paid. It makes sense to give preference to paid extensions and plugins because of their enhanced quality, safety and functionality.
Along with that, WordPress implies the need to choose a reliable hosting provider as well as purchase a domain name to boost your website reputation. In this respect, Bluehost seems to be the best solution as it is professional, reliable, secure and affordable. What’s more, Bluehost is officially recommended by WordPress as the top choice for the CMS users, who value credibility and functionality above all. The cheapest Bluehost subscription costs $2.95/mo, which is a cost-effective and affordable solution for everyone.
BlueHost – Easiest Hosting Provider to Start With
Bluehost – is a credible, safe and powerful hosting provider, which is easy to start with for users who have never been involved in website development before. This is a great choice for storing any type of project. The platform has distinguished itself as the top hosting provider, which is officially recommended by WordPress due to its reputability, functionality and broad range of services/features provided at reasonable cost. To decide whether the system works well for you or not, have a look at its rich feature set now:
- Flexibility – The hosting provider seamlessly integrates with multiple external services, add-ons and apps, which can boost your project performance, bringing it to the brand new level;
- Safety – Bluehost stands out from the crowd due to its security and attention to spam protection. Thus, the system comes with a broad range of safety tools, including Spam Expert and Spam Hammer, for example. It also provides reliable hotlink protection feature to provide absolute security of website hosted with the system;
- Rich Marketplace – Bluehost boasts a rich integrated marketplace, which offers an opportunity to choose from multiple scripts, apps and add-ons to contribute to your website performance. It’s possible to make use of lots of image galleries, WordPress templates, eCommerce, blogging and marketing tools etc.;
- High Uptime Rates and Fast Page Load Speed – Enhancement of page load speed and uptime rates can bring your website to the brand new level. This is what Bluehost is also concerned with. Improvement of these parameters will result in traffic growth and enhancement of the major website functionality aspects.
When it comes to the pricing aspect, Bluehost proves to be quite an affordable solution. The system has two plans for everyone willing to use its features to the advantage. The cheapest Bluehost subscription will cost you $2.95/mo, offering each and every subscriber an opportunity to use free SSL connection option, unlimited bandwidth, multiple regular WordPress updates and other merits.
Mobirise – Website Building Software for Beginners
Mobirise – is one of the most popular and easy-to-use website building software, which was initially created with the needs and requirements of first-timers in mind. The platform is a perfect solution for first-timers, who appreciate simplicity, convenience and functionality above all. The system requires downloading and installation. It makes it possible to launch and manage all kinds of projects, ranging from one-page websites and up to portfolios and business websites. To find out what exactly Mobirise has to offer you, have a look at the platform’s advantages:
- Content Blocks Selection – The website builder makes it possible to create the structure and layout of your project out of integrated content blocks. They are absolutely customizable and easy-to-manage. Users can easily access the block available in the control panel of their websites to pick those that come up to their needs most. Among the most widely-used blocks, it makes sense to mention image galleries, articles, maps, headers, footers, sliders, media files and many more;
- AMP Support – Mobirise comes with advanced Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) support, which makes it possible to enhance overall website performance along with users’ mobile browsing experience. This eventually helps increase overall web page load time as well as SEO parameters. These factors cannot but contribute to website search engine rating and reputability;
- Choice of Extensions – Mobirise comes with a broad spectrum of integrable extensions, most of which are free and customizable. The range of these add-ons and widgets is quite extensive, making it possible to choose those that match your website functionality and niche. These include Facebook Comments, Soundcloud, Google Analytics, Dropdown Menu, Twitter Feed and many more;
- Domain and Hosting – As an offline web building software, Mobirise implies the need to look for a trusted and secure hosting provider along with the domain choice. There are many credible hosting companies out there you can contact to find the offer that matches your needs most.
Mobirise is a free offline software for each and every user. You can test and use the system for your web design requirements without any fees at all. Mind, however, that you will still need to invest into hosting and domain name to be able to establish reliable web presence. Additionally, you might face the necessity to get some paid extensions to boost your website performance. These include WOW Slider ($29), Icons ($19), Code Editor ($69), PayPal Shopping Cart ($29), All-in-One Kit ($129) and many more.
uKit – WYSIWYG Website Builder for Small Business
uKit – is the easiest WYSIWYG website builder for small business websites, which works well for beginners. The system stands out from the crowd due to its amazing simplicity, high end functionality and affordability. The service comes with the convenient WYSIWYG editor that makes it easy to control all the stages of the website development process in action. Opt for uKit and benefit from the following advantages:
- Mobile Responsive Templates – a selection of stylish and well-designed themes will let you choose a template for any need. All templates are mobile responsive and available free for all uKit users;
- Baseline Promotion – your blog or portfolio require promotion online to stand out. uKit delivers some fundamental SEO tools and settings to ensure higher search engine rankings. Use focused keywords, set meta titles and descriptions;
- Customizable Pages – use available widgets to customize each page and increase users’ engagement. All widgets are free;
- No Tech Skills Required – The use of uKit does not require technical skills, which is one of the most distinctive advantages of the website builder. Users don’t have to be code aware to work with the system – so intuitive and understandable for everyone it is;
- Free SSL Certificate – uKit allows connecting free SSL Certificate to your website to ensure its maximum security, preservation of confidential user’ information and anti-spam protection. This especially matters a lot for websites that contain personal or financial user info that requires protection for third-party access;
- Temporary Website Management Rights – The website builder lets you assign project management rights to those users you plan to cooperate with. Along with that, you can control the process of website development by restricting management rights. What’s more, the system automatically creates the back up version so that you could be able to restore it, when required. This is a handy feature for newbies.
uKit is certainly a good software for those, who search for cheap yet effective website builder for beginners. The system allows putting ease of use on your wallet, getting a worthy website instead. The monthly prices range from $4 to $12. They already include free templates, domain, and hosting. There is also the 14-day trial that lets you test the features of the plans you are interested in to make the right choice afterwards.
Website Builders – The Best Choice for Beginners
Website builders eliminate the need to discuss such issues as HTML, coding or graphic design. The come as a handy tool for newbies who not only seek the opportunity of fast and easy website building, but also want to put an ease on the wallet.
Up-to-date platforms make it easy to handle the creation of any website from a simple one-page resource to a complex webshop or business card. The main advantages for beginners are as follows:
- Ease-of-Use – no coding or web design skills are required. Start creating a solid website and publish it within a couple of hours;
- Cost-Effective Solution – choose a matching plan and save on free domain and hosting provided by website building platforms. Benefit from free plans;
- Adaptive Templates – build a mobile-ready website with just a several clicks away. Let your users access your website using any mobile device despite OS, screen resolution and size;
- Features and Add-Ons – modern software delivers enough handful features including basic SEO settings, widgets, third-party integrations and more.
As a result, beginners get a single solution to resolve multiple tasks. Users save money and get a bunch of effective tools to build, publish and promote their newly established websites without special skills.
What Is The Best Website Builder for Newbies?
The choice of the right website builder should depend upon several must-have factors.The most important of them are the complexity and type of the project you intend to develop, the features you wish to implement, your web design proficiency, the budget you plan to invest into the project and some other crucial nuances. Each of the systems listed above comes up to the completion of a certain web design task and offers a specific feature set needed to start and manage websites with it.
While uKit is, probably, the cheapest platform available on the web perfect for building catchy portfolios and blogs, Wix boasts a wider range of advanced features like eCommerce and SEO. WordPress is the best CMS you can master to start a personal/business website, although, it requires certain web design background and coding proficiency. Mobirise is the easiest offline website builder that works great for beginners, while Bluehost is the safest and the most flexible hosting provider you can pick to store and manage your project.
Other Ways to Build a Website for Beginners
The fact that you are a newbie doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try learning HTML basics to build high quality websites from scratch. If you intend to move in this direction, the simplest tool to start with is a Notepad or any other text editor. In this case, the structure of any website you’ll work at will have the following look:
<title>My Web Page Name</title>
<meta name=”description” content=”
This is – the upper website part”
<p>Website Text and Image.</p>
As a rule, such files are saved in the txt format. Prior to saving them, though, you should manually change the format to HTML. Such files will automatically open in the browser, which is convenient for visitors.
As soon as you master the “code science”, you can try switching to more complicated programs – frameworks. These programs require strong knowledge of coding. Using them is sometimes a challenge for web design pros, not to mention newbies.
Frameworks are generally used to develop complicated technical projects, bulky and large online stores with individual structure and web applications. It takes much time and effort to work with them. Thus, these programs work best for web studios and web design professionals. As of today, the most well-known frameworks include Ruby on Rails, Django, Yii, Symphony, Flask, Padrino etc.
Building a Website From Scratch for Beginners: How to Start?
Getting started with a new website is probably the most challenging task for beginners. Most of them are afraid of dealing with codes and web design. Others cannot afford hiring custom development teams. Luckily, website builders come as a good solution to all problems. However, you need to handle some core issues and steps on your own:
- Define the Goal – first of all, set clear targets and define the purpose of your website. Why do you need it? How can it be helpful for users? What type of content would it contain? Defining the goals will let you choose the right platform that meets your needs and website complexity.
- Choose a Platform – now, you have a clear vision of how your website will serve its users. You understand the features it should have as well as general complexity. It is high time you chose software depending on your goals. Whether you need a simple blog or a digital store, opt for a platform with necessary tools and features.
- Pick a Domain – a domain is a vital part of your future website. Make it unique and relevant to the content of your website. If you act as a fitness coach, use your surname and keywords related to your niche. Website builders generally offer free domain.
- Choose a Hosting – now you need to choose a place to store your website and its files. Choose a hosting with enough storage facilities and bandwidth. Website builders’ paid plans include free hosting to meet any requirements depending on your website complexity.
- Start Writing – now, you need to fill your website with content. Start writing texts to all available web pages and section describing your services or goods, add guest posts for your blog. Make sure you provide relevant content that is search engine friendly. Website builders have baseline SEO tools that let you easily focus on a specific keyword or phrase.
- Add Media Content – the latest researches show that videos and high-quality images improve users’ engagement. Add different media content of any format to stand out with a simple drag-and-drop section delivered by website builders.
- Get Social – social networks are still the driving force online. Whenever you need to increase website’s recognition, add social sharing buttons to let users interact with the website via platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Keep your content constantly updated and relevant, compare, contrast your main competitors in the niche, and make your website better.
Building a website from scratch sounds like a nightmare for beginners without coding skills. At the same time, limited budgets prevent them from hiring custom developers that cost a fortune. Luckily, there are several cheap and affordable web building options beginners might consider based on their web design expertise, skillfulness, time, effort and money they are ready to invest. The most popular solutions currently include online website builders, CMS and other ways of launching a website.
- Website builders are the easiest and the most convenient services to be used for web building needs. They are so intuitive and understandable that even beginners can cope with their features and use them to the advantage. Among a variety of website builders one can find in the contemporary niche, Wix and uKit proved to be the simplest and the most affordable solutions for newbies. They are easy to use, flexible and ensure decent results, while the cost is pretty affordable.
- CMS come with more advanced feature sets and options than website builders. This, however, doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to use content management systems, if you are a newbie. If you have the desire to explore these services, you should get ready that you’ll need effort and time to cope with the task. WordPress is great for a good start. It comes with multiple tutorials, manuals and online communities providing beginners with how-to guidelines that will help you cope with the task with maximum efficacy and minimum waste of time.
- As to the other web building ways, beginners may start with mastering coding basics by using any html editor. This option, however, may work well for practicing and improving the skills, but not for regular use. This is because it is already outdated and not used by professionals. If you feel that you have practiced enough and are ready to proceed to more complex systems, you can use frameworks. These platforms are the most challenging and only proficient web designers may launch powerful websites with them.
Whatever option you will eventually go for, it always makes sense to test it first. However, if you know right from the start that your web design expertise won’t be enough to use a complex platform, website builders are always at hand. By using these systems, you will achieve decent result with minimum investment of time, knowledge, effort and money.