Every time you think of a prominent and cost-effective hosting provider, Bluehost is probably the first company that comes up to your mind. A trusted platform has proved to be the #1 choice for millions of website owners.
On the other hand, 1&1 IONOS (previously known as 1and1) comes as a cheaper alternative with some worthy features that might work well for a small website that does not crave for an extended feature set.
A Quick Snapshot:
1&1 IONOS is a budget web hosting that is pretty rich with security features available at a low price. The entry plan will cost users $1 per month. Of course, you should not expect enhanced functionality for that price. However, the system has solutions compatible with the various OS (Windows and Linux) in addition to a relatively good uptime.
Bluehost is one of the most trusted hosting providers with more than 23 years of experience. The company brings flexible server solutions to meet customers’ need despite the website complexity, sizes or type. The platform is on the list of top companies when it comes to performance, which is the crucial factor for your web projects.
The two companies establish different approaches when delivering their hosting services. While Bluehost is mainly aimed at providing flexible server solutions, 1&1 was launched to meet low-budget expectations. Let’s have a look at Bluehost vs 1and1 comparison in details.
1. Hosting Features
1&1. 1and1 has several good hosting options to meet different needs. However, working with the system might be a hassle especially for the first time. The platform is not that easy to use as some might expect. On the other hand, the platform is pretty scalable in addition to backend apps available for installation. So, the key features are as follows:
- Numerous Backend Features – the system has ready-to-use backend features great for popular CMS platforms like WordPress or Joomla. However, this fact makes the platform very difficult to use especially for beginners with the lack of experience. Building and managing websites on 1&1 is very complicated.
- cPanel – the company has a custom control panel. It is far from being user-friendly, which is another obstacle n the way to going online. Traditional cPanel might appear to be a good way out. The problem is that it is available only for VPS and cloud hosting users, which is not quite fair.
- Up-to-Date Technologies – the good news is that 1&1 uses the latest technologies to ensure a high performance level. The system runs on the latest PHP version with extended MB memory limits.
- Custom CDN – the system has its own content delivery network also known under the RailGun name. It ensures fast loading speed with no need to have various data centers located in different parts of the world.
- Wide Hosting Range – the platform offers several hosting solutions depending on customers needs. They include WP-based hosting, Linux and Windows plans, dedicated and VPS offers in addition to web hosting for agencies.
- Mobile Application – users will appreciate the platform’s admin mobile app to manage websites right from the smartphone or any other type of mobile device. Hosting Manager App is available free.
- Website and Store Builder – the system has tools to build different website type from scratch. Choose one of the available templates with built-in features, integrated SEO and professional design and go online with your products or services.
Bluehost. Bluehost is a trusted platform with all the necessary features in the pack. It is good for popular CMS like WordPress. At the same time, it has some advanced technologies to let users build their own websites from scratch. It is easy to use and boasts limitless customization functionality:
- User-Friendly Interface – unlike 1&1, Bluehost is great for beginners. It has a user-friendly cPanel with a seamless way to switch to a WordPress dashboard.
- Bluehost Marketplace – the system makes it easy to customize your website with hundreds of add-ons and apps. Users may integrate various services and third-party tools, add new scripts, download plugins, and more. Simply visit the system’s marketplace and look for the add-on you may need.
- Enhanced Scalability – Bluehost makes it easier for users to grow their online business thanks to a set of eCommerce features. Setting a digital store has never been easier before. Opt for advanced WooCommerce app or integrate your site with services like Agora. To boost sales.
- SEO-Friendly Websites – launch SEO friendly websites and get higher ranks with the help of customized SEO strategies developed by Bluehost experienced SEO specialists.
- Wide Option of Hosting Solutions – users can choose from dedicated hosting offers as well as craving for extended feature available with cloud and VPS hosting plans. The system has a separate offer or resellers.
1and1 vs Bluehost. Bluehost looks like a more versatile and flexible platform in terms of hosting options. At the same time, it is much easier to use and will; work great for newbies. 1&1 is bit more complicated for non-technicians who crave for improved user-friendliness.
1&1. 1and1 provides good enough performance although the loading speed could be better. On the other hand, the platform uses latest technologies and does its best to ensure good uptime and page load speed.
- Great Uptime – the uptime rate is 99.9%, which is not bad at all. It is equal to the average rate around the globe.
- Hosting Speed – this is where 1&1 certainly lacks some technological background. According to the tests, the average hosting speed is 628ms when it comes to the first view. The rate improves a bit showing 448ms for a repeat view.
- Page Speed – 1&1 looks like a hopeless loser here with only 1 363ms page loading time although the first-byte delivery speed is about 413ms.
- Dual Platform technology – to compensate for the lack of loading speed, 1&1 uses the same platform to keep servers and storage together. It helps to ensure a faster website speed for the users.
- HTTP/2 protocol – the platform’s web servers run on the HTTP/2 protocol featuring header compression and multiplexing to increase the loading speed.
Bluehost. Bluehost is in the hosting providers’ TOP list with the best performance in terms of uptime and loading speed. The company has improved its performance characteristics drastically over the years to let customers benefit from the following:
- Perfect Uptime – the uptime rate is close to perfection depicting 99.99%. It means stable website operation despite the traffic spikes or unexpected breakdowns.
- Fast Loading Speed – the page loading speed is 424ms, which is faster than the average hosting rate. For many years, Bluehost remains in the top 5 of the fastest hosting providers with such a result.
- Worldwide Data Centers – unlike 1&1, Bluehost does not keep servers and storage on a single platform. It has several data centers around the globe to deliver better users’ experience to visitors in Asia, The United States, and Europe.
1&1 vs Bluehost. Although 1&1 does its best to deliver solid hosting performance, Bluehost looks like an obvious winner in terms of uptime and page loading speed. In addition, data centers ensure faster physical access.
1&1. 1and1 takes care of hosting and website security. This is where it certainly does its best using the latest technologies like SiteLock, SSL encryption, etc. The only problem is that all those features are not free. You will have to pay for them, which makes 1&1 not as cost-effective as we may have thought from the start:
- DDoS Security – the system uses distributed DDoS protection means to let customers stay online and protected from I outer attacks and hackers.
- Restore and Backups – the system automatically handles website and data backups every 6 days making it easy for users to opt for recent points to restore data that was accidentally deleted or lost anyhow.
- SiteLock Integration and SSL – users will get an SSL certificate as well as SiteLock malware protection. However, they are available in Expert and Pro plans.
Bluehost. Bluehost pay a lot of attention to its security features keeping them up-to-date and effective. The platform has several security packages that serve various needs. For example, the anti-spam package consists of:
- Spam Hammer.
- Spam Expert.
- Apache Spam Assassin.
As for the digital protection from DDoS attacks and other incoming threats, Bluehost offers the following security means:
- Access to SSH.
- DDOS security.
- Site access blockage.
- IP blacklist.
- CloudFare integration and more.
1&1 vs Bluehost. Both platforms use advanced security technologies. On the other hand, Bluehost appears to be even more cost-effective and economical hosting solution, while 1&1 establishes extra charges for its protection tools.
4. Customer Support
1&1. 1and1 tries to take good care of its customers. The platform has extended customer support with multiple ways to get in touch or resolve various issues on your own. Here are some ways to contact the support team:
- By Phone for an instant reply.
- Callback feature to get a call from 1&1 specialists.
- Online support to get an immediate solution to the problem.
- Help Center with a huge selection of articles and topics that cover all possible aspects from domains and hosting infrastructure to eCommerce settings and data protection.
Bluehost. Bluehost also has a professional support team available through various channels. You can get in touch using a traditional ticketing system or write an email. The platform has a handy Live Chat function as well as phone number to contact the support team instantly. Users will also find detailed tutorials, articles, topics, and other helpful written materials.
Bluehost vs 1&1. Getting in touch with the support team of any of the reviewed platforms will hardly be a challenge., This is where we are likely to have a draw with both Bluehost and 1&1 offering multiple ways to lend a hand whenever needed.
5. Pricing Policy
1&1. As it was mentioned before, 1&1 positions itself as a budget and low-cost hosting provider. Well, the truth is it is really cheap with a low entry price However, get ready to pay for each and every new extension. From this point of view, a system is hardly an economical option.
The hosting plans are as follows:
- Business Plan – it costs $1 per month and $8/mo renewal. It is good for a single web project with free domain and 100GB of storage.
- Pro Plan – it costs $1 per month and $10/mo renewal. It is good for larger web projects (up to 5 websites) with free domain and 250GB of storage and SiteLock protection.
- Expert Plan – it costs $1 per month and $14/mo renewal. Build up to 50 websites with a full security package and 500GB of storage.
Bluehost. Bluehost does not charge extra or hidden fees. The pricing policy is pretty clear. At least, you always know what you get for the money you pay. Here are the plans you might appreciate:
- Basic – $2.95/mo featuring 50GB of storage, unlimited bandwidth, free domain, and SSL.
- Plus – $5.45/mo. featuring basic functionality + unlimited SSD storage and websites, unlimited domains, Spam experts and ad credits.
- Choice – $5.45/mo with Plus features + domain privacy and site backups.
- Pro – $13.95/mo with all unlimited and free features in the pack including security.
You can also opt for cloud hosting solutions starting from $6.95/month. If you need a VPS hosting, you should be ready to pay from $19/99. Dedicated hosting package is the best bet for larger scalable projects. The entry price is $79.99 per month.
1and1 vs Bluehost. Although 1&1 claims to be a cheaper option, Bluehost certainly looks like a better option in terms of price economy especially if you are planning to launch a long-lasting project instead of simple small website for current needs. There are no hidden fees or overcharged renewals, while the basic plan has enough features to feel safe and secured with a new website.
The Bottom Line
Despite the fact, there appear more hosting providers that look cheaper, at first sight, some trusted options like Bluehost look unshakable. It is mainly due to constant updates latest technological trends implemented in their platforms.
1&1 IONOS made a good effort to make a breakthrough and leave competitors behind. It certainly has enough flexibility to meet various needs. The system lets you go online with various website types featuring a good level of security and performance, although some plans are overpriced when it comes to long-running projects.
Bluehost may oppose any offer available on the web. It is easy to use and compatible with major CMS platforms. It delivers tons of add-ons and features for website customization. The system boasts affordable prices and probably the widest selection of server solutions on the web.
Summing up today’s rumble, 1and1 will work fine if you simply need a reliable hosting for a small website to meet you current goals. On the other hand, Bluehost is a better option for scalable durable projects that you may grow and expand in the long run.
Overview Comparison Chart