I’ve already written dozens of website builders reviews comparing the most powerful platforms on the web, and given many tips on how to select the one that will work best for your particular case. Now, when you’ve decided on the platform (I hope you did 🙂 if not – go to the Best Website Builders Reviews section) it’s time to speak about the actual process of website building that starts with web design.
In this post I’m going to discuss the most common mistakes web designers make when resolving their creative tasks. Unfortunately, these mistakes are common both among the experienced designers, and beginners. I hope that this post will give you some insights on how to make your pieces of work more responsive, user- and SEO- friendly.
The Importance of Cooperation
One of the most common problems of poorly designed websites is the lack of cooperation between designers, developers and marketologists. As a rule, the situation is as follows: web designers strive to express their uniqueness sacrificing UX and SEO, while web developers lack the gene of creativity to transform the website’s functionality into an attractive web presence. And when there’s no link between these parties, everything falls apart. The solution is the cooperation and understanding the basic principles of marketing, search engine optimization and usability. In fact, it’s not as difficult as it may seem from the start.
The Three Pillars of a Successful Web Design
If you can confidently answer the following three questions when you land at a new website, this website is worth your attention. And if you can’t – you’re wasting your time:
- Where am I?
- What do they offer?
- Why should I use their services?
As you can see, everything is as simple and straightforward as possible. And your web design should immediately answer these questions. Nothing else. Go to the most powerful websites and check out their layouts – they’re clear, neat and uncluttered. They don’t have ubiquitous pop-ups, banners and distracting pictures.
Your visitor should clearly understand the essence of your service. Remember that your first-time visitor doesn’t know your website/product as good as you do – so, please, respect your customers – help them navigate through your website effortlessly.
How to Improve Your Web Design?
Actually, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for web design improvement. It depends on the current condition of your website and the ultimate goal of your undertaking. However, there are some general suggestions on how to avoid common web design mistakes:
- Try to reflect the essence of the company you represent.
- Get a professional consultation from a SEO assistant and a marketologist in order to create a SEO-friendly web design from the start (rather than redesigning every page from scratch when the design appears to be unfriendly).
- Educate yourself on the freshest trends in web design: subscribe to the popular online resources, keep in touch with other designers, etc.
Usually, they will recommend you doing the following:
- Simplifying the overall design.
- Implementing Search option.
- Improving website’s navigation.
- Meeting your customers’ expectations (‘About Us’ section must contain information about the company, while ‘Contacts’ must furnish the most accurate contact data, etc.).
- Implementing some of the freshest tendencies: huge background pictures, infinite scrolling, fixed header pane and alike.
It’s important to realize that web design isn’t a separate stage of creating a website, it’s an integral part of the dynamic process that requires understanding the basics of marketing and optimization. If you want to be a web designer who is worth his/her salt, you need to have a SEO and marketing genes in your DNA.