IONOS by 1&1, a leading web hosting provider, has been in the sphere since 1988. Currently, it’s Europe’s largest website hosting provider with over 12 million domains worldwide. The company has established 15 facilities in 9 countries. It has incorporated more than 2,000 employees in around 40 countries to service over 8 million customers worldwide.
With its broad range of packages, as well as the ability to sell on Facebook, eBay, Amazon, etc, the platform works for everyone from internet store newbies to large scale businesses.
To find out if it meets your requirements, too, we suggest having a look through this detailed review on both the company’s web hosting and website building services.
IONOS Web Hosting Review
1&1 IONOS web host has been established to satisfy the requirements and expectations of businesses in search of reasonably priced yet feature-rich hosting. It has schemed an impressive range of packages that coincide with the needs of both small and enterprise-class customers.
IONOS Host’s Features
IONOS has perhaps all the features one would expect from an industry-leading hosting company. It comes with the necessary apps and tools introduced below:
- Dedicated SSL Certificate
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Email account support
- Cloudflare CDN
- Top-notch plugins and add-ons
- Personal assistance.
Unfortunately, the IONOS web hosting provider doesn’t support domain or site migration. But if you still wish to migrate your website to IONOS you can always make use of third-party services. On the official website of IONOS, you can find some grandiose educational materials on how to migrate a site from one host to another.
IONOS Host’s Performance
Every client searches for a credible service that can ensure the smooth running of their website since the loading speeds make an important indicator in conversation rates, search engine rankings, and user experience. Here is where we look at a host’s uptime and downtime guarantees. Uptime showcases how long a website is live and runs, while the downtime shows how frequently the same website goes down becoming inaccessible for visitors. Obviously, there’s no 100% uptime, yet the best hosting companies strive to get as close to that perfect scale as possible. And IONOS is among them with such an impressive uptime rate as 99.98%.
The speed of a website’s launching is essential, too since around 32% of visitors leave the website if it doesn’t open in two seconds. Hence, the page load times can break a website’s reputation. IONOS doesn’t claim to be the fastest host, yet it delivers quite decent results in terms of loading times. With 1.23s Full Page Load Time, IONOS is ahead of a number of reputable competitors.
And finally, the SSD storage, RailGun CDN, and HTTP/2 protocol tools and features all boost the host’s performance.
IONOS Host Security
The company states that the security of all its products and apps makes the core of their business. It involves a GeoTrust Dedicated SSL Certificate completely free with its Developer Shared Hosting, Server, and Developer eShop packages to protect the security of the data that are transmitted from the users to the website and vice versa. However, if the user has obtained another package, they can buy the Certificate as an extra addon at the cost of $20 per year. The full GeoTrust True BusinessID Extended Validation SSL Certificate, meanwhile, costs $200 per year and is worth every dollar.
Nevertheless, as far as you’re interested in free security options, IONOS provides its customers with a free SSL Wildcard and Site Scan from SiteLock. The latter guarantees strong protection against malware, hackers, and unauthorized access. Besides, a user can also switch on the SiteLock Trust Seal on their website so that upon launching the site the visitors can see the real-time verification that the website is completely secure.
IONOS Website Builder Review
IONOS is a pioneer in the industry of website building schemed for the professional. All the features, designs, and even the interface are dedicated to helping a small business to enter the online world of intense struggling between businesses honorably. It’s easy and quick to use. However, the results always leave clients with mouths opened wide. It has an impressive collection of features that will appear useful for both beginners and experts. Thanks to the image editor, any products you want to show off on your website appear in the best light, while around 17, 000 stock pictures, the drag-and-drop editor, responsive sites, numerous design elements, and a decent bunch of other features result in creating professional-looking sites.
Design and Templates
If you doubt you won’t find an appropriate template for your website, with IONOS you should worry. This website builder has one of the most remarkable collections of templates with over 400 templates spanning diverse categories such as:
- retail & commerce
- professional services
- health & beauty
- arts & leisure
- auto & transportation
- restaurant & tourism
- construction & real estate
- personal page
- blank templates
The vast majority of these templates are well-designed and ensure a professional-looking website in the end. All of them are mobile responsive. You can always check how your website will look on a tablet and smartphone through the respective icons on the upper panel. The templates are completely customizable, i.e. you can change the colors, move the sections, add new elements, and even change the whole template if the final result doesn’t satisfy you.
IONOS Website Builder Features
After giving a name to your future website and choosing an appropriate template, you will open a window to customize it. The features are numerous, yet all are classified into appropriate sections to spot and use easily. Let’s review them all.
The feature allows users to customize the global text (the style, size, color, and format of fonts, the text direction and links of every paragraph), buttons, images, rows, site background, and site layout. Thanks to the feature, you can add your unique signature to your website.
IONOS enables adding as many pages to your newly created website as necessary. From this part, you can set up and customize your Home, Gallery, Contact Us pages, as well as PopUps.
If you are concerned about adding widgets or extra features in IONOS by 1&1, you will find the whole process very easy. Drag and drop whatever you wish from the left side panel right on your website. The use of this feature reminds PowerPoint, yet appears richer with options. All the widgets here are categorized yet you can make use of the search bar if you have something specific in mind.
1&1 IONOS has an impressive library of templates to personalize your business campaign. The feature lets you set rules, target on the basis of location, time, or even the used device, and control the number of your site visitors.
This feature is only for those who have booked the Shop subscription. Otherwise, by clicking on any option from this feature, you will be offered to upgrade your account. Overall, 3 Store packages are suggested to IONOS users – Online Store, Online Store Advanced, and Online Store expert. All the packages come at no risk and can be canceled at any time.
If you are using IONOS for constructing your personal blog, you will find the Blog tool really helpful. From this feature, you can manage your posts, add new ones, customize it and change settings (alter the description, title, blog name, etc.), and edit post layout.
IONOS Website Builder Settings
Just like the range of features, the settings are multiple and all handy. You can access the settings section from the left side panel to add the final touches to your already shaped website. Here the user is given the right to set site icons (social network images, Favicon, and home screen icons), site URL and redirect URL, SEO, backup site, the 404 Page, etc. 1&1 IONOS also offers multilingual translation so that its users won’t have to depend on merely the Google Translate which appears flakey most of the time. In fact, the website builder suggests creating a site in one of the 28 languages available from Swedish to Vietnamese. Moreover, you can have your site created in English and then translated into several of the available languages so that your customers can easily find the language switcher icon once they visit your site. This is an amazing tool especially for those who work internationally.
Pros and Cons
There’s no such concept as a universally perfect website builder since different clients have different requirements. So, if 1&1 IONOS appears a fabulous platform for most users, it can disappoint some due to lacking any particular feature anticipated (this can be hardly a case since the site builder comes packed with all possible tools). See what characteristics we have separated as pros and cons to determine if the service is worth your choice.
| ✔ Scalable tools that help small businesses grow and big ones keep their positions on the online platform|
✔ Numerous templates covering a broad array of industries
✔ Easy embeddable features
✔ Ecommerce options available
✔ Great packages for the price
|✘ The interface looks somewhat dated|
Plans and Pricing
All IONOS hosting plans have a generous introductory offer that impressively decreases the monthly rate for the first several months depending on the plan you choose. It’s a great feature yet one should be attentive to check the renewal rates after the introductory period is over even before choosing an IONOS hosting plan. All hosting plans are offered with a free domain and an SSL wildcard certificate.
Perhaps the most inexpensive hosting plan by IONOS is the Shared Hosting that ranges from $1 to $8 per month. These prices, however, are set for the introductory 12-month period. After it, the plan will cost $6 to $16 per month. The Shared Hosting by IONOS is great for one website and for numerous large website projects. The Shared Expert package, which is the most generous one in the plan, offers unlimited storage, unlimited databases, 100 email accounts, maximum MEM and CPU resources, SiteScan malware protection, and CDN. The plan provides the chance to handle 500 visitors a minute on one site.
The cloud-powered VPS plans, designed to provide clients with the necessary tools for running websites smoothly, start at a budget-friendly $2 per month for 10GB of SSD storage, 512MB of RAM, and limitless data transfers. The plan’s top-tier XXL package, meanwhile, ensures 12 GB of RAM, 240GB of SSD, and limitless data transfers for up to 6 vCores CPUs at only $18 per month. After using the plan for 6 months, the prices will rise from $7 to $35 per month.
If you are searching for a more powerful yet non-cloud hosting format, the Dedicated web hosting plan by IONOS offered at $45 per month starting price plus 50$ for the setup will meet your requirements. This hosting plan offers up to 64GB of RAM, 800 GB Intel SSD Storage, as well as limitless traffic, a free domain, Site Scan, and RailGun content delivery network. The most powerful XL-64 SSD package of this plan comes at a cost of $140 per month and is great for Intel Xeon E3-1270 v6, 4 Cores x 3.8 GHz.
Despite starting at only $3 per month, the IONOS WordPress web hosting plan is flexible enough to power a huge company (even one from the Fortune 500 list). The price for this plan can rise up to 8$ per month (after 12 months the price becomes $16/month) yet at this cost, it will offer you unlimited SSD storage, unlimited 2GB databases, professional email with 2GB mailbox, enhanced MEM and CPU resources, Railgun Content Delivery Network, Site Scan and repair malware protection, a free domain for 1 year, and a free Wildcard SSL Certificate.
Pricing for IONOS Website Builder
All the packages of the IONOS website builder come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. They are also backed with individual support. Here are the tiers for building a website:
- Starter – $1 per month (after 12 months the price becomes $5 per month). The intuitive website editor for beginners helps to build a website quickly even without any experience. It comes with a free domain for 1 year, professional email, easily customizable templates that have pre-built sections, colors, and designs.
- Plus – $5 per month (after 12 months the price becomes $10 per month). This powerful editor for experienced agencies, designers, and developers comes with a free domain for a year, customizable professional templates with full design freedom, the multilingual feature, HTML and CSS editing. The IONOS Plus plan creates dynamic sites with animations and video backgrounds.
- Pro – $10 per month (after 12 months the price becomes $15 per month). The plan comes with dynamic personalization features, a free domain for 1 year, professional email, customizable professional templates with full design freedom, the multilingual feature, HTML and CSS editing. The IONOS Plus plan creates dynamic sites with animations and video backgrounds, as well as targeted content delivery and personalization.
1&1 IONOS also offers to build a website for its clients. These services are offered in three plans:
- Design Service S – $30 per month with a $199 setup price. The plan is perfect for simple sites with minimal edits. It comes with a website builder tool, design consultation, and a site with 3 custom pages. IONOS ensures 1 site edit every quarter.
- Design Service M – $45 per month with a $199 setup price. The plan creates medium-sized sites with regular edits. It comes with a website builder tool, design consultation, and a site with 5 custom pages. IONOS ensures 1 site edit every month.
- Design Service L – $60 per month with a $199 setup price. The plan enables creating large sites with frequent edits. It comes with a website builder tool, design consultation, and a site with 7 custom pages. IONOS ensures unlimited site edits if you choose this plan.
If you already have your website and want to boost your sales, IONOS has that covered, too. The E-commerce plans aim at expanding your search. They come with no transaction fees, round-the-clock support, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. See the plan tiers introduced in detail here:
- Starter – $1 per month (after 12 months the price will be $12 per month). This plan offers perhaps the most straightforward way of setting up an internet shop and starting selling online shortly afterward. It offers to sell up to 500 non-digital products/services, a free domain for a whole year plus an SSL certificate, and a professional email. The package includes pre-designed layouts with a chance to make a change with only one click. With it, you can offer your customers some of the most popular payment and shipping methods including FedEx/UPS shipping, PayPal and credit payments, etc. Advertise, synchronize, and sell products on Instagram and Facebook with the Starter by IONOS.
- Plus – $5 per month (after 6 months the price will be $20 per month). This plan is great for customizing every aspect of an internet shop. It offers to sell up to 5,000 non-digital products/services on the created website, marketplaces, and social media, a free domain for a whole year plus an SSL certificate, and a professional email. The package includes professional templates with an impressively broad array of customization options. With it, you can offer your customers some of the most popular payment and shipping methods including FedEx/UPS shipping, PayPal and credit payments, etc. Advertise, synchronize, and sell products on Instagram, Facebook, and other social platforms. With the Plus e-commerce plan by IONOS you can also sell and track sales on Google (Google Analytics, Goog;e Ads, and other options are available).
- Pro – $25 per month (after 6 months the price will be $35 per month). This plan suggests taking further your already well-built website and adding some extra features such as wish Instagram Shops, wish lists, etc. It offers to sell up to 10,000 physical and digital products/services, a free domain for a whole year plus an SSL certificate, and professional email. The package includes an extensive range of fully customizable expert templates with and HTML/CSS editing. With it, you can offer your customers some of the most popular payment and shipping methods including FedEx/UPS shipping, PayPal and credit payments, etc. Advertise, synchronize, and sell products on Instagram, Facebook, and other social media environments. Opting for the Pro e-commerce package by IONOS, you can start selling and tracking the sales on Google, managing your eshop on the go through the service’s app, make the shop multilingual, add favorites and wish lists.
- Expert – $35 per month (after 6 months the price will be $50 per month). This advanced plan suggests unlocking the full potential of eCommerce. It offers to sell an unlimited number of physical and digital products/services with the IONOS B2B eCommerce solution. The plan provides a free domain for a whole year plus an SSL certificate, professional email, the chance to add wish lists and favorites. The package includes an extensive range of fully customizable expert templates with and HTML/CSS editing. With it, you can offer your customers some of the most popular payment and shipping methods including FedEx/UPS shipping, PayPal and credit payments, etc. Advertise, synchronize, and sell products on Instagram, Facebook, Shopzilla, PriceGrabber, and other social media environments. Opting for the Expert e-commerce package by IONOS, you can start selling and tracking the sales on Google, eBay and Amazon via Codisto. The plan enables Easy POS App and Square POS. If you want to include wholesaling into your business, volume discounts, customer group pricing, and other features are at your disposal.
1&1 offers 24/7 customer support to all its users. There are several ways of contacting tech support, but the company encourages you to have a look at the well-organized help center first. Here you will come across solutions to the most probable issues and problems. Other than the Help Center, 1&1 introduces an extended FAQ, video tutorials, and Blog.
However, if you still wish to get in touch with the company representative, 1&1 suggests activating your Personal Consultant completely free of charge. This is the best way of getting personal assistance right from your account whenever you need it.
Other support contact methods involve telephone support, live online chat (available 8 AM to 8 PM), and email.
Launching and testing the IONOS web hosting platform you instantly get the feeling of dealing with a top contender. And that’s what it is. This hosting service with a top-notch infrastructure offers wallet-friendly and full-featured fast hosting.
If we are to speak about the web building tool IONOS, here we got an even more impressive experience. The instrument provides a perfect balance between customizability and ease of use. It offers great value plans, especially for established large businesses. The versatility of options offered by 1&1 IONOS website builder may appear somewhat complex and confusing at first glance for first-time users. However, due to being neatly organized into features and categories, you will eventually learn how to spot whatever you are searching for easily. The service comes with an ordinary drag-and-drop editor, web personalization, email marketing, and so much more. Here you won’t see any striking limitations on storage and bandwidth.
Nevertheless, despite all these praiseful features, IONOS appears to be a wonderful platform especially for those who want to establish a serious website to promote their business rather than a small website for personal use or as a small organization. If what you aim to establish is a small-scale business or a website, IONOS may appear too complicated for you with its extensive range of features.